[Mkguild] MK Story - Winter Horizons Part 2

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Aug 30 22:03:03 EDT 2008

 =

***************************************
 =

   =93I must admit, this was unexpected,=94 Rickkter said coldly.
 =

   =93What did you expect?=94 Misha answered slowly as the group walked down
the street.
 =

   =93I was just thinking the four of us.=94
 =

   =93They=92re Andre=92s and Jenn=92s friends as well, and so just as welc=
ome.=94
 =

   =93You could have at least gave me some warning.=94
 =

   Misha shook his head. =93Would that have changed things?=94
 =

   =93=85 Possibly.=94
 =

   =93That means no. Now you know why. I do hope that the two of you can
behave yourselves tonight. You will be guests in their home.=94
 =

   =93Well, as Kayla said earlier, this looks to be a day of firsts. There
may very well be some miraculous event by which he does not cause
trouble. =94
 =

   =93Just be sure you do the same.=94
 =

 =

***************************************
 =

 =

   The Maugnard home was located on one of the countless side streets
that filled most of the outer ward of Metamor Keep. The street was named
Cobblers Way, although no cobbler had lived there in over a hundred
years. The sheer number of animal morphs in and around the Keep wouldn=92t
be helping that situation in the near future, either. The street was
paved with cobblestones worn smooth and gray with the passage of endless
traffic over the centuries.
 =

   The buildings here were tall and packed so close together that they
leaned towards each other, overhanging the road. This cast the street in
gloom all the time and it was only at midday that the streets saw bright
sunlight. Today, however, it served to shield the denizens of the street
from the worst of the inclement weather. What had started as a gentle
snowfall in the morning had slowly but steadily increased as the day
wore on and now had a respectable wind blowing it around also. The Keep,
exposed on higher ground as it were, got the worst of it. There was a
bit of smug satisfaction had by those of the Way to know that the
buildings that blocked out the best of the summer weather were now
shielding them from the worst of what winter would have in store.
 =

   The house itself was third from the corner with the wine shop, an
ever popular destination in the lower ward, and was three stories tall,
four if you counted the high attic with its dormered windows. The house
was of timbers so darkened by age that they were almost black, which
contrasted sharply with the white plaster of the walls around them. A
single door was set in the middle of the fa=E7ade. The thick, iron bound
wooden door was just large enough for a person to fit through. Off to
the left was a tall archway closed off with doors of the same black oak
as the rest of the building. That archway led to a courtyard behind the
house that was as light and airy as the street was dark and dismal.
 =

   A small group of six animal morph keepers made their way down the
street. Bundled as they were against the cold with thick fur coats and
with hats and hoods pulled down close it was hard to tell who they were.
Even defining their species was hard.
 =

   The small group walked up to the house and stopped into front of the
door. The center panel of the door was elaborately carved, gilded and
painted. A stallion and bear flanked a shield of red and blue with a
deep orange gauntlet in the center. Below this was a door knocker of
brass in the shape of a bear=92s paw.
 =

   Misha grabbed hold of the knocker and gave three sharp raps. The
knocks seemed to echo loudly on the quiet street.
 =

   The door opened and a young woman of no more then twelve years of age
appeared. She had long, black hair that flowed down to her shoulders.
Her slim figure was covered by a dress of blue and yellow that
highlighted a body just entering puberty. She looked at them with bright
sparkling blue eyes and smiled. =93Good evening, Gentlemen and Ladies.=94
 =

   Misha bowed to her. =93Good evening, Adelaise. We=92re here for dinner.=
=94
 =

   Adelaise opened the door wide and beckoned them inward. =93Welcome.
You=92re right on time.=94
 =

   The group quickly divested themselves of the overcoats they were
wearing, revealing the clothes they had each selected for dinner and
making it possible to distinguish species for the first time. Two were
rats, male and female. Charles was wearing a good tunic and breeches
both of dark blue with a back belt and matching sash. Kimberly was
wearing a long, woollen dress of light blue. Around her waist was a belt
of gray that was filigreed with gold and silver.
 =

   Misha was wearing a tunic and pants both of dark green and trimmed
with broad swatches of light brown silk edged with gold thread. He had a
broad, black belt around his waist with a simple brass buckle.
 =

   Standing close to the fox morph Caroline was wearing a floor length
dress of deep purple. The front was cut low revealing and enhancing her
cleavage. Dangling from a pearl necklace was a blue jewel in a gold
setting. =

 =

   Closest to the door was Rickkter and Kayla. Kayla was dressed in a
full length gown of deep maroon, her collar up near her neck. The white
of her neck fur stood out quite strikingly against the deep colour and
the only jewellery she wore was the thin gold chain attached to the
amulet that Rick had fashioned for her several months back.
 =

   Rickkter had also chosen red, though the jerkin he had chosen was
dark to the point of almost being brown in colour. Contrasting that was
the white doublet, complete with frilled sleeves, underneath. A small,
stylish dagger carried on a thin belt was the only ornamentation he
wore.
 =

   Each of the Keepers was sure to shake off any residual snow that was
still in their fur and tails. The Maugnards, like many others, had taken
this into account and draped the walls of their entryway with thick
canvass sheets. Animal morphs in winter had a tendency to emulate their
wilder cousins and vigorously shake off any moisture upon entering a dry
house. A large rug of wool, woven into a simple pattern, had been put
down for the same reason.
 =

   The group was led into a room that was dominated by a large table of
a golden blonde wood. Against one wall was a low cabinet in the center
of which was a bronze statue of a knight on a rearing horse. Spaced
evenly around the table were seven chairs of the same color. On the
table in front of each chair was a place setting with a plate, cup and
matching knife, fork and spoon, all of fine pewter. There were two
platters piled high with large hunks of black bread. Between them was a
small bowl filled with slices of fresh butter. On the walls around the
room were paintings of different sizes and subjects. One showed a pair
of wolverine morphs dressed in fine clothing that looked down upon the
room.
 =

   Lighting the whole room was a large chandelier of highly polished
bronze. From each of it=92s twelve branches dangled a burgundy colored
candle. Brightly illuminating the entire room.
 =

   They had barely a moment to examine the room before their hosted
entered in through another door. The wolverines walked up to the two
couples and bowed deeply. =93Welcome to our home,=94 Andre said cheerfully.
 =

   Andre was dressed in a tan shirt, over which was an electric blue
vest. He was wearing pants of the same startling shade of blue. Jenn was
wearing a light blue, dress that was brocaded in silver and dark blue.
Around her neck was gold necklace and on her fingers were a pair of
silver rings. =93I=92m glad you could all come,=94 she said cheerfully.
 =

   =93I wouldn=92t miss this for anything,=94 Caroline said as she hugged t=
he
female wolverine.
 =

   She turned and hugged Kayla. =93Thank you for coming.=94
 =

   =93It=92s a pleasure,=94 the skunk answered. =93Thank you for inviting u=
s.=94
 =

   Jenn had to bend over a little to properly hug Kimberly but the rat
woman didn=92t seem to mind and returned it happily.
 =

   =93Good lord, Andre, you two have really put out a great feast. We
celebrating anything in particular?=94 Misha asked.
 =

   Andre shrugged. =93Do we need a reason to get together with good
friends?=94
 =

   =93No,=94 Misha answered =93But it=92s been too long since we had such a
fancy dinner!=94
 =

   =93It was Jenn=92s idea really,=94 Andre explained.
 =

   =93It=92s been far too long since we=92ve all been together,=94 Jenn
explained. She gestured to Rickkter and Kayla. =93And we have new friends,
who have not been here before. I thought it might be a nice thing to
have everyone together for a good, hardy meal.=94
 =

   =93It=92s a wonderful thing to do,=94 Caroline commented.
 =

 =

***************
 =

 =

   Rickkter took a glass of red wine and sipped it. =93This is a fine
vintage.=94
 =

   "The wines are from Sathmore! They are from the famous Armouth
winery!" Andre answered proudly.
 =

   =93You really spared no expense,=94 Misha exclaimed.
 =

   =93Only the best for our dear friends!=94 Jenn explained.
 =

  The group was seated around the table At one end sat Charles and
Kimberly the other Rickkter and Kayla. Between was Misha and Caroline on
one side and Andre and Jenn on the other.
 =

   They could smell the food long before it arrived in the room. The
wonderful smells wafting through the whole first floor of the house.
 =

   First came bowls of mushroom soup. The thick creamy soup had large
chunks of mushrooms floating in it along with all manner of herbs and
spices.
 =

   =93Delicious!=94 Caroline exclaimed as she ate spoonfuls of the soup.
 =

   =93Those are wild mushrooms,=94 Jenn explained. =93Grown under the keep
itself.=94
 =

   After the soup was finished Jenn and Adelaise cleared away the empty
bowls and then left of the kitchen. When they returned each was carrying
a platter piled high with small crescent shaped pastries.
 =

   =93And now my favourites,=94 Andre said cheerfully. =93Pierogies!=94
 =

   The platters were placed on the table giving them all a closer look.
Each platter had two types of pierogies. Half seemed to have been boiled
and the rest fried till they were crunchy and golden brown.
 =

   Charles looked at the two platters and sniffed. =93They smell
delicious.=94
 =

   =93What=92s in them?=94 Kimberly asked.
 =

  Jenn pointed to one platter. =93These are filled with cabbage and
mushrooms.=94 She then pointed to the other platter. =93And for the
carnivores these are filled with beef and lamb.=94
 =

   =93Both taste great!=94 Misha added.
 =

   Adelaise placed a large bowl in front of Andre.
 =

   =93This is called Chlopski Posilek, Peasant=92s meal,=94 the female
wolverine explained. =93It has bacon, cabbage and sausage.=94
 =

   =93Do I smell garlic in there?=94 Kayla asked.
 =

   =93Garlic and onions,=94 Jenn explained as Andre used a ladle to pour
some into a smaller bowl.
 =

   The rest of the meal did not end till the last of the food was gone
and the empty plates and bowls taken away.
 =

   If the main meal was good the dessert was amazing. A large, beautiful
cheese cake was the center piece and with a bowl of oranges and pears.
 =

   =93Fruit?=94 Misha exclaimed and quickly snatched up a pear. =93Where did
you find fresh fruit in the middle of winter?=94
 =

   The wolverines didn=92t answer but Jenn laughed. =93That=92s one of my
little secrets.=94
 =

 =

8/25/2008 7:05 AM