[Vfw-times] MK Winter Assault part 70 - the final battle begins

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 23:32:50 CST 2001

********

   The group that waited for Misha did so in the silence of worn and tired
veterans. All of the remaining Long scouts were assembled together. Misha
looked the group over. There was Meredith, Arla, and Laura sharing a bottle
of ale. Nearby Jotham was examining a mace that he had captured. Danielle and
Finbar were off in a corner by themselves, talking. Georgette and Caroline
were eating a loaf of bread together, with some wine they had acquired
somewhere. He also noticed far too many faces missing. Faces of people dead
or wounded.

   "Explain to me again what we're going to do?" Georgette asked, chewing a
piece of bread.

   "We are going to kill General Selig before the main assault ," Misha
explained.

   "I got that part," the woman said. "My question is how? He's surrounded by
eight hundred lutins, one hundred humans, and at least four ogres and a
troll."

   "Let's not forget the five mages too," Meredith added.

   "The big question is how do we do it?" Misha asked.

   "You don't know?" the bear asked.

   "We have no option in this," the fox answered. "These people are well
prepared and fortified. The battle is going to be hard and bloody, with Selig
in command it will impossible. If we can kill the leader when the attack
starts it will throw them into confusion and give us a fighting chance to
win."

   "That still doesn't answer my question," Georgette said. "How do we get
past one thousand soldiers to kill him?"

   "That's easy," Danielle said, speaking for the first time.

   "Easy?" Laura asked as the whole room looked at the pine marten morph.

   "They're in a room, right? Rooms have ceilings and floors," Danielle
explained. We can knock a hole in the ceiling and dropped down on top of
them."

   Laura smiled, "Death from above!"

*****************

In Long House

 The next time the door opened the figure that entered wasn't who they
expected. "I see, Nasoj wasted his money on you two."

   "You told us that George was some drunken, old bandit, an easy kill,"
Ferwig countered. "I think Nasoj wasted his money on you, traitor."

   The long scout's eyes narrowed and the person stared at the fighter long
and hard. "If you want to live I suggest you shut up and follow my orders.
You can still earn your money."

   "How?" Teria asked.

   "By helping me take Long House. In twenty minutes a large lutin force will
attack Long House through the front. While that's going on I'll let a group
in through the backdoor. All you have to do is help us. Once the group is in
we'll kill anything that gets in our way."

   "Including George?" Ferwig asked.

   The traitor laughed. "Yes, even George."

   The fighter and the mage exchanged looks.

   "One question," Teria asked. "Why are you doing this? Why betray your own
people?"

   "I want power and riches," the scout answered. "I saw the power Nasoj gave
to Loriod. If that fat fool can get such power, so can I, and I can do a lot
better then he did."

   "There are other things besides power and riches," Teria said. "But you're
too young to realize that."

   "Are you going to follow my commands or just lay there and preach."

   "As long as we get paid," Ferwig said.

   "Good," the traitor replied. "First we'll get your weapons, I have them
stashed nearby." Then he turned and left the cell.

   Ferwig followed the scout out the door and into the hallway. A few short
steps brought them to a small door. Moving quickly Ferwig rushed through into
the room beyond and almost tripped over a body that lay sprawled on the
floor. Looking at the corpse he recognized it as Janet, the lynx woman who
had helped bring him in. The fighter stepped over the body and retrieved his
weapons and equipment from the shelves they were resting on. Teria stepped
over the corpse without pausing and retrieved her own items.

   As they put their gear on Ferwig heard a low moan. Looking down he could
see the felines arm move ever so slightly. "She's still alive."

   The scout shrugged. "Not for long. I slit her throat."

   "Sloppy work," Teria said adjusting the last strap.

   "I'm not good at assassination, that's Finbar's job. If watching her die
bothers you; kill her."

   Ferwig looked at Teria for a long moment. They had been together for a
long time and no words were needed. He knew what she was thinking. "I'll do
it," he said finally.

   The fighter drew a dagger with his right hand and knelt down next to the
feline placing himself between Janet and the traitor. He brought the dagger
up over his head. With his left hand he grasped the lynx woman's hand with
surprising tenderness and he looked into her eyes. Something seemed to pass
between them for a moment. Then the blade came down; Janet jerked once and
lay still. Standing up he sheathed the blade and turned to the scout. "All
right traitor, lets go to this back door and let this group in. The sooner we
let them in the sooner Long house falls and we get paid."

   "We need to hurry," the traitor said. "The main attack will start in a few
minutes." With those words he turned and left the room. The two mercenaries
followed close behind.

****

   George raced up the steps, and passed the bubbling cauldrons and out onto
the balcony. The sounds of fighting echoed throughout the hall and then died
down. A tall woman dressed in robe but with a sword belted at her hip stood
at the battlements looking down into the room. "What happened Diane?" he
asked.

   "An attack," she answered. "By the sounds of it a major one."

   "Did the barricades hold?"

  "I haven't any seen lutins yet."

   A figure rushed across the room and stopped underneath the balcony. The
red squirrel morph was dressed in ragged and battered leather armor. The
sword he held in his hands had blood on the blade.

   "What happened sergeant Brea?" George asked the squirrel.

   "Sir," the squirrel replied. "They hit the north and east barricades at
the same time, at least sixty and forty lutins at each. We held them off but
they're reforming for another try. Plus there's been noise from the south
corridor."

   "Casualties?"

   "Two wounded, not serious."

   Can you hold them against another assault?" George asked. It was a tall
request; the squirrel had to hold three corridors with eight soldiers, two of
them wounded.

   "Their next attack will come at all three corridors at once," Brea
responded. "Either I get more people or we have to fall back to Long House. I
can't hold all three with eight people."

   "Agreed," the jackal responded. "I'll send you more people."

   "George," Diane interrupted. "We only have a few soldiers and almost half
of them are down there already."

   "Send more," George responded. "If they manage to corner us in Long house
we're half dead."

   Diane leaned over the rail. "We'll send you six more people," she told the
sergeant.

   "And the ballista," George added.

   "The ballista?" Diane asked.

   "We'll set it up in the center of the room where it can be aimed at all
the corridors," the jackal elaborated.

   The woman smiled at George, "I like how you think. I'm glad you're on our
side." Then she looked back to the squirrel. "We'll be setting the ballista
up to support you."

   The squirrel nodded, "Good. We can use the help. Brea turned and headed
back to his soldiers. The sergeant had been tasked to defend this large hall.
It wasn't even really Long House but a small dining hall in front of it.

   The room had three entrances into it, on the north, east and south walls.
There were no easily bolted doors there, just openings that lead into
corridors. To help defend the openings they had upended some of the wooden
tables to make barricades. Being over two inches thick the flat tabletops
made perfect walls. When vertical, they would stop any arrow from
penetrating.

   George had placed four people at each entrance. At the north entrance he
placed the barricade just inside the passage. Standing right behind the
wooden wall, was two swordsmen standing side by side. In the narrow confines
of the hallway there simply wasn't room for more then two. Behind the sword
fighters were a pair of pike wielding soldiers. It was an ingenious tactic.
The nine-foot long pikes stuck out past the sword points and the barricade.
Any attacker had to first get past the sharp points of the pikes before they
could get to the barricade itself. Even if they did get that far a lutin had
to fight their way past the swordsmen. All the while the two archers at the
rear would be peppering them with arrows. The final touch was the caltrops
scattered across the floor in front of the barricade. Really nothing more
then sharp, three pointed spikes anyone stepping on them would have their
feet pierced by a spike. It wouldn't kill a person but it would cripple them
and slow down the attack.

   For the south doorway George had the same thing, but he didn't have enough
pikes or archers to do that for the east barricade, so he placed three
crossbowmen there along with two spearmen. Not the best solution but all he
could do.

   The ballista had been set up by this time and the squirrel took the time
to check its placement. Brea hadn't worked with the siege weapon in a long
time but he still remembered how to use it. The ballista basically worked
like a large crossbow, except that the missile it fired as five feet long. It
was cocked by winding the string back with a small windless. The entire
weapon was mounted on a large wooden base with a pivot. With a simple push
the women who were crewing the weapon could swivel it in any direction.

   Suddenly there came the blaring of trumpets echoed across the hall and
soon it was joined by the sounds of combat. The last time they had only
attacked two barricades. This time the Lutins attacked all three at once.

****

Caroline waited calmly. For the tenth time she checked each of the arrows she
had prepared. There arraigned on the railing in front of her were twenty
arrows. Forty more arrows were resting in two quivers slung across her back.
She examined each of them with care, checking the feathers and shafts for
soundness. When done with the arrows she checked her long bow with the same
thoroughness.

   Beside her stood a tall rabbit morph who was also doing the same thing the
otter was, checking his bow and arrows. Caroline barely knew Padraic, but
George rated the brown, flop eared lapine very highly, and that was all she
needed to know.

   The two archers were standing in front of a waist high railing that made a
complete circle of the floor. There was nothing unusual about the floor
inside that circle. It was identical to the stones of the rest of the small
room they were in.

   A hand dropped onto her shoulder and she turned to find Misha standing
there. "We're ready," he said calmly.

   "I still wish you'd let me go," she commented.

   "No," the fox answered firmly. He was dressed in the camouflaged chain
mail that marked him as a Long Scout. Besides the ever present battle axe
Whisper strapped to his back, he had a long sword in a sheath at his hip. Two
hand axes were tucked into his belt and he carried a long bow and several
arrows in his right hand.

   "You can't keep protecting me Misha."

   "I know that," Misha answered. "I'll say this once more, my love. You're
the finest archer in the Keep and you're needed here." He gently touched the
arrows laid out on the railing. "These little items are keyed to you alone
and they'll be our edge in the fight. Plus you and Padraic are going to
protect our backs."

   "That we will," the rabbit said nervously.

   The remaining Long Scouts came up and clustered around the railing. All
were as well armed and armored as Misha.

   "Everyone ready?" the fox asked to the group.

   "My team is ready," Arla said quietly.

   "My team is ready as well," Laura announced.

   The scouts waited in silence. None had any illusions about this fight
being easy. All of them understood just how dangerous things would be.

   "This is has been our toughest battle yet," Misha said calmly. "From happy
celebration to a brutal fight for survival. It's killed many of our dearest
friends and family. This fight will end that struggle and pay them back for
all the Keepers they've killed. Everyone spread out and take position." The
scouts all took a spot at the railing. His final order of "take no
prisoners," went unspoken. They all knew it already, even Padraic.

   Misha took Whisper from off of his back and carefully leaned it against
the railing. He strung an arrow onto his bow and aimed it at the floor inside
the circle. All of the others quickly followed suit.

   "Kyia," Misha announced loudly. "Now!"

   Suddenly the floor inside the circle disappeared. Caroline could see a
large hall some fifty feet below crowded with Lutins, and  humans and she
scanned them looking for a target. The otter saw a group of Lutins and humans
protected by a barricade of wood at least six feet high. That would be
Selig's hiding place. A tough, little, wooden fortress in it own right that
crouched in the center of the hall. It even had little towers at each of the
four corners. She couldn't help but laugh, it was an impressive fort, but a
fort without a roof. The hole she was looking down through was directly over
the center of it.

   None of the people below seemed to know the Keepers were above them. That
was only short lived as Misha loosed a shaft down into the waiting crowd
beneath him. Everyone else joined in loosing, dropping or throwing missiles
as fast as possible. They seemed to fall haphazardly, without a clear target
but not one fell without striking a warm body. The floor below was soon was
littered with the bodies of the slain. Everyone shot as fast as possible,
everyone but Caroline.

   The otter took her time, picked up one of her special arrows, and drew her
bow. In the archery tournament last summer she had been awarded twelve arrows
for winning. The magic in those missiles was special, and she had saved them
until the right moment. This was finally the right time. She aimed for the
center of one the towers in Selig's hiding place. There were four Lutins with
bows there looking around for the killer of the man who was sprawled at their
feet. She released the bow string and reached for another arrow. She had just
grasped the missile when her first arrow reached it's target. There was a
bright flash and an explosion engulfed the whole tower and it's occupants.

   Misha put his bow down and picked up his battle axe. Jumping up onto the
railing he held the weapon over his head. The fox let out a long, eerie yowl
and stepped into open space.

***

 End part 70