[Vfw-times] MK Winter Assault part 63 - WA returns

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 22:26:16 CST 2001

Sorry for the long delay between parts but we are finally on a roll again!
There will be no further delays! I hope :)

   Chris Okane
   The Lurking Fox

***********

Some time later

David looked up and Rick and shook his antennae in his version of a ironic
laugh. "Well, doesn't look like you have much choice about stepping in the
dead now, do you?"

 The entire corridor was covered in them. Rather there were only ten bodies,
their contents were just spread over the whole of the walls, floor, and
ceiling of the hallway.

 "Your room I assume?"

"Indeed," Rick muttered, drawing his sword. He stepped gingerly towards the
nearest lump of goo and bones of the floor. He gave it a cursory examination
before using his sword to lift up what turned out to be a belt with a
scabbard attached. "Looks like this fit a human mercenary." He dropped it
back onto the pile with a wet squish. "There are five more here like that. He
definitely had friends with him."

 Moving up a little, he examined a much smaller pile. This time he extracted
a small pouch with the end of his sword. "Hello, there." He took it off the
end of the sword and opened it. "Looks like this was once a Lutin shaman. A
very experienced one, too, from the look of things," he observed, jiggling
the bag. "That would mean--" and his gaze finally fell on the pile just
beyond the ring near the door "-- that that was the mage." Tiptoeing through
the congealed blood he repeated his procedure with the shaman, removing a
pouch and amulet in the case of the mage.

"Yeah, looks like these boys were sent after me, alright," Rick muttered as
he pawed through the pouch and made his way back to David. "Lots of things
here for spell countering, poison spell casting, defensive spells, things to
take down shields. Oh, yes. Our boy was well prepared."

"So what happened?"

Rick looked up. "Easy. They never expected that the merest touching of the
magic would set it off. It's kind of like petting a rabid wolverine. Only you
don't realize that fact until it's busy chewing your arm off."

"Well, be thankful you had then in place then." David nodded towards a rather
spread out pile of flesh and what once was tawny fur. "Have you ever heard of
a kurenk'n?"

"You know, I was wondering what that was..." Rick muttered, following David's
gaze. "You can tell me about it inside."

"We have kurenk'n in my homeland," David explained, passing through Rick's
antechamber, "and I've heard they still run wild up north. They look like
regular felines, something like a cougar, but with almost bat ears and teeth
like a shark. Simply put, they were bead to kill magic users. They sense
spells and can evade them to some extent, and they're totally invisible to
magic sight. Seems Nasoj was *quite* intent on doing away with you."

Rickkter shuddered. "You're right. Definitely not something for me to tangle
with." He shucked off his fox skin cloak and tossed it over the couch, never
breaking his stride towards his book case. "Now David, how are you with
light-manipulation and room-effect spells?"

The two mages made short work of it, Rick describing exactly what he needed
the ant to do, pulling off and marking various book from the shelf. They
ended up with a small stack of books and a pair of scrolls, all of which the
raccoon bundled into a leather carrying pouch.

"Now David, are you certain you can handle yourself on the way back?"

"I have my magic," the ant replied, "and I have this." Using his second pair
of arms, he extracted the two parts of his staff from beneath the heavy
overcoat.

Rickkter nodded back at him. "Yes, I think that'll work. I just need to get a
few more things of my own."

Naturally, the first thing Rickkter did was to lose the remnants of his
formal attire. The jacket and shirt he was wearing would need major tailoring
if they were ever to be wearable again, the chain mail he had managed to toss
on over it having done just as much damage as the actual battle itself. The
sewer and the running battles to and in town had pretty much taken care of
his good pants and boots. Each were deposited in separate piles on his
bedroom floor as he extracted something more wearable from his wardrobe.

"Ah," he sighed, patting the hard leather and fine-linked mail of his fresh
armour. "It's amazing how much better a fresh set of cloths can make a man
feel, don't you agree?"

David had taken a seat near one of Rick's windows and was looking out into
the blizzards that raged outside. Where before the raccoon had only his dress
cloths and some mail under a borrowed greatcoat, now he was much more suited
to battle. His shirt had been replaced by a simple cotton undershirt under a
hard leather vest, over which was a fine-linked mail shirt. Over that, he
wore a black leather coat that reached just down to the top of his tail. The
dress pants were exchanged for leather ones with plate over the thighs and
high black leather boots. A pair of metal wrist guards poked from beneath his
jacket as well. As Rick had come out from the bedroom, he was fastening a
wide leather belt hung with several large pouches. About the only thing he
had retained were his swords.

"Right. Let me get a few more things and we'll go."

A series of thumps caused David and Rick to both snap around and look at the
door. Two more thumps followed in quick succession. "Okay, what the hell was
that?" David asked, holding the staff defensively before him.

Rick hissed a curse between his teeth as he wrenched open the doors on his
personal armoury and began pulling out a bandoleer of daggers, a pair of
wicked looking knives, and one small sword with a thigh sheath. "That would
be company."

He paused, his head turned towards the door, looking for all the world as
though he were sniffing at the air. "Looks like someone noticed our coming
in. The spells got another three soldiers, but the mage is smarter this time.
She's staying well out of range." Rick stuffed them all into a backpack from
the bottom of his armoury and quickly slung it. "Come on, let's go."

"Where? Out with her?"

"Hell no." Rick opened a small door near the apartment's windows. "We're
going up."

The circular stairwell led the two into a very ornately appointed apartment.
"Wow. Where are we?" David asked as he gaped.

Rickkter never broke his stride towards the door. "My apprentice, Muri's
room. Kyia certainly made this room ostentatious, didn't she?"

A single huge casement window was set directly opposite the door, and
planters were arranged along the walls, the tips of a few leaves poking
through the soil. The apartments was quite large, the receiving area passing
as the dining and entertaining area as well. In the centre there sat a large,
ornate stone table that looks to be quite old. There were chairs to match,
equally old. In the centre of the main room was a couch, two massive reading
chairs and several small book tables clustered around an intricate and
ancient tapestry of some obscure scene.

"I'll say," David muttered before he followed Rick out the door. The two were
greeted by a draft of cold, icy air causing them to hold their arms up to
protect their faces.

 "Okay, this looks like Kyia has given you a way home," Rick shouted over to
David. "Get to the temple, set things up just as we discussed. I should be
back in two hours. If I'm not back in three, don't sweat it. If I'm not back
in four... well, take a really well prepared squad over to the Long House and
do things there. And..." He winced a bit. "Break it to Kayla as best you're
able."

"I certainly hope it doesn't come to that."

"Same here. She'll be pissed!"

David clicked his mandibles in a parody of a chuckle. "I'll be sure to keep
that in mind." Wrapping his outer garments tight, he moved at a jog out into
the blowing snow."

Rickkter looked back down the hallway of almost endless doors and flicking
torches. He fingered the hilt of his sword. "Let's hope you make things as
easy for me, Kyia.