[Mkguild] More Yvarra fiction!

Michael Bard bard.michael at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 06:21:26 EST 2008

I've gotten started on the next part of Yvarra's story and have it posted at
Shifti.

BEFORE READING PLEASE READ THIS!

1. The opinions are of her character.  For background reasons, she has a
VERY dim view of authority, KNOWS that it is all corrupt and evil, and talks
about it thus.  Or, I know that the Duke of Metamor is a good man, even
though Yvarra states otherwise in the story.

2. Yes, I know all the animal people are of limited species.  This is again
due to Yvarra's POV.   Though clever, she was self-educated on the streets,
and doesn't know much about things like "animal species".  Thus, "ox" is any
kind of bovine, "pig" could be domestic pig, boar, or any of a number of
others, etc.

3. The Killing Fields and the Gate.  This is partially exagerrated for story
reasons.  She got unlucky and got two real assholes on duty who thought they
could con her alicorn out and sell it for, to them, obscene amounts of gold.
It couldn't work, but then they're not the brightest candles on the block
(the main gate isn't a high security position given the recent successes
against the Lutins).

Massive gates were built as death traps.  They typically had a long passage,
completely covered, with at least one bend so that attackers couldn't charge
and build up momentum.  Gates and portculluses were spaced every so often,
and assorted murder holes for boiling oil, arrows, and other unpleasantness
for anybody stupid enough to attack through said gate.  Typically there were
passages to either side for friendly shooters, and above, for friendly
"pourers", thus the sensation she had of being watched.  And, given that it
IS a sealed passage to screw the attacker as much as possible, the torches
would be necessary.

As to tolls, they tolled EVERYTHING.  *ESPECIALLY* gates.  Tolls might be
waved on festival days, but that was about it.  Metamor might work
differently, but with the treasury gutted, any income would be vital.  If
they don't have tolls on gates, bridges, and other public works, the only
source of income is taxes.

4. Peace bonding.  I still can't see weapons being carried freely by
STRANGERS.  A peace bond doesn't disable a weapon -- wax won't stop you from
drawing it.  It's more an agreement of honour that the weapon won't be used.
Thus, even though everybody goes armed for their own safety, having
strangers giving their word not to use their weapons, and a wax seal being
proof, is a minimal precaution.  This can be discussed.

The apple on the alicorn is just the guards being assholes, so it doesn't
count.

5. Medieval towns didn't like strangers.  Given Metamor's situation as
surrounded by enemies and hatred, I can't see it being any more open to
strangers.  Yes, Matthias, merchants who visit regularly would have papers
or documentation, be known, and would be let through easier.  To the guards,
she is an unknown, no papers, nothing, not a member of the  Keepers, never
seen before, and automatically treated with suspicion.  (need to add the
request for any kind of documentation -- yes, there were papers of that sort
in the medieval period).

NOW you can read the story (or what exists of it so far) at
http://shifti.keil-draco.com/User:Michael_Bard/MK_story .  Still rough, a
lot of it was feeling my way through how I think the main (only) gate should
be.  Needs to get her senses in more and to be smoothed out.

You may now rip and tear.  :)

Michael Bard