[Vfw-times] MK Winter assault part 79

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 01:56:25 CST 2002

Lord Avery had already drained two mazers full of mead yet his nerves were
still wound tight, like a new sapling tied in a knot, threatening to work
loose and swing violently about and smacking all who were nearby. The badger
who was morosely glaring at the map before them was not much better, every
now and then striking the table in heated frustration, and constantly pacing
his wide girth back and forth behind the table.  Lady Avery's slender paw was
resting on Brian's shoulder, her words soft-spoken and soothing, but
ultimately they could not remove the stain that Calephas had left upon his
thoughts.

His boys were off to one side of the bar, still rubbing down the slender
shafts of fir that had been collected.  Their small rasps were more than
adequate to add the proper notches and to make the indentations necessary for
the fletching.  They were not discouraged by the fact that several of the
scouts that they had grown up with were now dead.  Rather they appeared
emboldened to try and help all those that they lived in this forest with.
Though Brian did not know which would take his place and watch over the Glen,
he knew in his heart that they would be good stewards, either of them.

Yet his knuckles tensed, the flesh beneath his fur whitening with strain as
the horrid images that Calephas had implanted rose once more to the surface.
That beast who only bore the semblance of a man wanted to use Brian's progeny
for his sexual amusement, debasing their bodies in whatever fashion he chose,
before throttling the life from them and discarding their useless flesh in
some faeces-infested gutter.  That very notion burned Avery's heart and made
him wish nothing more than to see the Baron's privates skewered left out for
the crows, among other even less wholesome mutilations.

Yet as he listened to the soothing words his wife murmured into his short,
round ears he knew that his mind ought to be elsewhere and not on devising
more interesting and painful tortures for the dog of a man locked in their
redwood cell.  Leaning back he ran a single paw up into her cheek fur,
disturbing the grey of her ruff, his dark eyes meeting hers and sharing an
instant of untamed fear.  Then, sighing, he said softly, "I love you,
Angela."

Her short muzzle broke into a gentle smile and she pressed her two large
teeth against the side of his head, planting a kiss upon his own ruff.  She
then blinked in sweet but reassuring delight.  Though, with a bit of mischief
about her, she replied, "I'll think about it."

Lord Avery laughed then, finding the tension in his body relaxing somewhat as
he turned back and gave her a kiss of his own, his nose twitching at her
lovely scent.  There was a tinge to it that was pleasantly familiar.  With a
bit of chagrin he realized that she was beginning to come into season.  He
blinked in surprise as he recognized this fact, appearing almost embarrassed
as he sat there facing her.

She caught the look and nodded, knowing precisely what he'd realized.
Setting a single claw upon his nose, she tapped it in admonishment. "After
Nasoj's troops have been beaten, dear."

Angus peered up at them curiously, but said nothing, his own nose quite
capable of telling him all that he needed to know.  Instead he set his dark
orbs back on the map of the Valley that was stretched out before them on the
table.  Leaning forward, he rubbed the white diamond on his forehead,
pretending to be lost in his own thoughts despite the fact that the Baron had
rendered him too incensed to keep focussed.

"Well, I think we should really try to work out a plan of action," Lord Avery
suddenly interjected, his voice filled with new purpose.  Angus did not
mention he had a very good idea what that purpose might be.  In fact he found
it quite amusing, something that he would have to confront his friend about
over a good mazer of mead one day, many months from now.

Several of the other Glenners began to get approach their table, setting down
the work they'd been doing. Most were busy repairing broken weapons, piecing
together new shirts of mail, sewing cloth garments to help protect them from
the chill season, or lying down with their muzzle in their arms to catch a
bit of sleep between patrol shifts.  In one corner Walter looked up briefly
before she returned to stitching appliqué heraldry of the Glen into various
tunics and coats.  She had insisted that they allow her that vocation while
they kept her cooped up in these travertine caves away from her home and her
looms.  Avery knew that she did not blame him for this, and so had not argued
but allowed the tailor to pursue her own agenda when she was not needed
elsewhere.

Alldis came up behind Brian from the other side and crossed his long arms
over his broad chest, the thick black nails of his three-fingered hands
tapping his elbows. "Well, what exactly did you have in mind?  You said the
Baron was not very forthcoming.  Aside from that relay station, of course."

Angus shook his head and hit the table again with his thick fist.  The table
shook with the force of the blow and the mazer set before Lord Avery nearly
toppled, saved only by the squirrel's swift paw. "He gave us numbers of
troops, and as they were we could never hope to match them.  Presumably the
Metamorians have dispatched a good number of them by now, but we can't depend
on that."

"And presumably Nasoj is there," Alldis finished for him, lifting that
hoof-like hand to tap at his slender snout. "It could be a lie of course.  I
would hardly expect honesty from a man of his habits, but what if it is
true?"

A small voice piped up, hushed as if expecting swift rebuke because though
the speaker was obviously nervous, "He is a powerful mage.  If we tried to
attack him, he could scatter us to the winds, mi'lords."

Angus grunted as his eyes trailed to the white ermine who had been sharpening
his mien gauche upon a whetstone.  Fellen had been under the boot-heel of the
thankfully late Lord Loriod, and so had trouble escaping the subservient
habits that the fat man had instilled in him.  And it had not just been
through force of arms that had so ground his spirit to dust, but also through
the geas of magic.  It was little wonder that he feared Nasoj so greatly.

Berchem shook his head as he continued to dust some of the white powder from
his fur.  He'd just recently returned from a patrol of the region but had
found not even a single living Lutin skulking about in the thick snow. "An
arrow can kill any man, if they do not see it coming," he said simply, his
voice carrying with it the weight of many years of hard won experience.

"If he comes out into the open." Fellen countered, his tail whipping from
side to side in his nervous tension.

"Well that is all well and good, but it doesn't help us too terribly much,"
Lord Avery pointed out, spreading his paws before him as he rose from his
seat.  Angela stood close to his side, her paw still resting upon his
shoulder as her long, bushy tail mingled with his own. "We have to decide
what to do. I believe at least one thing that Calephas said.  If Metamor
falls, then so will the rest of us."

"I'm afraid he is right about that," Alldis muttered sourly.

"He is." Brian continued. "If Metamor falls, so do we.  That is why I believe
that Nasoj has centred his forces on the Keep.  We should find token
resistance throughout the rest of the valley because the great bulk of their
forces here," he tapped the castle which occupied near the very centre of the
pass between the mountains. "We've destroyed their supply line and we'll have
taken that relay station soon, but I do not believe that it will hurt them at
all anymore."

"Why not?" Berchem asked, sounding mildly upset about that.  It was not hard
to imagine why, as he had led the expedition into the chasm to destroy the
Northern bridge, as well as the one that had travelled down the road to
determine whether Calephas had been telling the truth about the relay
station.  Much to their dismay the Baron had been honest, giving them one
more task to perform before they could help Metamor.

"Because there are at least a hundred men in his service, mercenaries most
likely.  I have grave doubts that they would have signed on if the siege had
been intended to last more than a few days.  It has been almost four since
the battle started, so they must feel victory is soon to come."

Angus glanced at the map thoughtfully, studying the lay of the land and the
thick of the forest that surrounded Metamor's northern borders.  He could see
Glen Avery in one corner, secluded, with only Barnhardt's estate a two-hour
walk to the South.  He pursed his lips thoughtfully, rubbing his nose
absently with one claw. "Has our envoy to Lord Barnhardt returned yet?"

Alldis shook his head, the great set of antlers threatening to dislodge the
paltry chandelier that swung absently from the timbered roof. "No, that party
hasn't returned yet.  They should sometime soon though.  If the newt has
troops left I cannot imagine him refusing to join them in any scheme we may
devise."

Lord Avery nodded, and considered. "I can hardly imagine him refusing to help
either, despite our grievances."

Angus's brow furrowed at that. "He won't come join the fight, so you needn't
worry about that."

"Of course he won't join the fight himself, he's a newt.  He's probably
having his wife soak him in a tub of warm water just so the weather doesn't
kill him.  I won't blame him for that-" Lord Avery cut his diatribe short,
lest he begin to blame his Southern neighbour for the various disputes they'd
had over the years.

"In any event," Alldis spoke, "let us assume that he sends his troops to join
us.  We obviously have to make some sort of attack against Nasoj's troops.
>From what side though, and by what path?"

"Well," Berchem mused as he drew closer. "Their wagons were moving down along
the main road, and they do have that one station just a short distance south
of the glen along it.  There may be more groups stationed along the road that
Calephas didn't tell us about.  But we should have little trouble in sacking
them unless they are as heavily garrisoned as the Dike."

"True enough, so it sounds like our forces should follow the road South,
though flanking it rather than on it.  That sounds reasonable to me.  We'll
also need to take that watchtower as efficiently as possible, so that they
can't warn their brethren at the Keep.  I suggest a small team of archers and
fliers.  Burris can help with that.  And what should we do once we near the
castle itself?" Lord Avery asked.

"Well, I suppose we would have to see depending on where the troops are
placed." the skunk replied, rather stumped.  If only they had more
information about Nasoj's troop placement at the Keep they might be able to
plan properly, the Lord of the Glen bemoaned to himself.  He could see that
wistful look on the face of all of his brethren here, each one wishing that
they just knew a little bit more about what was going on.

"Another good question," Alldis then mused, tapping his muzzle again with one
thick hoofed finger. "How many of our men are we going to take to Metamor,
and how many stay behind to guard the Glen?"

At this Lady Avery sucked in her breath, though her paw was firm and steady
upon Brian's shoulder.  The grey squirrels regarded each other for a moment
before Lord Avery turned back to the rest around the table.  His voice was
certain and stern though the edges had been rounded smooth, betraying his
concern for his people. "We will leave only a dozen men to protect all those
here who cannot fight.  The children will be taken below to the lower caves
and kept hidden down there until we return.  The men will wait in the brewery
here and defend it should the Lutins discover it.  If four days pass and
those who remain behind do not receive word from us then I want you all to
leave this place and head for the mountains to the West."

There were a few about the room who began to object to that, but Lord Avery
waved them silent with one paw. "I know, I do not like to think of abandoning
our home to those monsters, but we may have no choice.  If you do not hear
from us in four days we will either be dead or captured.  I do not want to
see the same happen to any of the children, be they of my blood or not.
Angela will lead you into the Dragon Mountains and from there you will hide
as best you can and keep living with the hope that one day you'll be strong
enough to push the Lutins back out of our home."

Angus snorted. "I'm surprised Nasoj chose this time to invade.  The entire
continent is girding itself for war, ever since the Patriarch died.  At least
that's what I hear from Metamor.  Even if Nasoj wins he'll ride right down
into the Midlands only find seasoned troops waiting for him."

Lord Avery nodded at that, breathing deep, his heart soft after ordering such
a terrible thing.  Yet he could feel the warm touch of his beloved wife and
he knew that she would be strong enough to carry on and raise their sons to
fight for the Glen, even if they could not live there. "So I want to take
every other available fighter down to Metamor.  I wish that Matthias could
come, as he is far more familiar with the area than any of us, but we'd kill
him if we tried to bring him.  It takes about five hours to reach Metamor
from here via carriage.  I want to be there by midday tomorrow with as many
troops as we can muster.  We will wait until midnight to hear from Barnhardt,
but then I'm afraid we will have no choice but to strike out on our own."

"We'll have at least sixty men," Angus said, running his large black claws
through the thick ruff of his cheek fur. "If you want to include some of our
new recruits who haven't finished their training yet then we'll have just
over eighty."

"Yes, bring every paw that we have," Lord Avery said, spreading his own
slender paws across the map.  He was about to continue when there was a
pounding from the barricade at the main entrance to the brewery.  Three firm
raps, then a pause followed by two slower ones in a earlier agreed upon
sequence.  They each let their breath exhale, though drawn swords were still
held tightly, the fresh leather crinkling in their calloused hands as the
guards opened the door to the outside.

A small cadre of Glenners poured into the warmth shaking snow from their
cloaks and their fur.  The wind shrieked through the aperture and plumes of
snow blew inward, sprinkling the roan horse who stood watch with speckled
white.  Their eyes turned to the lead figure, another buck whose set of
antlers was only slightly less dramatic than Alldis' own.  Hearts leapt in
delight at the sight of the proprietor of Glen Avery's only Inn.  Voices were
raised to congratulate the stalwart buck at his safe return from his mission
to the South.

"Jurmas!" Brian Avery called out over the din of the crowd. "Please be
bringing good news, for we sorely need it at this hour."

Jurmas shoved the thick coat from his shoulders, wrapping his arms about his
chest, the thick green tunic underneath damp from the snow.  His wife, a
slender doe who had been helping Mrs Levins in the kitchens, rushed to greet
him and drew his chilled body close, sharing her warmth.  The buck smiled and
gently kissed her, whispering words of assurance and relief before turning to
his Lord. "We've come back from Barnhardt's lands fast as we could.  He's
agreed to put his men into the field under our joint banner.  He dickered
about it enough though." The buck muttered, "I had to remind him just who was
invading Metamor at least three times.  Sometimes I think the water is
sloshing around in his head, and not the other way around."

His complaints were not unexpected, as was the buck's habit.  Alldis regarded
him dismissively, though his own narrow muzzle was breaking into a cervine
grin at the news.  Avery hoped that the two bucks had gotten over their
animosity from the embarrassing rut this last Autumn, but instincts were hard
to dismiss.  All he needed was another waft of Angela's luscious scent to
remind him of how powerful it could be.

"How many men does Lord Barnhardt plan to send?" Angus asked finally as he
leaned his large form across the table.

"Not nearly as many as we hoped," Jurmas groused as he continued to rub his
arm fur free of the damp snow. "The Lutins had sent a small force to pen them
in before moving onto the  Keep but his soldiers spotted and engaged them
yesterday morning, so he won't give us more than a third of his garrison out
of fear that there might be a counterattack.  He's sending at least a hundred
men; thirty archers and three times as many foot.  He only wishes to know
where he should send them."

"Thank you Jurmas, we'll discuss that now.  I'll send another group to inform
him once we've reached a decision." Lord Avery smiled at the Innkeeper, one
of the first he'd given that evening, and certainly the first since
interrogating that foul Baron.

"Of course, my Lord." Jurmas acknowledged, bowing gracefully, his antlers
sweeping out before him, nearly catching on the edge of a nearby table.  When
he straightened he looked about, his light voice turning sour, "Now, where
can I get some warm food and drink into my stomach?  I've been walking
through the snow all day after all, and having to deal with stubborn newts!"

His wife led him to the counter where Lars was already bringing him some of
his mead and a plate of Mrs. Levins' vegetable stew.  Jurmas continued to
lament his travails privately to his wife around mouthfuls of potato, while
Lord Avery and the rest returned once more to their map.

"There, I think." Alldis said, tapping a cluster of hills just South of the
Lake near Barnhardt's estate.  "It will take us at least four hours to reach
there on foot.  We can wipe out the relay post quickly enough, and then
continue on down to wait for reinforcements there, as it is relatively
secluded and a good distance from the main road."

Angus nodded in agreement. "I can have our men keep those hills secure until
Barnhardt's men arrive.  It probably is the best place.  If we send a group
to meet with Barnhardt now, and leave ourselves within the hour, we will
probably only be waiting an hour or two before we can push on further South
to Metamor."

"In the night no less," Lord Avery said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "That
will be awfully hard on those of us without fur."

"True," the badger mused. "I recommend we keep what humans we have here at
the Glen, excepting Charles' friends should they decide to come.  From what
I've heard them say, I think we want them there at our front."

"Good, send somebody to fetch them and Garigan.  What humans we have stay
here in the brewery.  Angus, I leave the choice of any others for this
place's defence up to you."

"What about the Baron?" Angus asked, his voice full of disgust.

Avery's dark eyes narrowed.  Those orbs strayed to two small squirrels who
were watching the conference with barely veiled curiosity even as they
continued to work on fashioning the bits of wood into arrows with their
rasps.  He then looked back the badger, the malice held within his gaze plain
and clear. "Set a guard upon him, but if something unfortunate happens to the
prisoner, I don't care."

The others around the table nodded, sharing the sentiment wholeheartedly.

End part 79