No subject

Mon Jun 21 02:55:29 CDT 2004

But I have no idea what time it is down here.  For all we know, a day could
come and go and we may never see the sun."

Charles let out a bitter report. "With this blizzard, we could never see the
sun anyway!"

There was silence for a few moments after that, as the four of them trudged
on in the dark, only that feeble light from the two lanterns any consolation
for them.  Yet every step felt like the last, and every new bit of the tunnel
looked just like the rest of it had: endless and unchanging.  The rat found
himself half-wishing for the fungus and mould that had been a common feature
of the Keep's cellars.  To see it adorn the walls in any fashion, even a tiny
bit of it, would relieve the monotony the black stone represented.

Running his paws across its shiny black surface he pondered aloud, "Is this
obsidian?"

Jerome reached out to feel the wall as well as he walked, the lantern held in
the other hand.  "I'm not sure.  It doesn't feel quite right.  It's not
glossy enough, I don't think.  It isn't jet at least, doesn't have the right
smell." Charles tried not to snort.  He could have told him that!  However,
Jerome, not noting the comical nature of his statement, went on. "Strangely
enough, it almost reminds me of pearl."

"Pearl?" Charles said in some surprise. "Do you have any idea how expensive
even a fragment of this wall would be if this were indeed pearl?"

"I have more an idea of that then how this wall came to be if it is fashioned
from pearl," Jerome pointed out, letting his hand fall from the stone. "Do
you know where they find pearls?"

"Somebody told me once, it had something to do with the sea if I recall."

"Oysters," Jerome exclaimed, though in a subdued tone of voice.  It was clear
he found the process a bit disconcerting. "They're found in oysters, and
rarely at that.  So I ask you, how could they possibly have found enough to
fashion a tunnel as long as this out of black pearls, which are the rarest of
them all?"

Charles had no choice but to shrug helplessly. "I really don't know.  I don't
even know for how long we've walked even!  It feels like forever already."

Zagrosek's voice came from the rear of their group, and despite his quiet
whisper, they both knew he was being sardonic. "At least won't have to worry
about Lutins attacking us down here.  You two will bore them to death first."

That ended the debate on the composition of the tunnel walls, though both
Charles and Jerome continued to ponder it.  Even so, the walk soon took their
minds to other places.  After what seemed hours, the rat finally stopped a
moment, stretching both of his legs.  The others saw this and did likewise.
Soreness had begun to creep into their bodies as if it were born there.  A
short while later, after having travelled a bit further, they did the same
thing again.  A third time they stretched, not twenty minutes after, and it
was about that time that they realised that they had to make a decision.

"This is longer than I had realised it would be," Charles said, leaning
against the black wall.  He rubbed his paw over the stone, no longer
wondering whether it was obsidian or pearl.  The aching in his joints
occupied his thoughts. "I think we ought to take a short rest before moving
on."

Zagrosek, who had already collapsed into a sitting position, cradling the
collapsed Sondeshike in his hands, nodded emphatically. "I agree, we've
walked at least four or five hours, and seen not a single change in this
whole place.  For all we know, this tunnel may never end."

Though it had been a jocular statement, neither Charles nor Garigan was apt
to take it as such. "What if it doesn't?" Garigan asked, his musteline frame
quite suddenly erect. "I mean, what if this is a magical passage, and this
direction continues on forever?  There are stranger things at Metamor.  We've
seen as such."

"That room, for instance," Jerome finished the unspoken thought.  They each
dwelled on that for a moment.  The room in which they had faced Wessex and
his summoned shrieker had been constructed oddly, with every angle appearing
to be a right angled corner, but finding many more of them than should be in
any room.  Things had distorted oddly about the space in the centre, and
every time they touched a wall, gravity would shift with it.  Yet, it had
disappeared as soon as the vortex had closed.  Who could say if an endless
corridor did not exist?

Charles shook his head though, slapping his paws on the floor. "Look, that's
merely a speculation.  I cannot imagine the Keep herself creating something
like this, especially since we are trying to fight invaders to the Keep."

"Are we?" Jerome asked. "We're running off to this Glen Avery to see if it is
okay.  For all we know, they could remain unmolested, and this is just the
Keep's way of telling us where we are needed."

Charles glanced at Garigan.  This whole expedition had been undertaken at his
insistence.  Only he could lead them to turn around.  As long as he was set
on venturing to Glen Avery, Charles and the other Sondeckis were dedicated to
accompanying him.  The ferret though, appeared to take Jerome's remarks
seriously, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.  Finally, after a moment of
silence, he spoke, slowly, and carefully. "If what you say is true, then our
travelling to Glen Avery would have wasted our talents in the defence of
Metamor.  Maybe even give the Lutins some tactical advantage. For all we
know, we could be the bird that breaks the branch, as my people say."

He picked up one of the lanterns, and peered inside the receptacle. "We have
about two thirds of the oil we started with left in this lantern.  If, as we
continue down this hall, it reaches the half-mark, then I am willing to turn
around to help the Keepers.  Would that satisfy the rest of you?"

Charles nodded and smiled warmly to his student. Though it was just as chill
in this ancient tunnel as it had been in the cellars beneath the Keep, he
could feel the cold leave his body as he gazed at his student with profound
respect.  Rising to his feet, he nodded yet again. "All right, that settles
it, a few hours more, and if we see nothing, we turn back.  Let's just hope
our legs an hold out that long!"

"A-men!" both Jerome and Zagrosek chorused together.  Garigan blinked once at
the expression, but said nothing as he resumed his place in the line.  The
two Sondeckis though switched places, and so Krenek carried the lantern
behind the rat, the familiar sound of his breathing filling Matthias's round
ears.

**

The plan they agreed upon was simple. They would head to the armory, if the
place was held by the lutins they would take it back. That took all of ten
minutes to come up with. Preparing everyone took two hours. Misha broke up
both teams into small groups, making sure there was a Long scout in every
group.

"I don't care if you could hit a fly with an arrow at a mile off," Finbar
shouted. "You'll carry a sword just in case."

"I don't need one," Bradfox countered.

The ferret's small ears laid back against his skull and he opened his mouth
to reply, but he said nothing. Instead Finbar stood for a moment and
considered. When he finally spoke it was in a calm voice. "Battle is a
chaotic place. There is no telling what will happen. There is no way to
guarantee that a lutin won't get past us and come at you with a sword. If you
don't have a way to defend yourself you'll endanger everyone else. We need to
know that in the heat of battle we don't have to worry about you." The ferret
held up the sword and the man, glowering at the weapon, silently took it.

**

December 25 - 9am

The snow had slowed to a light powdering when the group arrived at the outer
gate. Most of the wreckage had been removed but numerous bodies still
littered the passage. The smell of burnt and boiled lutins filled the air.
The small group on horseback took no notice of the many dead lutins littering
the passage in the gatehouse.

In a few moments the seven mounted figures moved into the courtyard beyond.
There were bodies everywhere, human, lutin and keeper, all intermingled in
death. The harsh smell of smoke and the putrid stink of death filled the air.
A mute testimony to the ferocity of the fighting that had taken place here.
The riders took no notice of any of that, their midnight black steeds
trodding with heavy hooves upon the shattered bodies scattered before them.

A tall lutin dressed in plate mail armor rushed up to the riders and flung
himself on the ground in submission. "Welcome Lord Polteen. General Selig
reporting. The enemy has been crushed at the outer gate and is in full flight
back to the keep itself."

The person at the head of the group of riders was tall, even for a human,
standing well over six feet tall without the imposing height offered by being
in the saddle.  He was dressed in long, flowing black robes that were edged
in silver and gold. Brown hair framed a hard face and steel gray eyes which
showed no warmth or mercy. "Good," he said coldly. "I don't wish to annoyed
by any keepers."

"No my lord. I have a bodyguard ready to protect you," the general said
pointing to a group of ogres and lutins that were off to one side. All were
like the general, flat on the ground in submission.

Polteen laughed, a cold, hard sound that frightened even the ogres. "We have
no need of those stupid oafs. Just keep your people out of our way."

"Yes my lord," Selig answered.

Polteen slowly moved his horse forward, forcing the prostrate lutin to
scramble aside lest he be strode upon by the human's massive black horse.
Gleaming, blood red eyes glared balefully at the Lutin as the beast tossed
its head.  Selig backed away from the magically enhanced horse, head bowed as
he noticed a very similar red-eyed black horse slightly behind the mage and
to one side.  Astride the nightmarish beast was a short woman also dressed in
black robes. Her red hair was tied into a ponytail with a mithiril chain. Her
face showed nothing but disdain as she looked down at the general.

Behind the two wizards, were four more riders all dressed in the black and
silver robes of mages. The seventh and last rider was a woman, dressed in
expensive furs and wearing the gold collar of a trusted slave. She was
leading two horses. The first animal was piled high with bundles and bags
containing all sorts of equipment. As the last animal passed, Selig noticed
that a young girl was tied to the saddle. Looking barely twelve years old she
was dressed only in rags and looked close to death from the cold. The lutin
saw panic and fear in the girl's eyes but he felt no pity for her. He didn't
care about what happened to any Keepers. All that mattered to him was his own
life and those of his soldiers. The general could not waste time and emotion
on the enemy. Still, as she passed he couldn't help wondering what hideous
fate awaited the captive.

In a few moments the figures were passed him. Selig stood up and motioned for
his soldiers to do the same. He turned and looked in the direction the mages
had taken. The riders slowly disappeared into the swirling snow leaving the
living and dead behind them.

**
End part 30

--part1_bd.142754ce.28d82726_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>After a few more nods, smiles, and farewells, the four rats were nothing more than a faint glimmer of light beyond the portal. &nbsp;Charles watched them until they disappeared around a corner and up a set of stairs. &nbsp;Sighing, he turned back to his fellow Sondeckis and gestured into the darkness before them. "Shall we see if this takes us where we want to be?"
<BR>
<BR>Jerome handed Garigan the other lantern, and soon they were walking down that narrow passageway. &nbsp;Charles took the lead, with Jerome at his back. &nbsp;Garigan followed quickly on the heels of the broad man, while Zagrosek stayed in the rear, watching behind him, though all that could be seen was a passage dwindling into darkness. &nbsp;Of course, that was all Charles could see before him as well, and that did not appear likely to change anytime soon.
<BR>
<BR>Yet the passage did not contain the same sort of stink and disrepair that was prevalent in their descent through the cellars and sub-cellars of the Keep. &nbsp;Even so the passage, or at least what they could see of it in the hooded light from the two lanterns, appeared to be rather old, with a dry musty scent that neither Charles nor Garigan could place. &nbsp;The stone lining the passage was uniform black for the most part, though no signs of tunnelling or other construction could be seen. &nbsp;Even the corners were looked seamless, or very nearly so. &nbsp;It was as if the passage was formed from a single slab of stone, shaped according to the will of the very earth.
<BR>
<BR>"I must show this to Murikeer sometime," Charles said aloud, without realizing he had done so, for the very thought that magic could have been involved in its construction was startling to the rat. &nbsp;He knew that the skunk was familiar with the magics of the earth, and in fact that it was his speciality. &nbsp;Surely he would be intrigued by this ancient passage that did not appear to have any normal construction.
<BR>
<BR>"Who?" Jerome asked from behind him, peering ahead, and seeing nothing but the endless passageway.
<BR>
<BR>"A friend I've made recently. &nbsp;I think this passage might have been made magically."
<BR>
<BR>"It does appear to be abnormally straight and smooth," the larger man confessed, his head nearly touching the roof of the hall. &nbsp;It was not a large passage, despite its length. &nbsp;Instead, it was narrow, barely five feet across, and only two feet more from floor to ceiling. &nbsp;Charles was grateful for the light; for otherwise he knew the madness that had crept upon him only a few hours ago would overwhelm him here. &nbsp;As it was he felt confined and squeezed on all sides, for the illumination provided by the lantern in his hand only pierced a few paces of darkness, and the black walls leaned heavily in to either side. &nbsp;It was as if they were in a room made entirely of shadows, the floor revolving beneath their feet as they progressed from nowhere to nowhere. &nbsp;The way it appeared to narrow ahead only made him more nervous with each step forward he took. &nbsp;Yet, it never turned and it never changed its proportions.
<BR>
<BR>And so far, it did not appear to end. "I wonder if we won't end up in the Dragon Mountains before we leave this tunnel."
<BR>
<BR>Jerome let out a guarded laugh at that. "If it does, the fighting will be done and over with before we even escape this place!"
<BR>
<BR>"And we'll be damn hungry too," Charles murmured, gently pressing a palm to his belly. &nbsp;The thought of food had stirred his stomach in revolt, and it voiced its misgivings to him quite vocally then, gurgling through his fur and clothes.
<BR>
<BR>Jerome heard it and gave another of his light chuckles. "I'm sure we will find something to eat when we leave this place. &nbsp;It will be at least a day's walk to this Glen Avery if I reckon the distance correctly."
<BR>
<BR>From behind the two of them Garigan spoke softly. "That sounds about right. &nbsp;But I have no idea what time it is down here. &nbsp;For all we know, a day could come and go and we may never see the sun."
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Charles let out a bitter report. "With this blizzard, we could never see the sun anyway!"
<BR>
<BR>There was silence for a few moments after that, as the four of them trudged on in the dark, only that feeble light from the two lanterns any consolation for them. &nbsp;Yet every step felt like the last, and every new bit of the tunnel looked just like the rest of it had: endless and unchanging. &nbsp;The rat found himself half-wishing for the fungus and mould that had been a common feature of the Keep's cellars. &nbsp;To see it adorn the walls in any fashion, even a tiny bit of it, would relieve the monotony the black stone represented.
<BR>
<BR>Running his paws across its shiny black surface he pondered aloud, "Is this obsidian?"
<BR>
<BR>Jerome reached out to feel the wall as well as he walked, the lantern held in the other hand. &nbsp;"I'm not sure. &nbsp;It doesn't feel quite right. &nbsp;It's not glossy enough, I don't think. &nbsp;It isn't jet at least, doesn't have the right smell." Charles tried not to snort. &nbsp;He could have told him that! &nbsp;However, Jerome, not noting the comical nature of his statement, went on. "Strangely enough, it almost reminds me of pearl."
<BR>
<BR>"Pearl?" Charles said in some surprise. "Do you have any idea how expensive even a fragment of this wall would be if this were indeed pearl?"
<BR>
<BR>"I have more an idea of that then how this wall came to be if it is fashioned from pearl," Jerome pointed out, letting his hand fall from the stone. "Do you know where they find pearls?"
<BR>
<BR>"Somebody told me once, it had something to do with the sea if I recall."
<BR>
<BR>"Oysters," Jerome exclaimed, though in a subdued tone of voice. &nbsp;It was clear he found the process a bit disconcerting. "They're found in oysters, and rarely at that. &nbsp;So I ask you, how could they possibly have found enough to fashion a tunnel as long as this out of black pearls, which are the rarest of them all?"
<BR>
<BR>Charles had no choice but to shrug helplessly. "I really don't know. &nbsp;I don't even know for how long we've walked even! &nbsp;It feels like forever already."
<BR>
<BR>Zagrosek's voice came from the rear of their group, and despite his quiet whisper, they both knew he was being sardonic. "At least won't have to worry about Lutins attacking us down here. &nbsp;You two will bore them to death first."
<BR>
<BR>That ended the debate on the composition of the tunnel walls, though both Charles and Jerome continued to ponder it. &nbsp;Even so, the walk soon took their minds to other places. &nbsp;After what seemed hours, the rat finally stopped a moment, stretching both of his legs. &nbsp;The others saw this and did likewise. &nbsp;Soreness had begun to creep into their bodies as if it were born there. &nbsp;A short while later, after having travelled a bit further, they did the same thing again. &nbsp;A third time they stretched, not twenty minutes after, and it was about that time that they realised that they had to make a decision.
<BR>
<BR>"This is longer than I had realised it would be," Charles said, leaning against the black wall. &nbsp;He rubbed his paw over the stone, no longer wondering whether it was obsidian or pearl. &nbsp;The aching in his joints occupied his thoughts. "I think we ought to take a short rest before moving on."
<BR>
<BR>Zagrosek, who had already collapsed into a sitting position, cradling the collapsed Sondeshike in his hands, nodded emphatically. "I agree, we've walked at least four or five hours, and seen not a single change in this whole place. &nbsp;For all we know, this tunnel may never end."
<BR>
<BR>Though it had been a jocular statement, neither Charles nor Garigan was apt to take it as such. "What if it doesn't?" Garigan asked, his musteline frame quite suddenly erect. "I mean, what if this is a magical passage, and this direction continues on forever? &nbsp;There are stranger things at Metamor. &nbsp;We've seen as such."
<BR>
<BR>"That room, for instance," Jerome finished the unspoken thought. &nbsp;They each dwelled on that for a moment. &nbsp;The room in which they had faced Wessex and his summoned shrieker had been constructed oddly, with every angle appearing to be a right angled corner, but finding many more of them than should be in any room. &nbsp;Things had distorted oddly about the space in the centre, and every time they touched a wall, gravity would shift with it. &nbsp;Yet, it had disappeared as soon as the vortex had closed. &nbsp;Who could say if an endless corridor did not exist?
<BR>
<BR>Charles shook his head though, slapping his paws on the floor. "Look, that's merely a speculation. &nbsp;I cannot imagine the Keep herself creating something like this, especially since we are trying to fight invaders to the Keep."
<BR>
<BR>"Are we?" Jerome asked. "We're running off to this Glen Avery to see if it is okay. &nbsp;For all we know, they could remain unmolested, and this is just the Keep's way of telling us where we are needed."
<BR>
<BR>Charles glanced at Garigan. &nbsp;This whole expedition had been undertaken at his insistence. &nbsp;Only he could lead them to turn around. &nbsp;As long as he was set on venturing to Glen Avery, Charles and the other Sondeckis were dedicated to accompanying him. &nbsp;The ferret though, appeared to take Jerome's remarks seriously, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. &nbsp;Finally, after a moment of silence, he spoke, slowly, and carefully. "If what you say is true, then our travelling to Glen Avery would have wasted our talents in the defence of Metamor. &nbsp;Maybe even give the Lutins some tactical advantage. For all we know, we could be the bird that breaks the branch, as my people say."
<BR>
<BR>He picked up one of the lanterns, and peered inside the receptacle. "We have about two thirds of the oil we started with left in this lantern. &nbsp;If, as we continue down this hall, it reaches the half-mark, then I am willing to turn around to help the Keepers. &nbsp;Would that satisfy the rest of you?"
<BR>
<BR>Charles nodded and smiled warmly to his student. Though it was just as chill in this ancient tunnel as it had been in the cellars beneath the Keep, he could feel the cold leave his body as he gazed at his student with profound respect. &nbsp;Rising to his feet, he nodded yet again. "All right, that settles it, a few hours more, and if we see nothing, we turn back. &nbsp;Let's just hope our legs an hold out that long!"
<BR>
<BR>"A-men!" both Jerome and Zagrosek chorused together. &nbsp;Garigan blinked once at the expression, but said nothing as he resumed his place in the line. &nbsp;The two Sondeckis though switched places, and so Krenek carried the lantern behind the rat, the familiar sound of his breathing filling Matthias's round ears.
<BR>
<BR>**
<BR>
<BR>The plan they agreed upon was simple. They would head to the armory, if the place was held by the lutins they would take it back. That took all of ten minutes to come up with. Preparing everyone took two hours. Misha broke up both teams into small groups, making sure there was a Long scout in every group.
<BR>
<BR>"I don't care if you could hit a fly with an arrow at a mile off," Finbar shouted. "You'll carry a sword just in case."
<BR>
<BR>"I don't need one," Bradfox countered.
<BR>
<BR>The ferret's small ears laid back against his skull and he opened his mouth to reply, but he said nothing. Instead Finbar stood for a moment and considered. When he finally spoke it was in a calm voice. "Battle is a chaotic place. There is no telling what will happen. There is no way to guarantee that a lutin won't get past us and come at you with a sword. If you don't have a way to defend yourself you'll endanger everyone else. We need to know that in the heat of battle we don't have to worry about you." The ferret held up the sword and the man, glowering at the weapon, silently took it.
<BR>
<BR>**
<BR>
<BR>December 25 - 9am
<BR>
<BR>The snow had slowed to a light powdering when the group arrived at the outer gate. Most of the wreckage had been removed but numerous bodies still littered the passage. The smell of burnt and boiled lutins filled the air. The small group on horseback took no notice of the many dead lutins littering the passage in the gatehouse.
<BR>
<BR>In a few moments the seven mounted figures moved into the courtyard beyond. There were bodies everywhere, human, lutin and keeper, all intermingled in death. The harsh smell of smoke and the putrid stink of death filled the air. A mute testimony to the ferocity of the fighting that had taken place here. The riders took no notice of any of that, their midnight black steeds trodding with heavy hooves upon the shattered bodies scattered before them.
<BR>
<BR>A tall lutin dressed in plate mail armor rushed up to the riders and flung himself on the ground in submission. "Welcome Lord Polteen. General Selig reporting. The enemy has been crushed at the outer gate and is in full flight back to the keep itself."
<BR>
<BR>The person at the head of the group of riders was tall, even for a human, standing well over six feet tall without the imposing height offered by being in the saddle. &nbsp;He was dressed in long, flowing black robes that were edged in silver and gold. Brown hair framed a hard face and steel gray eyes which showed no warmth or mercy. "Good," he said coldly. "I don't wish to annoyed by any keepers."
<BR>
<BR>"No my lord. I have a bodyguard ready to protect you," the general said pointing to a group of ogres and lutins that were off to one side. All were like the general, flat on the ground in submission.
<BR>
<BR>Polteen laughed, a cold, hard sound that frightened even the ogres. "We have no need of those stupid oafs. Just keep your people out of our way."
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"Yes my lord," Selig answered.
<BR>
<BR>Polteen slowly moved his horse forward, forcing the prostrate lutin to scramble aside lest he be strode upon by the human's massive black horse. &nbsp;Gleaming, blood red eyes glared balefully at the Lutin as the beast tossed its head. &nbsp;Selig backed away from the magically enhanced horse, head bowed as he noticed a very similar red-eyed black horse slightly behind the mage and to one side. &nbsp;Astride the nightmarish beast was a short woman also dressed in black robes. Her red hair was tied into a ponytail with a mithiril chain. Her face showed nothing but disdain as she looked down at the general.
<BR>
<BR>Behind the two wizards, were four more riders all dressed in the black and silver robes of mages. The seventh and last rider was a woman, dressed in expensive furs and wearing the gold collar of a trusted slave. She was leading two horses. The first animal was piled high with bundles and bags containing all sorts of equipment. As the last animal passed, Selig noticed that a young girl was tied to the saddle. Looking barely twelve years old she was dressed only in rags and looked close to death from the cold. The lutin saw panic and fear in the girl's eyes but he felt no pity for her. He didn't care about what happened to any Keepers. All that mattered to him was his own life and those of his soldiers. The general could not waste time and emotion on the enemy. Still, as she passed he couldn't help wondering what hideous fate awaited the captive.
<BR>
<BR>In a few moments the figures were passed him. Selig stood up and motioned for his soldiers to do the same. He turned and looked in the direction the mages had taken. The riders slowly disappeared into the swirling snow leaving the living and dead behind them.
<BR>
<BR>**
<BR>End part 30</FONT></HTML>

--part1_bd.142754ce.28d82726_boundary--