[Mkguild] Memorial day

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Mon May 28 00:08:43 CDT 2007

Today is Memorial day. A time to remember those who served. This was
originally meant to be part of my old Blood & Fur stories but somehow it
stands well all by itself. It’s my tribute to those who paid the
ultimate price for freedom.

  Christian O’Kane
  The Lurking Fox

 Afterward
 By Christian O’Kane
 -----------------

   It seems strange to sit here and write these words. The visit to the
cemetery went well. It seemed so peaceful, a fitting place for them to
rest. It took all of us to find the right stone. There were so many, too
many. Jessica found it, laughing and running among the crosses reading
name. She thought it was a game. I think John would have liked that. He
always loved kids. Too bad he didn't live to see his grandchildren. His
daughter Janet brought a huge bouquet of flowers and spent a long time
fussing about their placement. Still, after that she stood quietly by
the grave for a long time. Then she presented her own granddaughter to
him. "I want you to meet your great grand child, Sarah Ann," she said.

   Lord but Sarah has John's eyes, and Janet has his voice. Every time
she speaks I hear him and his face comes back to me, as young and alive
as ever. That's how I see him; laughing and joking. I remember how we
used to laugh, and drink and party together, and I remember how he died.
At least it was quick, painless.

   The faces of all those I left behind come back to me, John, Willie,
Andrew, fat corporal Hernandez. To my children they're nothing but names
carved on stone, but to me they're faces, young faces that will never
grow old. I remember seeing Hernandez screaming with his legs blown off,
I see Andrews body scattered all over the ground, and I remember the
shriek of the shell that killed John. I see their faces again and I
wonder if their deaths were worth it. I cried at their graves and I'm
crying now as I write this. Was it worth it?

   Suddenly I feel the touch of a small hand on my arm. It's Jessica
come to see why Grandpa was crying. She hugs me and gives me the picture
she drew to cheer me up. It's of the flowers at John's grave.

   Were their deaths worth it? Yes. I see my giggling granddaughter
wiggling in my lap and smile. John always loved kids.

   End

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:05 PM