[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter L

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Jan 16 17:58:20 EST 2008

>Yay, another chapter!!  Now if I can just pick up
>my writing pace, I may finish this before another
>year passes!  I've been writing 'The Last Tale of
>Yajakali' since January of 2006 now (I had been
>plotting it for a lot longer, but we all know that!).

That's almost true. I didn't have the Yajakali
plot line worked out until about halfway through
the first cycle, which was Spring of 98, so give me a few more months. ;-)

And of course, some of the other plotlines that
have become wrapped up in it started later.  A
lot of stuff got started with Liturgy of Blood
that I hadn't really thought about
before.  Without Liturgy of Blood, everything at
Yesulam, the Magyars, Cenziga, Cheskych, the
Vysehrad, and even Duke Thomas and Alberta, would never have happened.

>         Elvmere chittered angrily at himself,
>and then covered his muzzle with both
>paws.  Neither acolyte turned to see what had
>made the noise; they continued on down the hall
>and disappeared within a large doorway.

I'm sure he wouldn't approve of that line of work. ;-)

>         Clutching the stonework tight in his
>claws, Elvmere lowered his head and peered
>through the top of the doorway.  The worship area
>was large and strangely empty.  There were no
>pews inside, as he’d become used to seeing.  The
>floor stretched out empty, though the few who had
>come had brought small cushions on which to sit
>or kneel.

I thought it would be nifty.

>         He scanned both the entrance hall and
>the sanctuary, but no one watched the doors.  He
>lowered himself onto the door, and then scrambled
>down the relief work on the interior face.  He
>hoped that his act of necessity would not be
>interpreted disrespectfully by the gods.
>
> >>Who wouldn't be mad at someone crawling down their face!

Well, if they were cute enough, might be okay with it. ;-)

>         Abafouq busied himself with his things,
>going over and cleaning his many tools.  The
>Binoq remained eerily quiet as he worked, eyes
>intent, each motion precise, but almost
>mechanical.  He arrayed his climbing equipment
>first, equipment they had not needed in the last
>few months.  Once satisfied that each was in good
>working order, he placed them carefully back in
>his pack and then drew out his spare set of
>clothes, folded them and refolded them
>twice.  Finally he struck his tinder several
>times to make sure it worked.  He then repeated
>the entire process, proceeding more lugubriously each time.

Only a tiny bit!  I wanted to emphasize their
forced inactivity.  A bit of 'Hurry up and Wait' if you will.

>         Guernef had warned him not to think too
>much like stone.  He had to confess, the
>Nauh-kaee had good reason to do so; Charles had
>met at least one mountain that had wanted nothing
>more than to capture him and force Charles to
>become a mineral deposit!  But the smaller stones
>he’d communed with had all been eager to share
>his company for a short time.  A part of him
>yearned to continue to speak with them.

Yeah, you'd think he'd learn.

>         A whimsical smile crossed his lips, and
>his dark eyes met the human youth. “When they
>have completed this task, they are allowed to be
>apprenticed to a master.”

*grins* You have to love the dedication people
who can live thousands of years will give to a task.

>         Kurt stared at the Åelf in awe. “Do your tales last twenty
>years too?”

Glad you liked that one!

>         “Still, we must try,” Jessica pointed
>out.  The Binoq nodded, and drew back the
>blanket.  Beneath Tugal had been dressed in soft
>linen robes.  Bandages wound round her middle,
>and though they were not stained with blood, they
>held the foul odour of an open sore.

Indeed!

>         “I’m sorry we could do nothing,” Jessica
>said as she backed away from the lounge.  Abafouq
>and Kayla did as well, their faces betraying their disappointment.

>her?

Well, for this chapter at least. ;-)

>         Johann Tilly nodded to the Åelf and
>curled his fingers around the middle of his vest.
>“I command my crew, not control them.  But I will
>do what I can to keep them from whispering foolishness.”

Oh Metamorians on the High Seas?  How could there be trouble? ;-)

>         The tailor frowned and asked, “Tell me
>again the measurements about her waist?” The
>teenage boy repeated what he saw, and Tobias
>grunted, “At least that hasn’t changed.”

Quite possibly. :-)

>         “Did the curse not heal you?” asked the
>strange creature who hunched near
>Falkirk.  Egland regarded the merchant’s son,
>truly noting him for the first time.  His face
>was narrow, bereft of ears, with small eyes, and
>a russet colour.  His hands curled forward, his
>long digging claws almost larger than the hands
>themselves.  A long tail winded behind him, the
>end curling back, along which rose a tough scaly
>hide.  He’d never seen anything else like him at
>Metamor, but he’d already forgotten what he’d
>said he was.

Nope, but good guess!  I have plans for
Kendrick.  We'll see more of him later.

>         Kendrick made the sign of the yew with a
>precision surprising given his huge claws. “I
>heard that you were trying to start a capitular order here at Metamor.”

I may be misusing that word, but he'd like to
start a religious order of knights.

>         “Very well!  I shall indulge you, my
>Yisaada!” Egland conceded.  While Albeta watched
>with delight, the elk proceeded to remove his
>clothes.  He suddenly hoped that Intoran did not
>return too quickly from his daily chores.

*chuckles*

>         In fact, the entire carriage had been
>stripped of the many symbols of the Ecclesia
>after they’d left Yesulam.  It had once belonged
>to the now dead Bishop Jothay, the very Bishop
>who had sent the Driheli to kill them.

>the license plates too ;)

You're a few centuries too early for that. ;-)

>         Nemgas well remembered the day they
>learned the Driheli were chasing them.  They’d
>reached Barchumba on their way south, the great
>defile that afforded them entry to the upper
>reaches of the Vysehrad.  They ambushed a
>scouting party of two knights and their squires,
>one of whom would later become a Magyar and take
>the name Grastalko.  Into the Vysehrad they’d
>fled, all the way to the lost city Hanlo o
>Bavol-engro, known as Carethedor to its
>builders.  There, in the centre of the city, they
>found the grave of Pelain of the Suielman Empire;
>and he learned that Pelain had once climbed the
>terrible Cenziga, for he had also been cleft in twain, like Nemgas and
>Kashin.

Well, none of those events happened in 'Last Tale
of Yajakali'.  Plus, given that this is the start
of a new book, I felt it prudent to remind the
readers of all that's transpired to this point.

>         Kaspel snapped around, his face pale.
>“Ah!  Thank thee!” Kaspel took it and began to
>eat rapaciously.  Nemgas stared at the southern
>horizon, curious what the archer had seen, other
>than the gentle hills, he glimpsed nothing at
>all.  Nevertheless, he and the others hunkered
>closer to the fire to ward off a sudden chill wind.

Because you're reading one of my stories. ;-)

>GREAT reading Matt!

Glad you enjoyed it!  Thank you for the reply! :-)