[Mkguild] A Proposal Regarding the Legal systems of Metamor

JL Badgley tatsushu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:45:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:29 AM, C. Matthias <jagille3 at vt.edu> wrote:

>> BTW, this has also assumed the following political structure of the
>> Valley and the North Midlands:
>>
>> 1) The North Midlands is an ancient Duchy from the time of the
>> Suleiman Empire.  The Duke of Metamor is really more like a medieval
>> King.  A duchy comprises several counties (also earldoms or shires,
>> depending on local tradition).  These counties, in turn, are comprised
>> of smaller divisions:  Either cities or towns under charter, lesser
>> fiefdoms of nobility below the rank of 'count', and
>> parishes--communities of 'public' villages.
>
> All of the Midlands were once united under a single King, with the three
> Duchies being the next level of division.  The last King, Herouc, died
> without an heir while attempting to drive the last of the non-humans from
> the Outer Midlands.  After this the lands broke up into their current
> configuration.  There are lots more details of course, and some of the first
> Dukes called themselves Kings.
>
> In fact, the intrigue between Verdane of Kelewair and Otakar of Salinon
> revolves around the fact that both would like to establish their lines as
> the new kingly line over all the Midlands.

To make clear:  I don't see any disagreement in what we are saying, so
if you see something that seems at odds, please let me know.

>> 2) Though the other Earls (or Counts) and nobles are required to pay
>> their feudal service, those who hold land in fief (and some only hold
>> title) are mostly autonomous, with the Keep's direct administrative
>> control now reaching through the Valley and little beyond.
>>
>> 3) Peers are (in order): The Duke of Metamor; Earls/Counts (equal);
>> Viscounts; Barons.  Knights are also nobility, but not peers and not
>> entitled to sit on the Duke's council.
>
> I've just been calling many of the nobles in the Northern Midlands Lords
> like Lord Brian Avery, Lord Robern Barnhardt, and Lord Geoffrey Donel of
> Midtown.  Some are Barons though, like Baron Samuel Christopher of the Iron
> Mines, and Baron Lewis Pedain of Komley.  I haven't used Earls or Viscounts
> or anything like that.
>
> All these vassals were identified in 'Lineaments of Coming Night' during the
> Council Scene.

I'll take a look there again.  It is my understanding that the title
'Lord' extends itself to all Peers, as well as to certain positions
(such as a Lord Mayor) where it is granted as a courtesy title.  All
lesser nobility (knights, for instance) are titled 'Sir'.  Below the
rank of knight, one might be called 'Mister' or 'Master' (and I tend
to use 'Master' to distinguish between a Master craftsman or landed
gentry, as opposed to a simple farmer, journeyman, or stranger upon
the road, though perhaps in reality such a distinction may not exist
quite so much).

>> Please correct or add to this.  I'm trying to get a good feel as I'm
>> writing a murder mystery that will have to do with various parts of
>> the legal system (and, if it is successful, I want to write more).  If
>> people generally agree, I'll add it to the Wiki and then I'll be
>> writing stories based on it.
>
> Oooh, I like the sound of it. :-)
>
>> PS:  I do not expect anyone would have a problem with there being
>> 'private' investigators (I do not know that I would use that title)
>> working with and for the Courts, Watch, and private citizens, though I
>> know that is pretty much a 19th century profession.
>
> Well, if it works then that's cool.  I guess it depend son how you want to
> play it.

I'll let the stories speak for themselves.  Unfortunately, I am
finding that mysteries have a bad habit of not coming together quite
as linearly as certain other stories, where I can easily deal with the
consequences of bad foresight.  It really is quite an intriguing
process.

-Tatsushu