[Mkguild] Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XXXIII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Mar 29 10:06:28 CST 2007

Chapter XXXIII

Leaving Yesulam

         The sun was sliding towards the western
horizon when Nemgas and Kashin returned to the
small passage adjoining the Great Cathedral.  It
was hidden behind a wall, and only thin arrow
slits allowed the day’s light to penetrate the
gloom.  The two men smiled faintly on seeing each
other, then waited to make sure no one was nearby that might overhear them.
         Kashin leaned next to one of the slits,
playing his fingers through the shaft of light
slanting into the corridor. “It seems the Yeshuel
do not know of Jothay’s disappearance.”
         “Didst thou speak with them?” Nemgas asked incredulously.
         “Nay,” Kashin replied, letting his
fingers fall from the light. “But if they knew,
they would have spoken of it.” He grimaced and
rubbed his fingers into his palm. “Still, it was
a terrible risk even listening to them.  I know
them, trained with them.  One wrong step and they
would have found me.  We do not need that just yet.  What did you learn?”
         Nemgas leaned against the other wall,
running his one hand through his dark hair. “Our
things hath been put in the armoury as Czestadt
didst say.  ‘Twill not be difficult to steal them
back, but ‘twill take several hands.” He let his
arm fall to his side where his fingers began to
drum against one leg. “The Driheli hath been
asking the constables about Czestadt.  He wilt
not be able to return quietly.  There shalt be questions asked.”
         Kashin grunted. “I was afraid of that.
But there will be questions still when he sends
the Driheli back to Stuthgansk.  And even if
Jothay’s absence isn’t noted yet, it will be.”
         “Nay,” he smiled as a Magyar
would.  Kashin could see a plan forming behind
those eyes, one that he himself would not have
considered. “There be a way.  I hath also seen to
his things, afeared his guards might talk.  But
his retinue be no more.  I fear we know where the
Blood Bound didst come from now.”
         “His own men,” Kashin felt a turning in
his stomach.  Jothay had turned his Eaven
servants into creatures of death and
corruption.  How twisted had that sword made his
mind? “But he will still have Ecclesian guards.  All Bishops have them.”
         “And he didst keep them outside his
chambers,” Nemgas replied. “I listened to them,
but they had nothing to say.  That their master be dead art unknown to them!”
         Kashin nodded thoughtfully. “So what are
you suggesting then?  A charade?”
         “A masquerade,” Nemgas replied, his grin
showing all his teeth. “Jothay hath a carriage
that he used little.  We Magyars will take the
carriage and lead it out of the city ere
tomorrow’s dawn.  In the night, with the right
clothes, ‘twill appear that we art men of
Eavey.  We shalt tell the guards that Bishop
Jothay hast undertaken a pilgrimage and wilt
return ere long.  Ere anyone learns different, we wilt be far to the north.”
         “Aye,” Kashin began to smile. “That
might work.  And those who would have reason to
suspect ill are exactly the sort of people we
want to reveal themselves.  Once Berkon is able to be moved, do it.”
         Nemgas nodded. “And the Driheli?”
         “Czestadt will need to do what he can to
keep word about where he really was from
spreading.  And Sir Petriz...” Kashin let his
hand pass into the shaft of light.  Weird shadows
flickered across the bare clay floor and wall.
“You aren’t planning on taking him back to the Steppe are you?”
         A bitter laugh escaped Nemgas’s throat.
“‘Twould be a mistake.  Few be the men who
wouldst not be good Magyars.  He be one of
these.  There be no better place for him than
where he be.  E’en when I didst threaten to make
a Magyar of him I knew ‘twould be
useless.  Unless I tricked him with a matter of
honour, he would let himself die first.  And e’en
then, he wouldst fight us until he died.”
         Nemgas sucked in his breath and shook
his head. “Yet I still think fondly of him.  He
be a good man, and wilt be counted a friend of the Magyars.”
         “Not something that can be said of
many.” Kashin knew this clearly.  He still had
all of Nemgas’s memories.  At least, all of them
up to when Jothay struck them with Yajakali’s
blade.  For so long, he’d lived as that presence
at the back of Nemgas’s mind.  Not having the
Magyar’s spirit so comfortingly nestled against
his own made him feel empty, drained.  And now, his mirror was leaving.
         “I suppose this will be the last time we
shall have alone together, perhaps ever,” Kashin
said. “It is odd, but in a way I wish it were not so.”
         “Thou couldst come with us,” Nemgas
suggested. “After thee hast thy vengeance.  I wouldst ne’er deny that of thee.”
         “Nay,” Kashin replied, his voice fading
to a mere whisper. “My place is here.  Yours is
on the Steppe.  We cannot change that.”
         “Then we hath nothing to gain from
pondering it.  Thou art a Yeshuel.  I be a
Magyar.  I dost not know how it came to be,
whether thou art a reflection of me, or I be a
reflection of thee, but it be what it be.  And
perhaps we wilt see each other again.  Mayhap
thou wilt join us by our fires and dance and sing
with us for a night or two.  I fear we Magyars wilt not be seen in Yesulam.”
         Kashin chuckled lightly and shook his
head. “I understand that.  Maybe one day it will
come to pass.” He glanced through the narrow slit
at the afternoon sky. “Dusk will not be long in
coming.  We should return below and get a little more sleep before we part.”
         His companion nodded and turned to lead
the way. “There be a custom amongst my people
that thou dost know well, Kashin.  Before old
friends part, there must be a feast, song and
dance.  I fear we have but grains to eat, and
little room to dance, but our voices all work fine.”
         Kashin followed him down the passage,
the weariness in his heart lifting. “Aye, they
will at that.  One last song before we say goodbye.”

----------

         With only a few hours until dawn, they
knew they could wait no longer.  When Nemgas and
Kashin returned, they began fashioning stretchers
from the linens and wine racks.  Sir Czestadt
insisted on having a pair of crutches that he
could use once they reached the surface, but
given the age of the wood, they would serve him
for a day at best before breaking.  After their
work was complete, they ate and sung songs of
parting.  Even the Questioners sang when they
learned the words, though most of the time they hummed tunelessly.
         Then, after a few hours of sleep, the
strange group of allies left the subterranean
storage chamber.  With Berkon and Czestadt
carried on the stretchers, they were able to make
good time through the catacombs.  No longer did
the mouldy walls and silent tombs hold any horror
for them.  They were remnants of ages past that
were truly gone.  They could bring only reflection; never harm.
         When Kashin brought them to a stop,
they’d reached a narrow chamber occupied by a
large stone bier decorated with a sword and a
yew.  It was wide enough for both Berkon and
Czestadt to be laid side by side.  Father
Kehthaek stared in awe as he drank in the
articulate engravings covering each wall.
         “This is the tomb of Sir Bearn,” he
whispered, eyes wide like a plainsman seeing the
mountains for the first time. “How could we have let it be forgotten?”
         “It has not been.  Every Yesbearn makes
a pilgrimage here,” Kashin said as he helped
lower Czestadt on top of the bier. “As do a few
Yeshuel.  They do not talk of it, for seeing the
tomb of the first knight who gave his life for a
priest is part of why they are so
dedicated.  They fear not living up to Sir
Bearn’s example, so to speak of the pilgrimage is to admit shame.”
         Kashin regarded the runes chiselled into
the head of the bier, pondering the knight’s
sacrifice for a moment. He’d been ready to give
his life for the Patriarch’s, but in the end he’d
lived and Akabaieth had been slain by the very
sword that hung from his hip.  His flesh grew
cold and he shook the bitter memories from his
mind. “But that is not why we are here.”
         Father Akaleth, who had joined Kehthaek
in examining a wall marred by hundreds of hands,
turned and asked, “Why are we here?”
         “We are here because it is
convenient.  And because it is only a short ways
to both the barracks where the Driheli are
staying, and the courtyard where Jothay’s
carriage is waiting.” Kashin put his hand on the
bier and looked first to the Magyars.  They
huddled in quiet anticipation on the other side
of the sepulchre. “We will wait here a few
minutes to recover our breath, then Nemgas and I
will lead the Magyars to both places.  Kaspel,
Chamag and I will head for the carriage; we’ll
take Berkon with us and ready it to
leave.  Nemgas will lead the rest to the armoury
in the barracks where their things have been
taken.  They will reclaim them and then join us at the carriage.
         “Once the Magyars are all safely out of
Yesulam, I will rejoin the rest of you here.”
         “And we are to wait here?” Akaleth asked
with only a vague hint of irritation.
         “It is necessary.  But when I return we
will help Sir Petriz and Sir Czestadt reach the barracks.”
         “And then we will go to Jothay’s
quarters,” Kehthaek announced. “I want to learn
who else in Yesulam aided his treachery.”
         For a moment, no one spoke.  They stared
at each other and the scroll work depicting Sir
Bearn’s life and death.  The walls of stone bore
a sombre bronze glow in the lamplight, as if they
stood in the presence of the setting sun.  Their
faces, unshaven and haggard, still blossomed with the relief they all felt.
         “I doubt,” Father Akaleth began, “that I
shall ever see you again.” He turned to the
Magyars and smiled. “Thank you for tending me and
trusting me when I needed it most.  I will always
say a special prayer for you, every day I still draw breath.”
         “‘Tis most gracious of thee,” Gamran
replied, a mischievous grin splitting his face.
“Thou art a decent sort thyself, when thou be not
creepy.” The Magyars laughed, and strangely enough, so did Akaleth.
         “Thank you,” Sir Petriz added, “for your
word keeping.  Forgive us for the mistake we
made.” It was the best Galendish they had ever
heard from the knight.  From the look of
concentration on his face, they could all see how genuine it was.
         “I hath no more enmity for the Driheli,”
Nemgas said, extending his hand to
Petriz.  Without hesitation knight and Magyar
clasped hands. “May it always be so.”
         “May it always be so,” Petriz echoed,
smiled, and for a moment it appeared they would
embrace.  But there was a hardness still in their
eyes.  Forgiveness had been granted, but there
was pain still on both sides.  Wordlessly, they
parted, with Nemgas heading for the exit.
         “‘Tis time we went our separate
ways.  Ja!” Without further word or gesture he
left, followed by most of the Magyars.
         “And time for us too.  I will return
soon,” Kashin told the knights and priests before
helping Chamag and Kaspel lift Berkon from atop
the bier.  In the passage outside, Nemgas’s footsteps were already receding.

         The armoury proved to be a well-stocked
storehouse filled with numerous blades, both
straight and curved, and various armours, from
one set of decorative full plate standing by
itself on a raise plinth to an assortment of mail
and toughened leather vests.  Along one wall was
an arrangement of pikes, halberds, glaives, and
staves, followed by another collection of axes,
maces and flails.  In the centre of the long hall
were several unstrung bows, standing next to a
row of crossbows.  Deposited in leather quivers
next to each bow were the arrows; some of them
came to wicked points while others were hooked and barbed.
         The Magyars gaped at the wealth of
weaponry quietly waiting for them to peruse.  The
Yeshuel passages had led them to a secret
entrance behind a tapestry of the Holy Mother
with the Yahshua child.  There were several empty
cabinets in the rear of the armoury, and into two
of them their equipment had been placed.
         Predictably, Gamran went immediately for
the decorative suit of armour.  His eyes sparkled
with the topaz inset in the breastplate, and he
drew out his dagger greedily.  Nemgas put his
hand on the little thief’s shoulder and held him firm.
         In a hushed whisper, Nemgas hissed, “We
hath too much to carry to take anything else.”
         “Not e’en a single stone?” Gamran
whined, eager hope and disappointment flashing across his eyes.
         “Not e’en a single stone,” Nemgas
replied.  Actually, one stone would be fine, but
he knew Gamran would not be able to stop there.
“We must find the kitchens and steal a few things
there, so restrain thyself a moment more.” When
the little thief nodded, Nemgas turned to see
both Pelgan and Gelel handling the curved daggers hanging near the swords.
         Though there were no guards in the
armoury, there would be at least a pair
outside.  Nevertheless, Nemgas growled loudly
enough that his friends heard and quickly put the
daggers back.  A moment later, they and the other
Magyars were busy reclaiming all of their
belongings from the closets.  Satisfied, Nemgas
picked up one of the smaller curved blades and slid it into his belt.
         He didn’t plan on using it himself, but
it would be a shame if he returned to the wagons
without stealing something for his boy Pelurji!
         “‘Tis everything,” Amile whispered.  She
hoisted the travel pack on her shoulders almost effortlessly.
         Nemgas opened the secret entrance,
making sure to keep his stolen dagger out of
view. “Ja!  We must find the kitchens.  We shalt
need food and something to cook it in if we art to survive!”
         Gamran muttered, though he still smiled.
“Good.  I hath missed thieving!”
         They all quietly laughed at that.  A
moment later, they were through the doorway and
moving down the secret passages again.  It would
not be long now, just one more errand before they could leave.

         “‘Tis quiet,” Chamag noted as he stared
across the wide courtyard.  They stood in a small
alcove leading up from the sewers with Berkon’s
stretcher carried on their shoulders.  Before
them was a dark courtyard with various stone
structures arrayed along the high walls.  A
gatehouse towards the North was the only passage
out for the carriages.  Against the southern wall
was the line of carriages, none of which were
attended.  Behind them were broad staircases
leading up to St. Kephas’s Cathedral.  Guards
stood watch at the gatehouse and the towers, but they were looking out not in.
         A waning crescent had just risen, but
was still too low in the sky to cast any light
into the courtyard.  Kashin gestured with his
stump at the southern wall. “Jothay’s carriage is
the fourth in the line.  Follow the wall.”
         Chamag first glanced at each watchtower,
then he stepped from the alcove out onto the
brick esplanade.  Berkon groaned atop the
stretcher, but only briefly.  When they all stood
beneath the expanse of stars, their nervousness
increased.  No longer were they hidden by tons of
rock on all sides, but stood exposed to all the
heavens.  Any joy they felt at seeing the sky for
the first time in two days was muted.
         The Ecclesia carriages were large enough
for a Bishop and his retinue to travel in
relative comfort.  Seats were placed in front and
back for guards to ride if they passed through
unsettled lands.  Along either side the Ecclesia
yew was carved next to the heraldry of each
Bishop’s land.  The symbol on Jothay’s carriage
was of a river winding through a forest with
strange trees.  The city of Eavey was built along
a wide river that cut through the largest forest
in Sonngefilde, and their heraldry reflected that.
         When they reached that carriage, the
courtyard was as quiet as it had been
before.  Kashin let Kaspel take the stretcher’s
other pole while he drew open the rear
entrance.  He climbed inside and turned to help
them hoist Berkon in.  The interior was dark, and
he kicked his shin against something as together
they lifted the injured Magyar within.
         Once they’d set the stretcher down in
the centre of the carriage, Chamag lit their
lantern and set it inside. The carriage was a bit
narrower than most Magyar wagons, but it was also
longer.  On one wall of the rear was a single
bed, with storage cabinets set above the
mattress.  The other wall had room for a writing
desk, though there were no quill or ink anywhere
to be seen.  The front of the carriage had a
table at which to eat and several more beds, these far more cramped.
         “Now what?” Kaspel asked as he scanned
what would be their home until they could find the other Magyars again.
         Kashin stretched, loosening muscles that
had tightened from carrying injured men for the
last few hours. “Let’s put Berkon on the bed
here.  There should be uniforms in one of these
drawers.  You will both need to change.”
         Chamag appeared appalled at the suggestion. “Why must we do that?”
         “We need to collect horses from the
stables at the other end of the courtyard.  You
must look like Ecclesia soldiers.”
         “‘Twill take more than uniforms to do that!” Chamag grunted.
         Kashin nodded. “So let’s get to work then, shall we?”

         The uniforms they found were all too
small for the burly Chamag.  The closest in size
could not be laced around his shoulders or neck,
and so he sat at the front of the carriage while
Kaspel went by himself to the stables to procure
a quartet of horses.  Fortunately, the ostlers
were not inquisitive and only a few minutes later
the archer returned with four sable mares.
         Together, Kaspel and Chamag hitched the
horses to the carriage, and stored the bag of
feed the ostler had helpfully provided in the
carriage for later.  Kashin, who felt it wiser
that he not be seen, stayed with Berkon while the
other two Magyars worked.  He’d fallen asleep
again, so Kashin took a moment to examine his wounds.
         The scars on his chest had scabbed over
completely, and looked well on their way to
healing.  His thigh wound had stopped bleeding at
least, though he could still smell the acrid
scent of the poultice.  Kehthaek had redone the
bindings one last time before they’d left, and
the priest had sounded hopeful about the Magyar’s condition.
         There was nothing that Kashin could see
different, so he draped a linen blanket over
Berkon and let him sleep.  He turned to see
Kaspel and Chamag climbing back into the
carriage. “We hath the horses ready,” Kaspel said, his body tense. “How be he?”
         “Berkon is as well as can be
expected.  Now where are the others?  They should have been here by now.”
         Chamag grunted and turned back around.
“I shalt wait for them outside.”
         It was another fifteen minutes before
Chamag came back inside.  Nemgas was behind him,
a sullen grin marring his features. “I dost
apologize for the delay.  But we didst need some
fresh supplies for the journey.”
         Kashin waved him and the other Magyars
in. “Then get them inside and let’s get
going.  We’ve barely two hours til dawn.”  Nemgas
stood out of the way while the rest brought in a
small set of cooking pots as well as sacks of
potatoes, grains, a few jars of honey, flour, and
a few other tidbits that certainly had not been
with their things in the armoury.
         “I see you finally got to do a
thieving,” Kashin remarked sourly to Gamran who was grinning from ear to ear.
         “Aye! And had that maid come a minute
later, I would have stolen her heart too!”
         Amile swatted the back of his head. “And
I shalt tell Thelia of that, rogue!”
         Gamran pressed his hands to his chest
and smiled winsomely. “Wouldst thee?  I so adore her when she be cross!”
         The other Magyars began to laugh at this
little show.  Even Kashin’s lips broke into a
grin.  Nemgas saw it and patted him on the
shoulder. “Art thee certain that thee wishes to stay here?”
         The question was only in jest, but it
brought Kashin’s mind back to the present. “Aye,
and we have little time to waste.  Kaspel,
Chamag, start us out the gatehouse.  I’ll guide
you to the city gate from there.  Everyone else,
stay quiet and stay out of sight.” He no sooner
spoke than the Magyars became as hushed as the tombs from which they came.

         As the crescent moon rose in the sky,
the city of Yesulam slowly began to wake
up.  Lamps were lit in homes, and the chanting of
priests as they sung early mass could be heard
drifting along the cool desert air.  Already
lamplight wagons were moving street by street to
clean up refuse left in the gutters.  Somewhere
in the distance was the sound of a hammer striking an anvil.
         Of those few who were moving about the
city streets at that early hour, none took notice
of the Ecclesia carriage as it rolled
past.  Kashin sat just out of sight behind the
two drivers, Chamag and Kaspel.  The guards at
the gatehouse had not even looked at them, and so
far their luck was holding.  They had passed from
the heart of the city and now made their way
towards the northern gate through the labourer districts.
         This part of the city was on a lower
plateau overlooking the Yurdon River, and also
was on the lower end of the sewage.  There was a
noticeable odour that clung to their skin as they
passed.  The residents were not as poor as
workers in other cities would be, but they still
could not afford the fragrances that the
merchants and the clergy used to mask the stink of civilization.
         Kashin watched with a heavy heart as he
recalled not just the ramshackle homes, but also
the people who lived in them.  Part of a
Yeshuel’s training was to be an example for the
Ecclesia, and that meant showing charity to the
poor.  He had many months to catch up on, and he
wondered with whom he should start.  The family
in that one home with the blue door had a lame
child; how was he doing?  And their neighbour’s
roof appeared to be sagging dangerously.  Could it be fixed?
         “Where now?” Kaspel asked
quietly.  Kashin peered past him and saw that the
street forked with both roads heading towards the
walls.  Soon they would pass beneath another gate
and the last section of the city before the city
wall.  It was empty, but designed to repel an
invading army, if ever things should grow so
dire.  The city guard routinely had to rustle squatters from the barren ground.
         “Left.” Kashin shifted a bit closer.
“The guards at the gatehouse will wave us
through.  But I will need to disembark before we
reach there.  The road will lead to the curtain
wall.  They shouldn’t ask you any questions, but
if they do, you are taking Bishop Jothay north to
Marilyth.  If they pry further, emphasize that it
is the Bishop’s business.  They should not pry any further.”
         “And if they ask why we art not of Yesulam?” Chamag asked, uncertain.
         “You would not be the first Flatlanders
to find employment in Yesulam.  They will not
ask.” Kashin patted them on the shoulder as they
followed the left fork.  Very quickly the final
gatehouse came into view around a corner.  It
stood with portcullis raised, waiting like the
yawning mouth of some nightmare beast to swallow
them whole.  Kashin stepped back from the door
and smiled at the Magyars waiting in the lamplight interior.
         “Well, it’s time.  I will keep watch to
make sure you escape safely.  But I need to go now.”
         Both Pelgan and Gamran stood and patted
him on the back and side like old friends.  Amile
hugged him around the middle and gave him a quick
kiss on the nose. “Thou be safe, Kashin of the Yeshuel!”
         Kashin smiled and hugged her back. “And
thee, Amile of the Magyars.  And all of
you.  Gelel, you too.” The youth smiled and they
traded a quick hug too.  Even Berkon, who was
drifting in and out of sleep, managed to wave and smile.
         Standing at the back door of the
carriage was Nemgas.  The one-armed Magyar
regarded the one-armed Yeshuel with brotherly
admiration.  Gone was any hint of sadness or loss
at their parting.  He could only smile. “Fare
thee well, Kashin,” he extended his hand.
         With Nemgas only having a left hand, and
he a right, they could not shake normally.  But
they managed as best they could, before drawing
each other into a tight embrace. “And fare thee
well, Nemgas!  My Brother. T’samut.”
         Nemgas nodded. “T’samut.  Now ja!  Thou hast no time left.”
         “Ja,” Kashin agreed.  He opened wide the
rear door and jumped down to the street.  He
turned and saw Nemgas pull the door shut.  The
carriage continued to roll towards the city
wall.  Kashin darted into a dark alley and made
his way past the carriage to the wall.  There was
a staircase for the guards that he climbed. Once
atop the wall, he crouched against one of the
crenellations and watched his friends.
         As he’d predicted, the guards at the
gatehouse waved them through without asking any
questions.  The four mares drew the carriage into
the wide barren killing field.  The road was
paved with brick and wound down towards the
northern gate.  The brick continued beyond the
gate until it reached the well travelled road to
Abaef along the bluff overlooking the
river.  With luck, in perhaps a quarter of an
hour, the Magyars would be upon it.
         Along the battlements there were a few
guards, but none of them were near the
stairs.  He could hear two of them standing by
the gatehouse talking, but he couldn’t make out
what they were saying.  Kashin pondered moving
closer, but it didn’t seem worth the risk of
being seen.  He needed to make sure the Magyars
were away safely.  Not only to protect them, but
to make Jothay’s disappearance seem
plausible.  Anything to buy the Questioners time.
         It took the Magyars a few minutes to
cross the killing fields of Yesulam.  When they
reached the curtain wall, they were stopped by
the guards.  The city gates were shut for the
night, but the word of a Bishop could open
them.  Kashin said a quick prayer that they would
open now too.  Though in the pale light of the
crescent moon he could not see much, he knew that
the guards were asking the Magyars
questions.  His fingers tightened against the
stone wall, the tips going white.  The seconds
began to pass, more and more, and still the carriage sat there unmoving.
         Kashin started to rise, pondering what
he could do now.  It was taking too long.  Maybe
he could... no wait... the gate was opening!  He
breathed a sigh of relief and slumped against the
stone crenellation.  Already the carriage was
moving out.  He stayed and watched until he’d
lost sight of the Magyars beyond the curtain
wall.  The clanging of the heavy doors as they
shut after the carriage seemed like the closing of a book.
         Kashin took a deep breath, said a prayer
of thanks, and then rushed back down the
stairs.  He had to get back to the
Questioners.  Now it was time for miracle two – reuniting the Driheli!

----------

         While they waited for Kashin’s return,
Sir Petriz listened as the two Questioner priests
discussed the various details of the crypt.  The
name of Sir Bearn was one that he as a knight was
familiar with, but he did not know many of the
details of his life.  Over the course of two
hours he learned how Sir Bearn had begun life as
a peasant but who through effort and good fortune
became a soldier and then a knight serving in the
northern villages of the Holy Land.
         That is until a procurator of the
Suielman Empire decided to put down the fledging
Ecclesia community.  The Suielman soldiers had
first sought to make an example of the
priest.  Sir Bearn found him first and over the
course of a full day single-handedly kept the
Suielman troops out of the home in which the priest had sought refuge.
         In the end, Sir Bearn died, but not
before making the Suielman soldiers so thoroughly
hate their mindless slaughter of the men of Eli
that the priest was spared and the procurator was
chastised by his own government.  Sir Bearn’s
body was brought and interred in Yesulam at the
priest’s request, and from out of his sacrifice
the order of the Yesbearn was created.
         Along the far wall was the name of every
Yesbearn soldier who had been able to make the
pilgrimage.  A chisel and hammer were nestled in
a small recess at the base of the wall, waiting
for the next knight in service to the Ecclesia to
mark their name, hoping that they too would be
counted worthy of Sir Bearn’s martyrdom.
         In fact, when Kashin did return, Sir
Petriz was disappointed that he would not learn
more about this extraordinary man.  He had not
lived to see his thirtieth birthday, but his
example of noble sacrifice in defence of his
faith renewed in Petriz all of the reasons he had
sought to be a knight.  It was not for his own
glory, nor for that of his family.  It was to be
able to serve the Ecclesia, Eli’s Holy Church here in this world.
         And now he would serve her in a way he
had never thought possible; he was going to help
these priests expunge an evil taint that may have
spread throughout the Bishop’s Council.  The very
notion that such a thing could come to pass was
frightening.  If it were possible, how could they
ever trust in the Council again?  Would they
always have to wonder whether the order’s they
were given were holy?  It had been so easy to
simply accept, and to know they did Eli’s will when they drew their swords.
         Now, he wondered how he could ever have that level of assurance again.
         “Are you ready?” Kashin asked in the
southern tongue, looking both to Petriz and to
Czestadt who lay unmoving on the stretcher
resting atop Sir Bearn’s bier. “It is nearly
dawn.  If we are quick, we can bring you to the
Barracks without anyone seeing us.”
         “I am ready.  It will be good to see
them again.” Even as he spoke, Sir Petriz thought
on his squire Karol.  The young man brought him such pride.
         Sir Czestadt lifted one hand and waved
Kashin on. “I will be ready when we
arrive.  Carry me there, and take the stretcher with you when you leave us.”
         Father Kehthaek and Father Akaleth
glided to one side of the bier.  The elder priest
favoured them with a blank expression. “I am not
physically strong enough to assist with carrying
the knight.  Father Akaleth can.  He will help
you carry the front, Kashin, while Sir Petriz takes the rear.”
         “That will be fine,” Kashin replied, and
then gripped one pole in his hand. “Ready?  Lift!”
         Together, the three of them carried Sir
Czestadt from Sir Bearn’s tomb and began the trek
back towards the surface.  The walls were far
cleaner than they had seen below, but the acrid
odour of the sewers began to permeate the
air.  Soon, they had climbed to a basement lined
with old boxes and casks, some of which had once
held ale.  The sound of rats scampering away came
to their ears, but nothing else.
         The cellar led to a staircase and a
hatch.  Father Kehthaek stepped ahead and undid
the clasp, and with a heave managed to swing the
door open.  It landed with a heavy crash, making
all of them wince.  But there was no sound of
rushing boots or raised voices, so after a few seconds they breathed easier.
         The hatch led out to the grounds behind
the barracks.  The stonework on either side was
so tall that they could only see a sliver of sky
above.  It was deep blue, though no stars could
be seen.  Dawn was almost upon them.
         “This is where we leave you,” Kashin
announced in a quiet voice. “Go to the left and
around the front and you’ll be standing near the
gate to the rest of the city.  The barracks where
the Driheli are staying will be across the
courtyard from you.  When the rest of the Driheli
have set sail for Stuthgansk, we will contact you
again to make the rest of our plans.”
         “And until then?” Sir Petriz asked as he
lowered his end of the stretcher to the
ground.  He knelt next to Czestadt to help the knight climb to his feet.
         “You will not be able to find us.”
Kashin’s face was blank as he spoke, but it was
hard not to miss the implication that he did not yet fully trust them.
         Given that their mission had been to
kill Kashin, Sir Petriz could hardly blame him. Nevertheless, it still stung.
         Czestadt pulled the crutches under his
armpits and pushed them against the ground to
steady himself.  Sir Petriz stayed at his side to
keep him from overbalancing. “Contact us when you
are ready,” Czestadt said, his voice hard as it
so often was. “Now leave us to do what we must.”
         Kashin and the two priests collected the
stretcher and climbed back down to the
cellar.  Akaleth pulled the hatch shut, much more
quietly than it had been opened.  They could hear
the clasp lock into place, and then nothing.  Sir
Petriz sucked in his breath and said, “Are you ready, Sir Templar?”
         “Aye, let us not waste any time.”
         Together, the two knights walked around
the tall stone building.  To their right was a
large stone wall, behind which was another
portion of the city.  The building on their left
was likely one of the barracks, but they did not
recognize it from the rear.  It stretched in
front of them a good thirty paces, yet it took
Czestadt several seconds to manage every
step.  He would move one crutch forward, and then
shift his legs between them to keep the weight
off of them, and then pull the second in line
with the first.  And then the process would start all over again.
         By the time they had made it around the
building and out into the courtyard, the sky had
brightened considerably, and the sparkling sliver
of moon had paled into a soft luminescence.  Soon
the sun would shine across Yesulam, and the
dazzling radiance of the golden domes of the
Cathderal would shine like lighthouse beacons.
         The courtyard was empty but for a few
younger soldiers running errands.  Sir Petriz
felt his heart leap into his throat when he
recognized one of them as his own squire.  Karol
was just coming out of the stables when their
eyes met.  Surprise crossed his ruddy features,
and then he laughed and ran towards them in
joy.  Sir Petriz waved, but stayed at Czestadt’s
side even as the young man reached them.
         “Sir Petriz!!” he cried, his voice tight
with relief. “I never thought I’d see you
again!  And master Templar!  How did this
happen?  Where have you been?  What...”
         Sir Petriz held up his hand. “Patience,
Karol.  It is a long story, but you will hear of
it.  I am greatly relieved to be back.  The
Magyars did not harm me, but more on that
later.  The Knight Templar has been wounded and will need a place to lay down.”
         “And I want to meet with the other
knights.  Wake them up and let them know we’ve
returned.  I want them all back in the barracks
by noon.  There is much to discuss.”
         Karol nodded, his body tense with
excitement.  Petriz patted him on the shoulder
and smiled broadly. “Go and get help, Karol.  We’re back now.”
         “Of course, Knight Commander,” Karol
beamed and then rushed off to alert the
others.  Petriz felt his heart swell with pride.

         It was a few hours later that matters
with the Driheli finally settled to the point
that Czestadt could have a rational discussion
with his lieutenants.  The whole barracks was
alive with cheering and Sir Petriz greeted all
his fellow knights with assurances that all was
well for him and that what vengeance was required
had already been meted out.  He would not tell
them of the Magyars, but promised them that one
day he would do so, when he felt comfortable
talking about all he experienced.  This was good
enough for them, as they were simply delighted to
have their fellow knight returned.
         Sir Czestadt was returned to his chamber
sin the barracks, which while not posh, were
reasonably comfortable.  He lay on his bed while
chairs were brought for his men.  His squire
Hevsky brought him wine and fruit, but otherwise
remained quiet.  Around the table before Czestadt
sat knights Petriz, Guthven, Poblocka and
Wodnicki.  In addition to hugging him out of joy
at seeing him again, Wodnicki had complimented
Petriz on the beard he was developing and told him he should keep it.
         “When you disappeared two days ago, we
were all worried,” Guthven reported, running one
hand through his thick red beard. “But to see you
and Commander Petriz returned is a great
relief.  You have not said what happened, but I
assume that you brought the three of us here
because you wish to tell us.  Is this not so?”
         Czestadt was propped up with numerous
pillows, but he still looked tired. “I will tell
you some.  There are several shocking things I
have learned in the last two days, but I cannot
speak of all of them now.  What I can say is that
I am going to be sending you back to Stuthgansk.”
         “Back to Stuthgansk?” Poblocka said in
surprise. “Why?  Is the traitor dead?”
         “Yes,” Czestadt replied. “Only he wasn’t
who we suspected.  This is something that you
must keep secret.  Swear that you will never
again reveal what I am about to tell you.”
         Guthven immediately got down on his
knees and held aloft a yew. “I swear upon this
symbol of my faith that I will never again speak
of what you tell me this day.” Poblocka and
Wodnicki did the same a moment later.
         It was then that Guthven turned to
Petriz and asked, “Will you not swear as well?”
         “I already know what the Knight Templar
refers to.  I was there and have already taken my vows.”
         Czestadt nodded. “Indeed.  The truth of
the matter is this: I was injured by the same man
who slew Patriarch Akabaieth.”
         Guthven stammered for a moment, while
both Poblocka and Wodnicki blanched in
horror.  The red-bearded Guthven leaned forward
and managed to ask, “He was here in Yesulam?  How is that possible?”
         “Because he was allied with Bishop
Jothay of Eavey, the very man that sent us to kill Kashin.”
         Poblocka jumped to his feet. “Nay!  That
cannot be possible!  You are telling us that
Jothay was part of his Holiness’s murder?”
         Czestadt nodded. “I am.  And it is
true.  Jothay had become entangled with an old
and evil magic.  It corrupted him, and it even
now attempts to corrupt the Ecclesia from
within.  That is why Akabaieth was killed, so
that it could continue to corrupt.  We have
struck a blow against it in killing Jothay.  But
there is more work here that I have to do.” He
paused a moment, while the three knights stared
in befuddlement. “Do you doubt my word?”
         Guthven sucked in his breath and shook
his head. “Nay. I would never doubt your word,
master Templar.  It is hard to understand.  But
if magic is involved, then I can believe it.”
         “Good.  Now I need you to take the rest
of the Driheli back to Stuthgansk.”
         “Wait,” Wodnicki said, his hands
shaking. “We can help you here to destroy those
who use magic to corrupt our good priests.”
         “You could,” Czestadt admitted, “but I
fear that with you still here, it will complicate
matters.  Bishop Jothay was our patron.  He is
now dead.  We have no more reason to
stay.  Further, if our enemies think we have done
what they wanted us to do, it will free Sir
Petriz and I from observation.  He and I stay
because we owe a debt.  But that is all.”
         Guthven frowned and gripped his beard
tightly between his fingers. “Why not simply tell
us that we had done what we came to do?  Why tell us these horrible things?”
         “Because you of all the Driheli can
understand them, and still serve faithfully.  I
need men like you in the months and years to
come.  In fact, I need you, Guthven, for
something very important now.  Sir Poznan was
killed, and his office remains vacant.  I am
appointing you to be the new Knight Commander of Bydbrüszin.”
         Guthven’s face flushed with surprise,
and then delight and pride. “Thank you, master
Templar.  I will serve you with honour.  I shall not let you down.”
         “I know.  Tonight we shall celebrate Sir
Petriz’s return, and your elevation.  Tomorrow I
am tasking you with securing transport for our
men, horses, and all of our supplies.  I want the
Driheli out of Yesulam within a week’s time.  Can you do this?”
         Guthven knelt again, lowering his
head.  Sir Petriz smiled as he saw the devotion
there, so like his own. “I will do as you say,
master Templar.  But what of Skowicz, Sir Poznan’s squire?”
         “You will finish his training.  In a
year’s time I have no doubt he will join the
ranks of knight bachelors.  Now get up, and see to it.  I need to rest.”
         Sir Petriz rose with his fellow
knights.  Their faces were a mix of relief and
agony.  It would be so for many days yet, but
perhaps they would all come to a greater
understanding of their duty as knights.  He hoped
and prayed for that very thing.  But now it was
time for good cheer and stories.  He wanted to
hear of their journeys, and perhaps he could tell a tale or two himself.
         Petriz smiled warmly as he and the other
three knights left the Templar to rest.  No
matter how glad he was that he’d been able to
know and assist the Magyars in defeating the evil
Jothay, it still felt wonderful to be home with the Driheli.

----------

         One of the things that Kimberly Matthias
had always loved about the Autumn was the colours
on all the trees.  She was used to seeing the
leaves turn yellow, red, and every shade of
peach.  Many times she had enjoyed taking long
walks through the gardens while the wind carried
those many-hued leaves around her face as if some
secret dancer were courting her.
         While the trees in the gardens of
Metamor had changed colours in a brilliant
autumnal display, only a few of those in Glen
Avery did so.  Most of the trees were coniferous,
so instead of a broad avenue of fallen leaves to
crunch beneath her paws, she was now careful to
wear sandals to keep the many needles that
littered the ground from piercing her toes.
         Still, there were a few reddish leaves
that drifted down from the high treetops.  Each
morning she swept them from the small path
between the roots of the great redwood that she,
her five children, and Baerle her friend and
wet-nurse lived in.  As much as she enjoyed being
inside that wonderful abode, she knew that the
weather would soon turn cold, and so every chance
she had she wanted to enjoy outdoors with her children.
         Charles spent most of his life
outdoors.  It was one way in which she could be closer to her absent husband.
         It had been over three months since she
had last seen him.  But not a day went by that
she wasn’t thinking of him; praying for
him.  Their five children were growing, and
already they had begun to learn words.  Jo, the
village healer, had declared them to be the
mental equivalent of a normal two-year
old.  Kimberly did not have much experience with
young children, but it couldn’t be worse than
five energetic little rats who adored her, and
spent much of their time scampering over everything they could find.
         So getting them out of the house to work
out their energy was a blessing.
         Especially when there was news to hear!
         Earlier in the day, Kimberly and Baerle
had strung up the clothes on a wire between their
tree and a post.  When Caroline the otter had
come to the Glen brimming with news, they had
taken one of the blankets and laid it out on the
ground to sit in comfort.  Baerle brought out
little tea cakes Mrs. Levins had baked a few days
ago, as well as some tea for them to
enjoy.  Caroline had not been able to wait that long to tell her news.
         “Duke Thomas is going to be married!!”
she had squealed, her whole body bouncing with delight.
         “Oh that’s wonderful!!” Kimberly
exclaimed.  Baerle cooed in delight between
running back and forth.  Nearby the five rat
children played with a pinecone nearly as large
as them.  They were pushing it around and
watching it roll.  One of them would get in front
and try to jump out of the way before it clipped
them.  With luck, the worst of it would be a few scratches to tend later.
         “Who is his grace to wed?” Baerle asked
after she brought out the tea.  She settled down,
pouring a cup for each of them.
         Caroline nibbled on the tea cake and
grinned. “Dame Alberta Artelanoth!  Yes, the
knight who became a woman who became a
donkey.  Thomas and she had been seeing quite a
bit of each other since she changed the second time.”
         Kimberly dipped her tea cake in her tea
and nibbled, one eye ever on the
children.  Bernadette was squeaking as the
pinecone rolled across her tail.  Not from pain,
just from surprise.  The boys chased the pinecone
with more energy than she thought she’d ever had.
         “When did he ask her?” It was so
wonderful to hear this good news for the
Duke.  She didn’t know the female knight well,
but that she was also equine seemed to make a
good match.  It was strange, but it just seemed
right that Keepers of nearly the same ‘species’ should fall in love and wed.
         “During the Autumn Festival.  I don’t
know much more about that,” Caroline
replied.  She sipped the tea, her lutrine nose
wrinkling at the warmth. “But he did announce his
new bride at the end of the festival.  He was at
his balcony, speaking to all the assembled
Keepers.  We didn’t know what it was about, not
even Misha knew!  And then, he presented her to
us.  She was standing in the Ivy Causeway,
dressed in this beautiful gown of lavender and
blue silk.  She had a diadem on her brow, and the
most lovely necklace which sparkled in the
light.  I think she was blushing at the attention
and the cheers when he said she was to be his wife.”
         Caroline leaned back, her face waxing
nostalgic for some cherished memory. “She didn’t
look a thing like a knight.  She looked like a
princess.  Strange, but even though she’s a donkey, she looked right for him.”
         “It seems fair that in Metamor, one who
began life as a man, could become a Duchess,”
Baerle remarked with an amused grin. “And it’s
good that she’s a knight.  His grace needs
somebody who knows how to ride a stallion.”
         They giggled at the joke, leaning in
closer.  A few Glenners cleaning the central
square of the village gave them odd looks.  They’d hear the news soon enough.
         “So what happened next?” Kimberly
asked.  She stuck the cake between her teeth and
chewed.  Still as savoury as the day the hedgehog Mrs. Levins had made them.
         “Well,” Caroline continued, “after the
cheers had finally died down, Alberta went back
inside and Thomas told us all of the good fortune
we have had this year.  He reminded us of our
sacrifices to protect Metamor, of how relations
amongst the houses of the Northern Midlands have
never been stronger, and of how we are making
friends in the free lands in the
Giantdowns.  It’s a glorious time to be
alive.  For the first time since the Battle of
Three Gates, it seems like everything is looking up.”
         Caroline looked at Kimberly, and her
smile faded.  She leaned over and set a webbed
paw on Kimberly’s knee. “And we’ll soon have good news about Charles too.”
         “I know.  I pray for it every day.  Have
you heard anything?” Her eyes could not stay on
the otter, but went to her children.  The
youngest, Ladero, had stopped chasing the others
and was coughing, tongue sticking out past his
incisors for a moment.  In that one second,
Kimberly felt ready to spring up and rush to his
side, but then her son caught his breath and
hurried to catch up with his litter-mates.
         Caroline shook her head. “I’m sorry, we
haven’t.  You know we’d tell you if we had.”
         “I know.” Baerle came closer and put one
paw on Kimberly’s shoulder. “Thank you for coming
by today.  Will you be staying long?”
         “A few days,” she said, “Misha wanted me
to go over a few reports with Lord Avery and the Glen scouts.”
         “And to talk with us?” Baerle asked.
         The otter smiled. “Of course.  You
realize Misha was moping for weeks because he
couldn’t go?  I had to take him swimming a few times to help him get over it.”
         “Charles will come back,” Baerle said,
her voice firm.  She hugged Kimberly close. “He loves you too much not to.”
         Kimberly looked to the two women, but
especially the opossum.  In some ways it was a
relief that Charles wasn’t here.  As long as he
was away, she didn’t have to worry about coming
home one day to find her husband and wet-nurse
kissing or worse.  It was true she had given
Baerle permission to pursue him, and it was true
that they loved each other, just as it was true
that Charles deeply loved his wife and would
never do anything to deliberately hurt her.
         But it was also the case that she hoped
deep down that she wouldn’t have to share.  The
women of her home had often shared a
husband.  Some of the women were miserable, while
others seemed even closer to their sister wives.
         Kimberly didn’t want to have to find out which she would be.
         “He’ll come home,” Kimberly said,
feeling strength return to her voice. “I am sure
he misses us just as much as we miss him.  And
the children...” she glanced at them, and smiled
as she saw them pushing the pinecone back up a
small hill.  Their dark eyes were bright with
mischief and fun.  Their tails flicked
energetically back and forth, and their darling
ears turned at every sound.  She loved them so.
         “He hated having to leave them too.”
         Caroline leaned back and finished off
her tea cake. “Well, I suppose I should go make
arrangements for where I’ll stay the next few
days.  I promise I’ll be back soon.”
         Kimberly was about to tell her nonsense
when her head turned.  Ladero was coughing
again.  She turned her ears, but the spell lasted
only a moment.  Relieved, she looked at the Long
Scout and smiled. “Don’t be silly, Caroline.  You
are more than welcome to stay with us while you’re here.”
         “Are you sure?”
         “Of course!  It’ll be nice having another set of paws for a few days!”
         Baerle smiled too. “I can go get a room
ready for you now if you’d like.”
         Caroline churred in delight. “Ah, you
both are so sweet.  Thank you.” She hugged them
both tight and then sat back down on the blanket.
“Well, since I don’t have to go anywhere just
yet, let me tell you what I heard happened after
his grace finished his announcement.”
         “Oh, this I have to hear too!” Baerle said with a wide grin.
         The women all huddled closer and giggled
at the sordid details rumour had conjured
forth.  All the while the children played beneath
the needle-laden boughs of the Glen.