[Mkguild] A Proposal Regarding the Legal systems of Metamor

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Aug 20 19:29:47 EDT 2008

>BTW, this has also assumed the following political structure of the
>Valley and the North Midlands:
>
>1) The North Midlands is an ancient Duchy from the time of the
>Suleiman Empire.  The Duke of Metamor is really more like a medieval
>King.  A duchy comprises several counties (also earldoms or shires,
>depending on local tradition).  These counties, in turn, are comprised
>of smaller divisions:  Either cities or towns under charter, lesser
>fiefdoms of nobility below the rank of 'count', and
>parishes--communities of 'public' villages.

All of the Midlands were once united under a single King, with the
three Duchies being the next level of division.  The last King,
Herouc, died without an heir while attempting to drive the last of
the non-humans from the Outer Midlands.  After this the lands broke
up into their current configuration.  There are lots more details of
course, and some of the first Dukes called themselves Kings.

In fact, the intrigue between Verdane of Kelewair and Otakar of
Salinon revolves around the fact that both would like to establish
their lines as the new kingly line over all the Midlands.

>2) Though the other Earls (or Counts) and nobles are required to pay
>their feudal service, those who hold land in fief (and some only hold
>title) are mostly autonomous, with the Keep's direct administrative
>control now reaching through the Valley and little beyond.
>
>3) Peers are (in order): The Duke of Metamor; Earls/Counts (equal);
>Viscounts; Barons.  Knights are also nobility, but not peers and not
>entitled to sit on the Duke's council.

I've just been calling many of the nobles in the Northern Midlands
Lords like Lord Brian Avery, Lord Robern Barnhardt, and Lord Geoffrey
Donel of Midtown.  Some are Barons though, like Baron Samuel
Christopher of the Iron Mines, and Baron Lewis Pedain of Komley.  I
haven't used Earls or Viscounts or anything like that.

All these vassals were identified in 'Lineaments of Coming Night'
during the Council Scene.

>Please correct or add to this.  I'm trying to get a good feel as I'm
>writing a murder mystery that will have to do with various parts of
>the legal system (and, if it is successful, I want to write more).  If
>people generally agree, I'll add it to the Wiki and then I'll be
>writing stories based on it.

Oooh, I like the sound of it. :-)

>-Tatsushu
>
>PS:  I do not expect anyone would have a problem with there being
>'private' investigators (I do not know that I would use that title)
>working with and for the Courts, Watch, and private citizens, though I
>know that is pretty much a 19th century profession.

Well, if it works then that's cool.  I guess it depend son how you
want to play it.