[Mkguild] Story: Father Yule, Part 2

Shazer Fox shazerfox at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:58:09 EST 2007

Part 2
December 24, 707 CR
Sundown
 =

                Yule=92s Eve; the evening of Yule=92s Eve, even.  Every man=
, woman, and child that could miss their bedtime was either having guests o=
r being one themselves, doubtless consuming too much ale, food, and telling=
 too many tall tales.  =

                As expected, the Follower Cathedral in the Keep was deserte=
d.  Rows and rows of dark wood pews sat empty.  Candles and sconces lit the=
 cavernous worship hall in absence of the colored light that filtered throu=
gh the towering stained-glass windows during the day.  =

                Not a sound could be heard save the shuffle of two bear paw=
s on the polished stone floor.
                The third pew from the front creaked under his weight.  He =
put his elbows on the back of the pew before him, leaning heavily into his =
hands.
                Silently, he stared ahead at the altar, standing before the=
 depicted Saints, the Madonna, Yashua, and the Tree.
                Hardly bothered by his presence, they all stared silently b=
ack.
                Why was he even here?  What was he hoping to find amongst t=
he empty pews and the symbolic adornments?  =

                Healing....
                =93Good evening.=94  The small voice shattered the silence =
of the cathedral and echoed off its long walls.  =

                Startled, Nicklaus looked up.  A boy in white robes was slo=
wly approaching him from the rear of the chapel.  Nicklaus recognized him a=
s Father Hough, the priest cursed as a child.
                Father Hough pulled himself up onto pew next to the big sno=
wbear, leaning forward as well.  His eyes, young and bright, though lined w=
ith the toils of a life much longer than his boyish face belied, were fixed=
 ahead.
                Unlike Nicklaus, he seemed to not be staring mindlessly, bu=
t was deep in thought.
                Nicklaus uttered his greeting, then continued to take in th=
e many depictions in sculpture and paint.  He tried to find meaning in it a=
ll.
                Nothing came to him.
                Father Hough broke the quiet after several minutes of refle=
ction.  =93There is little in Scripture about what awaits us at death,=94 h=
e said.  There was a reverence and wisdom in his voice that no real child c=
ould have possessed.  =93Much of it concerns the lives of ancient prophets =
and the hand of Eli in battle.  Even that which is of most importance to us=
 mainly teaches the commandments by which we are to live and the death of Y=
ashua on the Tree.  We are given much reason to hope for what lies beyond, =
but it is mainly our faith in the existence of that place that moves us to =
live better.
                =93There is no passage describing the moment a soul is rele=
ased from his physical self, nothing to tell us of the warmth and the light=
 that envelops us as the pains and troubles of this world are eased, and ou=
r tears wiped away by His hand.  And, how those who have gone on before are=
 they who fret over us, left alone to struggle in this carnal state.  They =
watch over us and pray for our well-being, awaiting the day we are reunited=
 with them.=94
                =93And what about the dead rising again?  Isn=92t that in t=
here somewhere?=94
                Father Hough nodded.  Nicklaus frowned.  He hadn=92t come t=
o the cathedral for a lecture.
                =93But how can it be?  Yashua rose a mere three days after =
His death.  What of those whose bones have turned to dust?  How might they =
rise from the grave?  Are we to be torn from that heaven to regain our bodi=
es and live in this hateful hell until death strikes us down again?  What s=
ay the Scriptures on that?=94
                Nicklaus=92 voice had risen until it filled the whole of th=
e cathedral.  Anger and immense sadness and loss flecked his speech.
                Father Hough shook his head, placing a hand on the snowbear=
=92s back.  =93Do you believe you will be reunited with those you=92ve lost=
?=94
                Nicklaus was struck by the simplicity of the question and t=
he priest=92s prescience.  =93I...I have a hope, I think, but I don=92t kno=
w what to believe.=94
                =93I can tell you my belief, but it will not do you much go=
od.  You must ask Him for yourself.=94  The boy priest stood, gesturing bri=
efly to the depiction of Yashua above the altar, and started toward the exi=
t.  =93A Merry Yule to you, my son.=94
                Nicklaus was once again left alone.  =93Ask Him myself?=94 =
he muttered, brow furrowing.  He could remember no prayers=97nothing approp=
riate for the occasion, anyway.  =

                Yashua=92s hollow eyes looked lifelessly down at him.
                If what Father Hough had said was true, no prayers on his b=
ehalf from beyond had made much difference.  His charade at the orphanage t=
onight would be the one bright moment in a near-decade of alcohol and self-=
pity.
                And once the children got their gifts and fell asleep, drin=
king and wallowing would be all that remained for him.
                With a gruff, he pushed himself off the pew and quickly lef=
t the cathedral.
 =

*             *             *
 =

                Kyle Recos chuckled heartily upon seeing the big snowbear, =
his white muzzle poking out from between a floppy hat and a broad red coat.=
  His getup was completed with red wool pants and heavy black boots with br=
ass buckles.  Bells fastened to his black leather belt jingled with his eve=
ry move.
                =93My, you certainly do look the part!  The legend of Fathe=
r Yule is not oft repeated these days, but they should have no trouble reco=
gnizing you as him!=94
                Nicklaus grinned and hefted the heavy sack onto his shoulde=
r.  Toys jostled around inside.
                =93Are you ready?=94
 =

                The sound of bells was all the fifteen children needed to b=
e aroused from their sleep.  Nicklaus peaked into the doorway, seeing a doz=
en beds lining both walls of a long and otherwise sparsely-furnished room. =
 Windows on either side let in the moonlight and the flickering of big snow=
flakes falling through the calm night air.
                With all the energy he could muster, he burst into the room=
, laughing a =93ho-ho!=94 for all he was worth.  Squeals of delight and the=
 clapping of small hands greeted him.
                A broad smile broke across his face like it never had in re=
cent memory.
                He swung a lantern in after him, flooding the chilly room w=
ith a warm light.  =93Merry Yule to you all!=94 he sang.
                A chorus of replies flooded the room, and the children jump=
ed from their beds and crowded around him.  Nicklaus took a moment to look =
each child in the eyes.  Most were young, as he had remembered after their =
brief encounter on the street, but he hadn=92t realized how many were just =
past infancy.  =

                A boy and girl in the room, obviously twins, huddled togeth=
er with the others, though it seemed they hardly understood what was happen=
ing.  It was doubtful they even remembered their parents from the winter pr=
evious.
                A vice gripped tightly around his heart.
                Most of the others were around six or seven years of age, b=
ut there were a couple that could have been ten.  One boy, with striking wh=
ite hair, had to be at least twelve.
                He kneeled at the back, helping with some of the younger ch=
ildren, avoiding eye contact with Nicklaus.
                He cleared his throat.  =93Who here has been naughty this y=
ear?=94 he asked, putting much gruff and theatricality in his voice.  The c=
hildren giggled.  Some pointed at each other.  One enthusiastic young girl =
raised her hand high, a cheeky grin on her face.
                Nicklaus repeated his Father Yule laugh.
                =93Well, it seems I=92m in the wrong place!=94  He moved to=
 stand, but the younger children rushed forward and caught hold of the hem =
of his coat.  =93Oh, so now you are all saying you=92ve been good, eh?=94
                The cheer from the group nearly rattled the windows.
                =93Ah!  I must agree.  Mr. Recos says you=92ve all been ver=
y good this year.=94  All eyes were on the bright red sack, and he pulled i=
t around and opened the gold tie.  One-by-one, starting with the youngest, =
he gestured for the children to come forward.  He asked them their name, sa=
id what he could to make them giggle, and tussled their hair before selecti=
ng a toy and an item of clothing from his sack that seemed appropriate.  To=
 each he offered a big peppermint stick, which they gladly took with wide e=
yes.
                The children began to scatter around the room, playing with=
 whatever Father Yule had given them.  Many shared and inspected what other=
s had.  =

                The older boy with the white hair was last, letting the res=
t of the children go before him.  Nicklaus worried he might be too shy, but=
 he soon came forward and sat in the big snowbear=92s lap.  The boy said no=
thing, simply putting an arm around his shoulder and burying his face in hi=
s neck.
                Nicklaus held him for a moment, feeling him shudder with a =
silent sob that quickly ended.
                =93I=92m sorry,=94 the boy said, pulling away and looking s=
lightly embarrassed.  =93My father was a snowbear, and...well....=94
                =93No worries, son,=94 Nicklaus said, ruffling his white ha=
ir.  =93Did he give you this?=94 he asked with a slight laugh.
                The boy chuckled and smiled broad.  =93I was born before he=
 was cursed, but he still took credit for it!=94
                =93Did your father pass during the Yule season of last year=
?=94
                The boy nodded.
                Nicklaus sighed.  Words began to pour unbidden from his mou=
th.  =93I fought in the Battle of the Three Gates.  I was an archer on the =
wall when the attack on the Keep came.  We had a cottage just outside of th=
e city.  Nasoj=92s army came through while I was away and....=94  His voice=
 trailed off.  Now, it was the boy who was offering Nicklaus comfort.  =

                He quickly tried to change the subject, reaching into his b=
ag.  =93I brought something especially for you, since I figured a toy might=
 not be the best gift.=94  He removed a leather sheath about a foot long, f=
rom which a black and silver handle protruded.  The boy took it reluctantly=
, unsheathing what was without a doubt a very fine dagger.
                =93I...I cannot believe it!  Never in my life did I count o=
n owning something so fine.  You made this?=94
                Nicklaus shook his head.  =93A donation from a friend.  Thi=
s, however, I did make.=94  He removed a long brown coat from the bag=97the=
 final item=97and handed it over.  Momentarily forgetting about the dagger,=
 the boy held open the coat, admiring the luxurious leather and the soft wo=
ol lining.  =

                =93It=92s incredible!=94 he said, slipping into it.  The fi=
t was excellent, though the sleeves were a bit long.
                =93Made with room to grow, of course.=94  Nicklaus could no=
t help but smile, seeing the boy overwhelmed with the gifts.
                =93They are nearly too much!  How can I thank you?=94
                =93You needn=92t thank me.  It=92s my job, afterall!=94  He=
 gestured to his red outfit, and the boy snickered.  Nicklaus finally offer=
ed him a peppermint candy.  =93A Merry Yule to you.=94
                =93And to you...er...I didn=92t catch your name.=94
                =93Nor I yours!  My name is Nicklaus.=94
                =93Marlin Grey.=94  The boy held out his hand.  =93You have=
 no surname?=94
                =93Just Nicklaus, now.=94
                Marlin nodded, seeming to understand.  He made no move to l=
eave.  Together, they watched the younger children play.
                =93Will you stay with us much longer?=94 he asked.
                =93I would like to,=94 Nicklaus replied.
                =93Mind if I stay right here?=94  Marlin leaned into the bi=
g snowbear.
                =93Of course not, Marlin.=94
 =

December 28, 707 CR
 =

                A couple hours at the morning market was all Nicklaus had n=
eeded to acquire two days=92 worth of tailoring work.  Along with the cabin=
etry for the Drunk Dragon, he had a busy week ahead of him.
The work made him happy.
Sitting in his shop with the windows open to let in the cold, he had much t=
ime to ponder things while his large hands delicately worked needle and thr=
ead.
He thought on the morning Yule service in the cathedral he had attended.  I=
t was a nice service, no denying, but again, like the evening before, he fe=
lt he had come away empty-handed.  Nicklaus shook his white head.  He would=
 simply attend Mass next week and let the question of life bother him them.
What he really enjoyed was letting his mind wander back to that night in th=
e orphanage a mere four days past, when his life finally had purpose, and h=
e was contributing to the well-being of others.  The laughter and smiles of=
 the children could not leave his head, and he found the memory a better re=
medy to his depression than alcohol.  =

At the Dragon last night he had consumed something called cocoa, having los=
t all desire for ale.  =

Marlin Grey still tugged at his heart, however.  He felt great sorrow for t=
he lad, that was for sure.  While the younger children possibly could not f=
ully understand the loss of parents, and most likely looked to Kyle Recos a=
s their collective father, and to each other as siblings, the pain for Marl=
in Grey was very real and very present.
He struck Nicklaus as an incredibly intelligent boy: well-spoken and sharp-=
mannered.  Who had his father and mother been, he wondered?  No doubt, peop=
le of status and education, he thought.  Talent such as that within Marlin =
would be wasted festering in a cold orphanage.  Perhaps, soon, he could str=
ike out on his own.
A moment later, Nicklaus shook his head at the idea.  Becoming a waif on th=
e street was no life for him.
He found himself putting down his work.  Could he, truly?  Was it the best =
thing for them both?
It was best for the boy, and that=92s all that mattered to Nicklaus.
Trying not to think about it (lest he change his mind), Nicklaus grabbed hi=
s coat and, in a flash, headed for the door.  =

The chance to do good for others did not come merely once a year.
He swung it open to the morning sun and the winter snow, nearly running ove=
r Kyle Recos.
=93Mr. Recos!=94 Nicklaus stammered, trying to halt his rushed step.  He ha=
d been so caught up in the singular act of getting out of his shop that the=
 sudden appearance of the elderly headmaster caused his heart to leap up in=
to his throat.
=93I hadn=92t even knocked!=94 Recos exclaimed, smiling up at the snowbear.=
  An awkward moment passed as they both recovered from the surprise.
=93Er, would you please come in?=94  Nicklaus hopped out of the way, and Re=
cos entered.  He chose to lean on his cane rather than take the seat Nickla=
us offered him.
=93I just wanted to come by and thank you again for what you did,=94 Recos =
said, his eyes taking in the expansive and cluttered shop.  =93You really d=
id an extraordinary thing for those kids.=94
=93I wish I could have done more.=94
=93Aye.  I try, but it=92s hard to be what every child needs.  Some...strug=
gle.=94
=93Mr. Recos, I hope you didn=92t come all the way down here just to thank =
me.=94  Nicklaus tried offering bread and tea, but the speckle-haired man r=
efused.
=93Actually, there=92s something else.  The eldest boy, Marlin, keeps askin=
g about you.  I think you really made an impression on him.=94
=93Likewise,=94 Nicklaus stated.
=93He has not adjusted well to the orphanage, I=92m afraid.  Not that most =
children live =93well=94 in an orphanage,=94 he stammered quickly.  =93But,=
 he=92s had a much harder time than most.  I think it=92s difficult for a b=
oy his age.=94
=93I can imagine.  In fact, I was on my way to see you just now.=94
=93Oh?=94
Nicklaus took in a deep breath.  There was no hesitation in his voice.  =93=
I wished to inquire on an adoption.=94
Kyle Recos laughed, putting his arms around the snowbear in a big hug.  =93=
Legends wax and wane, my friend, depending on who=92s telling the tale and =
the events of life that plague and bless us.   But you have brought somethi=
ng to life for those children this year, and I=92ve never seen them happier=
.=94
Nicklaus could only nod.
=93And, I can tell you this with a surety, that you=92ve granted one boy=92=
s greatest Yule wish.=94
The best games are on Xbox 360.  Click here for a special offer on an Xbox =
360 Console.