[Mkguild] Story: Father Yule, Part 1

Shazer Fox shazerfox at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:56:16 EST 2007

A Merry Yule to you all!
 =

I really had a great time working on this story.  In fact, where I had orig=
inally intended for this and the characters within to be a one-time deal, t=
here's no way I can leave it alone now.  :o)
I hope you all enjoy it and have a great Christmas season!
 =

(and let me know if the Hotmail formatting is making it hard to read for an=
ybody)
 =

Father Yule
 =

Part 1
December 15, 707 CR
 =

                It=92s been a hard year....
=93It=92s been an eventful year, I suppose.  Lots of reconstruction=97const=
ruction=97going on at the Keep.  I=92ve been busy.  I never thought those o=
ld masonry lessons Dad taught me would ever come in handy, but....
=93Many folks about, working and caring for others.  I=92ve seen many acts =
of kindness this year that inspire my faith in mankind once more.  Now that=
 winter=92s come, folks are pretty much settling in for the season.  There=
=92s still a lot of work to be done, but we=92re comfortable and prepared, =
just like always.
                =93You always liked the snow.  The mountains are beautiful =
today=97sun glintin=92 off them like diamonds, or some such.  Was never goo=
d at describing things, but you know how it is.
                =93Metamor valley is gorgeous when it=92s blanketed in whit=
e.=94
                Ugly when in red....
                =93Colors disappear and a peace sort of settles over the pl=
ace.  Things are quiet.  A body can really do some good thinking on a day l=
ike this.=94
                My God, how it hurts.
                =93My little Annie!  Is your mother keeping you out of trou=
ble?  Have you met the baby yet?  I always wondered what it would be, a boy=
 or another girl.  I=92d always hoped for a little brother for you.  I=92ll=
 bet he=92s a terror, as well!  I=92m sure Mom has her hands full watching =
over you two.  =

=93Eight years have gone by...my, how you=92ve grown!  Did Mom talk you int=
o growing your hair long?  You had her curls, you know, and they looked gre=
at.  I=92m sure by now the boys your age would be noticing, and I=92d have =
to fight them off!=94
The wind picked up, blowing across the open meadow and whipping up the dry =
snow.  Dark clouds loomed just behind the mountains.
=93It=92s getting cold.  Don=92t worry, it doesn=92t really bother me like =
it used to.=94  He shuffled his feet in the loose powder.  =93I suppose you=
 all don=92t feel it much, either.=94
A tear caught the late-evening sunlight, glittering as it fell before disap=
pearing into the powdery snow.
Holly boughs were laid along both headstones.  With the wind blowing like i=
t was now, they would be buried by morning.
He knelt and kissed each stone, cold as the death they represented.  =

 =

*             *             *
 =

The soup was warm, though the taste of it was nothing in his mouth.  He add=
ed a few good shakes of salt, but to no avail.  =

The soup was not the problem.
He finished off his third ale; his bladder crying for attention.  Paying it=
 no mind, he raised his hand to the Innkeep for another.
=93Nicklaus,=94 the Innkeep, Rupert,  said in a motherly tone when he reach=
ed his table.  =93You=92ll be lucky to stagger home after the three you=92v=
e had.  You never could hold much drink.=94
Nicklaus smiled up to the big man; the lamplight shining in his mop of curl=
y blonde hair hurt his eyes.  Rupert laughed a deep belly laugh, slapping a=
 heavy hand down on the back of the snowbear.    =93Did I ever tell you, Ni=
cklaus, that you remind me much of my husband?=94
=93A few times, yes.=94
Rupert smiled and slid into the booth across from the white-furred Nicklaus=
.  =93He loved to drink, but could never hold his own...even against us lad=
ies!=94  Rupert got a faraway look in his dark eyes.  =93Gods, I miss him. =
 Eight years since, you know?  Me and you both got a might more hairy durin=
g that time.=94
=93You more than me, I must say!=94  Nicklaus countered.
=93Yeah.  I start thinking about him around this time of year for some reas=
on.  Wonder what things would be like now if he hadn=92t...if things hadn=
=92t turned out the way they did.=94
=93I know what you mean.=94
=93I suppose my becomin=92 a man with the Curse would have made our marriag=
e a bit awkward, but who=92s to say he wouldn=92t =91ave turned female, and=
 things would be alright?=94  =

Nicklaus said nothing.  He spun his now-empty soup bowl around on the table=
 top.
=93You visited their graves today,=94 Rupert observed.
=93Aye.  Same as last year.  Can=92t bring myself to be there more than onc=
e a year, you know.  It=92s like you said=97this season comes and my mind s=
tarts dwellin=92 on the past, remembering my life before...well, before all=
 this happened.=94  He held up his hands, covered in the white fur and blac=
k paw pads of the snowbears from the north.  =

=93So, what plans do you have for the Yule season?=94 Rupert asked after a =
spell of silence had passed.
Nicklaus shrugged his broad shoulders, staring into the depths of his dry m=
ug.  =93Same as always, I suppose.  Sit here with you and Quinn and ponder =
the mysteries of life.=94
=93At least for the first ten minutes until you=92re embarrassingly drunk?=
=94  Rupert smiled broad, eventually coaxing a grin from the snowbear, expo=
sing his teeth along one side of his muzzle.
=93Yeah.  That=92s my favorite part,=94 Nicklaus replied.  He frowned as hi=
s bladder suddenly came to mind.  =93I=92d better head home.  Gettin=92 lat=
e.=94
=93Right.  Are you coming tomorrow to fix those cabinets?=94
=93Yes, I know it=92s been awhile since I promised you that.=94
=93That=92s payment for your long tab, you know.=94  Rupert playfully hit h=
is shoulder as they both stood.  =93Don=92t worry about it.  I know you=92v=
e been busy with the reconstruction.  Probably not getting paid for it, eit=
her.=94
The big snowbear shook his head.  =93I=92ll come tomorrow.=94  He held his =
head in one hand and waited for the room to stop spinning.  =93Just don=92t=
 expect me early in the morning.=94
 =

 =

Light spilled from the Drunk Dragon as Nicklaus opened the door and stagger=
ed out into the street.  The sun had long set and a light snow was falling.=
  The world was silent and still, as if the fresh dusting of snow had quiet=
ed all life on the streets of Metamor.
The whispers of conversation leeching from the lively tavern faded behind.
Through his labored walking and the fog in his head, he was vaguely aware o=
f a burning pain low in his gut.  A sudden rush of warmth through his fur f=
inally caught his attention.
Nicklaus grunted, staggering over to a narrow alleyway and reaching into hi=
s trousers before he=92d even left the street.  He used one hand to steady =
himself as he leaned forward against a cold stone wall, sighing greatly and=
 letting his eyes close.  =

He liked to believe the ale could wash through him and carry all his troubl=
es with it as it poured into the dark ally, but it was not really so.   It =
never was.  Why he kept trying, he did not know.  =

Maybe next time.
Sometime later, he heard the door to his house slam shut behind him.  Nickl=
aus tossed his thin jacket and trousers into the corner of the room=97it wa=
s all he ever wore, even in the worst of weather=97and flopped onto his bed.
Beautiful and lively dreams=97memories, really=97flowed through his sleepin=
g mind.  Agony gripped his heart as he awoke once again to reality.
He didn=92t bother brushing through his fur or making breakfast.  Finding a=
 clean pair of trousers and grabbing his coat and carpentry toolbox, he hea=
ded out the door.
 =

*             *             *
 =

The pile of charred cabinet doors and shelving grew larger as noon approach=
ed.  The short-lived fire that had swept through the Drunk Dragon during th=
e winter assault had left its mark on the kitchen.  Before today, only the =
most heavily damaged items had been repaired or replaced.  =

Some of the pieces could be planed and reused, but most needed replacement.=
  Nicklaus could soon see that he had a lot of work ahead of him.
=93How does it look?=94 Rupert asked, appearing around the corner.  He carr=
ied a plate with a loaf of bread and slice of ham.
Nicklaus=92 nose twitched at the smell of the fresh bread and salted ham.  =
=93You read my mind, Rupert.=94  He accepted the meal and tore into the bre=
ad.  =93There=92s nothing too terrible.  Got quite a few pieces need replac=
ing, though.=94
=93I figured as much.=94  The Innkeep sat his heavy girth on a barstool, wa=
tching as Nicklaus switched between eating and pulling nails from hinges.  =
=93How=92d you sleep last night?=94
Nicklaus shrugged, not looking at him.  =93Decent, I =91spose.  It=92s the =
waking up that=92s hard.=94
=93Aye.  Well, after the assault dredged up all those terrible memories of =
The Three Gates....=94
=93That it did.=94
=93Maybe now that the dust is settling, you can put it out of your mind.  I=
=92m sure many folks are struggling like you.=94
=93So, I=92m struggling, am I?=94
Rupert folded his hairy arms across his chest, saying nothing.
=93Aye, I=92m strugglin=92,=94  Nicklaus admitted.  =93And, I know what you=
=92re going to say.  I should move on, maybe try to find someone else.  Pic=
k up tailorin=92 again and forget this carpentry rebuilding-after-the-assau=
lt stuff.  Take a holiday, clear my head.=94
Rupert said nothing, only smiling at his bearish friend.  =

Nicklaus sighed.  =93I should do all those things, but it=92ll never change=
 what happened, nor what it did to me.=94
=93Many have gone through the same thing, Nick.  I can=92t name a person wh=
o hasn=92t lost a loved one recently.=94
=93Yeah?  Well, I=92m still broken up about.  There are few who have lost a=
ll their loved ones.  You still have family near, at least.=94
Rupert hung his head, thick fingers fidgeting in his lap.
Nicklaus sighed heavily, rising to his feet.  =93I=92m sorry, I didn=92t me=
an....=94  His round ears folded flat in shame.
=93I know.  It=92s alright.=94  Rupert held up a hand, then rested it on th=
e snowbear=92s shoulder.  =93But, seriously, at least get back into what yo=
u enjoy.  The rebuilding has gone on for quite enough.  Get some coats made=
.  I know how you love doing that.=94
=93If I still even remember how to handle a needle and thread!=94
=93Sure you do.  You have many good skills, but tailoring is definitely you=
r finest...and most lucrative.=94
=93Aye.=94  =

It would be nice to do something different for a change.
Rupert helped Nicklaus load the burned cabinet pieces into a wheelbarrow th=
at was waiting out the back door.  =93Don=92t worry too much about these.  =
I don=92t really need them soon.=94
=93Thank you, Rupert...for the advice.  I won=92t be long with these, anywa=
y.=94
 =

*             *             *
 =

The piled wood nearly spilled out of the shallow barrow as Nicklaus dug his=
 feet into the snow to stop.  A young girl had darted around a corner in fr=
ont of him, and he narrowly missed walking straight into her.  Oblivious, s=
he continued her skipping run, twirling with her arms outstretched, dress a=
nd coattails spinning while her curly hair caught the low winter sun.
She seemed untouched by all that was wrong with the world.
Nicklaus was frozen in his tracks, watching the girl, probably no older tha=
n five, skipping and dancing in the snow.  Her voice, clear as a bell, sang=
 a familiar Yule song.
=93Annie?  My little Annie?=94 he whispered to himself.  He wanted to run t=
o her, scoop her up in his arms, and ask where she had been this whole time=
!  He wanted to touch her hair and hear her voice ask his name, and he imag=
ined himself explaining to her about the Curse and why he looked like a whi=
te bear....
=93Kaylee!=94 a shout came from the side-street from whence the little girl=
 had come.  A tall man, though hunched with age over a cane, soon followed,=
 dressed in heavy boots, wool coat, and top hat, stepping as quickly as pos=
sible to fetch her.  The girl continued her carefree dance and song until t=
he man took her by the hand, leading her out of the street=92s center.
Of course it=92s not her, you fool!
The man stopped, catching sight of the frozen snowbear and his wheelbarrow.=
  Nicklaus figured the look of shock on his face must have grabbed the man=
=92s attention.
=93Hello, there!=94 the man said, coming toward him with the girl still in =
tow.  =93I=92m sorry she startled you so.=94
=93Oh, it=92s nothing.  I suppose if I had been paying better attention I w=
ould have heard her coming.=94
=93It amazes me you couldn=92t hear her from afar!=94  The man, his peppere=
d beard specked with snowflakes, chuckled heartily.  He had a bit of an acc=
ent to his speech, though Nicklaus could not place it.
The snowbear shrugged.  =93Lovely child.  She reminds me....=94  He stopped=
, shaking his head and hoping the man would just move on.
The man seemed to understand immediately, and a look of pity crossed his fa=
ce.  =

Behind him, suddenly, came a whole group of children, at least a dozen in n=
umber and of all various ages.  They crowded around him, and a couple of th=
e older ones introduced themselves to Nicklaus.
=93Are these all yours?=94 Nicklaus asked, astounded.  The man smiled.
=93They are!  Though not in the way you might imagine.  I=92m headmaster of=
 one of=97sadly=97Metamor=92s orphanages.  Kyle Recos is my name.=94  He he=
ld out a rather skinny hand that all but disappeared in the bear=92s own.
Nicklaus looked over the crowd of children.  There were a few even younger =
than Kaylee.  =93Such a shame,=94 he whispered.
=93Aye.  =91Tis most difficult during the Yule season.  I try to provide gi=
fts for the children when I can, but this year has been especially tough.=
=94  He leaned in close to Nicklaus so the children would not hear.  =93Ple=
ase, help spread the word.  If you know of someone that=92s able....=94
=93I...I=92ll do what I can,=94 Nicklaus replied, watching as little Kaylee=
 grew impatient and began to tug on Kyle Reco=92s hand.
Kyle smiled, patting the snowbear=92s broad back.  =93A merry Yule to you! =
 Come, children!  We still have the confectioner to visit!=94
A chorus of cheers erupted from the group and, as one, they scampered acros=
s the street after their headmaster.
Nicklaus watched them go until the sound of their excited chatter could har=
dly be heard.
 =

As soon as he got home, he grabbed a quill and paper and scribbled a few nu=
mbers.  Beneath each number he drew a line.  Tall lines indicated older chi=
ldren, and short lines indicated young children.  He drew a triangle over s=
ome of the lines to represent girls.
Though his tailoring had well taught him the use of numbers and measurement=
s, drawings would have to compensate for his illiteracy.  =

He checked it over, comparing it to his memory of the group of orphans he h=
ad encountered on the street.  Nicklaus hoped he had accounted for every ch=
ild he had seen.
Circling around his cluttered shop, he gathered carving tools, wood blocks,=
 fabrics, threads, needles, and buttons.  He cleared a table and began draw=
ing out plans and patterns to match the list he had made.
A fire had caught hold inside him, lit by some invisible hand for reasons h=
e could not imagine.  Nicklaus found himself beginning work without even wo=
ndering why he was doing so.
The wheelbarrow of cabinet doors from the Drunk Dragon sat completely forgo=
tten near the door.
 =

December 20, 707 CR
 =

                =93You know, when one of your regular alcoholics doesn=92t =
show up to your tavern for four straight days, you might fear him dead!=94
                A heavy laughter came from somewhere in the dimly-lit, mess=
y shop.  =93So, despite the advice to lay off it a bit, when I finally do, =
you miss my money?=94
                Rupert wove his way carefully through the cluttered tables,=
 wood piles, racks of fabric, and various odds and ends before he found the=
 snowbear, crouched on the floor searching through a bin of wood and glass =
buttons of all sizes and colors.  Rupert tussled the tuft of hair between N=
icklaus=92 ears, suddenly noticing the beginnings of several toys on the ta=
ble in front of him.
                =93What have you got yourself into, now?=94  There were fif=
teen pieces in all, puppets, boats, dolls, and carvings of fanciful animals=
.  =93Wow, these are really good!=94  Nicklaus grunted something underneath=
, still searching through the bin.  Rupert turned to another table behind h=
im, seeing several cuts of colored fabrics.  Some were obviously children=
=92s trousers, while the rest could possibly be dresses.  =93Did you get a =
special order for someone?=94 he asked.
                Nicklaus rose to his feet, holding several brightly-colored=
 buttons.  =93More of a request, actually.  Could you hand me that needle a=
nd thread?=94 =

                Rupert turned back to the other table, retrieving a short s=
ewing needle trailing a black thread.  =93Toys and clothes for children, eh=
?  Sounds like something fun to do.=94  Nicklaus merely nodded, quickly sew=
ing the buttons onto each puppet=92s miniature clothing.  =

                On a shelf to the right, Rupert noticed a few pans with pai=
nts and glues already mixed up and ready to use.  =93You=92re really gettin=
g into this, aren=92t you?  It has been a fair while since I saw you this a=
bsorbed into a project.=94
                =93It=92s for an orphanage.  I met the headmaster on the st=
reet last week.=94
                =93Ah!=94
                =93Figured a child losing a parent is worse than a parent l=
osing a child, so I thought I=92d start thinking of someone besides myself =
for a change.  I ain=92t the only one lonely this time of year.=94
                =93Sadly, no.=94  Rupert paused, watching the snowbear plac=
e the buttons.  =93I=92ve still got a couple hours before I need to open th=
e Dragon, do you want any help?=94
                =93Uh...sure.  I=92ve more wooden puppets started that need=
 sanding.=94
                =93Sounds like something I can handle.=94  =

 =

                In the end, Rupert did much more than sanding.  Over the ne=
xt three mornings he helped Nicklaus paint, sew, and even purchased a baske=
tful of peppermints from the confectioner down the street from the Dragon.  =

                Even when everything was finished, Nicklaus did not stop.  =
He took the little dresses and embroidered flowers along the hems or snowfl=
akes on the blouse.  On the puppets he painted finer details: lashes, hair =
strands, sparkles in the eyes.  To everything he added a special touch, som=
ething that elevated the gift above what would normally be had.
                By eleven o=92clock Saturday, the twenty-third of December,=
 more than a dozen colorful toys and twice as many coats, trousers, dresses=
, and hats sat completed in Nicklaus=92 shop.  The big snowbear found a cha=
ir and leaned back to get a nap in while his friend went to prepare lunch a=
t the Dragon.  =

                Any sleep beyond an hour=92s worth eluded him, however, and=
 he found himself rooting through a pile of old fabrics, searching for some=
thing red.
                There was an old legend his grandfather used to tell him as=
 a child, that he had recounted to his daughter, Annie, every Yule=92s Eve =
until her passing.  It was a legend of joy, giving, and charity told to chi=
ldren all across the Midlands.
Doubtless, the children in the orphanage would be hoping for a visit from F=
ather Yule.
 =

http://www.windowslive.com?ocid=3DTXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_122007