[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLIII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Jun 8 06:42:13 CDT 2007

And after a two month hiatus, here is the next
chapter in my massive Metamor Keep epic!

Chapter XLIII

The Marquis’s Deck

         “That’s much better,” the Marquis
crooned, rubbing one finger across the cards.
Each Keeper felt something heavy brush over their
chest. “Bishop Hockmann, you have done very
well.  They were precisely where you said they would be.”
         The older priest nodded his head
mechanically. “It is only a matter of knowing the
land, your grace.” A smile crept up Hockmann’s
cheeks. “There truly was only one way they could
go.  It was your aides who made the capture.”
         The Marquis nodded, gazing first to
Zagrosek, and then to the cloaked
Runecaster.  Zagrosek’s face was empty of
anything but obedience.  Agathe crossed her arms
and let her cowl fall even further over her face.
“They sometimes do as I wish,” du Tournemire
conceded, his smile turning to a frown. “And
sometimes,” he looked at Zagrosek and poked his
finger at the cards.  The black-clad Sondeckis
doubled over in pain. “Sometimes they do because
they know it is their only choice.  Is that not so, Krenek?”
         Zagrosek said nothing, his eyes dark and
full of hate as he stared at du Tournemire.  The
Marquis laughed and strode to the Sondecki.  He
nudged his side with one boot. “What, nothing to
say?  You who always have a pithy remark?  Do you
do as I ask because it is your will, or because you have no choice?”
         “Your will, of course,” Zagrosek replied
through clenched teeth. “I have no will left.”
         Upon the throne, Duke Schanalein laughed
and clapped his hands. “Very good, very good,
Marquis!  But do you intend to continue to
humiliate your aides or will you introduce me to your captives?”
         The Marquis shot him an amused glance.
“All in good time, your grace.” He stared at the
Keepers for the first time, eyes falling on each
of them in turn.  They each felt a burning
sensation beneath their skin when he stared at
them, as if his eyes were magnifying lenses focussing the sun’s rays.
         When he saw Charles, he snapped.
“Agathe, let this thing go.  I want it to see me.”
         Agathe stirred, face turning inside the
cowl. “He is dangerous.  He can move through
stone.” The Marquis jabbed his fingers at the
cards and Agathe doubled over, her cowl falling
back.  The gashes in her face began to bleed as
she screamed, a sound so awful that the Keepers felt momentary pity for her.
         “You forget who holds the cards.  Now let him go.”
         Agathe lifted one hand, and Charles felt
himself loosen.  He collapsed on the ground,
blinking, and looking around.  He immediately
pushed his paws into the stone, but to his
surprise, discovered there was nowhere to
go.  The castle was built from blocks held
together with cement, and no matter which way he
pressed at it, he could not pass through that barrier.
         Charles looked up and saw the Marquis
nodding his head. “You see, Agathe, you should
never question me.  I know precisely what can and
cannot be done by these pathetic Keepers.  They
can do nothing to touch me.  Nothing at all.” He
folded the cards into a single deck, and rubbed
it between his fingers. The agony filling their bodies abruptly vanished.
         “That is right.  I do not need to give
you pain to keep you on the ground.  But I assure
you, if any of you does move from where you
kneel, the pain will be doubly worse for your
friends.  Do we understand each other?”
         None of them said anything.  Charles
noted the few soldiers in the throne room.  They
would not be much of a challenge.  The Marquis
did not carry any weapon that he could see, and
Zagrosek was still gasping from pain.  Bishop
Hockmann was fumbling with his glasses, and Duke
Schanalein seemed only half-aware of what was
happening before him.  But Charles knew as did
the others that the Marquis was right, there was
no point in fighting.  If the rat even tried,
Agathe could freeze him in place again with a single thought.
         The Marquis nodded and then turned his
back on them.  He addressed the Duke; “Your
grace, I present to you the fools following
ancient prophecy.  They believe they are destined
to destroy me and bring my plans to naught.  But
here they are, captive and incapable of
action.  Prophesied ones, hah!  These before you
are no instruments of legend.  They are simple
men and women who have no idea what they contend with.”
         He tossed the deck into the air.  The
cards hung there, spread apart in a mosaic that
suggested something profane.  The Keepers averted
their eyes, for it hurt to even look at it. “Let
us begin with the lowest card present, the Five
of Spades.” He plucked a card from the mosaic,
and gave it a pull.  Jerome fell forward, unable
to stop himself from crawling on hands and knees
to the base of the dais. “Yes, come here, Five.”
         Jerome gasped and lifted his eyes.  The
Marquis bent down and grinned. “Jerome Krabbe,
born in the city of Makor in Sonngefilde, he
joined the Sondecki order at the age of
seven.  For eighteen years he trained in the art
of the fighter, never once using a weapon in all
his life.  A single blow from his fist can crush
a horse’s skull, not to mention a man’s.  But for
all this, his life has no meaning.  He now spends
his days trying to hide his friend’s location
from the Sondecki order while pretending to look
for him.  A sad man, for whom this duty begins to
take its toll.  But he can take solace in the
knowledge that his duty will soon become
meaningless, just as his life has been
meaningless for so long.  What good is a Sondecki
who cannot even uphold the virtues of his clan?  What good, Jerome, are you?”
         Jerome sneered. “Better than you!”
         “A tongue on this one,” the Duke observed with a laugh.
         “A most distressing quality, I concur.”
The Maquis snatched another card from the mosaic
and gave it a twist.  Kayla fell to the ground,
screaming in agony, bloody tears streaming across
her cheeks. “I suggest you apologize for your
remarks, Jerome.  It is the only way Kayla will find any relief.”
         Jerome bit his lip and said nothing. “Or
perhaps you do not care for the skunk?” The
Maquis grabbed another card.  Abafouq let out a
howl as his arm bent back over his shoulder.
“Eventually I will select someone you do care for.”
         The Sondecki hissed, but managed to say, “I am sorry.”
         “Hardly contrite, but it will have to
do.” The Marquis let go of both cards, and then
waved the Five of Spades in Jerome’s face.  Now
crawl back to your place, Krabbe!”
         Jerome did, head hung low, sweat pouring
from his face.  The Marquis flung his card back
into the mosaic, and drew out another. “Ah, the
Six of Spades.  The former merchant of dubious
meats.  Do present yourself, James.”
         Unlike Charles, the donkey knelt on the
carpeting.  He dragged himself forward, ears
folded back, making almost no sound at all.  The
Marquis bent down and patted James between his
ears. “That’s a good little beast. You know your
place well, don’t you?  A year ago, you had never
even touched a sword!  How can you think to stand
against my power?  You cannot.  Cower like you
have always cowered.  Cry like you have always
cried, and get back out of our sight!”
         James cringed, but fell back with the
others, eyes shut tight, doing his best not to
cry.  Charles saw his flesh trembling, and he hoped it was in fury.
         “The Seven of Spades, the man who was a
woman.  Lindsey, the woodcutter from Arabarb.”
Lindsey’s red beard dragged on the floor as he
crawled forward.  He did not lift his head, lips
set in a snarl where they could not be seen by
Schanalein or du Tournemire. “You fled to Metamor
when your land was overrun by the armies of Baron
Calephas and the wizard Nasoj.  At Metamor you
became a man, and have since tried to pretend
that you are happy this way.  How empty your
masculinity, how empty your boasts, and how empty your heart!”
         Lindsey tensed, eyes narrowed in
hate.  But he said nothing, allowing the Marquis
to continue to heap invective upon him. “What a
sad thing to face a person who hates
themselves.  How could we possibly lose to one such as he?”
         The Marquis dismissed Lindsey and took
the next card. “The Eight of Spades, Kayla,
another who has long hated themselves.  After you
became a skunk, you hid yourself in the confines
of the Intelligence Bureau.  So afraid that
others would flee your endearing aroma, you even
doubted the advances of your lover.  Now you come
seeking to avenge what I have done to him.  Do
not be filled with fear.  I have taken very good
care of his soul, giving it every torment it so richly deserves!”
         Kayla snarled, body tensing.  The bracer
on her wrist began to warm with her inner fire,
and she leapt to her feet, snarling and raking
with her claws.  The Marquis squeezed the card
and she was knocked aside as if a great hand had
reached down from the heavens and throttled her.
“I do believe I told you not to try such a
thing.  Now you will pay the
consequences.  Choose one of your friends to suffer for your mistake.”
         Kayla rose to four paws, and flicked her
tail high, snarling at the Marquis. “Never!”
         “Then I will choose.  How about... Misha!”
         “What?” Kayla snapped, looking up in surprise.
         “He isn’t here with you now, but I have
him in my deck.  Let us see where he is shall
we?” The cards hanging in the air shifted, until
the mosaic took on the appearance of the familiar
fox.  They couldn’t quite see where he was, but
he appeared to be reading or studying something.
         “No!  Don’t!  Make me suffer the pain!” Kayla screamed.
         “That was not the punishment.  Let us
start slow, shall we.  A bit of a cramp in his
arm.” The Marquis turned the card slightly, and
they could see the unaware fox clutch his right
arm.  His grey eyes widened in surprise as he
rubbed at his wrist. “And now a clenching in his
gut.” Misha bent over, eyes shut tight, muzzle
opening to let out a silent gasp of pain. “And
now, let’s crush his chest, shall we?”
         “No!  Forgive me!” Kayla shrieked. “Please don’t do this!”
         “Of course,” du Tournemire smiled and
the cards dispersed, Misha’s visage gone. “Now
get back to your place, beast!” The Marquis took
Kayla’s card and twisted it again.  She scrambled
backwards, one paw pressed painfully to her back.
“Let this be a reminder for you, and a
warning.  At any time, from any place, I can
bring you mind-crushing pain.  You have no
recourse, no solace, no hiding place, no balm, and no hope against it.”
         The Marquis du Tournemire casually
selected another card. “And now for the Nine of
Spades.  Would the pathetic little Binoq present himself!”
         Charles watched Abafouq try to muster as
much dignity as he could.  The Binoq stumbled on
his knees, but he refused to lower his hands to
the throne room floor.  Charles glanced briefly
at du Tournemire, rage swelling in him.  The ivy
tightened and twisted across his back and
chest.  How long were they to be humiliated for
this man’s demented pleasure?  How could this be
the same man that Charles had once long ago helped?
         “Abafouq, an outcast of his race, defied
his people by studying magic under the eyes of
the mysterious Nauh-kaee.  Ever his soul yearned
to wander and learn of the outside
world.  Perhaps he would have been better off if
he’d listen to his people and stayed where he
belonged!  Have you ever witnessed so unimposing
a creature as he?  Yet even now he thinks that he
has reserves greater than we can face.  How wrong
he is.” The Marquis flipped one edge of the card
and the Binoq fell backwards with an agonized cry. “How wrong he is!”
         With an exultant grin, du Tournemire
crooned, “Oh little pet of the Nauh-kaee, dusts
and powders will give you nothing this day or any
other.  How you will wish you stayed in your
caves and let the ice kill you.” He flicked the
card back into the mosaic and Abafouq was
propelled backwards against Guernef.  The
Nauh-kaee nudged him back to his knees with his
beak. The Binoq gasped for breath, throat ragged and sore.
         “And now the Ten of Spades, the
mysterious Geurnef of the Nauh-kaee.  Marvel at
this wonder, this strange beast!” The Marquis
rubbed either side of the card, forcing Guernef
to spread his wings wide.  The white gryphon did
as he was bade without any indication of complaint.
         “You will never see another like
him.  Where these others are monsters by the
power of Metamor, Guernef, the Kakikagiget of his
people, Listener of Winds, is a member of a
beastly race by birth.  Long have they hidden in
their mountain crags.  But this one has been
master to the Binoq for five years, as a man is
master to a dog.  He is still a beast, and still less than the race of men!”
         Guernef offered them nothing other than
his remarkable appearance, and it was clear that
the Duke grew bored by him.  He waved one hand in
irritation.  The Marquis smirked and with the
flick of a wrist, dismissed Guernef and plucked
another card from the floating facade instead.
“Now we come to the powerful cards, your
grace.  First, the Knight of Spades, Charles Matthias.”
         There was a command to the rat’s body
quite unlike the rigidity that Agathe had filled
him with.  It felt like the grip the jealous
mountains had inflicted when trying to absorb his
substance.  Charles inched forward on hands and
knees, tail dragging between his legs.  The vine
on his back pulled tight against his stony flesh, as if to protect it.
         When the sensation ceased, Charles was
at the Marquis’s feet.  Du Tournemire stood upon
a broad stone slab at the base of the dais, and
he was crouched over its border.  The rat pressed
his paws into the stone, feeling through to
beneath the Marquis’s booted feet.  It would be
so simple to pull him down into the stone.
         And then, his whole body tightened, and
he realized he couldn’t move at all. “And before
you, what belongs better in a garden than the
throne room, is the rat become rock, the mouse
who aspires to be a mountain!  He is also of the
Southlands, born in Kitchelande and raised as a
Sondecki since the age of seven.  This one
though, he has killed royalty, and for that, he
left his order and eventually came to Metamor
Keep.  There he became a rodent, and like a rat, has hidden from his clan.”
         The Marquis bent over and stroked his
hand across the back of Charles’s ear. “And now
he is stone, and he thinks to use that element
against us.  But stone does not move, but remains
where it stands for the ages, or until men decide
to knock it down and put something else in its
place.  That is his legacy.  He will be a
monument festooned with leaves until none can
even see him.  A monument to the folly of his kind!”
         Charles’s body softened again, but he
found his paws ejected from the stone.  He pushed
hard against it, but it was as firm and solid as
metal. “That’s right, silly rat,” du Tournemire
crooned. “You wish to crawl into the floor, but
you cannot if I hold you here.  Now get back, and
strike the pose most befitting a fool such as yourself.”
         Despite all attempts to the contrary,
his body was not his own.  Charles crawled back
across the floor, and then covered his head with
his hands like a cowering peasant, where he felt
himself frozen in place again.  For the first
time in a long time, he felt real anger inside of
him, burning like earth blood.  He would not be a monument for this man!
         “The Priest of Spades is a most
interesting individual, truly the last of his
kind.  Come to us, Zhypar Habakkuk, last
surviving member of the Felikaush!” Habakkuk
waddled forward, eyes lowered.  There was no
defiance in them, but neither was there any
resignation.  Habakkuk stared at the world as
does a man going about his daily affairs
         “At a young age he knew his kind was
coming to an end.  Haunted by those visions, he
has conspired to do the only thing he could think
to do, try to stop me.” Du Tournemire smiled and
patted the kangaroo on the side of the cheek. “I
am afraid that you have failed.  No precognition
will save you now.  You are mine.  And when you
die, the Felikaush die with you.  Does that
thought please you, to know that your death
brings an end to your entire line?  Let us say it
again then.  When you die, the Felikaush will die!”
         Habakkuk took a deep breath, but gave no
other outward sign of his anguish.  The Marquis
did not appear disappointed that his barbs
brought no reaction, but he did dismiss the kangaroo without another word.
         “Now we come to the Queen of
Spades.”  He drew a card form his deck and
frowned. “The hawk.”  He glanced from Agathe to
Zagrosek and then to Hockmann. “Where is the hawk?”
         “She flew into the sky before my net
could capture her,” Agathe said, her voice stiff.
“She will not remain free for long.”
         The Marquis nodded, and walked slowly
over to where Agathe stood beside the
Keepers.  He looked her up and down, and with one
hand pulled her robe from over her shoulders and
down to her feet.  Beneath the purple robe she
bore only a linen smock.  It hung loosely on her
emaciated frame.  They all stared at her, shocked
to see a creature as powerful as her so
frail.  It looked as if she hadn’t eaten in months.
         “You failed me, Agathe,” the Marquis
said in a very quiet voice.  His face was devoid
of expression, and his voice only hinted at
malice. “I am very disappointed in you.” He
turned on his feet and returned to the base of
the dais, leaving the Runecaster standing almost
completely naked before the Keepers and all of the Duke’s guards.
         The Maquis cupped the Queen of Spades in
his hand, and then spread his fingers through the
rest of the cards that hung motionless in the
air. “Let us see where the clever hawk has gone
to.” The cards shimmered, and then flew in a
circle over the Marquis’s head until they
coalesced into the shape of a hawk with outstretched wings.
         In that form they all could see towers
of stone.  The Keepers peered hard, but wondering
how the Marquis could do this with cards, and
also wondering if they would see their
friend.  But the hawk never showed.  Du
Tournemire stared for several long seconds, but
nothing changed.  All that existed in that strange shape was the towers.
         “Ah, very clever.  She is hiding.  And
waiting.  Duke Schanalein, you might want to send
some pikemen and archers to the towers.  I think
they’ll find a red-banded hawk up there, but one
that is not nesting.  Flush her out, then shoot
her down.  Do not kill her, just puncture a wing, enough to bring her down.”
         The Duke nodded. “Of course.  When we
are finished here I will order my men to do
so.  If she is here, then she is waiting to find
an opportunity to free her friends.  She will not
move unless she knows she can find them.”
         “Very true.  There is no hurry.” The
Marquis smiled and then drew his hand through the
cards, destroying the shape of the hawk. “She
will be mine too, just like all of her friends.”
With a flick of his wrist, he snatched a card
from the mass suspended in the air. “Let us
continue, for we are almost done.  The King of
Spades.” He scanned the keepers, until his eyes
settled upon one of the two pearl-grey skinned
Åelf.  With slow deliberation, du Tournemire’s
smile grew until it stretched from ear to ear. “I
have often wanted to meet one of your kind,
ancient and powerful, full of pride and
mysterious to men.  But now, here, before me, you are humble and callow.”
         Measures steps brought him before
Andares, who stared straight ahead with unbowed
eyes.  Andares was several inches taller than the
Marquis, but if du Tournemire was irritated at
having to look up at the Åelf, he did not show
it. “There is one singular quality you possess
that makes you very curious,
Andares-es-sebashou.  You have never before seen
my deck.  I created it myself you know, carved
each and every card by hand.  All of the lines
were drawn by my hand.  Would you like to see the
card I made for you?  I have seen you, watched
you in it these last few years.  I watched you
journey to Ellcaran to bring Kashin the Yeshuel
to Ava-shavåis over a year ago.  I saw you as you
waited in mines of Qorfuu only three months
ago.  I know you very well, and have carved your
likeness very well.  Let me show it to you.”
         Charles turned one eye to watch,
horrified by the thought of what was about to
happen.  All the Marquis would need to bring the
same control over the Åelf was for him to touch
that card.  The magic would bind them together,
and one more ally would fall prey to the Marquis’s whim.
         And that is when the rat noticed a most
curious thing.  Andares’s wrists were bound
behind him with thick cord, but on closer
inspection the rat realized that the Åelf was
holding those same cords between his
fingers.  How long had it been since he’d untied
the knot, Charles could not guess.  But as he
watched, Andares’s fingers reached up to the long
black braid that hung down his back.  From the
end, he drew out a long bone-white needle.
         The Marquis, obviously unaware of what
was happening, lifted the King of Spades and held
it out before him, readying to press it against
Andares’s forehead.  With lightning-quick
reflexes, Andares swung both his arms around and
drove the needle through the Marquis’s
wrist.  With his leg he gave the man a kick to
the stomach, sending him backwards into the dais.
         The cards still hovering in the air sped
like arrows at the Åelf.  Andares ducked beneath
them, but then felt a heavy weight crush into his
back.  Charles, against his will, had leapt upon
the Åelf, grabbed him and shifted into his
massive centaur-like six-legged form.  Andares
gasped for breath, but was unable to turn with
several hundred pounds of stone on his back.
         Sneering, the Marquis climbed to his
feet and yanked the needle from his wrist.  Blood
stained his blue doublet, and continued to flow.
“You may have thought that was a clever trick,
Andares-es-sebashou.  But it was a foolish
one.  Very foolish.  You thought all I could do
for you friends was give them pain?  The greatest
pain of all is to watch your body act against
your will, with no hope of being able to stop
it.  And you will watch that now, as a lesson to
all of you.  This fluttering and trembling in resistance is useless.  Agathe!”
         The frail, scarred woman
approached.  The Marquis extended his wounded arm
over which she drew several signs that glowed a
brilliant blue before fading into nothing.  The
hole in his wrist closed shut, but the
bloodstains remained.  “There should be a few
spiked shoes amongst their belongings.  Bring me one.”
         The woman looked to the guards, one of
whom produced the requested shoe after several
seconds search.  She handed it to the Marquis,
who examined it with disdain.  After several
seconds, he turned to the black-clad Sondecki and
called, “Zagrosek, bend this into a brand.  I
care not what the brand be, just something that
can be used to burn their flesh.”
         Zagrosek nodded, walked to the Marquis,
and began to bend the metal with careful
twists.  The Keepers stared wide-eyed as the
spiked shoe was turned bit by bit into a long rod
with a cris-crossed end.  Charles was still
laying on top of Andares, wishing he could make
his body move, but he’d become as stiff as a
statue again.  Though he weighed more than four
horses, Andares did not appear to have much
trouble breathing.  It was small comfort, but it was still comfort.
         Yet, Charles could not understand why
the Marquis just didn’t kill them.  It was
abundantly clear that they could do nothing to
stop him.  Did he want them alive for some reason?
         The Marquis nodded in approval to
Zagrosek and took the newly fashioned brand and
hefted it in his hands. “You may have thought
that the pain I give through the cards, while
excruciating, is bearable because it brings no
lasting damage.  I can break bones if I chose to
do so.  And I can strangle the life out of you if
it is my will.  But you are right, it does lack a certain visual appeal.”
         He surveyed the Keepers and his eyes
settled upon James.  The donkey was on his hands
and knees still, ears drooped low.  He shivered
under the Maquis’s gaze. “A brand is most often
applied to cattle, horses, slaves, and
criminals.” He held out his fingers and one of
the cards flew between them. “Whatever category
this one falls under, you be the judge.” He
rubbed over the card, and James brayed in
surprise.  His hands disappeared into hooves, and
his clothes stretched and tore at the seams as he
grew into a full donkey.  His eyes filled with
fright, but his could not lift his hooves from the stone.
         Another card settled between the
Marquis’s fingers, and Lindsey rose to his feet.
“Agathe, please warm this brand.  It must be red
hot.”  As the woodcutter approached, the
Runecaster drew several more symbols.  The
cris-crossed end of the brand began to glow a
bright red, and waves of heat rose from its surface.
         The Marquis held the brand out to
Lindsey, whose face was filled with horror, but
whose hands took the brand and whose feet
advanced upon the paralyzed donkey.  James brayed
in fear, tugging at his fixed hooves, as the
woodcutter neared.  Lindsey lowered the end and
without hesitation pressed it against James’s
flanks.  James screamed in agony, a sound both
fully animal and fully intelligent.  But Lindsey
did not remove the brand, despite the tears of frustration staining his cheeks.
         “You see,” the Marquis said, his voice
cutting through the donkey’s cry, “I can use the
cards to inflict wounds that will never fully
heal.” He drew back his hands, and Lindsey drew
back the brand.  Smoke rose from the wound, but
as it cleared, they could all see the blackened
flesh and the symbol burned there.
         Charles felt Andares stir beneath him.
“You have made your point.  I will not see you hurt them any more.”
         The Marquis let go of Lindsey’s card and
took the King of Spades again.   His smile grew
as he crossed to where the Åelf was pinned
beneath the six-legged stone rat. “I knew you
would come to your senses.  Charles, you may let
him up.” The rat found his body his own again,
and was quick to climb off his friend.  Andares
did not appear to be in pain, but he did stand stiffly.
         Slowly, the Marquis extended his hand,
the card resting in his palm.  Upon its face was
the Åelf bearing a ceremonial ivory
sword.  Andares met du Tournemire’s gaze, and set
his fingers on top of the card’s face.  The air
thrummed with energy.  Andares’s face went slack,
and he fell to his knees. “Much better, slave,”
du Tournemire crooned and patted the black-haired
Åelf on the head. “Now remove all the rest of your weapons.”
         Andares touched his cuffs, and from each
withdrew long slender needles.  These he dropped
on the floor at the Marquis’s boots.  He then
reached for his collar, and undid the buttons at
his neckline.  His fingers slipped gently beneath
the cloth, and withdrew two small daggers. From
his boots he produced a large hook and a sliver
of thin rope.  And out of his belt a curved dagger.
         “Krenek, did you search him or were you
betting which of these he’d use first?” The
Marquis shuffled his boot through the pile and
laughed to himself. “That is my deck, and now it
is nearly complete.  But there is someone here
who does not belong.  Let us see.” He took the
two steps to stand before the second Åelf who
watched everything with a sorrowful expression on
his brow. “It is you.  You are not in my deck.”
         Qan-af-årael shook his head. “No, I am not.”
         Du Tournemire stared at him for a very
long time.  His smile faded until it was replaced
with intense scrutiny.  The Keepers breathed and
watched, but could do little else.  James’s
hooves were still firmly planted, his brand still
smoking.  Lindsey still held the brand, unable to
let go of it.  Charles couldn’t even shift into
his normal two-legged stance, all of them were
frozen where the Marquis had left them, as if
they were but toys that he arranged.
         The Breckarin guards had long been
uncomfortable in the presence of the Keepers,
even more so near the Marquis.  Now they quailed
and shifted as far away as they could   Even Duke
Schanalein looked wary as he squirmed on his
throne.  They were in the presence of two giants,
creatures of unimaginable power and presence.
         “You are very interesting,” the Marquis
finally admitted.  He took a step back, and
rubbed his thumbs together. “I can see more power
in you than I have ever witnessed in any
other.  Yet you do nothing.  You can destroy my
deck and wreck the power that I possess if you
choose.  And you stand here and watch me fill
your friends with pain.  I will admit that your reticence makes me curious.”
         Qan-af-årael folded his hands before
him, and lowered his eyes. “You see a great deal,
but your eyesight will always be clouded by
Marzac.  I do not possess the fire needed to
destroy those cards without also destroying those
within them.  How many do you hold in that deck?”
         The Maquis clasped his hands together
and rocked back on his heels. “A great many know
the power in the cards.  But how do you know you
cannot harm the cards without harming those in
them?  What if the cards were destroyed, wouldn’t
that free them?  Why don’t you try and find out?”
         “You play games at this hour, but why?”
Qan-af-årael stood taller, old eyes narrowed.  He
studied the Marquis as an alchemist might study
an ingot. “You lurked in the shadows for so long, why reveal yourself now?”
         Frowning, the Marquis let go of his
cards and crossed his arms. “Because I no longer
need to hide.  I have already won.  Surely you
can see that.  All you remain are frayed ends to
be bound.  Those who would reveal my secrets... are free to do so!”
         Charles, no longer feeling the
compulsion from the Marquis’s cards, glanced once
at Agathe, and then snapped, “And before, those
who sought your secrets were killed?”
         “I have killed no one,” the Marquis
admitted with a sly grin. “Though many of you sorely tempt me.”
         “Your wizards have!” Charles replied,
hoping the Marquis would allow him to continue
speaking. “Zagrosek killed Patriarch Akabaieth,
and if I’m not mistaken, Agathe killed Wessex!”
         The Marquis rolled his eyes and took a
card from the deck. “I do not believe I was
talking to you.  Learn your place, statue.”
Charles’s body became immobile again, but at
least he’d uttered what he’d wanted.
         “But yes,” the Marquis continued,
“Agathe did kill that silly little mage.” He
stepped over to the nearly naked Runecaster and
traced one finger under her chin. "A very nasty
invocation she laid upon his corpse I might
add.  But this is growing tiresome.”
         He stalked back to Qan-af-årael and
gazed into his stony countenance. “You will do
nothing then?  Very well.  My victory is
assured.” He turned and stared at the man on the
throne. “Duke Schanalein, I want all of them
placed in your dungeons.  Separate cells
naturally.  Agathe will cast magical wards to
prevent them from escaping.  You only need keep
them here until the Solstice.” He glanced at the
Keepers again, and then smiled. “I will leave
Agathe with you, in case that hawk ever turns up.”
          Duke Schanalein rose to his feet, brows
furrowed. “Are you leaving us so soon, your grace?”
         “I am.” The Marquis held out his hands
and the cards fell from the air into an orderly
deck in his palms. “My carriage leaves within the
hour.  Zagrosek will accompany me.  I have but
one thing left to do, and it can only be done at
the Chateau.” He turned back to Qan-af-årael.
“That is why I no longer fear you.  All the times
you could have stopped me are past.  Even if you
somehow escape and come to Marzac, you will be
corrupted too.” He grinned wide and then turned to Zagrosek. “It is time.”
         Zagrosek nodded and followed him as du
Tournemire left through one of the doors at the
rear of the throne room.  The Keepers could do
nothing but stand and wait, still held fixed by
the Marquis’s will.  Once the Marquis and
Zagrosek was gone, Agathe bent and lifted her
purple robe over her shoulders again.  She turned
her face on them, her empty socket blazing with
fire. “Duke Schanalein, if your guards would
escort them to the dungeons, I will follow and make sure they do not escape.”
         The Duke of Breckaris nodded and shouted
the order.  As one, the Keeper’s legs
moved.  Qan-af-årael kept his gaze fixed upwards,
as if contemplating a starry sky that only he could see.

----------

         Kurt was already late when he arrived at
the nunnery.  His captain was expecting him back
at the barracks, but that was one place he
wouldn’t be showing his face at tonight.  Or at
least if he did he was going to need a very good excuse.
         The Breckarin nunnery was built on a
rise in the labourers district.  The cloister
walls were at least a dozen feet high, and Kurt
could hear the chirping of birds nesting in its
crenellations.  The only entrance was through a
pair of wrought iron gates fashioned like the
branches of the yew.  The keystone bore the emblem of Yahshua’s crucifixion.
         Kurt waited at the gate for only a
minute before one of the nuns came to see who it
was.  The nun was several years his senior, but
still possessed the gentle beauty of youth.
“Sister Lucy, Yahshua’s grace be with you.”
         She smiled, made the sign of the yew,
and unlatched the gate. “Yahshua’s grace be with
you, Kurt.  Are you here to see Tugal?”
         “Aye.  I’m afraid if I wait it will be too late.  Please hurry!”
         Lucy hastened to open the gate.
“Reverend Mother says she is recovering well, but
she still has nightmares.” She swung the gate
open and Kurt bounded through.  He then grunted
and bounced from one foot to the other as Lucy
latched the gate behind him.  Once finished she
led him down into the complex of close-knit
buildings.  The sound of women’s voices united in song hung over everything.
         “She did not know there were people who
lived their lives for others, and she had never
heard of Yahshua!” Lucy marvelled as they
ascended a cramped staircase.  Kurt kept one hand
on his sword to keep the scabbard from scraping the wall.
         “Then we’ve done two good things,” Kurt
replied.  The stairs ended in a half-open
doorway.  Beyond was a small room with a window
too narrow to fit even a child.  The room had a
pallet with linens, a crucifix upon one wall, and
two chairs.  The Mother Superior, in full
cassock, sat in one.  In the other, dressed in
dark leggings and a loose tunic was Tugal.  She
saw them enter, and while she did not smile, her features softened.
         “Reverend Mother, Kurt is here to see
Tugal,” Sister Lucy almost whispered, waiting
just inside the doorway but not passing through.
         The nun turned and smiled a weathered
face to both of them. “Thank you, Sister.” Then
to Tugal she asked, “Is there anything else I can do for you, dear one?”
         “No, Reverend Mother,” Tugal replied,
her voice firm, but lacking the acid Kurt
remembered from their first meeting.  Then, as if
only now recalling it, she added, “Thank you.  I will call if I need anything.”
         The Mother Superior rose, gently patted
Tugal on the shoulder, then held out her hand.
“Sister, could you aid me down the steps?”
         “Of course, Reverend Mother!” Lucy
slipped one arm under her shoulders and guided
her out the door.  Kurt stood aside to give them
room.  Once they were on the stair, he closed the door behind them.
         “You’re looking better, Tugal.  How are
you feeling?” He waited for her to invite him to
sit, and even then, he continued to fidget.  The
news he had was too important to wait, but he had
to remain courteous if he wanted her help.
         “Better.  I do not sleep well, but
Reverend Mother’s prayers have helped.  I never
knew... so many things.” Distance filled her eyes
momentarily, but she turned to Kurt and stared at
him. “And you Kurt?  I have not seen you in many days.”
         Kurt grunted. “I know.  Bishop Hockmann
sent us into the woods under Zagrosek and
Agathe’s command.” At the Runecaster’s name,
Tugal flinched. “We just returned today, with a band of Keepers.”
         Shock filled her face. “Keepers?  The beastmen of Metamor?”
         “Aye, we took them prisoner.  The
Marquis wanted them.  I watched him interrogate
them.  It was... horrible.” Kurt had to close his
eyes and utter a quick prayer to cast those vile
images from his mind. “But from what you told me,
I think these are the same Keepers she had you
chase through the Barrier Mountains.”
         Tugal licked her lips and gripped her
knees.  Her eyes looked down into Kurt’s lap, but
for a time, she didn’t really see him.  Kurt
shuffled his feet for a moment, waiting for her
to come back.  The few other times they had
spoken, this had also happened, and he’d learned
there was no use calling to her until she wanted to speak again.
         It took her at least a minute to lift
her eyes, but when she did there was anger
burning in them. “Everyone I thought was my
friend lost their lives chasing those
beastmen.  That woman killed several of them
because we failed.  Why she left me alive, I
don’t know.  And now they’re here as prisoners?”
         Kurt nodded. “The Marquis ordered my
father to keep them in the dungeons.  He left
Agathe to make sure they do not escape.  Zagrosek
and du Tournemire have already left Breckaris,
and I don’t think they mean to come back.  This is our chance, Tugal.”
         Her eyes narrowed. “Chance for what?”
         “To break my father free!” Kurt’s whole
body hummed with excitement at the possibility.
“If we free the Keepers, they might help us
defeat Agathe and break whatever spell has been
placed over my Father.  You can have your revenge on her!”
         “Revenge?” she said the word as if it
were ash upon her tongue. “The revenge I want is
to make the bastards who raped me know my pain.  But they are all dead now.”
         “You said she did nothing to stop them.”
         Tugal mulled that for a moment before
replying, “The Sisters here have told me of
Yahshua, who forgives all our sins.  It is such a
remarkable thing, to know that he suffered like
the rest of us, and did it out of love.  Would I
have ever heard of him if I had not followed her
and suffered Metamor’s curses?” She fell silent again, her face confused.
         Kurt leaned forward gently. “I don’t
know.  But I do know that nobody deserved to
suffer the way I saw those Keepers suffer.  The
Marquis has fouled everything he touches, and he
controls my father the Duke.  Agathe is his
willing servant, or perhaps she is a slave like
my father.  Either way, I think if we free the
Keepers, we can break the Marquis du Tournemire’s hold on this land.”
         He lowered his eyes for a moment, then
lifted them and stared directly into hers.
“Tugal, I need your help to do this.  I can’t ask
any of the other soldiers, because they wouldn’t
understand.  Nor would they be willing to cross
Agathe after what they saw her do.  I was hoping
you would help me in this one thing.”
         Tugal looked away for a moment and put
her knuckles against her teeth.  A shudder passed
through hr body. “I’ll need a weapon.”
         “I can get you one, but the guards are
my father’s men, and some may be my friends.  I don’t want them killed.”
         Tugal sneered, and the way her eyes met
his, Kurt felt like a child all over again. “I
won’t need it for them!” Her gaze softened and she asked, “When do we do this?”
         “Once dusk falls in a few hours.  I know
how to get into the dungeon, bu we’d never get in during daylight.”
         Tugal rose to her feet, hands clenched
in fists. “Then we have no more time to waste.  I
must thank the Mother Superior before I
leave.  And I think... yes, I know I want to pray.”
         Kurt decided that sounded like a very good idea.

Ut Prosim