[Vfw-times] Cloudchaser's Memphit Furmeet con report-Includes artwork :-)

Rufinoform at aol.com Rufinoform at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 17:19:37 CDT 2001

Hello!

I said that when I got back from MFM that I would be sending out my con
report, so here it is :-)  As before with my Anthrocon report, I apologize if
anyone takes this to be a "here's what you missed, loser" type message as
opposed to what I intend for it to me, that is, a "wish you were here!" type
message :-)

FRIDAY
Unlike going to AC, no problems finding the hotel this time :-)  It was
almost easier finding the hotel than it was driving around the parking lot
trying to find the front door of the hotel :-)

As some of you already know, MFM is in a new hotel this year, having outgrown
the old hotel.  I think the organizers made a good choice.  Large hotel with
plenty of room to grow, right off the interstate, right next to the airport
and the hotel's restaurant had breakfast, lunch and dinner menus at
reasonable prices.  Also, unlike AC's hotel which had only 3 out of four
elevators working, this hotel has 5 elevators and they all work :-)  Makes it
a LOT easier to move between floors :-)

You all know how Borg ships are cubical in shape, right?  the con's two
bulliten boards have a 4 sided cubical shape.  So they instead of "Message
Board", they got tagged "Message Borg" :-)

I found that a good way to advertise a site at a furry con is to leave
something on the flyer table/message board with the URL to the site printed
on it.  I saw where someone had left cards advertising TNFur, a
yahoogroups.com list for furs who live in Tennessee and I was one of at least
3 furs that weekend who discovered that list and signed up for it because of
those cards.

Also, I have yet to check the hits they got since last Friday, but I left out
one set of cards advertising my main page, the page on my site that displays
all the artwork and stories with Cassie the Rock Vixen and  the page on my
site that displays all the artwork and stories with Vixina.  I also left out
a second set of cards advertising my "Louve RSD Awareness Page" (see my
signature at the end of this report for URL).  By when I got what was left of
the cards back Sunday evening, 119 of the first set had been taken and 110 of
the second set had been taken :-)

We were blessed with good weather all weekend.  True, it was cloudy and often
raining most of the weekend, but that's the point.  Temperatures stayed in
the 70's instead of being the usual near 100 that it is in Memphis at this
time of year.

SATURDAY
Most of today was spent running around getting sketches done.

I did discover one negative thing about the hotel's location.  Remember where
I said it was near the airport?  Memphis is the location of FedEx's
headquarters, the hotel is less than 2 miles from the end of one of the
runways and is almost directly under that runway's landing/takeoff slope.  So
it was noisy at times.  Stll, though, good choice of hotel overall :-)

Anytime you have a full moon at midnight during a furry con, you can pretty
much count on there being a howling.  That night at midnight, about 100 of us
went out in the parking lot & gathered in a circle to howl at the moon just
for the fun of it.  The amusing thing was that before we could get started,
we had to step aside to let cars moving through the parking lot get by and
every time we did, a few of the wolves would go running after the car.  Well,
what do you expect canids to do? :-)

SUNDAY
The con staffers running the fursuit masquerade were nice to people with
cameras, giving us first choice at the seats before they let everyone else in
so we could get good places for taking photo or video :-)  I would have got
photos of the masquerade, but I was taping it.

Video overall was dissapointing, the only video I got being of the fursuit
parade and later the masquerade.

I would have liked to have taped Kage's Story Hour, but was told by the furs
staffing the registration table that he wasn't going to be there.  I later
found out the reason why I was told that.  All weekend long, I kept seeing a
fur running around wearing a brown paper bag with brown paper ears & a black
tipped white cone with whiskers & a thick white rope for a tail, all as part
of what later got called "the cheapest fursuit ever".  He had "The Great
Mysterious Furry" on his con badge, so nobody knew who he was.  Then at the
fursuit masquerade mid-Sunday afternoon, he got unmasked.  I'll give you one
guess who it was :-)

As many of you already know, Tiger Haven (tigerhaven.org), a big cat
sanctuary near Knoxville, TN suffered a devestating fire in the last year
that destroyed some of their buildings and killed four tiger cubs.  The
charity auction and other donations raised over $6,000 that was given
directly to Tiger Haven representatives that were at the con :-)  HUMAN
representatives, silly!  Not actual live tigers! :-)

One really nice thing that I hope ets repeated was that ater the closing
ceremonies, every con attendee that wanted it got treated to a dinner of BBQ
chicken, mashed potatoes and beans with chocolate cream & walnut pie for
dessert :-)

PHOTOS
http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/mf01ph01.jpg
Due to the fact that apparently nobody can make a one-use camera that can
take decent photos in good light as well as bright light, I only 5 photos
because they all came out so dark (I am seriously thinking about getting a
digital camera that'll take better photos even though I'll hardly use it) ,
so I put them all in one image.  From top to bottom, two 2.5 week old kittens
that the Arkansas Humane Association had at their table in the Dealer's Den,
the view from my room on the 4th floor, the BBQ chicken dinner that was
offered to all MFM attendees after the closing ceremonies, an unknown fur and
two unknown fursuits posing for photos.

ARTWORK
Now for the final part of my con report.  This con, I got the most sketches
overall, with a total of 1 of myself, 12 of myself pictured with Vixina and
13 of Cassie the rock vixen :-)

MYSELF
All drawings of myself (and a few stories that I appear in) can be seen at
http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/Cloud002.htm

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/meac2001badge.jpg
Color con badge by Tiltwolfe

CASSIE THE ROCK VIXEN
All sketches of Cassie show her posing in her usual fancy dress, stockings
and with her guitar, which is how I told artists to draw her.  A sketch noted
as "action shot" means that Cassie is sketched as performing a show.  All
drawings of Cassie and several stories that she appears in can be seen at
http://members.aol.com/Cassie.htm

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/bill_holbrook_01.jpg
Pencil sketch by Bill Holbrook

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/eric_schwartz_01.jpg
Pencil Sketch by Eric Scwartz (action shot)

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/james_donaldson_01.jpg
Pencil sketch by James Donaldson

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/koz_01.jpg
Pencil sketch by Koz (action shot)

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/ksharra_01.jpg
Inked sketch by K'sharra (action shot)

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/mathias_blackwolf_01.jpg
Inked sketch by Mathias Blackwolf (action shot)

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/miachel_higgs_01.jpg
Pencil sketch by Miachel Higgs

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/oscar_finlayson_01.jpg
Inked sketch by Oscar Finlayson

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/pelzig_01.jpg
Inked sketch by Pelzig

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/rags_01.jpg
pencil/blue pencil sketch by Rags

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/randy_entinger_01.jpg
pencil/blue pencil sketch by Randy Entinger

http://members.aol.com/cassierockvixen2/tiltwolfe_01.jpg
Pencil sketch by Tiltwolfe

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/zorro_re_01.jpg
Inked blue pencil sketch by Zorro Re

VIXINA AND I
All sketches of Vixina and I and a few stories that we both appear in can be
seen at
http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/CldVix04.htm
I told all artists to draw Vixina and I in any clean romantic setting, saying
that I go by the "would I show this to my mother" standard.  Instead of her
usual tank top with her cutoff shorts, I had each artist draw Vixina wearing
either her triangle top with her cutoff shorts or her dress.  Again, Vixina
is a fictional character that's not even loosely based on anyone I know.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme03.jpg
Pencil sketch by Tiltwolfe of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff shorts)
with a wide eyed look of surprise on her face as she looks at me down on one
knee in front of her, you can probably guess from that what I'm doing :-)

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme11.jpg
Pencil sketch by Bill Holbrook of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff
shorts) and I looking at each other while we walk paw in paw.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme01.jpg
Inked sketch by Brian McPherson of Vixina (dress) and I standing nose to
nose, me saying something to her

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme02.jpg
Inked sketch by Bushycat of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff shorts)
supposedly having a picnic in a grassy meadow somewhere, but obviously having
lost interest in the food.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme09.jpg
Pencil Sketch by Chris Sutor of Vixina (dress) and I holding each other's
paws and looking into each other's eyes.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme05.jpg
Pencil sketch by K'sharra of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff shorts)
and I sitting poolside, legs dangling in the water, Vixina leaning towards me.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme04.jpg
Pencil sketch by Mathias Blackwolf of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff
shorts) and I sitting face to face, holding paws, leaning close to each other
and looking into each other's eyes.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme12.jpg
Pencil sketch by Miachel Angel Pena of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff
shorts) and I in a rocky woodland setting, me having fallen asleep with my
head on Vixina's lap (If you're wondering why the ears look the way they do,
that's probably because Miachel likes to draw squirrels)

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme10.jpg
Pencil sketch by Rags of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff shorts) with
a happy look on her face as I offer her a flower.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme06.jpg
Pencil sketch by Rags of Vixina (bikini triangle top and cutoff shorts)
looking back at me while I hold her from behind.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme08.jpg
Color sketch by Sammi of Vixina (dress) and I standing close, me touching her
face & holding her arm, Vixina holding my arm, the two of us looking into
each other's eyes.

http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/vixme07.jpg
Pencil sketch by Tigerjuice of Vixina (dress) and I standing close, me
holding her waist, Vixina holding my arms, our eyes closed & noses almost
touching.

Take care!  Hope you liked the report and the art and that you had as good of
a Labor Day weekend as I did!  Wuff!

Cloudchaser Shaconage, a chocolate & peanut butter lovin' Red Wolf furry
Louve RSD Awareness Page-In Honor of Louve
http://cloudchaser.esmartweb.com/louversd.htm
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, a devestating and painful illness that 1,000's
of people including my sister Louve must live with every day.  Louve is in
the final stage of full body RSD a.k.a. Dysautonomia, incurable and fatal
after prolonged severe suffering than can last for years
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/disorders/dysauto_doc.htm