[Vfw-times] MK Winter assault part 19

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 02:00:37 CDT 2001

"What did you do that for?" Zagrosek asked, his eyes wide with shock as the
dresser was reduced to kindling.

"If the Lutins think this room has already been sacked, they will ignore it
then, won't they?" Charles replied, slashing his dresser a few more times
before turning to his closet. "Sorry about this, old fellow," he said, and
then hacked away at the wooden doors, crashing them inwards against his
summer wardrobe.

Jerome chuckled lightly. "Still talking to your furniture?"

The rat grimaced slightly before turning to his bed, and piercing the quilts
and cushions. "I'm going to regret this later I know, but I think I would
rather I be the one to destroy my things than to have some green-skinned
monster do it!"

Garigan watched him for a moment and then looked back through his door.  "Do
you want me to do the same to my room?" His voice quavered; obviously he was
rather fond of his bed and assorted furnishings.

"No," Matthias shook his head. "I doubt anybody will look past this room."

"What if they go into the Shrine?" Zagrosek asked, jerking his thumb over to
the other door at the far end of the room.  The closet had once been standing
before it, but as it was now in splinters, the hidden exit was now visible to
all.

The rat shrugged, pulling on his buckler and slipping the sword home in its
sheath. "Let them.  There's nothing in there for them to take, and they'll
most likely kill themselves when they try to steal the angel."

"Good point," Zagrosek chuckled, and then spun the Sondeshike in his palms,
he shrunk it down to fit within his palm. "Is there anything else you need
here?  It is already late.  We'll have an easier time moving through the
woods while it is dark out, so we'd best get moving before the dawn arrives."

Charles shook his head, scattering the stack of parchments on his desk.  He
sighed as he peered at the mess littering his floor, wood splinters almost
everywhere, mixed in with the papers.  He quickly took the one he'd penned
for Misha and laid it on top of the torn mattress. "No, I think this will
do." He picked up the ink bottle from the floor, and dashed it against the
wall.  The dried ink scattered with the glass, littering the back of his
room. "It was dry anyway," he murmured as he crossed over the mess towards
his door.

Jerome was the first to step out of the room, peering down both sides of the
hall.  Seeing that nobody was about, he stepped out into the middle, and
motioned for the other three to do the same.  Charles was the last to leave
of course, gazing at the destruction he'd caused within his own chambers and
sighing.  He hated having to do it, as so many thing that were in his room
had a great deal of meaning for him.  There were trinkets of course that he'd
left unmolested, and hopefully, the Lutins would as well.

Suddenly though, he recalled one of the gifts that he'd received at the
party, a cross necklace fashioned from some milk stone.  Murikeer Khannas had
made it for him, and it had probably been one of the nicest things he'd
received.  Coming from the skunk, it meant even more, since he knew that
until the Patriarch's visit, that Muri had not looked favourably upon the
Patildor.

"Just one moment," Charles said, before picking his way back in among the
ruin to his desk.  Reaching inside the lid that had only partially been caved
in, he retrieved the ornament, cradling it within the pink flesh of his paws
and let a smile cross his muzzle.  Looking back to one corner of his room, he
remembered the secret cache that he'd hidden his robe in for so many years.
Pressing against the stone, he opened it wide, and set the cross within it.
It would be safe there.

However, a sudden premonition filled him, and his paws did not close it back
up.  Instead, he reached in and withdrew the milky cross again, gazing at it,
remembering what it meant, what that sign meant to all Followers of the Way.

Upon that cross, his Yahshua had died.  Muttering, he closed his eyes, and
traced that sign over his chest and forehead. "My Abba, I need you now in
this more than ever.  Watch over my fellow Keepers in this time, and give us
the victory we need.  And please let our friends at Glen Avery be all right.

I pray this in the name of your son Yahshua.  A-men."

Rising back to his paws, he slipped the cross over his neck, the rock cool
against his fur.  He dropped the pendant down beneath his cloak and against
his chest.  Strangely, it was warm on his fur, as if it breathed a life of
its own.  Smiling once more, he closed the cache, and left his room once
more, rejoining his companions.  He had a quiet feeling of unease as he did
so, but it was very subtle, and he hardly noticed it.

"Now are you ready?" Jerome asked impatiently, casting wary eyes down either
passageway.

"Yes, follow me, this shouldn't take more than a few minutes." Charles set
off on a familiar path, for it had been his habit for many years to walk this
way each morning.  The halls of the Keep were empty though, as most of the
Keepers had been at either the Lothanasi or Patildor celebrations that
evening.  It had probably been blind chance that they had found that small
group of Keepers battling Nasoj's forces when they had.  He could almost
imagine Misha's incredulity when he informed him of the Shrieker and of
Wessex's demise while the fox was preparing for the assault!

They reached the staircase into the cellars without incident, their eyes ever
watching the shadows shift and turn about them.  Jerome and Garigan carried
the two unlit lanterns in their off hands, weapons held ready in their other
hands.  The halls in the cellar were of course lit much like the rest of the
Keep, though much more subdued, the torches further apart.  Being a rat of
course had its advantages, and one of which was that he could see rather well
in the dark, as long as there was at least a little light.  So, walking down
the cold passages beneath the rest of the Keep, the scent of mould just dimly
apparent in the air, proved to be no difficulty for either Matthias or the
others.

However, just before they were about to turn the corner down the hall to the
rats' rooms, there was the sound of splintering wood.  The four of them
stiffened as they heard it come from around that corner.  Charles did not
feel the warming of the carved stone hanging against his chest as he came to
a swift halt, throwing up a hand to signal a halt though the others had
already done so.  Sliding forward along the wall, Charles sniffed at the air,
the scent of Lutins faint, but evident.  Grimacing, he hazarded a peek,
before pulling back his snout to glance at the others who were drawn up close
behind him, their bodies tense.

Charles held up one paw, and raised four fingers, and then nodded at the
corner.  Both Jerome and Zagrosek nodded in return, while Garigan narrowed
his eyes, small daggers appearing in both of his paws from inside his cloak.

The lanterns were set at their feet, silent as an undisturbed cave.

Taking a quick breath, Charles plunged around the corner, catching the first
of the four Lutins by surprise.  They had been smashing at Hector's door,
obviously looting whatever they could find.  Nasoj had almost certainly
promised them that they could keep whatever they found here, and so this
quartet had been industrious enough to try and steal what they could while
their brethren died killing the Keepers.  However, when the first of them
collapsed, his back smacked in two by the force of the Sondeshike, they
regretted their greed.

Strangled cries issued from their throats as the other three reached for
small swords at their sides, snarling in fury as their comrade fell face down
upon the cold masonry.  Charles lashed out again with his Sondeshike,
breaking the arm of the nearest Lutin.  However, the battle was over before
the rat was able to swing again.  Zagrosek cracked one of the Lutin's skulls
with his own Sondeshike.  Slipping sinuously past the rat, Garigan stabbed
the Lutin with the shattered arm repeatedly with his daggers while Jerome
forced the last Lutin to impale itself upon its own sword.

Glancing at the bodies beneath their feet, Charles took a deep breath before
peering into the gaping hole in Hector's door.  The room was empty, aside
from the cluttered sculptures across his floor.  The light was too dim to
make out any detail on the carvings, but it was sufficient to allow the
others to see them as well.

***

  Ferwig, much to his own surprise awoke. The last thing he had expected was
to wake up. Most people usually don't bother to take people like him
prisoner. With his head ringing he looked around and tried to figure out
where he was. He realized that he was being dragged, bound and gagged,
backwards down a hallway.

  "The man is awake George," a voice said.

  "All right, put him down," another voice said. "He can walk from now on."

  His movement stopped and his feet were dropped to the floor with a jolt. A
figure towered over him and he looked up into the snout of George, the patrol
master.

  "Stand up and walk," the jackal ordered flatly.

  Ferwig was in no mood to comply and simply lay still and ignored his
captor. George calmly kicked Ferwig in the groin, not as hard as the last
time, but hard enough. The man screamed loudly through the cloth gag,
clutching his groin.

  "Get up and walk," George ordered again and this time the battered fighter
obeyed. Ferwig rolled onto his stomach, then pulled himself up onto his knees
and then slowly stood up. His whole body hurt, especially his testicles and
his head. Fighting nausea he had to lean against a wall to keep from falling
over.

He felt a light touch on the shoulder and looked up to see one of his guards,
a short, lynx woman staring at him. "Come on," the keeper said in a
surprisingly gentle voice. "We don't have far to walk." Ferwig briefly
considered grabbing the felines sword and fight his way to freedom. Then he
saw the cats muzzle full of long, sharp teeth, and her razor sharp claws. She
didn't need any weapons, the curse had given her a very formidable set of
built in weapons. Briefly he wondered why she bothered to carry a sword at
all. Perhaps out of habit?

  The lynx, turned him around with a push of a claw equipped paw, and he
found himself looking at Teria, who was glowering at him. The woman didn't
look happy or healthy. The whole of her forehead was one massive bruise, and
her right eye was almost swelled shut. Another guard, this one a woman,
rudely turned the mage around and shoved her forward. Giving her captor a
cold, steel hard gaze, Teria started moving in the ordered direction.

  Ferwig could imagine the mood she was in. With a bruise like that she must
have a huge headache and be incredibly angry. The humiliation of being
knocked unconscious by dinner plate would make her even angrier. He was
thankful that her mouth was gagged and she couldn't talk or curse.

  The trip wasn't an easy one for the fighter. Every part of his body seemed
bruised and battered. The worst was his privates were throbbing and he found
himself walking in an odd bow legged manner to ease the pain. It didn't help
much. Still his captors didn't make any comments or jibes, they moved in
silence watching and listening in all directions, no panic, no unnecessary
noise. Their home had been invaded by thousands of lutins and they were cut
off and alone. And yet these seven soldiers were moving about as calmly as if
they were on a training mission. That impressed the mercenary, these were
professionals.

  The group came upon two sword-wielding soldiers standing in front of an
open doorway. He caught a glimpse of someone else aiming a crossbow using the
corner of the doorway as cover.

  Ferwig saw the jackal talking to the two guards. "Take some of the tables
and make a barricade to block the corridor."

  One of the new guards, a woman, dressed in armor made up of scales sewn to
felt, nodded. "Yes Sir."

  "Is Misha in?"

  "No sir," the woman answered. "He went out with a team over an hour ago."

  "Well," the canine said in a calm voice. "As senior officer, I'm in
command now." With a nod of the head the jackal moved forward through the
doorway and the small group followed.

  In a moment Ferwig and Teria moved passed the guards who gave both
mercenaries cold, hard stares.  They entered into a small hall, about fifty
feet long, and wide. Forty feet above was a domed ceiling with small, glass
windows interspersed along it's length.

  Crossing the room they came to the far wall. Set in that wall was a small
wooden door, in front of which stood four guards. Over the door was a
balcony, that was about twenty feet from side to side. Ferwigs trained eye
noticed that the entire length of the balcony was lined with battlements. A
few soldiers standing up there could control the entire hall against all but
a major assault.

  The group went through the door and into a small room. The door closed
behind them with an ominous thud. He noticed Teria looking up and followed
her gaze. There in the ceiling he noticed small holes; murder holes. He could
easily imagine the boiling oil or water that could be poured down through
them. He quickly moved out of that little death room trying not to look too
nervous.

  The hall on the other side was larger then the previous one. The stained
glass lining one wall threw a kaleidoscope of color onto the entire scene
laid out before him. Long Hall was filled with people. They were everywhere,
sleeping on to floors, the balcony, even the stairs in the corner held people
on each step. He saw people of all sexes, ages and species. Some were
sleeping, others eating, or tending to wounded. Ferwig smiled as a group of
children raced around in a game of tag, shrieking and giggling. He realized
that these weren't nobles hiding in some privileged hideaway. These ragged
and fearful people were simple commoners, just trying to protect themselves.

  He saw a what must be an elk-woman stare at him with hate filled eyes. The
intensity of he gaze made Ferwig stop and look away from her but he could
still feel her eyes drilling into his back. Then he was pushed and forced to
move on. Unable to resist, he turned and looked back and found the woman
still staring at him.

  A woman guard slapped him on the face with the back of her gauntleted
hand. "Eye's front," she ordered in a harsh tone.

   George pointed to the two prisoners. "Take those two to a cell. I'll talk
with them later."

  "Sir," the lynx said. "What about their wounds?"

"When one of the long Scout teams come back, have their healer look them
over."

  "Yes sir," the feline answered and with a shove guided the two prisoners
away from the jackal.

End part 19