[Vfw-times] Mk Winter assault part 11a

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 23:50:07 CDT 2001

* * *

Three flashes of the dagger and the charred Lutins are no longer a threat as
Jo drops down, skidding a bit on her legs to get to the mage, her herbary bag
already off her shoulder. "Okay, I'm here, you're going to be all ri-" Then
she recognizes the face.

"Er... hello again. I trust Jeremy's all right?" Kevin asks, looking a little
worse for his usage from the wounds around his arms and muzzle.

Jo nods quickly, getting out a small vial from her bag. "He's in Jono's rooms
with Dana and Perry. They should be okay," she says as she opens the vial.
"Brace yourself, this is going to hurt," she warns the mouse as she dabs a
bit of the vial's contents over the mouse's wounds.

Kevin breathes in sharply, clenching his eyes closed and grinding his teeth
together with each contact against a wound... then opens an eye again, and
tenses up, this time definitely not from pain. "Ummm... Jo..."

Joanne looks up to see two more Lutins virtually right on top of them.

* * *

Jono turns the corner that instant just in time to see Jo pull one of her
daggers and send it through the nearest Lutin. But the second is much, much
faster than anyone suspected, and so Jo has barely gotten the knife back when
it's already swinging at her. She has time enough to catch the sword hand -
with both paws - but that's it.

"JO!" Jono yells, spotting his whip next to her herbary bag, right behind
her. "Kick the whip towards me!"

She braces, then thrusts her leg backward, kicking the whip and sending it
skidding towards Jono, just before one punch from the Lutin's unoccupied arm
stuns her briefly, dropping her to the ground, leaving the Lutin free to
swing.

But Jono has already leapt forward into a somersault and grabbed the skidding
whip.

Jono's whip is one of the more curious weapons they own. On first glance, one
might think it a relatively normal rope whip, of the type usually used to
control unruly beasts (or, in the darker parts of the world, slaves -
something neither Jono nor Jo ever condone). But this whip has hundreds of
strands of very flexible but immensely strong metal woven into it, making it
virtually impossible to cut.

That and at the end there isn't one strand of rope, but three six-inch
strands, each terminating in a large steel bearing.

One stroke with the whip and a loud *crack* comes from the bearings as they
meet roughly in the center of the Lutin's skull, crushing it completely. It
falls to earth with an equally loud THUD.

By this time Jono has already recoiled the whip and is helping Joanne drag
Kevin away to safety.

***

12/24 - 8:30pm

As Ryuo ran through the courtyard, following the faint sounds of clashing
metal, his mind raced with what he had to do.  His first thought was to head
for the gate into the lower town, and he headed in that general direction, or
at least as close as he could follow in the pure white conditions.  Ice and
snow flew at him, the storm pelting him with debris.

Peering through the snow, something seemed to glint in the distance. Ryuo
hurried forward and saw that it was a building that seemed to have caught on
fire.  In a brief moment of clarity through the whipping snows, Ryuo realized
it was the Keep's stables; the whinny of panicked horses reached Ryuo's ears
from the burning buildings.  Realizing that his own steed was trapped in the
blazing inferno, Ryuo knew there was not a moment to lose.

Running at full tilt towards the orange glow in the night, Ryuo almost
tripped over the Lutins who waited outside.  The green goblins were just as
surprised, and their reactions were sluggish in the blizzard conditions.

Ryuo cut down two before they could turn about, and a third was caught with a
downward strike as he began to raise a weapon to strike.  Hurrying past the
bodies, Ryuo ignored the others outside for the moment, rushing into the
stables, his attention focused on Kaze, with whom he had crossed half a
continent.

As he came upon the front of the stables, Ryuo could see several horses lying
dead in the snow, having been the victims of Lutin weapons.  Though already
covered in a thin layer of snow, Ryuo could see that neither of them were his
own precious steed.

Inside the burning stables, it was a mess.  Horses were obviously panicked,
and Ryuo could see a band of Keepers, led by a rooster, it appeared, speaking
soothing words to some of the panicked animals.  So intent was the rooster on
calming the great beasts that he did not see the saber-wielding Lutin about
to slice into him.  The creature had apparently snuck into the burning
stables for some inane reason--perhaps a dare, or perhaps just suicidal.

Ryuo gave a shout, and the rooster turned, his beak dropping open as his eyes
went wide.  The Lutin's saber flashed downwards, but it never reached its
intended target.  Instead, Ryuo's own tanto sprouted from its back, causing
it to falter and fall to the ground.  Ryuo finished it off with his long
sword, and then took up the tanto, wiping it off quickly and resheathing it.

The rooster said something that Ryuo could not understand.  The rooster
pointed to the horse, and then pointed outside, making an image of a house.
Ryuo simply nodded, realizing that the horses would need to be evacuated from
the burning building.  That couldn't happen with the Lutins outside, however.
 Ryuo ran through the stables, and found his own steed.  Patting him on the
neck, Ryuo grimaced as he realized that he would probably lose his tack in
the blaze, but there was little time.  Ryuo opened the paddock where Kaze
stood, and led him to the door.

"Wait!" Whispered Ryuo to his steed.  Kaze stood stock still despite the
flames, just has he had been taught.  Ryuo grinned and gave Kaze a reassuring
pat, and then turned to the rooster. "Ready.  After us... go." he said with
his broken speech.

Suddenly, Ryuo jumped back out into the cold.  The Lutins had formed up a
half-circle around the stable, but Ryuo's charge broke their formation.
Shining steel flashed from the darkness, cutting through a raised spear and
into the bony skull below.  A sword missed as he stepped back to withdraw the
blade, and then a circular, continuous sweep took out four more of the
creatures.  Turning around he could see that he had made it through the line,
and now, all of the green heads turned towards Ryuo.  It was exactly as he
planned.

"Come!" he yelled in his native Yamato tongue.  As he cut down another Lutin,
a shape resolved itself from the darkness.  Like a night-mare of legend, Kaze
rushed outside and began attacking the surprised Lutins, many of whom threw
up their hands as Kaze's hooves rained down on them, trampling green bodies
underfoot.  As rider and steed worked together in the snow, both fighting as
best they could, Ryuo yelled out again into the storm.  "Now!" he cried in
vulgar language of Metamor.

The hooves were thunderous as horses were rushed from the building, following
along the path Ryuo and Kaze had cleared.  As the last of the first wave
left, Ryuo cleared the attackers from Kaze and made a motion with one hand.
Kaze broke from the fighting, following the rest of the horses off to safety.
 As they disappeared into the white  darkness, Ryuo continued his own fight.

The white snow was blinding, and the roar of the wind deafening.  Ryuo had
never before faced such adverse conditions; no opponent before had been so
suicidal as to attack in the middle of a blizzard.  Ryuo sliced downwards,
severing through a Lutin's arm, he then turned and brought the blade up to
the creatures face, slicing through the lower half of its jaw and sending it
screaming to the winter snow's icy grasp.

If Ryuo was having trouble, he could at least consolate himself that the
Lutins were just as bad off, if not worse.  They had not practiced
blind-fighting in light-forsaken caves, nor had they the discipline of his
own training.  His sword flashed out into the night, and it seemed to catch
the Lutins just as they came into view.  Two sets of eyes went wide as the
sword swung horizontally towards them.  Then, the four eyes sailed into the
darkness, freed from the headless bodies that slumped to the ground.

Ryuo gave little thought to their deaths, but rammed the sword backwards,
catching another Lutin in the gut, he then stepped to his left and rose,
causing another Lutin to fly past him; Ryuo caught him in the back with the
down stroke of his raised sword.

Ryuo could not see the blood that he had spilt, but he could smell it faintly
from the quickly cooling bodies of the Lutin corpses. If this many Lutins
were already inside the walls, they must have made it inside the Keep by now
as well, Ryuo figured.  That meant the Duke was in danger.  Glancing once
more to make sure that there were no more Lutins in the immediate area, Ryuo
turned back towards the snow-obscured spires of the Keep, racing for the
nearest gate, and hoping he was not already too late.

**

12/24 8:45pm

The armory was... chaotic, to say the least. The only one who looked to be
controlling it in the least was Jack, and he was passing out the weapons.
"Okay, who's in charge here?" Rickkter yelled out. A burly woman reached up
from one of the larger crowds and waved him over. "Who are you?"

"Captain Henrietta Marcusson." The captain had the face of a veteran changed
in the original battle of the gates; while having the expected feminine
lines, it was still crisscrossed by a fine network of wrinkles and battle
scars. At least that gave some indication that she knew what she was doing.
"Who are you and do you have any idea what's going on here?"

"War mage, Rickkter. Alas I do know what's going on." He reached back to
scratch at his head. "It seems that we're going to get a lutin army of
undetermined size knocking at the doors to the keep. Kyia told that to Madog
who in turn told Misha."

The other soldiers began to mutter amongst themselves. The captain held up
her hand and silenced most of them. "That's what I was told as well. How
reliable is that?"

"I was there." Rickkter wiped his face with his paw. "It was serious enough
for Misha to scramble all the Long Scouts." The captain cursed. "Tell me
about it. So you're in charge of this section?"

"Aye. Though you outrank me," she said, noting the rank cluster on Rick's
left upper arm. Full wizards like Rickkter wore an insignia with three gold,
five silver, and nine platinum stars in a tight circle within the center of
the rank cluster. In addition, he carried a field rank of major, designated
by crossed swords on a shield with a crown above. Her own of Captain, was two
crossed swords on a simple kite shield.

Rickkter shook his head and looked off at the outer door. "No, this is your
show. I have no experience with winter warfare."

The captain nodded and turned to the rest of the troops. "Okay, listen up!
This is how the situation now stands: We have an unknown number of Lutins
making an attack on the Keep itself. No other warning from any of the towns,
villages or outposts further north have been received, and if it weren't for
the fact that Kyia herself decided to tell us, I would dismiss it as a hoax.
Until now, attacking in the middle of a blizzard would be unthinkable." A few
more keepers had trickled into the armory and were listening to what was
being said. "The good news is that I see we have a lot of animal morphs with
us. From what we all know of that kind, their sense of smell should give us
an edge. Though with Lutins I don't know if any of us can help smelling
them." There was a collective chuckle, but the tension was still there. "We
also have a mage with us, a fully ranked wizard. His skills will enable us to
track this attacking 'army' despite the blizzard and eliminate them all the
quicker. Now I know this is late notice for all of you, but let's get out
there and get this over with!"

The wind was like a hard slap in the face as soon as Rickkter stepped through
the door. While he would have preferred that it helped to sober him up, all
it served to do was remind him how rather underdressed he was and set his
teeth chattering. Pulling his tunic tighter about his neck, Rickkter hunched
his shoulders and continued onwards through the snow. The light from the door
behind him was fading quickly and the large braziers that designated the main
gates beyond the stables were hardly more than indistinct orange blotches in
the night. At least when they passed through the long archway Rickkter saw
other soldiers scrambling to man the walls. Well, that'll help should any
Lutins get by, he reflected briefly.

The wind outside the walls was worse than inside, and Rickkter made a vain
attempt to block it with a paw as he turned his head away from it and hunched
over. Fighting in this was going to be a royal bitch. Especially considering
they had made their way a good distance into the woods. Well, hopefully his
magic would offset that. Reaching out with his mind he began to draw in the
manna.

No, that wasn't right, thought Rickkter as he pulled the energy to himself.
Something else was consuming manna from the whole region and in quantities he
could scarcely believe possible. It was also impairing his own ability to
draw on that energy. He was about to cast out his probes to determine where
it was coming from when the captain snapped him out of it.

"Well, mage," she hollered over the wind, "time for you to do your thing.
Where the hell are they?!"

Nodding, Rickkter closed his eyes and turned his back to the wind in order to
concentrate. A small snarl came to his muzzle and he twisted his head more to
the side, forcing himself to scan further into the darkness. Marcusson was
about to ask if anything was wrong when the raccoon snapped up his head and
sucked in a breath through his teeth. His sword was out in a blink and he
started backpedaling through the snow, his head whipping around. "Captain,
get your men back to the walls now. Before we're all killed."

Captain Marcusson turned and peered out into the darkness and snow. "Damn,
are you sure it's that bad? How many of them are there out there?"

"That's the whole problem," Rickkter hollered at her. "I don't know how many
are out there! I can't sense anything six feet in front of my fucking face!
And even that's a stretch. This whole blizzard is one gigantic spell designed
to inhibit any magic besides its own and probably its casters. That's why we
never heard anything of this army from the outposts and watchtowers; they
couldn't tell us, even if the wanted to!"

He could barely hear the captain curse over the wind. "That's defiantly going
to complicate things. We'll need to set ourselves into ambush positions,
using the drifts for cover."

"What?!"

"You heard me! We're staying out here and we're going to meet them. The snow
may limit sight and magic, but they're under the same limitations. Now I
suggest you find a way around this field of theirs before they show up."

Rickkter rounded on her. "Damn it! Listen to me! You've got to pull back now!
Fortify the walls, deploy the men along them and make the stand there!"

"NO! We've got to make a stand before the walls."

"Doing it out here is crazy!" yelled Rickkter as the wind tore through his
cheek fur. "They've got the advantage of surprise, no matter the fact that we
know they're out there; they've almost certainly got us out numbered; and
between the snow and the dampening field that they control, they've
effectively blinded us! Turn back now before the men are all killed!"

"You said you had no experience with winter warfare, Rickkter, which is why
you should let me handle it!"

"Even the blindest grunt can see that this is suicide! Now pull the men back
now, Captain! Before I make that an order."

Marcusson opened her mouth as if to counter, only to have her attention
diverted like everyone else by the sudden disappearance of the blinding snow.
Left in its place was a line of lutin warriors holding torches and gazing at
the bedraggled keepers.  Their line was more a mob as they looked into the
momentary lull and met the angry stares of the attacking army.  In the
shadows close at his left Rick could see the walls of the keep, defined by
the line of unwavering mage-lights along the crenellations.  Among the steady
white glow of the magical illuminations Rick could see the dimmer, flickering
motes of torches.

"Ah, shit," Rickkter muttered.

**
End part 11a