[Mkguild] New Story Arc to Bounce Around

Raven Blackmane ravenb at transform.to
Thu Jan 17 22:30:51 EST 2008

Joshua Coene wrote:
> Just a question here...how did the relatively
> technologically-unequipped Metamorans /find/ some of these outer
> planets?  Uranus wasn't discovered until 1690, and it was thought to
> be a star until 1781.  Neptune was discovered in 1846.
>
> So...just wonderin'.  Without some serious powerful telescopes, which
> wouldn't have been possible until later times in history, how were
> these planets discovered in Metamor Keep-land?
Metamorians in 707 CR might or might not have the power to see the outer
planets -- we know that they have at least one telescope, in Channing's
tower -- but they would know about them because the gods passed down a
lot of information about the solar system to the mortal races.
(Remember, the gods aren't from around here; they were once travelers
from far across the stars, who found the earth when it was still young
and -- so they say -- helped to finish ordering its creation.) In
addition, the Lost Kingdom of Men was highly technologically advanced by
medieval standards -- so much so that they attempted to build a gateway
to pass between dimensions (with catastrophic results). Though their
civilization was destroyed, some of their learning was passed down to
the survivors, especially simple facts that anyone can memorize (like
the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun).

Humans in MK know about the heliocentric model of the solar system, and
they know how many other planets are out there, even if they can no
longer see them. They know that the earth is tipped on its axis, and
this causes the changing seasons. They know what solar and lunar
eclipses are, and the relative proximity of the planets. Details about
the nature of the different planets are probably still unknown -- though
Channing's telescope would be able to see the rings of Nathales, at least.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

--

"I love science, and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of
the subject or feel that choosing science means that you cannot also