[Vfw-times] Born From the Darkness : Part 1

Matt Folletz pj_skunk at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 00:44:12 CDT 2001

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this list and would like to contribute my
writing talent to it.

Anyway, here is a story that I'am currently working
on. It is about two countries that have been at war
for a few decades, tring to out-do each other in areas
such as science, technology, and politics. It has
already come to a point that they might destroy
themselves, with a little help from a dark child that
thrives on chaos.

I hope you like it:)

*****

Born From The Darkness : Part 1

By PJ Skunk

  Deep In the central district of the capital city
Kelve, lie the Moss-Rivendell Weapon Research
Facility. inside this facility, a single scientist sat
in his office, searching through files. It had been a
really long night, so long that his coffee had already
gone cold.

  He had been working for at least thirty-six hours
straight. As the strain took it's toll, he scratched
his head-fur and then decided to rest his eyes.
Not one minute passed before the intercom on his
computer terminal beeped.

As he pressed the button he replied. "Yes."

"Hey Matthias, Have you gotten your report finished
yet?" The voice replied.

"Not yet Sir, I still have a few more equations to
complete." he answered even though he knew it was
untrue.

"Don't take too long, the commitee won't be as
forgiving as I'am."

"Sam, I'll have it on your desk by eight O'clock
sharp."

"Okay by eight o'clock, no later." Sam said with a
growl.

  After talking with his assistant, Matthias looked at
the wooden wall clock with dread.

  For the past few months Prof. Matthias Gaines, a
scientist in the field of robotics and biochemistry,
had been trying to create a being that would be the
most capable fighter. It was to have the knowledge and
experience equal to a thousand of the best soldiers
and a strength to match. Unfortunately, for this red
fox the results were far from promising. The company
had given him at least seven months to create an
acceptable proto-type. Now he had only two months to
meet the deadline.

"Damn it, that only gives me about six hours." he
said, to himself as he nervously drummed his claws on
the desk. After a few minutes of worrying, the fox
slowly got up from his chair and padded across the
green marble floor over to a small file cabinet.

  Slowly, Matthias oppened the top drawer and pulled
out a large tan folder with his strong black furred
paws.

  The notes were quite messy. he flipped through his
lab book, jotting down the equations again, trying to
re-attain the results. Organic chemistry, by nature,
was not very predictable. However, these were
nanomachines, not material. He sighed and then ran his
fingers through his long headfur, again. Matthias
openned the desk drawer and leafed through the
folders,trying to locate the corresponding experiment
he did with the organic cells.

His eyes were lost in thought as he reviewed the past
results.Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" he said calmly to the visitor.

"Marleen." The visitor said as she walked through the
Doorway.

"Your late, love." said Matthias

"I've been quite busy all afternoon. Several of our
contractors have been complaining about our policy
changes and have threatened to quit doing business
with us." said Marleen as she sat down in a nearby
chair.

"Is that so, the company has been on my tail all
day..."

  Slowly, Marleen got up from her chair and walked up
to Matthias and gave him a much needed hug. "Don't
worry, everything will turn out fine." The vixen
whispered into his ear. "I sure hope so..." he said
with a sigh.

___________________________

  Half an hour later, Matthias left his office and
took the elevator to his Lab in Blue Level. He marched
through the traditional hallways, and past the Blue
Level Security Office. As he reached the end of the
hallway The interior of the room broke into the two
branches, left and right, both ending in a glass door.
He immediately turned left, then pressed a button on a

handheld device to open the door. As he entered a
spray of disinfectant decontaminated Matthias' lab
coat as well as any exposed fur. He then passed
through the airlock door.

  The interior of Mattias' Lab was surrounded with
computer equipment, That was a metallic red colour,
and had dim lighting. The most fascinating
spectacle of the room, however, were the tall capsules
that stretched from the floor to the ceiling. They
were all made of glass that was filled with a
greenish fluid that seemed to eminate its own light.

  In the largest capsule, floating in some sort of
suspended-animation, was an Embryonic Dragon. It's
greyish body appeared to be about 1-2' feet tall, with

its wings appearing to have formed recently. It had
already been at least six months ago that work was
started on this artificial lifeform.

  Slowly Matthias walked up to the main capsule with
clipboard in paws.

"Computer, how is specimen GX-2437 progressing?" he
asked.

"Professor Gains, Specimen 'GX-2437' is currently
growing at a rate of 27mm per hour. Neural activity is
increasing steadily at a rate of 0.5% per hour.
All other readings are nominal for this stage of
construction."

"Excellent, at this rate it would awaken in less than
two days." Matthias said as he wrote the results on
his chart.

*****

=====
-PJ Skunk