[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLVI

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Jul 29 06:02:43 CDT 2007

Okay, finally finished the next chapter!  Now I
can start looking at all the various threads on
Metamor Keep that have been started and offer my 2 cents!

Chapter XLVII

Summoning the Pillars

         She felt the moment the wards upon the
mysterious Åelf were broken.  It shook her like
an earthquake, violent and impersonal.  After
falling to the floor and enduring the stares of
the Marquis’s idiotic playthings, she announced she was retiring for the night.
         “But what of our plans?” Schanalein
asked contemptuously. “The Marquis was explicit
in his promise that you would stay and aid us in war.”
         Agathe was used to men thinking they
could give her orders. “Your men will not be
marching to Silvassa on the morrow.  They will
need a few day’s rest before they can leave.  There is plenty of time to plan.”
         Bishop Hockmann nodded and pushed his
spectacles up with one finger. “Agathe is right,
your grace.  I see neither any reason why she
cannot retire, nor any necessity for haste in
drawing our plans.” He offered the detached smile
of a scholar to a servant and added, “Take your
rest, Agathe.  There is much work still ahead of us.”
         Seething at the pompous bishop’s
pretension, Agathe stiffly marched from the
Duke’s study.  As she closed the door behind, she
heard Schanalein mutter, “It’s just as well.  War
is the province of men.  I don’t like relying on women for anything.”
         The two guards standing outside the
Duke’s chambers heard as well; one of them
snickered.  Agathe spun on her heels and fixed
his gaze with her single eye.  The humour died,
and his face bled of colour.  He feebly gripped
his halberd, as if that could protect him from the Runecaster’s wrath.
         He was not worth even an insult.  Agathe
left the hall with imperious stride.  She had
long ago come to the conclusion that men were for
the most part useless blowhards, more concerned
with their own aggrandizement than they were with
achieving the noble goals they loudly
proclaimed.  She would not trust a man for any
duty save mindless slaughter, as men were very
nearly beasts themselves and thus suited to the
tasks of beasts.  Even the Marquis, were it not
for his cards, would have been a tower of
crumbling rock – perhaps once fair to look upon, but now ready to topple.
         But he did have the cards, and so Agathe could do nothing against him.
         And then there was Zagrosek, the one man
that she felt even a passing degree of compassion
for.  He thought himself chivalrous by trying to
shield her from the Marquis’s machinations, but
he too was only a fool.  A fool she wished well, but still a fool.
         Night had already fallen when she left
the main part of the castle and crossed the
bridge to the Tower of Theodoric; he’d been the
last pagan ruler of Breckaris and had leapt to
his death in a fit of madness from the tower’s
high windows.  It had remained little used in the
centuries of Ecclesiast rulers, but Schanalein
had been quite content to offer it to the Marquis and his servants.
         Agathe paused on the bridge and stared
into the sky.  It was a clear night, and the
stars shone brightly.  They moved but slowly,
inexorably, returning to the very places they
once knew.  But tonight was not yet the night
when the Marquis’s plan would come to
fruition.  And then it became clear to her.  For
the first time, Agathe finally understood the
outlines of that plan and her place in it: he
meant for her to die at the hands of the
Keepers.  It was why she’d been sent to harass
them in the mountains, why she had to goal them,
why they were allowed to live at all, and why her
one avenue of escape now lay in the Tower of Theodoric.
         Turning to the squat white-washed tower
whose base was suffused with ivy, Agathe stilled
the rage in her heart.  She did have a way to
escape, even from the Marquis.  She knew a magic
through which he had no influence.  The Tower of
Theodoric tapped into and drew up into its high
room the flow of magic passing through
Breckaris.  It was why Theodoric had succumbed to
madness, and why it had remained unused
since.  Now she would turn it to her ends.
         But this spell could only be consummated
at midnight.  The Keepers would come for her, and
she had to keep them at bay long enough to
succeed.  Her fingers drew sigils upon the
bridge, the tower door, and along the stairs
leading up.  Most were simple and would delay the
Keepers only a minute or two.  But enough of
these and she would have the time she needed.
         The upper chamber was circular with
windows on three sides to follow the sun.  Agathe
drew sigils to block all light through the
windows, then drew a warding spell upon the door
in the northern wall.  This one would was more
powerful than the others, and would keep them
occupied for a much longer time; she hoped it would hold past midnight.
         Satisfied with her precautions, Agathe
produced several pieces of coloured chalk and a
timepiece.  Along with these was her prized
possession, a black onyx scroll-case that no man
could open.  She pressed her fingers in a
delicate order, twisting and moving the case like
a puzzle box.  A soft glow enveloped the onyx,
and it slid free from her hands.  Agathe let it
rise until it was at head height, when she
stretched out all ten of her fingers and touched
the case with each of them.  A dull clicking sounded.
         Agathe twisted the case, and slowly
pulled it apart.  The case grew to twice its
length before another clicking sounded and a
tightly wound piece of old parchment was
revealed.  Agathe took the parchment and set the
scroll-case aside.  The spell described on the
parchment was ancient and very complicated.  The
first time she’d made this this casting she’d
needed to sleep for half a day afterwards to
recover.  It would be no less dangerous this time.
         Finally, Agathe set the parchment aside
and began to draw.  She used the white chalk
first, drawing a perfect equilateral
triangle.  Singing under her breath, she traced
the triangle with the green chalk, and watched as
a faint light began to shine from the
lines.  This was just the first of many
steps.  In three hours when she was finished, she
would once again summon the Pillars of Ahdyojiak!

----------

         Charles and Kurt stood side by side,
peering out along the broad tiled courtyard that
separated the barracks from the castle.  Night
had fallen, which provided them some cover, but
torches were lit from every battlement, and
streetlamps dotted the gardens to the
right.  Patrols marched between the barracks and
the castle, but the rat was pleased to note that
they carried torches too, blinding them to all
but the other torches.  If they were careful, the
guards could stare straight at them and never see them.
         Kurt leaned down and whispered into the
rat’s ear, “Do you see the cathedral?  Off to the
left?” It was strange speaking into what looked
like solid stone, but Charles nodded.  He then
turned his snout up to whisper into Kurt’s ear.
         “Is there a way into the castle from there?”
         “Aye.  An old underground passage.  It
allows the duke to reach the cathedral without being seen.”
         “Won’t it be guarded?”
         “It might, but not likely. The castle
side starts from the secret passages.”
         The rat nodded thoughtfully at that and
then gestured at the cathedral.  It was warmly
lit, but still a thing of shadow. “What of the
bishop?  Won’t he have his own guards?”
         “At this hour,” Kurt replied, gesturing
to a dark tower on one end of the cathedral,
“Bishop Hockmann would have finished Vespers and
normally would be in his quarters
reading.  There’s no light there, so he must be in the castle.”
         The rat took another moment to study the
grounds between them and the cathedral.  After a
minute he turned away from the door and gestured
for Kurt to follow him back down.  Kurt guided
the heavy door almost shut, and followed him back
down the stairs.  They carefully tiptoed down the
hallway until they were safely behind the main
gaol doors, and under the protection of Jessica’s silence spell.
         The others were there waiting for them,
some not so patiently.  Jessica was stalking back
and forth, wings folded behind her, with a
predatory glare in her eyes. “Well?” She asked
after they returned. “Can we go now?”
         “Aye,” Charles replied, glancing over
his friends studiously, until his eyes came to
the Nauh-kaee.  He grimaced. “I’m afraid you
aren’t going to fit up the staircase,
Guernef.  You’ll have to stay here until we can think of a way to get you out.”
         Abafouq offered him a lop-sided grin,
“You be surprised at how small a place Guernef can fit.”
         “The guard changes at midnight,” Kayla
added. “If they come and find Guernef while all
the soldiers are locked up and we’re gone, what do you imagine they’ll do?”
         “True.  All right, we’ll get you out
somehow.” Charles gestured back out the door.
“But we can see the way out, and I think, if
we’re careful, we can cross the courtyard without
being seen.  Kurt says there is a way into the
castle beneath the cathedral, and it does sound like our best hope.”
         “We must hurry,” Qan-af-årael intoned,
his voice faint as if shouted from a great
distance. “A spell of great power is being
cast.  We must reach them before it is finished.”
         “Agathe?” Jessica snapped.
         “Most likely,” Kayla replied.   The
skunk spread her paws wide. “I cannot think of
who else might be casting anything.”
         The hawk pointed towards the door with
one wing. “Well, shall we go?  We cannot stop her here.”
         Kurt and Tugal led the way, with Charles
close behind.  Guernef waited at the rear while
the others filed through the small serving door
and up the stairs to the courtyard.  The
Nauh-kaee expelled all his breath, folded his
wings tight against his back, and squeezed
through the door, his body surprisingly
malleable.  His flesh scraped the walls, and a
few feathers came free, but he did make it through.
         Kurt kept them flat against the wall
until they were all outside.  Once under the
starry sky, they moved into the courtyard proper,
carefully staying in the large patches of
shadow.  The moon was brighter than they would
have liked, but the rat’s hope about the guards
being blinded by their torches proved
true.  Still, they felt small and vulnerable as
they crossed the wide expanse between the
barracks and the cathedral.  To their right, the
shadowy castle loomed oppressively above
them.  Many of the upper windows were dark, and
any moment they expected to hear shouts of alarm.
         But they neared the massive cathedral
without alerting any of the guards.  Kurt led
them between the two buildings to a small wooden
door set between two flying
buttresses.  Gingerly, he opened it, but all he
saw inside was darkness.  The moon was hidden
behind the cathedral now, and there was almost no
light at all for them to see by.  Kurt let the
animal morph keepers, whose eye sight was better,
enter first.  Kayla summoned a witch light, but
kept it very low, almost to the point of
flickering out of existence.  But it was enough to help them find their way.
         Guernef had little difficulty in passing
through this door either, and with a flick of his
tail, brought it shut behind him more quietly
than even Abafouq would have thought
possible.  The room they had crammed themselves
into was stacked with candles, incense, and
several cleaning supplies. “To get to the tunnel,
we have to pass through the sanctuary,” Kurt
informed them. “It should be mostly empty at this hour.”
         And so it was.  They emerged through a
side door into a cathedral even larger than the
one at Metamor.  A column of pillars and pews
shielded them from the view of the parishioners
kneeling in prayer in the main aisles.  Torches
lit the finely crafted interior, but the stained
glass windows were dark and offered no
details.  Statuary lined the outer wall, as well
as several votive stations for prayer.
         Kurt led them along the outer wall
towards the altar.  Just where the columns ended
was a larger door. The Keepers kept low and quiet
so as not to disturb those praying, and to their
delight not a one of them looked up.  When they
reached the door, Kurt, Tugal, Charles, Lindsey,
Habakkuk, James, and both Åelf knelt towards the
altar, most making the sign of the yew, before heading through the door.
         Once it was closed behind them, Jessica
said, “I did not think there were any Patildor
among your kind.”  Neither Andares nor
Qan-af-årael said anything, but the younger smiled enigmatically.
         “The tunnel will be down here,” Kurt
whispered.  They followed him to a door which
opened to reveal a descending staircase.  The
walls were made of the same masonry they’d seen
everywhere else in the courtyard, a fact that
made the stone rat grimace.  He’d hoped there
would be some real stone along the way he could
feel through, but that would have to wait it seemed.
         The tunnel led straight beneath the
courtyard.  There were no sconces along either
side, so anyone using it would need their own
torch; the witchlight Kayla had summoned was
enough to guide their steps.  When they reached
the tunnel’s end a minute later, it opened into a
dark and musty staircase.  Wood timbers mixed
with the castle’s stone to form a very cramped passage.
         “We’ll need to be especially quiet now,”
Kurt said in a firm whisper. “Some of the walls
are very thin.” He glanced at the Nauh-kaee, who
appeared to have sucked his sides in a good six
inches. “And some of the passages are very
tight.  Are you sure you can make it?” The
Nauh-kaee gave him a firm stare, at which the
young man swallowed, nodded dumbly and began climbing the stairs.
         The Keepers followed him silently.  The
stairs turned back and forth three times before
coming to a landing and a passage that headed in
either direction.  Kurt took the left fork,
slowing his pace as he went.  After perhaps
fifteen seconds he waved them to a stop, and
pressed his face against part of the wall.  He
stood there for several seconds before turning
and shaking his head. “He’s not in his bedroom.”
         “The throne room?” James suggested.
         “Not so late.  His study perhaps.  This
way.” He continued down the passage, following
its twists and turns.  The Keepers followed him
without speaking, each of them waiting, anxious
to face their gaoler again.  Agathe had chased
them in the mountains and nearly killed them many
times.  How could they hope to face her?  And
what was this terrible spell Qan-af-årael had
sensed?  These questions flitted through their
minds as the confining passage reached another staircase.
         Up another level, and a short walk
brought them to their next location.  Kurt waved
them to silence, and they heard a soft murmuring
of voices.  Kurt crept up to the eye hole,
already recognizing his father’s voice.  Peering
inside, he saw both his father and Bishop
Hockmann sitting around a table.  Notably, his
father sat facing both the main door to his
study, and the entrance to the secret
passage.  They would have no chance of surprise, unless...
         He stepped back from the eye hole and
nodded to them.  The Keepers tensed, but all of
them ready for a fight.  He leaned over the rat’s
ear and whispered. “I can only see my father and
the bishop.  I will go in first, and attempt to
draw their eye away from the passage.  Give me
ten seconds at least before following me in.”
         The rat nodded and motioned for the
others to wait.  Tugal grimaced, hands resting on
her knives, but said nothing.  Kurt took a deep
breath, walked a few more paces down the hall,
and then pushed open the secret door.  The Duke’s
study was warmly lit, but not so bright as to
blind him as he came through.  He blinked once, and said, “Hello, Father.”
         Duke Schanalein rose to his feet,
imperious and angry. “Kurt!  I told you you were
never to use the secret passages again!  What are
you doing here?  Get back to your barracks.  You don’t belong here anymore!”
         Kurt turned and shook his head, stepping
around the room, drawing both his father and the
bishop’s attention away from the secret door.  He
crossed to the mantle and began to run his
fingers over the ornate clock that sat astride
it. “I wish that I could, Father, but the news
I’ve been hearing is far too disturbing.  I
needed to see you and find out if it were true.”
         “There is nothing for you to ask of
me!  And besides, we all know you’ve been spying
on me for nearly a month!  Because you are my
son, you will not be executed, but know that once
I have another heir, you can no longer expect any such leniency!”
         Kurt couldn’t believe the words coming
from his father’s mouth.  It was just the
Marquis’s spell, he reminded himself.  This
wasn’t really his father speaking!  Kurt turned
on him with gritted teeth, “I will free you!” At
that, the Keepers entered.  Charles ran to the
main door, shifting in mid-stride to the massive
four-legged form and pressing his entire body
against the door.  The others grabbed the two men
and restrained them, wrapping bits of cloth over
their mouths to keep them from screaming.  It all
happened so quickly, that the duke had only been
able to snarl angrily.  This stopped when Tugal
brandished her knives, though she did not
threaten either of them with them; at least not yet.
         Jessica jumped onto Charles’s back and
spread her wings, pressing her feathers against
the door.  A blue sigil glowed for a brief
moment, then disappeared into the decorative
oak.  The hawk turned and squawked, “No one
outside this room will hear us now.  Remove their
gags.  It is not them whom we want.”
         Though James and Habakkuk too the cloth
from their faces, Jerome and Lindsey kept their
hands pinned behind their backs.  Duke Schanalein
wasted no time in shouting, “Guards!  Guards!”
For that, Jerome shook him hard enough to grind his teeth.
         “Keep your tongue behind your teeth or
you’ll lose it,” the Sondecki snapped.
         Kurt snarled, “Don’t you touch my father
like that!  You promised you would free them from the Marquis’s evil magic!”
         Jessica leapt from the rat’s back and
nodded. “Aye, we did.  And then we find and kill
Agathe.” She stared at the duke and the bishop,
focussing on the lines of magic surrounding
them.  Several lines radiated from their bodies
in multiple directions, all coming together
inside to form a convoluted knot whose roots dug
deep into their spirits.  They pulsed with a life
of their own, but blended with the hue of their
spirits so well that Jessica had no idea what lines belonged to the Marquis.
         “Which do I cut?” she asked, not expecting an answer.
         Beside her stepped Qan-af-årael.  The
Åelf surveyed them with calm eyes, then shook his
head. “You may cut none of them.  They are all
connected, not just to the Marquis, but also to each of you.”
         Jessica tried to follow the lines
binding Schanalein and Hockmann, but lost them
once they left the room.  And even when she gazed
at her friends, she couldn’t see any such lines
binding their spirits.  As if sensing her
question, Qan-af-årael said, “The power of the
cards expresses in different ways.  Du Tournemire
has employed two distinct magical conceits to
gain his power.  The deck with which he inflicts
pain and controls your bodies is the one you
already know – and one that I cannot sever.  The
other requires the victim to play a game in
which, knowingly or not, he relinquishes himself to du Tournemire’s control.”
         “That’s what Krenek said happened to him,” Charles pointed out.
         “And it is the power binding Duke
Schanalein and Bishop Hockmann.  It permits du
Tournemire to subvert their wills to his
own.  They do his bidding as if it were their
own.” The two men sneered and struggled, but
could not free themselves. “And aye, I do know how they can be freed.”
         “Is there anything we can do to help?”
Kurt piped up, eyes filled with relief.
         “This will fare most easily if you can
lay them flat.  The table there.”
         Kurt and Kayla proceeded to clean the
table of used dinnerware, a set of wooden markers
bearing the emblems of various noble houses, and
a large map of western Galendor.  These they set
in a corner where they wouldn’t be in the
way.  Then the others helped Jerome and Lindsey
lift Schanalein and Hockmann and stretch them out
on the table.  They kept the Breckarins’ arms
extended past their heads, while Andares and
James kept them from moving their legs.  Tugal
and Kurt rushed to aid them after Hockmann
slipped his foot from its boot and tried to kick the donkey.
         “Jessica, Kayla, Abafouq, Guernef, open
your eyes to the currents of magic.  See what is
hidden to the light.  Focus your awareness only
on this.  Let everything else fade from your
minds.” Qan-af-årael’s words were almost a chant,
and Jessica felt their edge disturb her
feathers.  Doing what she could, she drove out
all awareness of the room.  The colours faded to
grey, slowly attaining translucence.  Her body
receded, and she realized she no longer knew if
it was warm or cold, dry or humid.  Even the bite
of salt that pervaded the air of Breckaris was gone.
         Many times her master Wessex had guided
her into this state where she was only aware of
the magic.  Each time, he’d aided her with
unguents and magical circles; she had never been
able to attain this consciousness on her
own.  The Åelf must have guided them; there was no other explanation for it.
         Before them she saw the outline of two
men, each twisted and bound in their middle by a
knot formed by a thousand threads.  Faint hands
felt along the threads, tracing them in and
through the knot in their centre.  With a
dizzying rapidity, threads were pulled taut and
held aloft.  Jessica took those held close and
kept them taut, not knowing what else she could
do.  Nor did she understand why he choose the
ones he did, as they appeared no different than the rest.
         All the world empty but for the
discursive forces of magic, Jessica allowed
herself to sink into those few strands the
ancient Åelven sorcerer had given her.  Images
flickered in and out of existence.  She knew
bright warm days filled with the cries of
gulls.  Cool winters, where the trees were empty
skeletons, but no raiment of white hid their
nakedness.  The aching harmony of monks in chant
to Yahshua.  The self-assured countenance of a
man with aquiline nose and empty blue eyes.  And
then there was a dark thing that lurked behind
every memory, living in the cracks of
existence.  Whatever it was she saw she wished never to see again.
         Jessica gasped and nearly lost her
connection with the magic.  Another magical
strand was held out before her.  The hawk grasped
it, tightened her talons about them, and bored
her gaze into the knots at the centre of each
man.  They appeared no smaller than they had
before, but now at least, all of the threads of magic had been drawn aside.
         The strange nebulous hands that she knew
must be the Åelf’s took up a single thread and
with a twist, broke it in two.  The knots churned
and Jessica felt the threads in her hands yanked
and slither like so many snakes come to
life.  She held tight, and for a moment she could feel her beak clenched shut.
         Even as the knots writhed, the hands
sunk into their depths, and pulled them apart,
rending and tearing.  The threads pulled back,
seeking to draw them all in closer, but it was
too late, Jessica could sense it.  Moment by
moment passed, and the knots finally gave way,
disintegrating into a tangled skein.  This the
hands swept away, leaving the spirits of the two men unadorned and free.
         And then, just as suddenly, the world
exploded with colour, vibrant and rich, sensation
of air upon her feathers, scent of salt, and of
every other dimension she could imagine.  Jessica
squawked in surprise, blinking her eyes, seeing
the men in the flesh again, all trace of the
magic underlying reality gone from her
awareness.  She turned just in time to watch Qan-af-årael topple over.
         Andares moved quickly, grabbing him
under his shoulders before he crashed to the
floor.  His chest heaved and the ancient Åelf
blearily opened his eyes. “Thank you,
Andares-es-sebashou.  This was far worse than I expected.”
         “Will you be well?” Abafouq asked.  The
Binoq rubbed his hands together nervously.
         Qan-af-årael nodded. “Aye.  I must rest.”
         “What about Agathe?” Jessica demanded.
         “You must find her and stop her.  I...”
Qan-af-årael slumped in Andares’s arms and said nothing more.
         The younger Åelf placed one hand on
Qan-af’s chest and then took a deep breath. “He
is sleeping.  I will remain here and keep a watch on him.”
         Kurt could wait no longer.  His father
and the bishop had both passed out along with the
ancient sorcerer, and nobody was checking to see
if they were okay!  He grabbed his father’s arms
from Jerome and gave them a quick shake. “Father?  Father, can you hear me?”
         Abafouq nodded to Lindsey and the other
still holding them down. “I be thinking it is
safe to let go now.  Qan-af-årael has freed them from du Tournemire’s grasp.”
         The Keepers did as instructed, but they
kept an eye on the two.  It only took a minute
before Duke Schanalein managed to wake up.  He
blinked bleary eyes, and then sat upright, nearly
yanking Kurt, who still held his arms, from his
feet. “He’s gone!” Friedrich Schanalein
exclaimed, his face filling with delight.  He
turned and saw his son and tears blossomed there.
“Kurt!  My son!” He threw his arms around the
young man’s neck and held him tight.
         “Father!” Kurt cried, hugging back. “You’re back!”
         Duke Schanalein nodded and squeezed his
son tight. “Aye, I’m back.  Thank you for not
giving up on me.” He let Kurt go, smiled at him
fondly, and then turned to stare at the
Keepers.  Hockmann still lay unconscious beside
him. “And thank you all for your help.  Forgive
me for what I’ve done to you.  I will make amends anyway I can.”
         “You can start by telling us where
Agathe is,” Jessica said, her voice sharp, talons
scratching impatiently at the floor.
         “And where our gear is,” Lindsey added.
         “Your weapons and supplies are in the
barracks where you were held prisoner.,” the duke replied.
         “We’ll never get those in time,” Jessica
squawked unpleasantly. “And Agathe?  Where is she?”
         “The Tower of Theodoric.” Friedrich
tried to slide his feet off the table, but a wave
of dizziness forced him back down. “Kurt can show you where it is.”
         “But what of the guards?” Charles
asked.  He eyes the door warily, though the
silence spell was still in place. “Those in the
prison claimed that you told them to capture him.”
         Friedrich grimaced, brow furrowing in
disgust. “There won’t be anyone in the tower but
that witch.  But there will be Breckarin soldiers
along the way, and they will try to stop
you.  Tell the two outside to come in.”
         The rat nodded uncertainly, stepped back
from the door, and opened it.  “His grace wishes
to speak with you!” he called, keeping behind the door to hide his form.
         The two guards shuffled in, eyes wary.
As soon as they saw the menagerie of creatures in
the room they lowered their halberds, teeth grit.
“Fear not, your grace!  We shall lay down our
lives for you!” one of them shouted heroically.
         The duke sat back up and shook his head.
“Thank you, but my life is not in any danger.  In
fact, those you see here have rescued me from
evil magic.  I want the both of you to escort
them to the Tower of Theodoric.  Now!”
         The guards blinked uncertainly, and the
same one managed to ask, “Your grace?  But
they’re demons from the cursed Keep of the north!”
         Duke Friedrich Schanalein sat up
further, his face filling with indignant rage.
“You would question me to my face?  These are my
friends!  You will do as I order.  Take them to
the Tower of Theodoric and let them do what they
must!  Return posthaste and if you do not persist
in contumacy, I will reward you for your obedience!”
         At last both guards nodded, lowering
their halberds.  They regarded the Keepers
warily, but this was an order from their
sovereign. “Follow us, Keepers,” the first
said.  The both of them left the chamber quickly,
eager to be done with their chore.  Father and
son exchanged warm smiles before Kurt rushed to follow the Keepers.

----------

         Agathe had finished tracing the green
chalk over the designs just outside the third
circle when she felt the first of her warding
spells activate.  As the magic of Ahdyojiak came
to life, rising upwards in a wall of green light,
she turned her eyes to the timepiece in the
corner.  If it was to be believed, there was a
little less than two hours until midnight.  The
Keepers had just reached the bridge, so there was
little chance they could ascend the tower, much less stop her.
         Being careful not to mar any of her
lines, Agathe stepped away from the spell and
considered what had to be done next.  Already
shimmering walls of green energy rose from the
triangle and the three circles at the triangle’s
vertices.  The pillars shone brightest of all;
her eyes hurt just to looking at them.  A wide
black warding circle encompassed the spell, and
kept its power contained and focussed.  She’d
already drawn the paths for the doors, now she
needed to draw the parabolic doors
themselves.  And then she’d need to do something
to give power to the Pillars; no human sacrifice
would be needed this time, but a little something had to be given.
         Before returning to her spell, she wound
the timepiece again.  All she could do was hope
her protections had been enough.

----------

         The two guards gestured to the double
doors at the end of the hall. “There, the Tower
of Theodoric,” the one groused. “There are no soldiers there.”
         “Just Agathe,” Lindsey added sourly.
         “That’s enough,” James agreed.
         Kurt nodded to both guards and smiled.
“Thank you.  Return to my father and keep watch
over him and his grace, the bishop.” Both of them
gave a quick bow and rushed back the way they
came.  Sensing their time was short, Kurt hurried
to the doors and threw them open.  The night air
was cool, but something else made him
shudder.  For the first time, he could feel the
creeping unease so many of the servants had said
clutched them every time they entered Theodoric’s
tower.  He swallowed, gathered his courage, and
waved them forward. “It’s across the bridge.  The stairs only go up.”
         The Keepers, hardened by their journey
and training, said nothing as they followed him
out onto the bridge.  Tugal stayed close at his
side, and likely saved his life.  When Kurt
reached the middle of the bridge, a flash of
light erupted form either side, arcing for his
head.  Tugal saw it first, grabbed his shoulders, and yanked him backwards.
         Those sentinels, now awakened, lifted
and formed into a mass at the other end of the
bridge.  They appeared as nothing more than
common witchlights, but these hurled botls of
lightning at their feet, forcing them back.
         “A trap!” Kurt exclaimed once his breath
returned. “How do we get past it?”
         Jessica peered at them, trying to find
their origin, and then felt her heart sink.
“They’re bound elementals!  We will have to free
them if we want to pass, but that will take far too long!”
         “Nae,” the harsh voice of the Nauh-kaee
echoed. “They are subservient to the wind.  And I
can hear a wind to shake them to the sky.”
         “What does that mean?” Kayla asked, tail
lashing nervously back and forth.
         “It be meaning that Guernef will
distract them for us, I be thinking,” Abafouq
said, even as he pushed his way to the front to
see.  Already a breeze tugged at their hair, fur,
and feathers.  The sentinels bobbed and wove to
stay before the door.  The Binoq grinned, “I will
open the door.  When I say you best be running to it!”
         Behind them, Guernef lowered his beak to
the ground and closed his eyes.  The breeze
gained strength, tugging their clothes, forcing
them to shift their balance.  The Kakikagiget of
the Nauh-kaee spread white wings, every speck of
dust and debris blasted from beneath them by the
gale. Across the bridge the sentinels struggled,
but one by one scattered away.  By the time the
last finally fled, the gale was so strong they
had to bend over and hold each other up for
support.  The roar was deafening, and none of them heard Abafouq’s command.
         But they saw the Binoq start forward,
and followed as fast as they could in the
windstorm.  Guernef remained where he was, beak
against stone, all effort consumed by summoning
the wind.  The sentinels train vainly to return,
but could not even draw near the tower.  Finally,
Abafouq reached the door and let loose his
spell.  The door snapped open inwards, and the
wind suddenly struck their backs, pushing them
thorugh.  Once they were inside, the door slammed shut behind them.
         “Guernef!” Kayla cried. “He’s still out there.”
         “He has no choice,” Jessica reasons,
dark and determined. “Someone had to keep those
things distracted. We have to go on without him.”
         “Jessica be right,” Abafouq pointed out.
“Guernef will be fine, I be thinking.  Let us
continue, but with caution be exercising.”
         Kurt gestured at the stairs on the
right.  The rest of the room was bare. “Agathe must be up there.”
         “How many rooms are there?” Lindsey
asked as he straightened his tunic and beard.
         “Just the tower room at the top.”
         Abafouq approached the stairs and help
up one hand.  The others waited while he squinted
and studied the whitewashed masonry.  Old cracks
marred the surface, and even a few cobwebs could
be seen in corners.  But that was not what the
Binoq saw, nor Jessica when she focussed on the
magic. “More traps,” the hawk squawked in
irritation. “Everywhere they are traps!”
         Charles, who had returned to his bipedal
form, was quick to advise. “Do no trip any, even
those that appear harmless. Yu don’t want to become stone too.”
         “We’ll have to break them,” Kayla
suggested. “Unless we can avoid them...”
         “The spells be on the steps and
walls.  Touch either and they activate.” Abafouq
rubbed his hands together in thought. “Removing
every trap will take time, something Qan-af-årael warned we be lacking.”
         “I can fly,” Jessica pointed out.
         “Not up a flight of stairs,” Habakkuk said in a quiet voice.
         “We have to do something!” the hawk
protested, stamping her talons in frustration.
         The kangaroo laid a calming paw on her
shoulder. “We will.  Have faith.  But also think clearly.  A solution exists.”
         “Aye,” Abafouq replied with a grin. “I
be thinking I have it.” They all turned to
listen. “When we faced these evil wizards in the
Metamor belfry, I did create a tunnel through the
Weathermonger Yonson’s wind wall.  I can create
another that be taking us up these stairs uch
faster than undoing Agathe’s traps would be taking.”
         “Then do it!” Lindsey growled impatiently.
         “Gather behind me, and wait for me to
begin climbing.  The first step be the most
difficult, I be hoping.” They did as the Binoq
instructed, each waiting and growing weary from
it.  Abafouq conjured first one bone and then a
second, fixing them at right angles.  With a
third and a fourth he did likewise, crafting a
rectangular portal framing the bottom of the
staircase.  Eight more were brought forth, until
the Binoq had constructed a magical cube.  This
he squeezed into the curving stairwell, creating
the first part of the tunnel that would protect them from Agathe’s spells.
         Only the mages could see these bones; to
the rest it appeared as though nothing were
different.  They is until Abafouq stepped into
the stairwell and a glossy gray light kept his
feet aloft and secure.  Some of them gasped, but
the Binoq waved them back. “Wait but a moment
more, then follow slowly.” He returned to his
work, building another link in his tunnel,
stretching it up the stairwell as far as he
dared.  His progress would be slow, but it would be steady and safe.
         The Keepers followed him tentatively,
but with increasing confidence when they saw that
the gray force held them aloft and kept them from
slipping.  The staircase turned counter clockwise
as it ascended and the white-washing became more
and more spotted.  And though there were no other
visible signs of their ascent, Abafouq continued to build his tunnel.
         Eventually, the strain of maintaining it
became unbearable.  Abafouq let the beginning of
the tunnel collapse, half afraid the whole
edifice would slide back down the steps.  And for
a moment, it seemed likely to do just that.  The
tunnel shifted to one side, knocking the donkey
from his hooves.  Charles caught his friend, and
the tunnel steeled, but like a defile of rocks,
it was ready at any moment to crumble.
         “Kayla,” Abafouq shouted, “come here and
hold this!”  The Binoq had wrapped his hand about
empty air, but once she could feel it, the skunk
saw it was a long spike imbedded in the stairs.
         “How long must I hold it?” she asked as
the little man set about extending the tunnel again.
         “Until I be needed you to hold another!”
         And so they continued, their progress
slow but certain.  Minutes trickled past, and in
each of them gnawed th efear that they were too
late.  Four times Abafouq planted spikes for the
skunk to secure with her meagre talent.  Four
times he was forced to let the tunnel behind them
dissolve.  But for the cramped, translucent gray
passage, they were trapped by Agathe’s
spells.  Each of them grew exhausted from the endless waiting.
         But the stairs did end.  When they saw
the sharp left turn at the top of the stairs they
rejoiced quietly.  With renewed determination,
Abafouq set his mystical bone sin place, drawing
them up step by step.  Finally, he brought them
to a small antechamber with a single southwards
facing door.  A complex spells bound the door
shut, but the room itself was clean.  An ætherial
green light pierced the door jamb.
         “It be safe, but for the door,” he said,
and the Keepers slipped past. “Kayla, I be
holding this in place.  Leave the stairs.” The
skunk hurried past him, at which point, he
realized he had a problem.  How was he to get out
of the stairs?  He licked his lips and called
out, “Lindsey, I would be most pleased if you be holding me while I let go.”
         The woodcutter did as asked, gripping
him beneath his arms.  Abafouq released the
tunnel and felt it disintegrate around
him.  Lindsey se him down on the floor and the
Binoq smiled. “I be thinking we have only a
little time left.” And then, the weariness of his
spellcasting caught up with him.  The world spun
wildly as Abafouq fainted to the tower floor.

----------

         All of the lines were drawn.  Agathe
blinked as she studied the outskirts of the
summoning, unable to look at the central tower of
light, so bright was it now.  Everything appeared
to be in order, and she had only to give the
pillars items to give it enough power to
transport her anywhere in the world she wished.
         Carefully, Agathe stepped over the black
line that kept it’s power contained.  Only a tiny
amount of space was left for her to work, and she
slumped against the wall as she bent down into
it.  With trembling hands, she drew free her
boots, and spread out her toes.  The small toes
on each foot were missing, severed when she’d
cast the spell to bring herself and that
newly-made woman from the Barrier Range mountains
to Breckaris two months ago.  A few more would suffice.
         She removed her knife from her belt and
drew a sigil over its surface.  The blade began
to glow, and the air sizzled from the sudden
heat.  Agathe sucked in her breath, chest aching
from exertion.  She gripped the hem of her robe
in her free hand and shoved it between her
teeth.  Spreading her toes out, she neatly sliced
the knife through the knuckle of her smallest
remaining toe.  The digit came off cleanly, the wound cauterized behind it.
         But one digit would not do.  She needed
three, one for each pillar.  Taking another deep
breath, Agathe sliced off the remainder of that
toe.  The pain was bearable, but only because of
her great need.  She switched foots and then
sliced off that toe at the knuckle too.  Now she
had three toe fragments.  She drew another sigil
above the knife, and the metal cooled.  Once it
was cool enough she returned it to her
belt.  Gingerly she pulled her boots back on, and
the gathered the three severed bits of flesh.
         The only places that did not shine
brightly were the doors she’d drawn, and the
small paths that led into the pillars.  The
warding spells and the summoning spells
intermixed between the doors and paths were a
glow with verdant flame.  In each of the three
paths, Agathe set down one of the offerings.  She
then stood inside one of the parabolic doors
she’d drawn.  When midnight struck, all that lay
within this door would go to the Imbervand, that
place between places, that time between
times.  From there, she could go wherever she
wished in the world.  She would journey to one of
the far continents across the ocean.  Even the
Marquis’s magic could not reach her there.
         Just as she felt a bit of confidence
returning, she felt the Keepers reach the atrium
outside the tower room.  How had they ascended
the stairs?  Not a one of her warding spells had
been activated!  She shot a glance at the
timepiece, saw that only a few minutes
remained.  She stared at the oaken door and hoped
her spell was enough to keep them out.  Only a
few more minutes; it was all she needed to escape.

----------

         “Is he all right?” Charles asked as
Lindsey carefully examined the fallen Binoq.
         “Looks like exhaustion to me,” Lindsey
replied. “He should be fine.” The northerner
leaned the little man against one wall and then
turned to the oaken door. “Now how do we get through this?”
         Jessica studied the spell, noting the
way the sigils curled and bound the door
shut.  They even gave the door superior
durability, making it extraordinarily difficult
to break through.  Not to mention the shocking
spell that would knock anyone who dared touch the
door backwards.  She shut her beak tight and
swore to herself.  She couldn’t break this
alone.  If Qan-af-årael, Guernef, and Abafouq
were aiding her, perhaps.  But with only Kayla, it couldn’t be done.  Unless...
         “Charles, Jerome, can your Sodneckis
abilities strike this door without you touching it?”
         Both of them nodded, stretching their
arms out. “Of course,” the rat replied. “What do you need?”
         “There are three separate spells on this
door.  Let me weaken the one, and then I want you
to hit this as hard as you can without touching it.”
         “Then do so!” Jerome urged.  He rubbed
his hands together and concentrated on building
up his energy.  A faint song emerged form his
lips, and Charles was quick to join him.
         Jessica motioned for Kayla to help,
though the skunk appeared weary from aiding
Abafouq on the stairs. “All I need is for you to
lend strength to my spell, Kayla,” Jessica said,
trying her best to sound reassuring.  But inside
she felt a seething anger, and a worry that
they’d be too late.  She had no idea what Agathe
was doing on the other side of this door, but she
was determined to stop it; and then to kill her.
         “Of course.  My strength is yours,”
Kayla replied, her tail lashing back and
forth.  She put her paws to the hawk’s back,
right between her wings, and Jessica could feel a
comforting warmth fill her there.
         Undoing the spells would take too
long.  But weakening one of them was just a
matter of casting another spell on the
door.  Quickly, she traced out the runes she
would need with her wing tips, and then used her
talons to bring them together.  One by one, she
laid them atop the fortitude spell.  Seven runes
gathered on key pieces of the spell, and then
once all were lain, the runes drew nearer each
other, until they combined.  They pulled at the
edges of the fortitude runes, pulling them away
from the door, as a starfish opening a clam.
         Jessica nodded to the Sondeckis. “Have at it.”
         “You’ll want to step aside,” Jerome
cautioned.  Jessica and Kayla did that, and then
watched as the two Sondeckis threw their arms
forward.  The centre of the door buckled and
splintered, as if struck by a battering
ram.  Seeing their first blow was not enough, the
Sondeckis began throwing punches and kicks,
anything they could to try and shatter that
door.  It was splintering, and it was weakening, but still it held in place.
         And then, one figure strode forward, not
caring a whit for the power the Sondeckis were
unleashing. “Tugal!” Kurt cried, “Don’t get in their way!”
         The woman snapped, “If there is but one
thing I can do, I will do it!  Stand aside!”
Charles and Jerome, looked confused, but did
pause their attacks.  Jessica could see that they
had weakened the spells on the door, but it still
was not budging.  If they had another five
minutes, they would certainly get through, but did they have five minutes?
         Tugal drew her daggers, and shoved them
into the jamb opposite the handle.  With a quick
upwards thrust, she jarred the door so violently
that the ricochet of metal could clearly be
heard.  She’d undid the pins on the latch.
         Kayla screamed when she saw the warding
spell activate.  Tugal tried to duck to the side,
but the blast of energy clipped her and sent her
spinning to the floor. Kurt ran to her side and
dragged her back. A moment later, with a cry of
agony, he pressed his cloaked against her side to
staunch the sudden flow of blood.
         “Tugal!” Charles cried, but Jerome
grabbed him and shook his head.  The rat
grimaced, turned back to the door, and the two
Sondeckis threw their arms once again.  The force
of the blow smacked the door through, sending it
spinning off its hinges to one side.  The
brilliant light from within blinded them, and a
horrible shriek came from within.
         Jessica saw a single silhouette of
darkness within that chamber of scintillating
green light.  With a shriek of beastly rage, the
hawk jumped through the doorway straight for the
shadow.  A thunderclap sounded the moment she
struck, and for a single moment, all the world fell into darkness.

Ut Prosim