[Mkguild] FW: [TSA] Thoughts on Metamor Keep

Uri David Akavia uridavid.akavia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:11:09 CDT 2007

Exactly.
You start off with the first story, which explains the setting rather well.
Then you start reading each and every story. You skip stories about
characters you don't care about (hopefully, part of the stellar work
that the archive maintainer has been doing included removing
incomplete stories, which annoyed the heck out of me when I first read
them) and/or boring stories.
You keep reading as long as you have fun.

Viola - finished the problem of introducing the universe to readers.

Introducing the universe to writers is more of a problem, but can
happen in the same way. As AZ mentioned, we have the list. The website
should clearly mention the list address, also mentioning that the
universe controllers decision is final (so we don't get anyone
insisting on his character's ability to reverse the curse).
Apart from that, let people practice.
A lot of stories will be small, similar stories. Not bad, but small
(no overreaching consequences, which is a good thing) and similar (I'm
a newbie to the Keep, look at what the variable geometry has done for
me). BTW, these stories can be great as intro - just have a list of
intro stories, which new readers/writers can read to pick up what
characterizes this universe. I don't think it is necessary to have a
made-to-order intro story which explains everything.
For example, Hallan's story Drift references briefly the fact that
there was an attack in Winter. So people know it. If they want to find
out more, they can go read Winter Assault. I don't think that anyone
will be able to write an intro story covering everything about the
keep, including all the important threads.

Some stories are world changing, so you should just read them if you
want to know how the world changed.

Yours,

Uri David