[Vfw-times] MK - Winter assault part 6a

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 21:07:48 CDT 2001

Rickkter nodded as he looked over the crowd. The sight of a particular
someone caused him to stop his scanning and grin with a most malicious
intent. He turned back to the Long and clasped Kershaw on the shoulder.
"Well, my friend, I must be off now. I just saw someone I must say hello to.
Wish your lovely companion well for me, and thanks again for the ale."

"Don't mention it."

The two clasped paws, nodding and smiling to each other before heading off
into the crowd.

"Arag Shuawen!"

Charles cringed at the voice that called his name out across the large hall.
The greeting was followed up with a traditional southern blessing of holiday
well being. He turned to see Rickkter swaggering over towards him, noting
that the Kankoran already had a half-finished drink in hand.

"Arag Shuawen, sir Charles" reiterated Rickkter as he reached the rat.

"Ah, Rick. I suppose 'tis no real surprise to see you here."

"Nor I you. You are a Long after all, so it's to be expected. But enough idle
banter," said Rickkter as he clasped his mazer, his bushy, striped tail
wagging behind him. "I have something to offer you. A gift."

"And what would that be?" said Charles. The rat was glaring up at the
raccoon, his feelings of hate for Rickkter as strong as ever.

"A simple pledge, nothing more. I simply promise that I won't kill you for
the duration of this party. It would put an awful damper on the festivities."

Charles just glared up at the raccoon, his own contempt clearly written on
his features. "Gee. I'm so... flattered by your generosity."

The raccoon's cackling laughter caused the rat's ears to go flat. "Glad you
are. And if you're looking to return the favor, I have just the thing." He
held up his paws, still maintaining a hold on his drink, positioning them so
the index fingers were about six inches apart. "It's a metal tube yea long,
and when you press the correct spot, it expands to about six feet. I think
you know what I'm talking about. You don't even have to decorate it, I'll
take it as is. Yes? No?"

Charles had his arms crossed before his chest and was giving Rick a look that
could almost kill a man.

"No? Okay, have it your way. I tried to be amiable, don't forget. Enjoy the
holidays then." With a quick, casual salute of greeting, Rickkter melted back
into the crowd, but kept close enough to observe the rat's behavior.

He had the pleasure of seeing Charles stand there for a few moments fuming,
almost shaking in anger, before turning and stalking off. It was most likely
to find his betrothed, which was all well and good; she would probably be
able to calm him. But to the raccoon, the whole incident was just another
small, yet immeasurably pleasurable event in a day that had been going
perfect almost from the moment he arrived back. With a satisfied "ah," he
went off to meet more of the other guests attending.

Watching Rickkter from across the hall, Kayla smiled and sipped at a
diminutive crystal glass of some fine liquor, the sweet, almost syrupy drink
had a distinctive bite that warmed her throat and belly without the burn of
more highly distilled liquors.  She never realized until that point how much
she missed the luxuries she had been accustomed to when she was moneyed.  The
fine drink, for example, was a treat she had not indulged upon in almost six
years.

Lost in her ruminations she did not sense the quiet form standing at her
side, likewise watching the crowd.  Slightly shorter and more animalistic in
his appearance, the young mage Murikeer said nothing for several minutes as
he stood nearby, his hands clasped at the small of his back, thick tail
swaying lazily behind him.  A smile pulled at one corner of his angular
muzzle, long white whiskers twitching as he nodded to a passer by.

The equine's return nod caught her attention as it was directed close by and
she turned her head to see whom had captured the reveler's attention.

"Muri!." She gasped in sudden recognition, mildly startled at his proximity.

That her own swaying tail had not touched him was only due to his avoiding
it.  He chuckled softly and smiled to her, inclining his head slightly in
greeting.

"I'm jealous." He commented as he bowed deeply, flourishing his well groomed
tail and one hand before her.

"Jealous, Murikeer?" She asked, her voice light as she offered a curtsy in
return.  "That's not something I would have expected you to say.  Of whom?"

Muri stood, a smile revealing the white of his teeth as he raised an arm and
pointed, "Of him." He said, his finger picking out Rickkter across the hall
as he shared a few comments with Charles.  "You look absolutely radiant."

Kayla beamed brightly, her ears backing as her whiskers flattened against her
muzzle with the sudden heat that raced across her face.  She felt her tail
fluff as it pressed against the back of her dress and she consciously forced
it to relax as she looked away for a moment, her eyes settling on Rickkter
almost by instinct.  She noted that the rat, she knew that they did not get
along but not why to any great degree, seemed positively livid.  Thinking of
angry people she blinked and looked around hastily.

"Where's Llyn?" she asked quietly, then quaffed the last of her liqure in one
swift swallow, gagging momentarily at the sharp, sweet burn that surged down
her throat.

Muri's arm swung lazily around to wave an open hand toward a small cluster of
Keepers at the beverage table.  She spotted the mink, in rather simple
appearing attire, speaking with a tall, Amazonian redhead.  "I feel as if I
came underdressed." He chuckled, "She told me that Misha's parties sometimes
got, well, boisterous."

Kayla tilted her head as she looked back at him, eyebrows arching at his
wardrobe.  Far from underdressed, his clothing appeared to have cost nearly
as much as Misha's by cut alone, despite being entirely black.  He bowed
slightly and smiled, the expensive silk shimmering as he held his arms out to
either side slightly, "I fear you see an illusion, beautiful.  Hidden is far
more mundane garb."  The skunk explained as he stood from his bow.  As if to
illustrate his artifice the black suddenly faded into white, swirling away
like a single drop of ink in a bucket of whitewash.  Kayla blinked at the
sudden change as a cloak fluttered from his shoulders and pooled around his
bare feet.

"Very nice, but what if someone touches it?"

"They'll feel simple cotton, unfortunately.  I've been working on the touch,
but that's not important here, now." He smiled, tail waving lazily, causing
the illusory cloak to shift and sway as it split over the root of his tail.
"I would like to see you later this evening, after the meal.  Llyn and I are
going to be attending Father Hough's ceremonies, so she will be changing into
her gown once the actual party here has begun."  His gaze wandered over to
the small group of scouts conversing with Llyn.  She was not dressed out of
keeping with the festivities, wearing a long burgundy dress that complimented
her soft mahogany fur, but she informed him it was a dress several years old,
worn for the first time in almost as much time.  It was striking, he had to
admit, though appeared rather plain compared to the vibrant wardrobe sported
by a gray feline in their midst.  The cat was definitely a noble, to be sure,
as was the red raccoon that stood at her side.

"Where?" Kayla asked, interrupting his momentarily wandering thoughts.

"In the library.  Fox Cutter is hosting a somewhat more subdued celebration
for the children, so the library will be open."

Kayla tittered and nodded, "The library, of course.  Would you be anywhere
else, hmmm?"

Muri grinned, "Well, there, or in Rickkter's lab, and I think he might not
understand why I've hidden things on his shelves."

Kayla's eyebrows climbed upon her brow as she cocked her head, "Oh?"

"Most certainly, which is why I'd like to see you there."  He looked up
suddenly and smiled, his eyes drawn once again toward Llyn, who was looking
about the hall.  He stepped back and swirled away rather abruptly, the white
of his cloak fanning out behind him and becoming suddenly a rich, shimmering
blue, like a fanciful waterfall from one of the tapestries hanging about the
walls.  He cast a bright smile over his shoulder as he melted into a nearby
knot of dancers with a flick of his lushly groomed tail tip.

Kayla shook her head slowly as she saw him emerge from the other side of the
dancers and smoothly intercepted Llyn as she stopped to converse with a
slender, thickly furred canine of some sort.  "Okay," She mouthed as she
turned her attention back toward Rick, only to find Caroline moving toward
her with a group of other Keepers, intending to make introductions.

**

Excerpted from the journal entries of Jacob T Fox
January 27th, 708CR.

It was cold, glorious winter. All around was a thick covering of snow and
ice, the wind howled like a dire wolf in the noon time, and above the storm
clouds were gathering for an another blasting. I was in bliss. Most would
consider me insane and I most likely am, but my thick fur and my spirit of
adventure were called for days like these. A mist of heavy white rushed out
from every breath, but I felt as if I was born for this storm, as if a hidden
destiny was waiting for me. When I changed to my present form no one knew
what I was.

My muzzle was shaped like a fox's, but the coloration of my fur was unlike
anything seen. I was neither red nor gray. Most at first glance would see me
as black, but upon closer inspection, my fur is a deep royal blue. It would
lighten in the summer, unfortunately not enough to make the summers bearable,
but I am a bit of an unknown. Not even the great wisdom of the Keep, at least
their books, knew what I had become. Sad, but most don't notice. Most are too
busy surviving in our little town.

I hadn't been this happy in a while, but I see the misery of those who aren't
built for the cold. They bundle into a coat of fur and hide in their homes,
hoping for a quick snow with a very warm spring. Last winter was a warm
adventure for me in which I nearly drowned in a pool of mud that seeped into
my father's home. I doubt that will happen again. Around the base of my home
now is a lining of stones stacked tightly so nothing can get in. That was far
from my mind, for this is a time of celebration. It's wintertime.

Walking down from my home and around the bakery, which was closed, and an
inn, which was shut tighter than the purse of the local noble, was The
Tavern's Hearth. I saw a light and knew someone had to be emptying the
shelves of Myra Tavernsmith's pub. Quickly, my hand reached for the door and
to my surprise only Myra was in. It was not even time to eat dinner and the
room was empty. Looking up from her counter, Myra was shocked to see me.

"Jacob, only a fool would be out in this weather." She said with no offer of
an apology.

I placed my satchel of badger hide down next to the closest table and raised
my hands to the air. "I am a fool, I do not doubt that but where is everyone?
I would expect at least Terrance Waters here, that swine's life blood is
ale."

"It is the Yule time, Jacob. Everyone is either in the Keep with Father
Hough, the Lightbringers, or home with their family."

I nodded, understanding that this was a time for both faiths to be
celebrating, but my heart lost faith a long time ago, and those who I would
celebrate with are gone to those gods I no longer believe in. Dropping down
my snow covered hood, I sat at the counter and looked straight at the woman
who once was a womanizer who spend more time looking after his many loves
than on his family bar.

"Why aren't you with the others in the Keep?"

"I could ask the same of you." I said, with a raised eyebrow.

"My family is in the back room, enjoying a turkey dinner I personally hunted
with my son."

I smiled at the sight of Myra, a seductive brown haired woman who once was a
man, hunting with her equine son.

"How is Alan today?"

She placed her hands on her hips and Myra's slight smirk turned into a frown.
"Don't avoid my question, Jacob. Why are you here?"

"What family do I have? I was a son, Now I am nothing. My father lays in a
mass grave for the martyrs of the Three Gates War, my mother is dead along
side him. The religion I humbly served from back stabbed my mother and I,
leaving us for dead. I am alone. My friends are my family now, but they
celebrate with those I hold a great deal of discontent."

Myra turned her eyes to a far distant place in the air. "You could join my
family…"

"No. I was just going to play outside, but now my memories are calling for
me."

"Then let me give you a gift."

She gingerly pushed off the counter and grasped at an old jug. Myra's small
hands removed the cork and she took a whiff of the concoction.

"Jacob, this is an old wine. I am somewhat afraid what it may taste like, but
it is very special, and it should ease any pain your heart may have."

I laughed and the permeating scent that came from her bottle was that of
lilacs and myrrh. If the smell was any hint of the taste, then I was in for a
treat.

"Thank you Myra." I smiled but I knew it was a snarl and looked down to hide
it. "You may have given me what I needed this holiday."

I wiped the decades of dust off the brim, and I still could almost feel the
scent that's how strong it was. In the background was the chatter of Myra's
family. Alan talked about tracking the trails, looking for a meal this night,
being lucky to find the large tom in a cruel winter. Myra's wife, Troy,
laughing with him in his goose like laugh. I watched the joy from the crack
opening of the back room door. I didn't know if I had sighed or not, but Myra
saw me watching.

"Please Jacob, join us."

Without looking, I nodded and walked around the counter and entered, shutting
the door behind me. At least I wasn't alone today.

End part 6a