[Vfw-times] Furry Story: The Logical Prodigal

Heartshotfoxley at aol.com Heartshotfoxley at aol.com
Sat Jan 13 17:19:41 CST 2001

They say that 'three times the charm'.  Well, here's my 3rd time trying to
send this!  :-O

I haven't written a story in a while, so this may be a little rusty, but here
goes...

The Logical Prodigal

By Heartshot Foxley

Quay Hunter sat with a leg shaking, determined to read this last chapter.
Frustrated and unable to keep thoughts of anger from his mind, the young
vulpine college professor put his book down again on the table before him and
rubbed a black furry claw through his hair.  He sighed and looked around the
busy library at the other patrons reading peacefully, seemingly enjoying
their day.  The gratifying silence was quickly interrupted, and the fox
turned to see what ceased the hush.

“Over here, Mommy!  The puppet show is getting ready to start,” a young
kitten
exclaimed as she pulled her mother in tow to Youngsville Storytime Theatre, a
section near the back of the library soley dedicated to children.   Other
children filed into the brightly decorated corner, filled with lots of
balloons, and a murial of the small town painted on the wall.  A friendly
gorilla dressed in a clown suit handed out candy to the youngsters.

Annoyed at the hullaballo, Quay swore under his breath.  'Children.  Isn’t
there anywhere I can go where I can get some peace and quiet these days?'
The fox rose from his seat and walked to a remote table near the corner of
the library.  Recorded background music could still be faintly heard as the
narrator introduced the story of ‘Peter and the Wolf’.

Unable to have children on his own, the music once again replayed the scene
of the night before in his mind.

“No, Sarah, I made up my mind,” the vulpine stormed around the living room
in front  of the roaring fireplace.  The tearful vixen held her paws to her
wrenched mouth, desperately wanting her mate to reconsider.

“If God won’t allow us to have children, then why should I serve Him?”

The vixen’s face streamed in tears, “Because He LOVES you Quay.”

“Yeah, well, if HE loved us, then why doesn’t HE show it?”

Sarah rubbed her eyes, then cupped her hands as she shook her head.  At one
point in time, the vixen herself had felt like an utter failure, until she
had sought her Lord.   After seeking His face, the Saviour showed His tender
mercy to his troubled lamb, giving her peace within her soul. “I don’t know
why Quay, but we’ve got to accept the fact that He knows what’s best for us.
 We can always adopt.  We can always adopt, Quay.”

“Not good enough!”  Quay stormed.   Heading for the door, the vulpine
quickly turned on his heels and pointed a finger to his disheartened wife.

“Don’t you ever, ever suggest going to church or say anything about God
anymore in this house!  You got it?”

The speechless vixen nodded her head in dumbfounded silence as her husband
slammed the door on his way out.   She knew he would be returning to the
university, even at this late time of the night.  Sarah wiped her eyes once
more and turned toward the flame.  The vixen closed her eyes and prayed to
the guardian of her heart.

“Please Dear Lord, watch after him.  I know he’s your child.  Please Jesus,
bring him
home.”

Quay sat with his head down in contemplation of the fight last night.  The
fox did not
return home, but indeed had spent the sleepless evening inside the
university, seeking answers inside the classroom instead of seeking God.  For
years, he and Sarah had been trying to have children, but to no avail.  The
music painfully continued to play in his ears.

Opening up his eyes, the vulpine’s attention was caught to a small folded
piece of paper lying near a bookcase on the floor.  'Someone carelessly threw
it down on the floor', the fox mused.   The floor was spotless except for the
small piece of paper that shone white as snow against the carpet of forest
green..  Curiosity started to grow within the fox, and when he could no
longer stand it, Quay walked over and picked up the small parchment.

Gently unfolding the piece of paper, the fox found the hidden treasure
inside.

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to
them who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

Oh how that verse reach down and answered his troubled soul!    A disobedient
runaway lamb, Quay knew his Saviour was speaking directly to him.  The fox
held the paper in his shaking paw and read the verse quietly once again.
Quay realized that instant that it was through His Saviour’s loving mercy
that kept he and his wife from some unforeseen circumstance.  Closing the
paper in the palm of his hand, the vulpine remembered what he had said to not
only Sarah, but to his Lord.

“Dear Lord, please forgive me for what I had said last night.  I don’t know
the reasons
why it’s not your will for us to have children, but I know you have a reason
for it.  Even though I don’t understand it now, I thank you Heavenly Father
for your kind, gracious mercy!  Not my will, but yours.  Amen!”

“Sarah,” the vulpine whispered, imagining his grieving wife standing by the
hearth.   Quay placed the paper inside his book and rushed home.

Upon reaching home, Quay saw his wife, running out of the door to greet him.
“Oh Quay!  I missed you so much!  I have some news for you!”

“W-what is it?” Quay asked, embracing his wife.

“I got a phone call from the doctor’s office this morning.  I had some tests
ran two weeks ago and the results have just came in today.”

The vulpine stared at his wife questioningly, unaware that she had went to
the doctor.

“I found out that the reason we haven’t been able to have children.   It
seems that I have inherited a bad gene from somewhere down my family line.
If we were to have had a child, the doctor said that it would be either had
been stillborn, or would have been severely retarded, and it’s chances of
survival would have been slim.”

Quay looked away from his wife, and looked down the book he was carrying.
  He
remembered the message penned on the small piece of paper.

“You see, I told you He loved us.  That’s the reason why the Lord didn’t
allow us to have children!  He knew we would have been brokenhearted!  He
hasn’t forsaken us,” Sarah smiled happily.

“Oh Sarah, I came home to tell you how sorry I was for leaving you, and to
show you
this,” the fox pulled out the paper that contained the verse.  As the vixen
read the precious reminder to all who are God’s children, Quay thought of his
Lord.  With a grateful heart, Quay whispered to his Saviour.  “It’s nice to
be back home.”

Quay kept the small parchment inside his drawer to look at from time to time
to remember that whatever circumstances he faced in life, the Lord was in
complete control.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith
the Lord.” Isaiah 55:8

Heartshot Foxley =^.^=