[Mkguild] Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XXXII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Mon Mar 19 17:34:42 CST 2007

Chapter XXXII

Beneath the Dark Sky

         “How much farther?” Amile asked, her
voice weary and thin.  In the gloom of the
ancient catacombs, her words seemed as dry as the
bones they passed. “Berkon’s wound hast opened again!”
         “We’re almost there,” Kashin
replied.  Amongst them all, knights, priests, and
Magyars, he alone was alert.  But until an hour
ago, to some extent he had not even existed.
         Had he a left arm, he would have pointed
ahead.  Instead, he shifted Sir Czestadt’s broken
leg as gently as he could on his right and nodded
down the long hallway.  The walls were old clay,
and in the soft light conjured forth by the
Questioner Father Akaleth, took on the appearance
of rust.  Inset in the wall were stacks of burial
alcoves, most filled with musty skeletons.  Some
still had coins atop the eyesockets.  Even the
little thief Gamran was too exhausted to think about adding them to his purse.
         “There, at the end of the hall,” Kashin
added. “There is a storage chamber the Yeshuel
use but rarely.  We’ll be safe for the night there.”
         “I dost remember it still,” Nemgas
muttered, his voice shaken.  Kashin caught his
eye.  It was like looking in a mirror.  Nemgas
had a lock of white hair that fell to the left,
and Kashin’s fell to the right.  The slight crook
to his nose was there too.  And most visibly,
Nemgas’s right arm ended just above the elbow,
the same place Kashin’s left ceased.
         For eight months, Kashin had been an
unconscious presence in the back of the Magyar’s
mind.  Now they were split, and he knew it would
take both of them some time to adjust.
         “Here we are,” Kashin said, pointing his
stump at an old archway.  Father Akaleth went in
first, bringing a warm radiance to chambers
lightly coated in dust.  The storeroom was small,
with wine shelves, and a few casks of
foodstuffs.  The other side of the room held
boxes of candles and ewers of lamp oil.  Several
more chests were closed, and Kashin knew that
some of them held linens. “Father, check the
chests for linens.  We need to lay Berkon and Sir Czestadt somewhere clean.”
         The priest did as instructed while the
others filed into the chamber.  They were all
quiet, their faces haggard, eyes
drooping.  Luckily, Akaleth found a chest of
linens on the first try.  A few cobwebs clung to
their surface, but otherwise they were
clean.  With Amile’s help, he laid a pair down
flat on the ground.  Grateful, the Magyars set
Berkon down on the first, while Kashin, Nemgas,
and Sir Petriz laid the Knight Templar down on the second.
         “Help me fill these lamps with oil,”
Akaleth said to Amile, handing her one of the
lamps that had been sitting atop the linen chests.
         “But thou dost make light,” she replied,
even as she poured a bit of oil into the lamp.
         For a moment Akaleth ignored her,
focussing instead on lighting the wick with a bit
of flint.  When the flame grew into a warm yellow
radiance, he said, “All things have a cost.  Even this.”
         Kashin glanced at Sir Czestadt briefly
to make sure it was only his legs that were
broken.  Czestadt’s face was twisted with pain,
but there was nothing that splints and rest
couldn’t heal.  He turned to Berkon, about whom
the Magyars were clustered.  Pelgan was
inspecting the wound on Berkon’s thigh where a
Blood Bound had bitten deep into the muscle.  The
bandages were soaked with blood.  His shirt was
also stained red where foul claws had gouged into
his belly.  From Kashin’s vantage, the
lacerations did not look serious, but the leg wound could kill him.
         “How is he?” Kashin asked.
         “We dost need new binding for the
wound,” Pelgan said, his voice tight. “Priest.  Canst thee do aught?”
         Akaleth finished setting the lamps
around the chamber and let his own light fade
away. “I will try.  Father Kehthaek would be
better for this, but he does not know where to find us.”
         “If he art where he shouldst,” Nemgas
pointed out, “then he wilt be where we met ere we
tracked Jothay.” He turned his eyes upon
Kashin.  There was uneasiness in them. “Thou dost know where that be.”
         “Aye,” Kashin replied. “I will go and
bring him here.” He disappeared into the musty
corridor without making another sound.
         Akaleth knelt beside Berkon, gently
pushing Pelgan aside.  His fingers nimbly undid
the bandages around the Magyar’s thigh and
grimaced at the bloody mess.  Berkon’s breathing
was tense, his eyes shut tight.  The wound looked
like an animal bite, and there were places where
the blood still oozed free.  Akaleth frowned as
he saw pustules lining the torn flesh. “I shall
need more of those linens, as well as some
alcohol to clean this.  And give Berkon something to bite for the pain.”
         Nemgas settled down against an empty
wall and watched Amile and Gamran jump up to do
as asked.  His eyes gazed over to the two
knights.  Sir Petriz had removed several long
planks of wood from the top of the wine racks and
was preparing to set Czestadt’s legs.  The man
who had been their enemy lay with eyes staring
emptily at the ceiling. “Chamag, help Sir Petriz.”
         The burly Magyar grunted, gave Berkon a
comforting pat on the chest, and wordlessly rose
to his feet to assist the knight.  Petriz briefly
smiled to him, then his focus returned to Czestadt.
         Nemgas ran the fingers of his left hand
– his only hand – across the stump where his
elbow used to be.  The skin felt tender, as if
he’d left it too close to the cook-fires for a
few hours.  But there was no other sign that he’d
been cut.  Unnerved, he began rolling up his sleeve to hide the end.
         When he’d secured the end of the sleeve
to his satisfaction, he returned his attention to
his friend Berkon. “When didst they wound him?”
         “When he didst fire the arrow that
struck Jothay,” Kaspel replied.  The archer had
removed his belt and placed the tough leather
between Berkon’s teeth. “They took him from below, beasts.”
         “He is not dead,” Akaleth snapped.  The
priest was dabbing the wound with a fresh linen. “Amile, where is the wine?”
         “Forgive me,” she cried as she brought
over a bottle. “The rest hath been emptied!”
         Akaleth held the wine bottle one-handed
and leaned the neck towards Pelgan who crouched
near Berkon’s feet. “Remove the cork, please.”
Pelgan swiftly inserted the tip of a dagger into
the cork.  He gave it several twists before the
cork came free with a sullen pop.
         The Questioner held the bottle over
Berkon’s thigh and looked into the man’s face.
“Are you ready?” Berkon managed to nod his
head.  Pelgan grabbed his legs and held
tight.  Kaspel and Gamran each took an
arm.  Gelel put both his hands on Berkon’s chest,
while Nemgas slid over and sat opposite Akaleth,
holding down the archer’s uninjured leg.
         “Clean the wound,” Nemgas
ordered.  Akaleth pursed his lips and began to
pour the alcohol.  Immediately Berkon bit down
hard into the leather and all of his muscles
tensed.  Gamran nearly lost control of Berkon’s
arm and had to sit on it to keep it
still.  Berkon moaned and tried to scream in
agony as Akaleth rubbed the alcohol throughout
the wound.  He paid special attention to the
pustules, making sure he drained each before
soaking them with wine and gently scrubbing them
clean.  By the time he was finished, the bottle was nearly empty.
         “That should be enough,” Akaleth
announced. He wasted no time in tying a new
bandage in place. “There, that is all I can
do.  Father Kehthaek will be able to do more.  It
really needs a poultice to heal, but I have no skill in those arts.”
         “I thank thee for what thou hast done,”
Nemgas replied, but he could not smile.  He gazed
past the priest and called, “How art Sir Czestadt?”
         “His legs hath been set,” Chamag replied
with a grunt. “He shalt not walk for many moons.”
         “When wants to he will walk,” Petriz
said quietly. “The pain no matter.”
         “Must all Driheli speak such poor
Galendish?” Pelgan muttered so softly, Nemgas doubted any but he had heard it.
         “So what hath we to do?” Gelel asked,
his eyes oddly bright.  The young Magyar was
likely still shaken by what he’d seen that night.
         “Now we must wait for Kashin and Father
Kehthaek.” Nemgas watched Akaleth curl against a
chest to get some sleep. With nothing else to do,
it seemed a good time to ask about the priest’s
strange gift. “Father Akaleth, how didst thee make the light appear?”
         Akaleth closed his eyes and sighed. “It
is something I’ve always been able to do.  I
thought it a thing of evil like magic.  Until
tonight, I had never shown it to another.  I... I
still don’t know what to think of it, but for now
I am happier to have it than not.”
         “For the first time in thy life?”
         “Aye,” Akaleth replied, his lips parting
in a bemused grin. “Probably so.” He shifted and
drew one of the linens over his body. “Wake me when Father Kehthaek gets here.”
         A moment later the small chamber deep
beneath Yesulam was filled with Akaleth’s faint
snoring.  He was joined by Berkon a moment
later.  And though the others all yearned to do
the same, they could do nothing but stare at each
other, waiting but not knowing for what.

         Father Kehthaek had waited until he’d
seen the Sondeckis ship disappear down the Yurdon
river before he’d returned to the underground
passages where he hoped to reunite with his
strange allies.  The minutes had dragged into
hours, and still there was no sign of their
return.  He sat to offer prayers for their safe
return, only because his knees had given out an hour before.
         He also prayed for
Vinsah.  Excommunications were not commonly
undone, and even then it was not easy.  It took
acts of penance and reform on the part of the
petitioner that few men could hope to
achieve.  In the raccoon’s case, what was there
for him to do?  He could hardly recant his
statements considering that many on the Bishop’s
Council had made similar ones in the past.  And
he certainly couldn’t become fully human again
without using magic, one of the reasons for his
excommunication!  No, the reform needed to take
place on the Council, and most especially with Patriarch Geshter.
         That Geshter had gone to Marzac to
perform the exorcism that had been removed from
the archives was more frightening than Vinsah’s
expulsion.  An agent of darkness was working
through the Patriarch to corrupt the
Ecclesia.  It was only by the grace of Eli that more harm had been avoided.
         But this would do Vinsah little good
now.  Kehthaek licked his lips and quietly
prayed, “Holy Father Akabaieth, take my words to
our Lord Yahshua, whom you served faithfully for
many years.  I seek comfort for Vinsah who has
been taken from grace by the Ecclesia he came to
serve.  Yahshua gave us the Ecclesia, and I pray
that it will be preserved for Him.  Please, Holy
Father, pray these things to Eli, our Most High.”
         It was faint, but there was a scuffle as
of a boot a short distance down the corridor.
“Amen,” Kehthaek added, made the sign of the yew
tree before his chest, and then rose to greet whomever had come.
         The figure that emerged from the
darkness into the small alcove was familiar, but
not quite in the way he expected.  He was dressed
in black as if in mourning, with one lock of
white hair falling across his right brow.  His
left arm ended in a stump, and in his right he
gripped the golden Sathmoran blade that Nemgas
had carried.  It looked like Nemgas, but not quite.
         “Father Kehthaek,” the voice spoke with
the familiar accent of one who grew up in
Yesulam. “My name is Kashin.  Our friends wait
below.  Some of us are injured and need your holy touch to mend.”
         Kehthaek hid the surprise.  Kashin had
been the Yeshuel who had survived the attack on
Patriarch Akabaieth.  He had lost his left arm
above the elbow, but according to Nemgas, he had
died upon a strange mountain.  Now what should
have been a ghost was as solid as the walls of the catacombs.
         “Why did they send you?”
         The man frowned and waved the sword
point in the air. “Jothay is dead, but Berkon and
Sir Czestadt were both wounded in the
fight.  Yes, Sir Czestadt is aiding us now.  I
know my appearance is confusing, but we have no
time to delay.  There are injured that need healing.”
         Kehthaek did not give any outward sign,
but he knew that he must go to see to those
hurt.  That Jothay was apparently dead did not
fill him with any joy.  He had hoped, even to the
end, that there might be some way to save the
Bishop of Eavey from the evil of Marzac.  Now that hope was gone.
         “Lead on,” Kehthaek said at last,
drawing his black Questioner robe more tightly
around his chest.  Kashin turned and walked back
the way he came.  Despite the ache in his legs,
the elder Questioner had no trouble keeping pace with the once dead Yeshuel.

         At some point, Sir Petriz also succumbed
to his weariness and dozed as he slumped against
the wall next to the Knight Templar.  Though Sir
Czestadt’s eyes were closed, Nemgas very much
doubted his one-time nemesis was truly
asleep.  The scar where his blade had cut into
Czestadt’s face glowed in the lamplight as if the wound were fresh.
         The Magyars each attempted to sleep with
varying degrees of success.  Berkon’s sleep was
fitful, but at least he did sleep.  Pelgan and
Amile huddled together, but neither seemed to
sleep for more than a few minutes.  Then their
bodies would twitch as if some ghoulish phantasm
was waiting for them in their dreams, and they
would be awake again.  Gamran did not even
attempt to sleep, turning his juggling balls
around and around in his hands to settle his
mind.  Chamag was asleep in one corner, and
Kaspel looked ready to nod off next to
him.  Gelel was far too wound up to sleep, and
was rocking back and forth as he sat, only
because if he’d paced Kaspel would have thrown something at him.
         Though Nemgas was tired, sore, and in
need of sleep, his mind would not allow it.  Ever
since they had escaped the evil temple, his mind
had been focussed on one thing – Kashin.  After
Nemgas had climbed down the strange mountain
Cenziga in the Flatlands, he had always wondered
how it was possible for him to be.  He could
remember growing up amongst the Magyars, learning
all that there was to know amongst his people,
but he could also remember those few weeks when he did not exist.
         When the Magyars had rescued Kashin from
the brutal winter snows of the northern Steppe
last January, Nemgas could no longer remember
being a separate person.  He was bound up with
the Yeshuel, their histories intertwined.  Until
Cenziga, Nemgas may not have existed.  If Kashin
had not gone to the mountain, would Nemgas have
ever been?  It was an unsettling question that he had no answer to.
         Now that Kashin was alive again, Nemgas
could not help but wonder what he was.  Was he
merely a reflection?  Was he the person Kashin
would have been had he been born a Magyar instead
of in Yesulam?  If he and Kashin were seperated,
why did he still have Kashin’s memories?  And now
that Kashin had returned, what was there for Nemgas to do, or even to be?
         There was literally no one alive who
might know the answer to these questions.  Kashin
would be left wondering just as much as
he.  Everyone else who had ever felt the touch of
Cenziga was dead.  The only place where there might be any answers...
         Nemgas lifted his head and gazed at
Gelel, who had slowly rocked his way closer to
the older Magyar.  The boy’s face was full of
confusion and concern, both for Berkon and for
himself.  There was a needful look in his eyes,
and so long as the boy would not ask about
Kashin, anything to distract Nemgas’s thoughts would be welcome.
         “Dost thee wish to say something?”
Negmas asked quietly.  He leaned back and
beckoned him closer with his left hand. “We hath
no other tasks before us now, so thee mayest speak.”
         Gelel nodded and glanced down at Berkon,
and then over at the priest and the two knights.
“The evil man wast killed.  The knights no longer
try to kill us.  Do we hath to stay here still,
or canst we return to the wagons?”
         Nemgas felt a bit of shame.  This boy
was trying so hard to be a man, yet here he was
worried that his fellow Magyars would think him
craven for his homesickness.  They likely felt
the same way, but would not say it out of respect
for Nemgas.  And for Nemgas’s boy,
Pelurji.  Nemgas reached out his arm, hiding the
ache that filled his heart at the thought of the
boy who’d been injured by the Marzac-tainted
dragon.  He hoped that Pelurji was waking even
now, but some small voice in the back of his mind
assured him that it was not so.
         What was worse, that same voice told him
that there was nothing more he could do about it
anyway. “I dost not know, Gelel.  We hath done a
great deal here, but we must see what still needs
doing ere we can decide that.” He leaned in
closer, until their foreheads brushed. “My heart
yearns for the wagons too.  We wilt see them again, I promise thee.”
         Gelel nodded, his face somewhat
crestfallen.  He was about to ask something more
when he looked up in surprise.  Nemgas followed
his gaze and saw two shadows nearing the
archway.  Though he could make out no details, he
knew it was Kashin and Kehthaek as surely as if they were standing next to him.
         “Thou hast found him,” Nemgas said
softly as the pair entered.  Gelel stood up and
backed up a few steps, eyes greeting the
black-cloaked Questioner priest warily.
Kehthaek’s face was distant, and he studied them cautiously.
         “What happened to you?” He asked,
looking first from Berkon and then to
Czesadt.  Sir Petriz began to stir slowly,
blinking sleep from his eyes at the sound of the priest’s voice.
         Kashin slipped past him and swept his
right hand towards the wounded Magyar. “I will
tell you once you have examined Berkon.  He is in
need of Eli’s healing, father.”
         Kehthaek did not nod.  Instead he knelt
down next to Berkon and rested his hands upon the
man’s chest.  Gingerly the fingers probed at the
scratch marks.  After a moment, he said in a soft
whisper. “These will heal soon.”  He then let his
hands slide over the already reddening bandage over the Magyar’s thigh.
         The other Magyars were beginning to stir
now as well.  Kashin sat upon one of the casks of
foodstuffs, the fingers of his one hand tracing
along the rim of a lamp.  He let his shadow fall
across Father Akaleth’s face, and the younger
priest began to blink in irritation.  A moment
later he too stretched and rose from his short nap.
         “This is not good,” Kehthaek announced,
prodding the bandages. “I will need to put a
poultice on this as soon as I can.  It will not heal properly until we do.”
         “Thy touch heals, be not so?” Gamran asked nervously.
         “Some,” Kehthaek replied. “There is a
corruption in this wound that must be drawn out
with herbs and medicines.  Perhaps leeches
also.  I know where to find them.  But until I
have them, there is nothing else I can do.”
         “When can you get them?” Kashin asked.
         “I merely need enter the Questioner
temple.  How long will it take to reach?”
         Kashin frowned for a moment. “It is not
quite an hour’s walk to the temple
cellars.  After that it depends on where in the
temple the medicine supplies are kept.  I can get
you inside the temple basement, and I can help
you avoid the Yesbearn and the few priests who
will be awake at this hour, but you will have to lead me to the medicine.”
         Kehthaek slowly nodded and rose to his
feet. “Father Akaleth, I would like you to
discover what in this chamber can be made
edible.  I will need something to eat upon my return.”
         Akaleth began folding his blanket. “Of
course, father.  May Eli speed your way.”
         Together, Kashin and Kehthaek left
through the archway that only a moment before
they’d entered.  Chamag grunted and laid his head
back down, “I didst wake for that?”  Beside him, Gamran actually chuckled.

         Nemgas was sure neither of how long it
was before Kashin and Kehthaek returned, nor of
how long it had been since any of them had last
been above ground.  The last time they had seen
the sky was when they had been in Jothay’s
quarters.  Sir Czestadt had just beaten the other
Questioner priest Felsah, and then escaped
through a secret passage that led them all to
that malevolent altar.  It had been dusk.  So
much time had passed since then, but they had no
way to know if it was still night, or if dawn had already come.
         After the priest had left with Kashin to
get medicines for Berkon, Nemgas had notched a
candle to help him measure the passage of
time.  If he’d done it right, then each notch
would take a quarter-hour to melt.  It helped
some, but the wick seemed determined to
extinguish itself at the slightest hint of
breeze.  So Nemgas was certain when the two men
returned shortly after the fourth notch was
consumed, more than just an hour had passed.
         When Kashin crossed under the archway
with a small satchel slung over his shoulders and
a jar of fresh leeches in his hand, most of the
Magyars were asleep.  Nemgas had fallen asleep
briefly at one point and had dreamed of Kisaiya
his betrothed and Pelurji his boy, but he was
awake now.  He rose and loudly scuffed his boots
on the cold clay floor. “Thou hast everything?”
         Kehthaek followed Kashin inside and met
the Magyar’s gaze. “I believe it to be
so.  Prepare for us food to eat.  Dawn is still
hours away and there is much to discuss.” This
surprised Nemgas, but at least he knew now.
         While the others began to stir, Kehthaek
knelt beside Berkon and undid his bandages.  The
pustules Akaleth had drained were back, and
though the flesh had begun to scab, it was still
moist.  Akaleth revealed himself to be awake
already, and at the elder Questioner’s request
for food, he rose from where he reclined to
produce the uncooked grain he’d found. “It is not
much, Father, but it is all we have; we dare not
light a real fire in this place.”
         “It will suffice,” Kehthaek replied.  He
reached into the satchel Kashin had brought and
took out a small knife. “Please place something
between his teeth.” Nemgas took Kaspel’s leather
belt and set it inside Berkon’s mouth.  Akaleth
and Kashin helped the Magyar keep Berkon still
while Kehthaek cut through the pallid
scab.  Berkon’s eyes snapped open, but he did not
tense as badly as before.  He was too weary from the pain to feel anymore.
         Kehthaek artfully opened the wound, and
then using a bit of cloth, drained the pustules
again. “The leeches will suck the corruption from
his wound.  Only then can I make the poultice.”
As he spoke the other Magyars all began to gather
nearby.  “While we wait, perhaps you can explain
what happened down there tonight.”
         All eyes turned to Kashin and
Nemgas.  Both of them gazed at each other, but it
was Kashin who spoke. “Do you mean to us, or to Jothay and the sword?”
         Kehthaek took a thin, green leech from
the jar and set it upon one of the pustules.  It
oozed closer before latching into the flesh.
“Both,” came the reply. “Everything since you last saw me.”
         “First,” Akaleth interrupted, his eyes
haunted, “what happened to Felsah?  The last I saw of him was not good.”
         “He is safe,” Kehthaek replied. “More
than that can wait.  For now you must accept that
he is beyond our reach.  I will tell you more
later.  What happened last night is more
important right now.” Akaleth held back whatever
more he wished to ask.  Still, the relief was
plain in his eyes and in the way his body relaxed.
         Kashin waited a moment before he began
describing all that they’d witnessed, from
Czestadt’s arrival in Jothay’s quarters, all the
way to the subterranean temple sinking deeper
into the earth leaving all entrances
blocked.  Occasionally one of the Magyars or Sir
Petriz would interject with some tidbit that
Nemgas had not seen.  Kashin only knew what
Nemgas knew of the fight, but in a way, he
understood its significance better than any of them save perhaps Kehthaek.
         When he was finished, Kehthaek took a
moment to ponder it while eating some of the
grain. “So Yajakali’s blade actually bent like an eel?”
         “Aye.  And it drove itself through Jothay and into the stone altar.”
         “And the veins of fulgurite, how many
did you say radiated from the altar?”
         “Nine,” Akaleth replied. “And each led
to a pillar upon which was chiselled a
symbol.  The symbols were different on each pillar.”
         Kehthaek nodded slowly.  He plucked one
of the leeches from Berkon’s thigh and dropped it
back in the jar. “It is clear from the way you
describe it that this altar and temple were old,
placed here beneath Yesulam many years before the
Predecessors settled this land.  It had once
belonged to a series of pagans before Eli
cleansed it for His people.  One of these pagan tribes must have built it.”
         “Perhaps,” Akaleth mused, “it was built
for this very night.  The blade seemed to know
exactly what it wanted.  If it could kill Jothay
like that, then it could have claimed any of us at any time.”
         “And it had to be tonight,” Kehthaek
continued for him, “because Jothay and the sword
have been there for a month at least, likely
longer.  And we should not overlook the
significance sorcerers place upon the
Equinox.  It is said that magical forces wax when
the stars and planets are aligned, or when they lie in certain configurations.”
         “Aye,” Akaleth agreed.  He reached one
hand into his sleeve, but then quickly drew it
out again. “But what were they trying to achieve?”
         Kehthaek turned his gaze to where the
Knight Templar lay. “Sir Czestadt, did Bishop
Jothay tell you what he meant to accomplish?”
         The knight did not stir, but he did
speak in a hoarse whisper. “No.  Nothing me he told.”
         “Then we must assume the blade achieved
its ends, apart from Father Akaleth vanquishing
the Shrieker.  There is nothing more we can do
about it now.  However, its ends are evil, and we
must work to stop them.  For now,” he gingerly
removed another leech, “I want to learn more
about you, Kashin.  You appeared when Nemgas was
struck with Yajakali’s sword.  How is this possible?”
         Kashin shifted uneasily and stretched
his fingers. “For the same reason that this
sword, “ he gestured to the jewelled Sathmoran
blade at his side, “and Caur-Merripen were not
shorn in two by Yajakali’s sword — they had all been to Cenziga.”
         The Magyars, except for Nemgas, flinched
at this name.  Kehthaek removed a third leech and
studied the wound again. “What is this Cenziga?”
         He took a deep breath and replied, “It
is the ash mountain of the Steppe.  I know there
are no mountains in the Flatlands,” he cast a
quick gaze at Akaleth, upon whose lips that very
objection died. “But Cenziga is still there.  It
is strange, like no other mountain I have ever
seen.  From the west at dusk a blue star shines
from its summit.  It is the only time it can be
seen.  When it is close, it appears as nothing
but a pillar of fog.  And it speaks... it speaks
in your mind like a drummer beating on a drum.  I
heard it speak to me on the Steppe, and I had to
climb it.  I was going to die if I didn’t climb it.”
         Kashin paused, glancing briefly at
Nemgas.  The Magyar who had climbed down from
Cenziga said nothing, his eyes firmly fixed on
the leeches still draining the poison from
Berkon’s wound.  With an inaudible sigh, Kashin
continued, “When I reached the summit, I saw a
spire of power, and faces in the sky.  It was as
if I stood at the very edge of the world.  Even
now I cannot make sense of it.  The spire bent
downwards, and did something.  All I could focus
on was my name.  And in my head, I called myself
both Kashin and Nemgas.  What I did not realize
at the time was that the mountain was splitting
us apart.  Nemgas was inside me, but he was a
separate person with his own identity.  The mountain split us.”
         Kehthaek lifted his eyes, the Questioner
mask firmly planted over his face.  Yet Kashin
could see a need in those eyes to know more. “And
yet you died on the mountain?”
         “Aye,” Kashin replied, licking his lips.
“Or at least it seemed to Nemgas that I died.  He
saw the mountain destroy me, saw me disintegrate
in a puff of ash.  But what truly happened was
that my mind, my identity, all that I was, was
hidden away inside Nemgas’s mind to be freed when
the time was right.  That time was tonight, when
we faced Jothay.  When the power of Marzac
touched us, Cenziga broke us apart again.  It is
why we each have only one arm, and why there are
now two jewelled blades that you can see.”
         Kashin lifted his own, and then gestured
to the other still buckled at Nemgas’s side.
“Before, only one of these blades was
visible.  But the other was always there
too.  And only one who had been to Cenziga could
touch it.  It is why poor Grastalko’s left hand
was burned when he grasped the blade with his
right.  It is why Sir Czestadt was struck down in
the desert by what seemed thin air.” Kashin
chuckled mirthlessly to himself. “And I am not
the first touched by the mountain to have faced creatures corrupted by Marzac.”
         Kehthaek removed the last leech and
deposited it in the jar.  He set the jar aside
and began pulling out herbs from the satchel.
“Tell me who else has been to this mountain.  Any one living?”
         Kashin shook his head. “Not that I have
heard.  The only other person I know to have gone
to the mountain was Pelain of Cheskych.”
         Kehthaek’s hands paused over the wound.
“Pelain?  Of The Suielman Empire?”
         “You’ve heard of him?”
         “Stories.” Kehthaek resumed applying the
herbs around the wound.  He used a soft white
powder that he sprinkled, especially where the
leeches had sucked. “I have heard stories of
him.  Tell me how you know he climbed Cenziga.”
         “If you know of Pelain, then you know of
the city he built at the base of the Vysehrad
mountains – Cheskych.  Well, while Nemgas and the
Magyars were in Cheskych, he met a pair of boys,
one of whom told him that Pelain had climbed the
ash mountain.  One of the village elders told us
a tale of how Pelain died.  I had thought...
pardon me, Nemgas had thought that he would hear
a tale of Cenziga.  Instead, he heard a tale of a
dragon corrupted by dark powers far to the
west.  The dragon was inhabiting the ancient city
they called Hanlo o bavol-engro, but which we would call Carethedor.”
         Akaleth’s face wanted to sneer, but he
kept it still. “Carethedor?  That place is a
legend.  Used to frighten children.”
         “We were there, or rather, the Magyars
were there.” Kashin gave Akaleth a meaningful
look. “Do you really doubt that, Father?”
         The younger Questioner took a deep
breath and shook his head. “After everything I
have seen, no, I don’t doubt it. Not any more.  I am sorry.  Continue.”
         “Very well, the Magyars went to
Carethedor, as they all know.  Nemgas and the boy
Pelurji went into the city, and found their way
to its centre.  They discovered the bones of the
dragon, from which hung the skeleton of Pelain,
still dressed in his signature wolf armour.”
         “Wolf armour?” Sir Petriz asked.
         “The helmet was shaped to make his head
look like a wolf’s, and the armour was designed
to give the appearance of silver fur.  It had not
tarnished despite its age.  There was also a
grave, and in this grave was Pelain’s body, also
wearing the wolf armour.  The conclusion was clear, wasn’t it?”
         Nemgas nodded and sighed. “Pelain wast
two.  Cenziga shore him in two as it hast shorn Kashin and I in two.”
         “And it created a duplicate of
Caur-Merripen, the silver and black blade that
Pelain used, as well as his armour.” Kashin took
a deep breath, glancing at Kehthaek to see if the
Questioner had any actual questions.  But the
priest was studiously applying his medicines to
Berkon’s wound, and would not look up. “The
dragon came to life while we were there in
Carethedor, as did both skeletons.  It was the
boy Pelurji who smote the dragon, using
Caur-Merripen, a sword he should never have been
able to pick up.  When Sir Poznan of the Driheli
came to kill Nemgas who lay prone from what the
dragon had done to him, Pelurji drove Caur-Merripen through Poznan’s back.”
         Czestadt let out a choking laugh. “By a
boy Lech killed?” He laughed again, bitterly.
         “Pelurji collapsed after being struck by
one of the dragon’s bones.  He fell into a sleep,
and has not woken from it since.  The Magyar seer
told Nemgas that the only way to wake the boy was
to destroy the evil that corrupted the
dragon.  That is why the swords could stand
against Yajakali’s blade.  They were touched by Cenziga.”
         Kehthaek smiled ever so slightly as his
hands wrapped fresh bandages around the wound.
“Interesting.  It is unfortunate though that
Cenziga itself is utterly unavailable to us.”
         “‘Tis not to be taken lightly,” Nemgas
snorted. “‘Tis a place of terrible power that I
assure thee hast killed far more men than it hast
split.  Whatever power it holds it grants but sparingly.”
         “No doubt,” Kehthaek replied as he pulled the bindings tight.
         “So what dost this tell us?” Chamag asked irritably.
         “It tells us that these swords may yet
be used to balk Marzac’s power,” Kashin replied.
         “There are others in the Ecclesia under
Marzac’s influence,” Kehthaek pointed out as he
finished binding Berkon’s thigh. “We likely can
do nothing about Yajakali directly, but we can
eliminate his pawns by cleansing the Ecclesia.”
         “For this will I help,” Czestadt
announced. “Of the Driheli, home them I will
send.  Not understand this battle they will.”
         “Stay I will,” Sir Petriz declared. “Me you need will.”
         Czestadt opened his mouth to argue, and
then closed it in silent assent.
         Kehthaek turned his gaze to Nemgas, his
eyes surprisingly soft. “You appear
conflicted.  Do not be.  To cleanse the Ecclesia,
one must be a part of it.  This is no longer your task.”
         “Dost thee say we casnt leave, and
return to our wagons?” Amile asked, her eyes
brightening.  Gelel sat up straighter, and a
longing filled every pair of Magyar eyes.
         “If it is your choice, yes.” Kehthaek
laid one hand on Berkon’s leg. “I ask only that
you stay another day and night so that he may
recover enough strength to journey with you.”
         Nemgas took a deep breath and turned his
eyes to Kashin. “I... we must return to our
people.  Thou hast thy master to avenge.  I hath my boy to save.”
         Kashin nodded and smiled faintly. “May
Eli bring him back to you.  One day you must
bring him here so he may know me too.”
         “He knows thee already,” Nemgas replied,
his face filled with a strange pride. “For he
hath a brother too.”  Kashin blinked in confusion
for a moment, and then his smile returned
stronger than before.  The two men began to laugh
warmly, each one sounding just like the other.

----------

         “Excommunicato!  Excommunicato!” Geshter
bellowed, the hammer in his hands crushing
Vinsah’s body.  He shrieked like a beast, clawing
and biting to escape from his assailant.  Geshter
towered over him, cyclopean in stature, the
breadth of his hammer was wider than the
raccoon’s head.  But it was each exclamation that
truly wounded him.  And each time Geshter cried
out, Vinsah felt himself give in more and more to
the animal.  At the end, he was reduced to biting
Geshter’s ankle, naked, while all around him were
the shattered and smashed symbols of his faith. “Excommunicato in perpetua!”

         Vinsah woke with a strangled cry.  His
body trembled, but he was not cold.  His eyes
opened to near total darkness; only a sliver of
light where the hold opened onto the deck
revealed anything to his nocturnal vision.
         He was laying in the hold of the
Sondesharan vessel, nestled between crates filled
with foodstuffs, parchment, clothing, and other
supplies needed to support a Bishop and his
retinue.  The one whom the vessel served, Bishop
Morean of Sondeshara, was now dead; slain by the
traitor Jothay because he had discovered part of
Jothay’s plans.  Now it delivered the raccoon
from his enemies.  They would take him back to
Metamor, the one land where Vinsah could be safe.
         But to do what?  Vinsah did not know.
         He pulled the blanket closer around his
body and slowly stretched his legs and
toes.  Physically he was fine.  Ever since the
curses of Metamor had made him a humanoid
raccoon, he’d been stronger, sharper, keener, and
in possession of greater endurance than he’d ever
had before.  After making the long journey
through Sathmore and the Midlands with Malger the
marten and Murikeer the skunk, he’d been in even better shape.
         Vinsah groped along the ground until his
paws found the small pouch.  He gripped it
tightly, and could feel the broken pieces of his
yew digging into his palms.  His body trembled
again.  Spiritually, he’d never been so desolate
as this.  Excommunicated.  He was forbidden to
partake of the Eucharist; he could no longer do
penance for his sins, and he could not be
forgiven.  Paradise was closed to him now; even
Purgatory was beyond his reach.  Like the
crushing of his yew, Geshter had condemned his soul.
         If there could be no hope of Yahshua’s
mercy and love, then what was there left?
         “Abba!” Vinsah cried in sudden
anguish.  He beat his fists against the nearest
crate, chest racked with sobs. “Why?  Why?” But
unless the Ecclesia granted him the status of a
Penitential Supplicant, even his prayer would
afford him little. Prayer was never truly
ineffective, but in as many ways as are possible
to men, the excommunicated are cut off from Eli.
         But perhaps not from all of Eli’s
servants.  Vinsah slid down to his knees, toe
claws catching in the blanket and pulling it taut
around his shoulders.  His head pressed against
the crate as he squeezed the words from his
throat, “My Lady.  Please come to me.  It is I,
your Elvmere.  Please!  I... I need you.”
         He did not expect her to come, and in
that he was not disappointed.  The hold was quiet
but for the creaking of timbers, the soft cries
of rats, and the distant voices of the crew.  He
was alone for now.  If his Lady came to him, it would happen in his sleep.
         But all he had in his sleep now were nightmares.
         Vinsah snarled in sudden fury and tore
the blanket from his shoulders.  His claws rent
the fabric, and with a hiss he threw it
aside.  As he shivered, his anger found voice in
a beastly growl deep in his throat.  Had one of
the crew happened upon him in that moment, he
might lash out as a cornered beast lashes out in
fear at the one who trapped it.
         When he finally stilled the rage in his
flesh, the raccoon sat down with his things.  He
traced his fingers across one of Akabaieth’s
journals as he reached for the lamp.  Once the
meagre flame brought some light to his corner of
the hold, Vinsah took the journal in his lap and
began flipping through the pages.  It wasn’t
until he saw his name in the text that he was
able to read.  His heart tightened in anguish
when he realized what his mentor was describing.

29 September 691 Cristos Reckoning

         I had the privilege of consecrating a
new Bishop this day.  Vinsah of Abaef has proven
to be a capable priest, and will serve as a loyal
and blameless Bishop for his people, his
Ecclesia, and his Eli.  The decision to select
Vinsah was an easy one, a fact that both
encourages and dismays.  I am encouraged by his
alacrity for the priesthood, dedication to
Yahshua and His calling, keen intellect, and most
especially for his faithful devotion to Yahshua’s
Ecclesia.  Yet at the same time he is not blinded
by the politics of our time.  I know he will
prosper and Eli will bless his ministry.
         What dismays me is that there are so few
priests like him.  Far too many see the struggles
in our world as one more reason to become
insular.  Eli created all people and creatures of
our world.  To see Eli in all things takes a
critical but honest eye, one motivated by the
just love that Yahshua embodies.  It is my hope
that Bishop Vinsah of Abaef will be a voice of reason and faith on the Council.
         Eli has His plans, and we are permitted
only humble thanks for being a part of them.  I
see in Vinsah an opportunity for the Ecclesia to
right the wrongs of our past... of my past.  I
pray that in time we can all see and play our
parts in the vast plans that Eli has created for
us.  He gave us Yahshua so that we might know
redemption, and the Ecclesia that we might have
the barest taste of His kingdom.  Though priests
make mistakes, Yahshua promised us that His
Ecclesia would endure forever.  He did not
promise what form it would endure in.  If we give
in to our worst instincts, we may see the
Ecclesia reduced to its ancestral lands.  Our
foolishness cannot destroy the Ecclesia, but it
can condemn millions when it should embrace them.
         Enough of fear.  This is a joyous
day.  Bishop Vinsah of Abaef will bring to the
Council many admirable traits, not the least of
which is his trust in Eli and optimism that trust
engenders.  I am blessed to have his counsel for
the remaining years of my Pontificate.

         Vinsah stared at the words, trying to
remember how he felt that day almost sixteen
years ago now.  Humbled?  Certainly, but also
excited and grateful.  For a time he’d been heady
with wonder at all the good he could do as
Bishop.  Over the years, he’d lost much of that
reckless enthusiasm, but he’d always tried to
serve well.  But he had never realized how much
hope his mentor had invested in him.
         “I’m sorry,” he whispered bitterly. “I failed.”
         Unable to hold back, the raccoon sobbed anew.

----------

         The night air was pleasantly cool
against Commodore Pythoreaus’s cheeks.  It was
nearing midnight, and normally at this hour he
would be asleep, but the steady drone of activity
down at the wharves had called to him like a
forgotten love.  And so, one of the commanders of
the Fleet of Whales had donned his uniform to see his many cherished vessels.
         The sea was filled with a sombre fog, so
from his bedroom window the wharves appeared a
blanket of white through which masts emerged like
dry reeds in a marsh.  After climbing down the
embankment to the Marine Barracks he saw that the
fog was not as dense as he first suspected.  It
ebbed slowly away from the wharves along with the
tide, revealing ship after ship moored.  The
vessels were so close that he heard several of
the deckhands shouting jokes from ship to ship as
they kept the vessels clean and ready.
         He had spoken with Prince Phil that
morning, and the rabbit wished to wait until
there was more news before striking.  But the
mighty fleet of Whales, the most powerful Navy in
all the known world, was always ready to set
sail.  Pythoreaus looked on in pride as he saw how true it was.
         The Marine Barracks overlooked the
wharves, and afforded a good view of the entire
bay.  He stood atop a squat tower on the seaward
side of the barracks, accompanied by two Captains
who had come into port in the last few
days.  More would be arriving in the days and
weeks ahead.  It was rare indeed to see the
harbour so full.  Already there had been
complaints from merchant ships that it was taking
thrice as long as normal to unload their
goods.  If Prince Phil chose to commandeer their
vessels, they would complain even louder; for a few minutes at least.
         Just thinking of the rabbit who had
returned from Metamor to rule in place of his
ailing father made Pythoreaus glance along the
escarpment.  The steep hills rose behind them,
and to his left he could see the palace of Whales
where his King suffered abed.  His heart trembled
with concern for his majesty, King Tenomides, who
had fallen ill at the beginning of the year.  The
doctors still hoped for a recovery, but it had
been nine months now.  How could there be any hope for him now?
         “Commodore,” Captain Ioannes said in his
heavy voice.  He was a large man with scars along
his arms when an accident had deposited Whalish
Fire on him.  Even though it had only been enough
to fill a cup, it was his quick thinking to bury
his arms in a barrel of sand that had saved him.
“Have you heard any word on when we will take
action?  I have been talking with some of the
other Captains, and none of them seem to have any better idea than I.”
         “Soon,” Pythoreaus replied.  He did not
like waiting either, and was more abrasive than
he intended. “I expect we will begin arraying our
forces soon.  For now, we continue to patrol the
straits while more ships arrive.”
         “This is more ships than I have ever
seen in port before,” Captain Erepheus noted.  He
was young, only made a captain of the Whalish
Navy a few months before.  Despite the fact that
he had already served for seven years, there was
in his eyes the breathless excitement of the new
recruit, head still filled with tales of
adventure and glory, not yet come to grips with
the grit and hard work that was nearly the whole of a sailor’s life.
         “Indeed,” Pythoreaus admitted. “The last
time I saw so many was during King Tenomides
coronation.  I was first mate then.  Of the
Dolphin.” He squinted his eyes at the eastern
sea. The fog was slowly ebbing away, and he
thought he saw something moving there. “Ioannes, your spyglass please.”
         Ioannes turned his eye to the fog bank
and stared even as he passed the spy glass he
carried on his belt.  Pythoreaus lifted it to his
eye and turned the long tube until the distant
fog became clear.  At first all he saw were
shadows in the distance, dimly illuminated by the
lights of Whales, but after a moment, he realized they were ships.
         “There are vessels coming out of the
fog.” Pythoreaus scanned what little he could see
of them and smiled. “Whalish vessels. More of our fleet.”
         “Why don’t they have torches lit?”
Ioannes asked, his voice stiff and tense.
         “There’s a little light there,” Erepheus
pointed out. “Close to the fo’c’sle.”
         Pythoreaus swivelled the spy glass until
he could see it clearly.  The ships were now
leaving the fog bank, and he could see that there
were at least a dozen. “That’s not a lamp,” he
realized. “That’s the Fire.” His heart beat
faster, his mind frozen with a sudden fear.  What
were the ships named?  He found the masthead, and nearly choked in horror.
         “Sound the alarm!  Prepare for attack!”
he shouted, his voice rising several octaves.
         “What?” Erepheus asked in
confusion.  Men down on the wharves had not heard
him and continued working away in blissful ignorance.
         Pythoreaus grabbed Erepheus by his
collar and throttled him. “Sound the
alarm!  Those ships are going to attack!  Do it!!”
         Ioannes was already shouting orders to
the men below.  Pythoreaus turned to the flags to
signal the watch tower when the lead vessel
launched its fire.  Unable to breathe, he watched
that great ball of black flame arc through the
night sky.  The laughs of the sailors quickly
turned to cries of panic, and then screams of
agony as the fire splashed across the deck of the
easternmost ship, engulfing it in flames.
         “Launch all ships!  Launch all ships!”
Pythoreaus screamed.  Another ball of fire
screamed through the air, as the attackers, ships
of Whales and crewed by men of Whales, but all
corrupted by an evil they could not fight,
continued to bear down on the wharves.  The
screams echoed up, and Pythoreaus watched a
burning man leap into the sea, only to continue
to burn and sink like a glowing ember beneath the surface.
         But there was nothing the Commodore
could do anymore.  The sailors could see their
danger, but now all of them were trying to escape
at once.  They might do more damage to
themselves.  Already, the fire had spread from the first ship onto a second.
         Behind him, a high pitched wail began to
cry.  The alarm.  Too late to do anyone any
good.  Pythoreaus refused to weep as he watched
the mighty fleet of Whales one by one begin to
burn with their own secret flame.

         At the scream of the tocsin, Phil leapt
from his bed.  His wife stirred but slowly,
unused to his military training.  The rabbit
bounded to his balcony overlooking the harbour
and gasped in horror.  A nightmare lay below him,
as several Whalish ships in the southeast
launched volley after volley of fire at the
dockyards.  The liquid flame had spread over the
decks of several ships already, while only one or
two of their own fleet had managed to leave the dock.
         Phil’s mind tried to comprehend the
scene before him.  So much death and so many
screams of terror rising to his ears.  His own
joined them, and he threw himself at the floor,
his mind retreating into a safe place in the back
of his head.  As the fires raged below and men
died, the Prince of Whales busied himself with
trying to dig a hole in the masonry to hide.