[Mkguild] Story: William and Emily, Part 3 - In From the Rain

Shazer Fox shazerfox at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:36:31 EDT 2007

Thanks for your compliments!  I appreciate it.

 As for
the characters' ability to read and write, I figured for someone having
grown up at Metamor this would be a real possibility.  If not, it
shouldn't be too hard to go back in and add an explanation, especially
for a family as not-so-poor as his.  As for Emily, well, there's
something coming up that might explain it.  =

 In
response to John's comment about the timeline, I've been bugging Misha
and whoever else frequents the IRC channel about it, trying to figure
out when to place things.  The story requires a long time period, which
is odd, I know.  Starting it earlier than 704 could work, but I'm just
unsure about how readily a foreign merchant would head to Metamor so
soon after the curse.  I think what we decided on was that because the
majority of the story from here on out (and anything else I possibly do
with these characters) will occur far outside of Metamor, that writing
so far in the future would be okay.  Matt's reminder of the curse
spreading makes me wonder if it would be best to move further south.

know I'm being a pain, and I'm grateful for all your help in helping me
make this work  :o)   Though I'm just starting out, my eyes are set on
the future and those few pioneering Keepers brave enough to wander
across the map.  This is where my real writing interests lie, as I'm
terrible at writing the epic battles you all do so well.

 Let me know if this is reasonable.  Thanks!

 =

Shaz

> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:53:37 -0400
> To: shazerfox at hotmail.com
> From: jagille3 at vt.edu
> Subject: Re: [Mkguild] Story: William and Emily, Part 3 - In From the  Ra=
in
> =

> Shazer,
> =

> Just wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed reading your tale so fa=
r!!
> =

> The characters are real, the interactions enjoyable, and you dance in =

> the setting quite adroitly.  Your moving forward in time felt natural =

> too.  A couple of nitpicks I'd like to raise though.
> =

> First, both characters can read and write.  Few outside te clergy or =

> the nobility would be taught these skills.  It is remarkable both =

> know them.  You might want to explain why.
> =

> Second, by thie time of your third part, the extent of the curse =

> would have expanded a bit.  Not enough to reach her town of course, =

> but at least a good twenty miles more north and south would be under =

> its influence.  Keepers would be better tolerated at this point, =

> although you're right not too many animal morphs would be living =

> outside the valley, if any.
> =

> Keep up the good work!  I look forward to the next part!
> =

> May He bless you and keep you in His grace and love,
> =

> Charles Matthias
> =

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Caf=E9. Stop =
by today.
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_Oc=
tWLtagline