[Mkguild] Town at the base of the valley

Sealord18 at aol.com Sealord18 at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 16:01:31 EDT 2008

According to my Latin to English dictionary here though it is 10 years old,
Valley in Latin is (con)vallis.  Hope this helps you though am not really
sure.

Cetas (who one of these days is writing a MK story)

In a message dated 8/21/2008 10:34:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tatsushu at gmail.com writes:

On Thu,  Aug 21, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Ryx <sundansyr at yahoo.com>  wrote:

>> Would anyone oppose it being the town  of
>> 'Montcester' (originally
>> Montecester, and now  pronounced
>> "Mont'ster"--or perhaps less
>> flattering  things these days)?
>

> Ah, ugh?  Let's not,  please?  It lies within sight of the Keep, is within
the boundaries of  the curse, and naming it 'monster' would flatly give into
the paranoid  propaganda promulgated by all of Metamor's enemies.

> One thing  that (most) who have been cursed do *NOT* consider themselves is
 monsters.  Yes, a few might, but living with so others similarly changed
would ameliorate the ill feelings that they suffer having become 'something'
else.

I was figuring that 'Monster' was the name given it by  outsiders, a
derrogatory term.  A name those inside would correct ("It  is
'Montcester', sir, not 'Monster'").  The name just popped into my  head
as I was thinking of various town names and their early  Roman
antecedents, considering the Suleiman heritage of the  Valley.
Honestly I was thinking of using 'cester' or 'chester' simply  because
it seems to make sense for many settlements in the Valley  and
Midlands, just like it made sense in England.  I was then trying  to
find good prefixes.  Portchester seems like it should be on the  sea
(and I believe is actually a name in England), and I couldn't  find
'valley' to translate into Latin.  Since my Latin isn't great,  I
wasn't sure if it should possibly be 'Montcester', 'Montecester',  or
'Monticester', if any.  If people would rather, I could change  the
name so that it is pronounced 'Monte'ster' by the inhabitants,  though
I still thought that outsiders would likely call it 'Monster'  these
days, regardless.  Of course, to call it such in-town would  likely be
like calling someone a 'frog' in Paris, or perhaps calling a  certain
Belgian a Frenchman.

However, if there is enough of a  response to it that it is
objectionable, I can remove it.  I would  like to hear what others
think,  however.

-Tatsushu

deal here.