[Vfw-times] MK Winter Assault part 30

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 23:27:18 CDT 2001

After a few more nods, smiles, and farewells, the four rats were nothing more
than a faint glimmer of light beyond the portal.  Charles watched them until
they disappeared around a corner and up a set of stairs.  Sighing, he turned
back to his fellow Sondeckis and gestured into the darkness before them.
"Shall we see if this takes us where we want to be?"

Jerome handed Garigan the other lantern, and soon they were walking down that
narrow passageway.  Charles took the lead, with Jerome at his back.  Garigan
followed quickly on the heels of the broad man, while Zagrosek stayed in the
rear, watching behind him, though all that could be seen was a passage
dwindling into darkness.  Of course, that was all Charles could see before
him as well, and that did not appear likely to change anytime soon.

Yet the passage did not contain the same sort of stink and disrepair that was
prevalent in their descent through the cellars and sub-cellars of the Keep.
Even so the passage, or at least what they could see of it in the hooded
light from the two lanterns, appeared to be rather old, with a dry musty
scent that neither Charles nor Garigan could place.  The stone lining the
passage was uniform black for the most part, though no signs of tunnelling or
other construction could be seen.  Even the corners were looked seamless, or
very nearly so.  It was as if the passage was formed from a single slab of
stone, shaped according to the will of the very earth.

"I must show this to Murikeer sometime," Charles said aloud, without
realizing he had done so, for the very thought that magic could have been
involved in its construction was startling to the rat.  He knew that the
skunk was familiar with the magics of the earth, and in fact that it was his
speciality.  Surely he would be intrigued by this ancient passage that did
not appear to have any normal construction.

"Who?" Jerome asked from behind him, peering ahead, and seeing nothing but
the endless passageway.

"A friend I've made recently.  I think this passage might have been made
magically."

"It does appear to be abnormally straight and smooth," the larger man
confessed, his head nearly touching the roof of the hall.  It was not a large
passage, despite its length.  Instead, it was narrow, barely five feet
across, and only two feet more from floor to ceiling.  Charles was grateful
for the light; for otherwise he knew the madness that had crept upon him only
a few hours ago would overwhelm him here.  As it was he felt confined and
squeezed on all sides, for the illumination provided by the lantern in his
hand only pierced a few paces of darkness, and the black walls leaned heavily
in to either side.  It was as if they were in a room made entirely of
shadows, the floor revolving beneath their feet as they progressed from
nowhere to nowhere.  The way it appeared to narrow ahead only made him more
nervous with each step forward he took.  Yet, it never turned and it never
changed its proportions.

And so far, it did not appear to end. "I wonder if we won't end up in the
Dragon Mountains before we leave this tunnel."

Jerome let out a guarded laugh at that. "If it does, the fighting will be
done and over with before we even escape this place!"

"And we'll be damn hungry too," Charles murmured, gently pressing a palm to
his belly.  The thought of food had stirred his stomach in revolt, and it
voiced its misgivings to him quite vocally then, gurgling through his fur and
clothes.

Jerome heard it and gave another of his light chuckles. "I'm sure we will
find something to eat when we leave this place.  It will be at least a day's
walk to this Glen Avery if I reckon the distance correctly."