[Mkguild] Metamor Mapping Project

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Jan 9 16:44:33 EST 2008

>This is, to my mind, the final version of the Keep and of Metamor Town.  The
>various locations at http://mkworld.wikidot.com/places:metamor-keep that are
>outside the keep proper have been marked.
>
>If there are any locations, or these need to be moved LET ME KNOW NOW!

Okay, I already sent information on the Killing Grounds that I think
should result in a reappraisal of their size on this map.  In my
opinion, you have the Killing Grounds far too small!

In all my stories, I've always described the Killing Grounds as much
larger.  And in my story, Lineaments of Coming Night, I set the
Summer Solstice Festival in the Killing Grounds.  There was enough
room for a full jousting arena there!

>The "mutable zone" has been clearly marked in RED as, apparently, there has
>been some confusion over where it extends.  Technically it should reach into
>the town square and the "Winter Asault Memorial" but I figure that was a one
>time thing.  If the memorial is somewhere else, PLEASE let me know now!

What do you mean by mutable zone?

>There is a market area just inside the "Killing Zone".  Why should merchants
>after going through Euper, up the damn ridge, and into the town, then have
>to go the length of it just to reach the square?  If there wasn't one before
>Winter Assault, there sure is now due to the necessity to bring up all the
>building supplies and stack them somewhere convenient before use.

That is fair, and makes sense to me.

>P.S. Of Water and Sewage: After Raven, I'm assuming that Kyia brings up hot
>and cold water into the keep.  The Duke's, being nice people, pipe it out
>and into the town, at least to the fountains.  Sewage (those that go through
>toilets in the keep) are piped directly back to Kyia to deal with.  Unused
>water is run through the fountains, and then down through pipes to Euper.
>Non-sewage (washing water for example) is also piped down to Euper.  Euper
>uses this primarily for industrial purposes (power), and manufacturing
>(leather/tanning), and then it runs through a crude stone aquaduct to a
>sinkhole a few miles away where it's dumped into the earth never to be seen
>again.  In Euper, sewage is dumped into this outflow to be "easily disposed
>of".  (Yes, medieval cities, and even Rome at its height, had significant
>sewer systems that wound throught the city, and then dumped the raw output
>into the nearest river).

That's fair.  Of course you realize most medieval towns used rivers
as power sources, and had the waters drive their machinery.  That's
the purpose of watermills!