[Mkguild] MK Story Winter Horizons part 3

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Aug 30 22:04:21 EDT 2008

This is part 3 and the LAST part!
 =

*************
 =

   This room was smaller then the dining room but felt warmer. Several
chairs and a large couch were arraigned in a semicircle around a
fireplace in which a large fire burned adding warmth and light to the
whole room. Several small statues were scattered around the room
attesting to Jenn=92s skill at sculpting.
 =

   Conversation was surprisingly mundane, the weather, the coming
winter, local politics and all the local gossip. Being from Marigund
both Misha and the wolverines instinctively avoided all talk of religion
and the topic of work was avoided by the unspoken consent of all
present.
 =

   =93What we need is something to help pass the evening,=94 Andre announced
as he stood. Going to a cabinet at the back of the room he was quick to
retrieve and returned to the table with an ornately designed box. While
square, the top was darkly polished wood and held the design of an equal
cross defined by  inlays of blonde coloured wood. Paths between equally
spaced holes were also defined with the same colour inlay. Andre slid
out a draw from the bottom of the game board to reveal thirteen geese
carved from ivory and a single fox statue of gold.
 =

   =93The game is called Fox and Geese,=94 Andre announced. =93It's a game =
of
strategy in which the geese try and corner the fox without getting eaten
themselves. Typically, one player elects to be the fox and the other the
geese. As we have group tonight, more than one of us can take control of
the geese and we=92ll alternate turns.
 =

   =93The geese are placed so as to fill up all the points on one side of
the board. The fox can be placed on any vacant point remaining. The fox
moves first. On their turn, each side may move one counter. Both fox and
geese can move along a line, forwards, backwards, or sideways, to the
next contiguous point.
 =

   =93The fox may move along a line or jump over a goose to an empty
point, effectively eating the goose and removing it from the board. Two
or more geese may be captured by the fox in one turn, providing that he
is able to jump to an empty point after each one. The fox wins if he
depletes the gaggle of geese to a number that makes it impossible for
them to trap him.
 =

   =93The geese cannot jump over the fox or capture the fox. They must try
to mob him and hem him into a corner making it impossible for him to
move. The geese win if they succeed in immobilizing the fox.
 =

   "Well, I think I know what I=92ll play," commented Misha, his tails
flicking up against Carol, as he reached forward for the little golden
statue.
 =

   =93In that case, honey,=94 said Caroline as she reached for a goose,
=93you=92ll be able to tell us what it feels like to be nibbled to death by
geese.=94
 =

   That got a good laugh out of everyone in the room. =

 =

   But it was the wily fox who was victorious the first few rounds.
Eventually the rest managed to get him cornered and it was Charles, for
having made the final, pinning move, who took over the fox. He fell
swiftly to Caroline the next round. The pretty otter stuck her tongue
out at him, playfully stating she had no choice but to avenge her man.
Even so, she barely managed to hang on to the fox for another two turns
before Jenn took it over. And such went the game, couples switching off
for the group and even a few individual matches.
 =

   Andre leaned back in his chair away from the grudge match between
Charles and Rickkter. =93You=92re wondering about that painting, Kayla?=94
 =

   The skunkess nodded as she leaned back and folded her arms over his
front. She had been staring at the painting on the wall to the side of
her for a few minutes now. =93I was looking at the  coat of arms,
actually. There are some parts of it that I can=92t recall seeing
elsewhere, or if I have, I can=92t remember what they are.=94
 =

   =93Well, those belong to my esteemed grandfather, the man in the
picture,=94 Andre answered. =93Andrew. He saved the life of Lord Albemerle
at the battle of Marsten Fen after Maldred=92s horse was cut down. Andrew
held the attackers at bay for over twenty minutes. For that he was
knighted and awarded a small fiefdom.=94
 =

   The artwork in question was a large oil painting of a short man in
battered armor wielding a large halberd. He was standing over the
sprawled body of another man, this one dressed in the fine regalia of a
nobleman. Beside it was a beautifully done coat of arms, echoing the one
on the Maugnard house=92s door. But this one, being made out of an almost
full size shield, was more detailed.
 =

   The pattern on the shield was that of a per chevron, the shield
divided in half with the middle of the lower portion rising into the
top. Red was on top, blue on bottom and it was filled with the usual
heraldic elements. Flanking it were sculptures of its supporting
animals, the very top holding a crest with a knight=92s helm and the
wreath.
 =

   =93Well, that does explain things,=94 she said and nodded. =93I know that
the red is always associated with military strength and battles, but I
usually see that on the decorations. The armoured gauntlet with the pike
shown as orange here meaning it was worthy ambition that lead to
leadership. Usually the two colours are reversed.=94 She nodded again.
=93The lower half of the chevron as blue again says loyalty.=94 Kayla turned
and gave Andre a quick smile as she named off the symbol in the lower
right corner. =93A white Star of David. I didn=92t know you were a
Predecessor. The helm and wreath at the top are standard, the crest
again echoing the main colours of the shield, those of a loyal warrior.=94
 =

   =93Very good,=94 Andre said as he smiled and nodded. =93The bear on the
right represents ferocious protection, the way Andrew fought so
intensely to defend Lord Albemerle. Like a bear defending her cubs.=94
 =

   =93The stallion flanking it represents of course the King, and its
position allows the bear to be shown as the King=92s right hand,=94 Kayla
finished. =93It=92s the crescent that I can=92t recall.=94
 =

   =93The crescent means he had been honoured by the king,=94 Rickkter
interjected. =93The purple implies it doubly so.=94 His muzzle hung open in
a smile as he moved one of the ivory pieces into position and looked up
at Charles. =93Nibbled to death by geese.=94
 =

   =93Oh, I just remembered something,=94 Jenn exclaimed. =93I have a batch=
 of
mulled wine that I=92d put on during dinner, as something we could all
have after. I forgot to tell Adelaise to get it. It should be ready by
now.=94
 =

   =93Sounds good to me,=94 Andre replied, giving his knees a slap. =93I=92=
ll
help you bring it in.=94
 =

   =93No, no need for that,=94 Rickkter said, waving the wolverine down. =
=93I
would be more than happy to help, Jenn. I=92ve been sitting on my behind
all day with Muri in the library. I could use the excuse to be up and
about.=94
 =

   Jenn nodded and gave Rickkter a small smile, showing just a little of
her muzzle full of teeth. =93Since you insist. It=92s just in the kitchen
out back.=94
 =

   =93Don=92t let the cold get to you,=94 Kayla added with a wink.
            =

   Jenn took a shawl off a hook in the back room and wrapped it around
her head and shoulders. =93Oh, don=92t worry about the cold, Rick. The
kitchen is right out back.=94
 =

   =93Hee, somehow I think I=92ll live.=94
 =

   =93You=92ll take any excuse to avoid losing the rematch, won=92t you?=94
Charles called after him.
 =

   The kitchen itself was a small stone building in the middle of the
yard out back, placed a good twenty feet back from the house itself to
avoid possible fire damage. Despite the snow, Rickkter could see a small
curl of smoke rising from the chimney. Jenn quickly ushered him in
through the door to the nice, warm inside.
 =

   =93Ah, that=92s wonderful,=94 said Rick as he briefly warmed his paws ov=
er
the oven=92s fire. From an iron hook over the fire was a small pot filled
with a red liquid that bubbled quietly. From the smells rising from it,
he was sure the pot was filled with the spiced wine. On one side of the
wall of the kitchen was a door leading to what he assumed was the
pantry, a second door leading to a root cellar. He knew that, because
even in winter the area around the cellar had a particularly earthy
smell to it. He glanced over briefly at the female wolverine where she
was gathering up goblets for them to use. =93Jenn, may I ask you
something?=94

   =93I suppose so. What is it?=94
 =

   Rickkter leaned back and tucked his paws under his arms. =93I was just
wondering why you hadn=92t told Andre that you were pregnant.=94
 =

   Jenn almost dropped one of the goblets. =93How=85 how did you know?=94 s=
he
stuttered.
 =

   Bowing his head a little, a slight smile on his lips, Rickkter leaned
back against the cutting table in the centre of the room. He moves one
paw and tapped his temple. =93Don=92t forget, I am a mage. I can see certain
changes in energy patterns around me. Not that I go around using
true-sight all the time you understand. I also can feel energy. Thus,
when we embraced in greeting earlier this evening, I was able to feel
something was different with you. A quick look confirmed things.=94
 =

   Jenn=92s short ears where against her head. =93That=92s extraordinary.
We=92ve been trying for years for a child and were beginning to give up
hope of ever having one. I=92ve only known for certain myself for a few
days now.=94
 =

   Rickkter allowed himself a fuller smile. =93For someone like myself
it=92s not difficult to see these things. When I look at you with
true-sight,=94 he said, holding out his paws for demonstration, moving
them as if to trace the shape of something, =93I don=92t see a person, I see
an arrangement of energy patterns. The most obvious is the Curse; it
wraps your body like a black gauze cloth, with small tendrils
throughout. There is a constant motion, an ebb and flow, of it and the
counter curse always at work against each other.=94 Jenn shifted a bit
self consciously at that and Rick hurried on. =93But beyond that, the most
striking thing I see is here,=94 he said, stepping closer and pointing at
the centre of her chest. =93Here is a small knot of very tightly woven,
very complex energies. That is your life force, your soul if you like.
And leading off that,=94 he moved his fingers slowly down her front to
just over her belly, =93is a small thread of that energy feeding a tiny
spark of life right here.=94
 =

  Jenn still had her ears crooked back as she placed one of her paws
over her belly. =93I=85 I never even imagined anyone would be able to tell
for a few months yet.=94
 =

   =93And in most cases you would be right.=94 He smiled and shrugged.
=93There are always exceptions.=94
 =

   =93Can you tell me anything else? Is the baby healthy?=94
 =

   Rickkter shook his head. =93I=92m sorry, no. It=92s too early along. I
wouldn=92t be able to tell you very much for at least another month,
month-and-a-half.=94
 =

    =93You know, you don=92t strike me as the kind of person who would have
a lot of experience with pregnant women and babies.=94
 =

   =93Believe it or not, many years ago now, I used to work for a healer.
I was in love with her=94 He bowed his head once more, smiling as his tail
swished against the table behind him. =93She was one of only a handful out
in a rather remote area. There were a few small hamlets, mostly farms. A
few larger estates. Suffice it to say, aside from the odd physical
injury, pregnancy and births were the most common things we dealt with.=94
He laughed a little. =93In all my years, I=92ve seen many kinds of births.=
=94
 =

   =93I=92m still unsure when I should tell him.=94
 =

   Rickkter shrugged. =93The sooner the better, I think. While I may not
have known him as closely as you or Misha, Andre strikes me as the kind
of person who would greet such an announcement with nothing but great
joy.=94 He laughed. =93In fact, I think this snow is about all that would
keep him from shouting it as loud as he could from the walls of the Keep
himself.=94
 =

   Jenn finally laughed, nodding as well. =93Yes, he is that kind of
person.=94
 =

   =93If what you said was true, about the two of you trying for years for
a child, then I think that the only thing that could even compare is
when you accepted his hand in marriage.=94
 =

   Jenn chuckled and flicked her tail a bit as she turned back to pick
up the goblets.
 =

 =

***************************************
 =

 =

   =93Ah, there you two are,=94 stated Andre with a smile as Jenn and Rick
walked in, the raccoon taking up the rear, holding the heavily steaming
pot of wine by its chain. =93I didn=92t expect it to be snowing so hard
you=92d get lost just yet. We were about to send Adelaise out to search
for you.=94
 =

   Jenn giggled a little as she went over to her husband and ran the
fingers of one paw through his fur. =93It=92s not quite that bad out yet,
love. Though it is getting worse.=94
 =

   Andre churred very softly under the touch of his wife=92s claws. =93So
what were you two doing out there.=94
 =

   Turning her head, she looked back at where Rickkter had hung the pot
of wine over the fire and was giving it a few slow turns with the ladle.
=93We were just discussing something=85 very important.=94 Jenn moved around
to the front of her husband and took his large brown paws in hers. She
looked into his deep brown eyes as she traced little patterns in the fur
on the backs of his paws with her thumb claws. =93After all this time
we=92ve done it; I=92m pregnant.=94
 =

   The silence in the room that moment was profound, with only the
crackling of the logs in the fireplace to be heard. =93You=92re=85 what?=94
Andre said as he leaned a little more forward in his chair, his muzzle
hanging partly open.
 =

   =93I=92m carrying our child, my love,=94 Jenn responded, giving his paws=
squeeze. =93Some time in late August, maybe September, we=92re going to be
parents.=94
 =

   With a loud shout of joy, Andre almost jumped up from his seat and
wrapped up his wife in a fierce hug, lifting her to the point where he
could press his muzzle against the thick fur of Jenn=92s neck. Laughing,
Andre ended up lifting her clear off the floor and swinging her
to-and-fore before setting her back down. He kept laughing the whole
time. =93You=92re certain of this?=94 he asked, his paws stroking her cheek
fur.
 =

   Jenn reached back and stroked Andre=92s fur in the same manner. She
could see his eyes shining with the tears of joy she felt in her own.
=93Yes, my love. It=92s finally happened.=94
 =

   The moment ended with clapping and polite cheers from the couch where
Misha and Caroline where seated. Both stood up and came over, Misha
clasping his friends on the back. =93You=92re pregnant?=94 Misha said amaze=
d.
=93You=92re pregnant!=94 he announced loudly That's great! I'm delighted!=
=94
 =

   =93Congratulations to the both of you,=94 Caroline said cheerfully. =93I
just know you=92ll make wonderful parents!=94
  =

   "Congratulations, good sir!" Charles crooned, face bright, whiskers
twitching in delight. "That is simply wonderful news!"
 =

   Kimberly smiled to Jenn and with one hand pushed her fianc=E9/husband
back into his seat. "We're both so happy for you."
 =

   =93Do you have any ideas for names yet?=94 Misha asked.
 =

   =93Ilyana if it=92s a girl and Andrew if it=92s a boy,=94 Jenn answered.
 =

   =93I thought we said it was going to be Judy if it=92s a girl and Aaron
if it was a boy,=94 Andre said.
 =

   =93No, you=92ll agree with Ilyana if it=92s a girl and Andrew if it=92s a
boy,=94 Jenn told him, patting his chest. =93I=92ll see to that.=94
 =

   The rest of the room got a good laugh from that. Misha held up his
glass. =93I=92d like to propose a toast,=94 he announced and bowed to the t=
wo
wolverines. =93To the future! May it always be bright!=94
 =

   =93To the future!=94
 =

 =

***************************************
 =

 =

   From that point onwards, the evening seemed to acquire a much more
jovial atmosphere. While the men tended to stick to the games and own
conversation, the women split off into their own group. Their discussion
naturally leaned towards babies, with Kimberley slowly dominating the
conversation. =

 =

   But, such things, pleasant as they may have been, inevitably come to
an end. Everyone at the house had duties to attend to in the morning and
all acquiesced when Andre stood and announced that their evening was
over. Standing in the entryway, illuminated by lamplight, each passed in
turn to give Jenn a hug -- Misha taking the opportunity to give her a
quick lick on the cheek -- and congratulate her and Andre with their
good news. Everyone agreed that her and Andre would make wonderful
parents.
 =

   The weather outside, though, was very much the opposite of the warm,
friendly atmosphere within the Maugnard. The howling wind did it's best
to peel back the layers of clothing the Keepers had wrapped themselves
in and drive its icy fingers through their fur. Each bent their head and
scurried through the streets as best they could, hugging the buildings
as much for assistance with direction as attempts of reducing the wind.
Misha's sense of direction in blinding snow was a good as any other
time, and he was able to lead the little troop up to the walls of the
Keep without getting lost in the streets of the ward. Much. Well...
twice.
 =

   Rickkter and Kayla split off from the rest of the group, Misha,
Caroline, Charles, and Kimberly all heading towards The Long House. Once
the raccoon and skunk had made it inside they took a few moments to
pause for breath and savour the sensation of warmth and a lack of cold
wind whipping ice and snow over their muzzles.
 =

   The main entrances to the Keep were all equipped with coverings like
Andre's house had been, something Kayla was quite thankful for as she
gave her sodden tail a few good shakes to help dislodge all the snow
that was built up in it.
 =

   "And we have... how much more of this?"
 =

   Kayla gave him a crooked smile as she rubbed a paw over one side of
her muzzle in an effort to warm it up. "Oh, only about four, maybe five
months."
 =

   Rickkter grumbled as he shook his overcoat, attempting to get the
mass of snow on the shoulders and back dislodged. Kayla laughed and took
pity on him, going over and reaching up to his shoulders to help clear
them and his head off.
 =

   "Most days aren't this bad, you know." She wrapped her arms around
his neck. "At least if you have someone to share it with."
 =

   "Is that so?" he asked. Sliding his arms under her winter cloak he
pulled her up into a kiss. "You know... I have this lovely fire place
upstairs that is just perfect for sharing as well."
 =

   Kayla's ears perked up as she feigned surprise. "Do you now? I may
just have to see that." And she pulled him into a deeper kiss, her body
pressing up against her.
 =

   Breaking the kiss, Rickkter looked down at her once more, his paw
still running slowly up and down her back. Her eyes shone with the light
of a nearby torch. =93So=85 you say we=92re in store for another four to fi=
ve
months of this weather?=94
 =

The End