[Mkguild] The Journeys Begin chapter 4

joeschoder2 at charter.net joeschoder2 at charter.net
Mon Oct 15 00:52:46 EDT 2007

Well, here's chapter 4.  I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on and critiqued the story so far.

The Journeys Begin
Chapter 4
By: Joseph Schoder Jr.

January 4, 707 CR - Dawn

The sun had just risen over the mountains when the last of the townsfolk had gathered at Gregory's inn.  As the largest building left since the Mansion's destruction, it doubled as a town hall.

Ashley had been dreading this moment ever since she made the suggestion to Sasiv that he bring his tribe back to the mansion.  She had hoped that she would have more time, to give the memory of the devastating Christmas Eve attack time to fade.

As it was, people were still rebuilding, still burying the dead, it was still fresh in their minds.  Tensions were high.  It would have been hard enough to convince her fellow citizens to accept the Lutins under normal circumstances... After a major attack by their kind, it would be nearly impossible.

An attack that they had participated in, she reminded herself.  She was still trying to anticipate all the arguments before they were made.

She had an idea of what her own arguments would be, all the historical research she had done while she was still hoping to become a priest, before the curse, would finally come in useful.

Ashley waited until the last person sat down.  She took a deep breath, stood, and walked to the center of the room.

As there was no real town leader since the loss of the ard'Kapler family, everyone in town was basically equal.  The main room of the inn had been prepared the night before, all the tables stacked along the walls, and the chairs were placed in a series of concentric circles around the room.  Anyone who wished to could stand and speak, or move to the center of the room.

Gregory spoke from his seat, "Now that we're all here, would you like to explain how you knew about a dangerous creature like that and why you didn't tell us about it?"

Just as he finished speaking he flinched slightly to the side and quietly nickered as his daughter stuck her finger into his ribs.  She whispered, "She's not a it papa, remember?  You promised."

Ashley could hear Mary whisper, "Melanie stop poking your father."

Hiding a smile, she answered, "I believed that Keenscent was no threat to the town.  I still do."

Gregory sounded disbelieving, "You named... her?" He had been going to say 'it' but Melanie glaring at him caused him to rethink that.

Bracing herself Ashley said, "No, I was told her name, by Sasiv, the chief of the Wolf Riders tribe, when I asked them to stay at the mansion."

It took a moment for the statement to register with everyone, but within the blink of an eye almost half the room was on its feet shouting.

It was nearly five minutes before they had calmed enough for individuals to be heard.  A man named John was the loudest, "They destroyed our town!  Attacked the Keep barely two weeks ago!  And you ask them to stay?!"

"The Wolf Riders had nothing to do with the destruction of our town, and Nasoj forced them to attack the Keep!"

"They are Lutins!  They are all guilty!"

The noise in the room was so loud that Ashley had to shout to be heard, "Just as you are guilty of murdering Lothanasi!  Of burning them alive!"

The entire room fell silent.

John looked horrified, he stuttered out, "A-Ashley, wha-what?"

"That is what was done during the inquisitions, you are a Follower, _I_ am a Follower, are we not all guilty?"

Looking around she spotted a pair of black furred ears with long tufts of fur sticking straight up from the tips.  Before she could lose momentum she called out, pointing to the cat, "And you, Nathan, you are guilty of crucifying Followers.  You're Lothanasi" She looked pointedly at John, "and all Lothanasi are guilty aren't they?"

Ashley raised her voice speaking loudly so everyone could hear, "And all of us, we're Demons aren't we!?  We all are, if you listen to some talk in the Midlands!  We sneak into their homes, kill their men, rape their women, and steal their children away to the Keep to be cursed!"

John stood up as Ashley began to point out someone else, "We get the point!"

She looked back to him, her voice lowering to a more conversational tone, "Do you?  We cannot judge a being based solely on their race.  If we do, we are no better than those who call us demons."

Gregory stood up, "That's different, if they just gave us a chance we would prove we aren't evil."

Ashley looked at him and smiled widely as her voice took on a conciliatory tone, "And that, is exactly what the Wolf Riders are asking from us.  A chance to prove they aren't the monsters we think they are."

There was a prolonged silence, then John spoke softly, "I want nothing to do with Lutins, it doesn’t matter what you say, they will never reform."

He got up, along with several others in the group, and turned to leave.  As they walked out Ashley followed, "Will you tell Metamor?"

John stopped and looked at her, without turning around.  Ashley grimaced, her neck got sympathy pains every time she saw the owl morph do that.  "I know you well enough to know that you really believe in what you’re doing.  As long as you keep them out of the town, we won’t betray you to Metamor."

Ashley nodded her thanks as they returned to their homes.  As she turned and walked back inside she sighed.  Still, she thought, it was going better than expected.

When she got back to the center of the dining room she looked around at the faces of her friends and neighbors. "Will you meet them at least, please."  Her eyes landed on Gregory, "Give them the chance to prove that they are not the monsters you think they are."

Epilogue

Two groups assembled on the snowy field in front of the ruin that had once been a mansion.  On one side, human and animal morph, and the other, Lutin and wolf.  No one moved, except the slowly wagging tail of the one wolf who already knew and trusted the Keepers.

No small number of hands and paws gripped sword hilts, but no sword was drawn.  The lutins and wolves walked forward.

In that moment a milestone of history was crossed.  Lutin and Keeper stood face to face and clasped hands in peace.