[Mkguild] Fireworks and their alternatives

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Aug 26 20:38:25 EDT 2008

>Ok, I would like to mention first that the story in which the guns
>are mentioned 300 years in the future isn't fully canon. Any story
>that contains major issues from a sufficiently far enough time into
>the future is considered an 'optional' future. It's the future that
>particular person envisions, but it's not set in stone like the rest
>of the 'current' archives. Matthias' future =/= Raven's future =/=
>the future someone (I think Stealth) thought of with steam engine
>technology, etc. So while there are guns 300 years in Matthias'
>future, they are not set in stone. I agree that with no guns there
>would be no 'gunpowder' per se, but the idea of powder that explodes
>would certainly exist, especially considering the fondness
>alchemists have for stuff that goes boom. It's not a very big jump
>from there to stuff that goes boom in pretty colors.
>

>Yep, the steam engine tech was mine, though it was more to do with
>air ships. Aside from that, I thought Matt's future in LTOY was the
>official future setting. So I guess any future is only ever intended
>as a non-canon setting? Because that sounds great, I can go nuts
>with my own vision without it affecting anything!

Everything I write for Metamor Keep is leading to the future I
envisioned.  Other futures are still plausible, but I think that a
lot of the elements I'm suggesting should be considered canonical.  I
imagine in 300 years a sort of technology as existed during the late
Renaissance would abound.  Steampunk style MK would probably ensue
after that because of the presence of magic that could be imbued in technology.

Of course, that's cause I like steampunk too. :-)

You'll note though, that in my 1000 CR scenes, I don't actually
establish that much.  Muskets are still very primitive at that
point.  The Hassan line is now the ruling dynasty over a united
Midlands.  Cheskych is the captial of Vysehrad, a kingdom in the
eastern Flatlands.  That's about it geopolitically.