[Vfw-times] MK: On Lutins

Oren Otter bevary at atcjet.net
Fri Dec 17 03:55:30 CST 1999

On Lutins
by Oren the Otter

	From the time of my arrival within the valley of Metamor from my homeland
of Hipocc, I have had numerous occasions to study the unusual species of
humanoid known as the lutin.  Many of the citizens of Metamor have taken it
upon themselves to study and to write reports on the lutins.  It seemed
good to me as well, therefore, to make a record of what I have seen and
heard of the lutins.
	While in my homeland, I had never before heard the word "lutin", although
they bear a striking resemblance to goblins, creatures spoken of in myth
and legends, used by parents to frighten recalcitrant children into
obedience.  Indeed, I have even heard the term "goblin" used in reference
to these lutins.  It was not until my arrival at Metamor Keep, however,
that I heard the term "lutin", though since that day I have heard it
without cessation.
	Physically, the lutins are not very different from humans.  Though I have
heard many humans and former humans describe them as grotesque, I myself
have seen very little of their physical appearance which offended my sense
of beauty.  The average lutin male is about four feet in height, five being
unusually tall, and six feet being positively behemoth among them.  The
average female stands a little over three and a half feet high.  The most
noticeable feature of the lutin is the green skin.  I personally have seen
shades which range from a mossy brown to aquamarine to a pale lime color.
In some cases, the green coloration was light enough to let the red of
blood vessels show through the lips and eyelids.  In other cases, these
same parts were as green as grass.
	It is highly uncommon to find a lutin who is not heavily muscled.  This
is, no doubt, due to their highly aggressive and competitive lifestyle.
Because lutins are indigenous to a land of scarcity and extremes, they
must, of necessity, be physically hardy and tough and able to compete for
food, fuel, and property.  It is only the most aggressive and powerful of
the lutins who can boast any comfort in their lifestyles.  This is not
unheard of, however.  I myself have heard the report from one who was a
member of such a lutin's household.
	The only real hope of a lutin who is not physically powerful is to learn
magic.  Magic does indeed exist among the lutins, though it does seem to be
extremely limited.  Those few lutins able to learn magic are generally
taught fire-related magic, probably for its versatility in the barren
wastes of the north.  Among the more elite tribes, other unusual powers do
exist.  I personally can attest to the existence of werebeasts and
psionically endowed lutins among the more remote tribes, and I believe that
there may be more.
	Concerning appearances once again, the chief item that I can agree on as
to its uncomeliness is a lutin's hygiene.  It is a very uncommon practice
for lutins to bathe, probably owing to the fact that water is not as
plentiful in the north as it is to us in the south, and so bathing is
considered frivolous and wasteful.  As a result, lutins are frequently
greasy, both in appearance and texture, and carry the smell of ripe feces.
	However, among lutins who do bathe, I can find nothing physically
disagreeable.

	To illustrate this point, I would call the reader's attention to two
unusual cases.  Not long ago, a lutin by the name of "Grunch" came to
Metamor Keep.  Shortly thereafter, a second lutin, a female by the name of
Vitra arrived.  Each one was given a good scrubbing accompanied by clean
clothing.  Afterward, their appearance and smell, with the exception of
their color and their stature, were practically indistinguishable from the
average human.

	These cases have also shown me, and a number of my colleagues, that lutins
can also be highly intelligent.  To be fair, both Grunch and Vitra are part
human.  Grunch, one quarter, and Vitra, half.  However, contact with other
lutins, such as the infamous Kayrok and the werebat Sytet have led me to
believe that the average lutin is far more intelligent and has a far
greater capacity for learning than that for which our people give them credit.
	I am reminded of one of the first stories written by Grunch.  It consisted
of only a few lines, and the plot consisted of a cow turning into corn.
Since that time, he has shown a near mastery of the common language, and
has begun to turn out novel length stories which are read with great
interest. (Normally by those who do not know that they were written by a
lutin.)  In fact, after discovering that two of our works were startlingly
similar (My own "In real life" and Grunch's "A perfect life") it has been
my good fortune to collaborate on new works which combine the elements of
both.  Grunch, writing under the name of "Bluenight", has demonstrated a
keen wit, often creating characters so clever that they figure out that
they are characters in a story- a concept which more than seldom has self
proclaimed smart men wagging their heads in confusion.
	But where Grunch has demonstrated a lutin's capacity for reason, Vitra has
been an incredible example of the lutin's ability to show compassion.  Even
before her arrival at Metamor Keep, Vitra, as she often recounts, was as
close to her father as any human child.  Once again, to be fair, her
father, Norchk, was unusually nurturing for a male lutin.  Being extremely
powerful (a werebeast kin as well as unusually strong) Norchk was able to
live a more leisurely life than most lutins and thus devote more time to
his only daughter.
	As a result, Vitra grew up knowing the value of love.  When she later
married a male who displayed neither care nor affection, she was driven
into deep depression, and once a more affectionate and noble male came and
challenged for her, she embraced him readily and willingly.  This male,
known as Ushka, was a healer, and taught Vitra the healing arts as well.
	As a very interesting side note, it is believed that Ushka was a follower
of Yeshua, though details which can be garnered are sketchy at best.
	Early this year, Vitra survived the death of Ushka, and as a result, was
driven into a deep depression in which she attempted to end her own life.
Ironically, it was that very attempt at suicide which brought her to the
Keep, and to me in particular.
	I have been blessed to be able to call Vitra my friend.  She has shown a
depth of feeling which I have been unable to find in many humans and former
humans, and her compassion and caring are unmatched.
	On a personal note, I have found myself so attracted to the person of
Vitra after her emotional support through a time of great grief, that I
have asked her to be my wife.

	At the end of this study, it is my assertion that based on the information
available to me, the only logical conclusion which I can draw is that the
evil, disgusting lutin is purely a product of breeding and environment,
having conformed to a selfish lifestyle out of a need generated by scarcity
and ignorance.  It is my belief that given the same environment as a human,
a lutin could grow to be the equal of any one of us, and it is my hope that
one day, we will be able to extend our hands to the north, not in an
attack, but in a gesture of peace, and that human and lutin can learn to
live as brothers, with no attention given to the color of their skin.

-Oren the Otter
8=-3
tlhaQ biQ Ha'DIbaH
The Changing Workplace: http://www.geocities.com/duster_skunk/strips.htm