[Vfw-times] Adventures in Chattahoochee Hollar - Mystery Bag (2/?)

Heartsh0t at aol.com Heartsh0t at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 20:41:19 CDT 2000

Around the dinnertable was a spread of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and
gravy, turnips, butter beans, and corn on the cob.   A nice chocolate cake
sat on
the kitchen counter.  Oh, how that food smelled good!  Everyone was sitting
around the table with the exception of Mrs. Foxley, who was getting some bread
out of the oven and Mr. Foxley, who was still outside washing up.  Travis and
the
muskrat boys grinned and licked their lips in anticipation of eating that
delicious
food.   Wadell and Strogie were a head smaller than Travis, so they sat on
some
books Mrs. Foxley had provided for them.  Failing to resist his urges, Travis
put
a finger inside the bowl of mashed potatoes and licked his finger.   Mmmmm!
Boy, was that good!  Reaching for a second, he didn't notice his sister's
mischievous grin.

"TRAVIS!" Anna yelled, at the top of her lungs.

Travis startled in his chair and look in the direction of his mother, who had
almost dropped the biscuits on the floor.  Johnny and Stephanie hushed their
conversation to see what the urgent matter was.  All eyes turned to the boy,
whose face was turning beet-red.   The muskrat brothers snickered at the
embarrased fox.  Travis slumped down into his chair until only his eyes were
visible.

"Anna, what on earth!?" Mrs. Foxley exclaimed.

"It's Travis, he's putting his fingers inside the mashed potatoes again," his
sister
tattled, pointing her finger at her younger brother.

"Girl, do not yell like that anymore in this house!   I mean it!" Mrs. Foxley
told her
angrily.
Anna gave her a mock remorseful look.  "I'm sorry Mama," Anna said quietly.

The vixen, full of shaken nerves, turned around towards the stove and put the
biscuits inside the bread basket.   She let out an exhaustive sigh then added
calmly without turning around,  "Don't put your fingers inside the food,
Travis."

The boy sat back up in his chair, and looked over at Anna, who was smiling ear
to ear, obviously enjoying the scene.

"Didn't think you'd get caught, huh Peanut?" she leaned forward and whispered
in a soft tone.

Travis looked angrily at his sister as she poked her tongue out at him.
Wadell
and Strogie gave each other worried looks at the exchange between Travis and
his sister, not knowing what was coming next.

"Cut it out, Anna!" Johnny offered in Travis's defense.

Travis leaned forward in his chair.  "Tattle-tail!"  "That's all you are is a
big
tattle-tail!"

"Hey-hey, that's enough, and no more yelling at the table."  Mr. Foxley said
in a
deep voice,  coming inside the kitchen.  He looked at both of them and sat
down
at the head of the table.

Anna sat there and smiled at her brother and then her smile vanished when she
saw her father looking down at her.  She slumped down in her seat a bit.
Travis
glared at her, and then looked down at his plate.  Vexation filled his soul.
 For
the first time, he felt a condemnation in his heart and a true sense guilt
washing
over him for speaking to his sister harshly.  Thus began the struggle of the
“old
man” versus the “new man” in which all who are in Christ face daily.  The
struggle between the old, natural, sinful nature, versus the new nature that
God
gives each of his children.   The new nature, the indwelling of the Holy
Spirit,
himself, living, guiding each of his children towards the will of God.
However,
being in carnality for his whole life of seven years, the old man beat in his
chest
the strongest.   The Holy Spirit urged this young soul to love and forgive his
sister.  However, prideful flesh was the dominating force at this moment and
he
was not quite ready to yield over to a forgiving spirit.

"Well, she started it!" Travis said angrily, pointing at his sister.  “All
she is is a
trouble-maker!”

What a poor testimony of Jesus this poor babe was showing his friends.
Surely
he had disappointed his Lord.  Travis felt the eyes on his friends burning at
his
side, and knew he had blown his testimony for Christ.  Frustrated and
defeated,
Travis slumped to the back of his chair and looked at the dear inquiring
souls,
and then looked down at his plate.  He knew God’s commandment found in
1 Thessalonians 5:15...

“See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which
is
good, both among yourselves, and to all men.”

What could he possibly say now to show them that Jesus was real, and that his
life was truly changed?   Travis swallowed his pride, and humbled himself in
front of his Lord and Anna.

“I’m sorry Anna, I’m sorry for yellin’ at you and callin’ you that name,”
he said
tenderly.  “You can be mean to me if you choose, but I’m not going to be mean
back!”

Anna sat there, mouth opened and speechless.  Certainly she hadn’t expected
that to come from her little brother’s mouth!   This was certainly not the
same
Travis she knew a week ago.  His selflessness drew out her shame.   She
looked down and then looked back up at Travis.

“I’m sorry, Travis,” Anna said, in a low tone, looking down into her lap.
“Please
forgive me.”

Anna looked up to see the young boy smiling at her.  “Of course, I’ll
forgive you!”
“Hey, I’ve got an idea, why don’t you come with us to the store?”  “That is
if it’s
okay with Mommy and Daddy.”

Anna sat in wonderment of her brother.  She pondered his total denial over
himself.  Surely, she could forgive others, but he had a smile on his face.
She
met the Savior when she was a few years younger, but had almost forgotten Him
in her cares of everyday life.   A dusty unread Bible and a few words of
prayer
during family alter was her testimony!

Anna’s heart began to stir.  She vowed silently that she would read her Bible
and
pray to her Saviour each and every day.  No more will she forget her Lord!
She
longed for the sweet hand of Jesus back into her life.    She longed for that
blessed fellowship she once had with her Lord.

The vulpine parents looked at each other for a moment and smiled.  They were
proud of Travis, in that he leaned on the everlasting arms, and that the
children
were able to settle their own differences.  They also saw a man inside that
little
boy.