[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LI

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jan 19 23:49:08 EST 2008

Here's the next chapter!

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LI

Three Ships to Sail

         The Yurdon river cut into the base of =

the ridge upon which Yesulam crowned like a =

golden diadem.  Its blue waters met the shore =

line in a profusion of grass and =

reeds.  Irrigation dikes drew the water inland to =

nurture farms and pastures, while outlets from =

the intricate sewers dumped waste water into the =

river.  A complicated series of pumps brought =

fresh water from upstream to keep the sewers =

flowing and the city clean.  The greatest =

Suielman engineers had designed it a millennia =

ago, and the greatest of Ecclesia engineers had =

improved it in the centuries since.
         Down upon the wharves at the base of the =

ridge, few appreciated the intricacies of =

Yesulam=92s water works.  While waiting for the =

promised vessel to return them to Stuthgansk, Sir =

Petriz of Vasks had little else to do.  He had =

grown weary of this northern land where few knew =

his tongue, and the tongue commonly spoken =

phrased everything so awkwardly that he knew he =

sounded like an idiot every time he opened his =

mouth.  He felt unnerved to see the sun in the =

southern sky, or to see such strange =

constellations at night.  He yearned to see the =

low forests and scrub of Stuthgansk again.  He =

yearned to see his home, a land where things would be as they had been.
         The Patriarch had finally opened the =

city gates to commerce, and so Sir Czestadt and =

he waited for the merchant vessel to finish =

Father Akaleth.  The other two priests had been =

unable to escape the duties their clerical office =

required, but they had made sure to offer Eli=92s =

blessing before the two knights had left the city walls.
         Now that they waited to depart, none of =

them seemed to have words for each other.  Sir =

Petriz sighed and studied the water flowing =

through the aqueduct for only the fifth time.  To =

Czestadt he said in a mumbled whisper, =93When the =

Magyars held me, I had no choice but to wait for =

weeks to do anything of my own volition.  I =

thought my patience had been tested then.  Now =

that we are to return home, I find I have no patience left to give!=94
         Sir Czestadt grunted and leaned against =

the wharf.  He dressed only in his tabard and =

chain mail with a dagger at his side.  All his =

other weapons had gone with his belongings into =

the vessel=92s hold. =93Patience is not something you =

give; it is something you receive.=94
         A faint smile cracked Petriz=92s =

lips.  He=92d once said the same thing when =

describing the many years he=92d spent praying and =

dreaming of being a Driheli knight.  Turning away =

from the aqueduct, he met the ever intent gaze of =

Father Akaleth.  How well he remember the day =

Akaleth had appeared beneath Ahadi=92s Inn, beaten =

and whipped, barely able to talk.  But even then =

Petriz couldn=92t miss the fierce determination in his every act.
         =93How is your hand?=94 Petriz asked, =

gesturing to the bandages wrapped about Akaleth=92s right hand.
         Akaleth did not look at his hand, =

keeping his focus upon the knight. =93It continues =

to heal,=94 he replied in the southern tongue, his =

accent mangled but comprehensible. =93Another week =

or two and I shall be well.  A scar will remain, =

but what is one more scar?=94 His eyes narrowed. =

=93You have a wound in your eyes, Sir Petriz.  Does =

knowing what you know set you ill at ease?=94
         =93A little.  We did find the evil and =

expose it, but how could it have ever gone so =

far?  How did it corrupt so many of the Ecclesia?=94
         =93We are men,=94 Czestadt replied. =93Do you need to know more?=
=94
         =93But we have been given special =

charges,=94 Petriz pointed out.  His eyes stole to =

Kashin.  The one-armed man still dressed in =

black, and he watched the dock workers load cargo =

on the vessel.  Kashin knew the Southern tongue =

better even than Akaleth, but he did not seem =

interested in the conversation.  Petriz =

continued, =93Special charge to uphold Eli=92s =

will.  When we ask the best and most of men, and =

when we do so with the aid of Yahshua and the =

Most Holy Ghost, do we not receive it?=94
         =93From those we know to be Saints,=94 =

Akaleth replied, =93we have.  From many others we =

do as well; those saints known only to Eli.  But =

we are all sinners, as the Canticles remind =

us.  Not a one of us can escape sin.  Not even =

the Patriarch, and certainly not men like you or =

I.=94 Akaleth frowned, his eyes seeing Petriz, but =

they looked elsewhere =96 inward. =93We are at our =

most dangerous when we think those special =

charges grant us impeccability.  That is as much contumacy as is heresy.=94
         Petriz sighed and nodded.  He had seen =

as much amongst the Driheli.  How many of his =

fellow knights rose to the standards of honour =

and chivalry he applied to himself?  Did =

any?  Did he?  But there had always been that =

certainty that something pure existed that was =

worth every sacrifice.  Now even that surety was no more.
         Unable to hold it inside any longer, he =

asked, =93But in what can we trust if the Bishops =

and even the Patriarch are subject to evil the =

same as the rest of us?  Where lies the purity of the Ecclesia?=94
         =93Where it always has,=94 Father Akaleth =

replied. =93And where it always will; with =

Yahshua.  It is He who gives the Ecclesia her =

authority, her holiness, and it is He who =

preserves her, despite the succession of inadequate men who have led her.=
=94
         =93And despite her inadequate servants?=94
         Sir Czestadt turned on him, one hand =

gripping a pylon to steady his weak legs. =93What =

cause have you to call yourself inadequate?  You =

sacrificed your life for your men, aided your =

captors when the elements threatened their lives, =

and even saw the truth and helped me to see =

it!  I have never met a knight possessing such =

devotion as you. Not a knight of the Driheli =

would dare utter a word against you.  Are you a =

sinner? Aye, but so are we all.  You prayed to be =

a knight to defend Eli=92s Ecclesia.  You have =

received the fulfilment of your prayer, and you dare to question Eli=92s wi=
sdom?=94
         =93Do not be quite so angry,=94 Kashin =

said.  Petriz felt the swell of indignation at =

his master=92s tirade fade with those words. =93Sir =

Petriz is merely learning a lesson you learned a =

long time ago when you left the Kankoran to become a Driheli.=94
         Czestadt glared at the one-armed man and asked, =93What lesson is =
that?=94
         =93The difference between innocence and =

virtue.  Until now, Sir Petriz remained ignorant =

of the evils that Bishops are capable of when =

they turn away from Yahshua.  Now he has seen it, =

and he has struggled against it.  Virtue is =

lonelier work, but it is the greater.  Do not =

weep for lost innocence when virtue is at =

hand.  For a knight of the Driheli, can there be anything greater than virt=
ue?=94
         Petriz shook his head. =93No, it is our =

highest calling as Driheli and as Followers.  I =

have been mourning when I should have been =

girding myself for greater challenges, haven=92t I?=94
         =93In a sense,=94 Kashin agreed. =93We never =

know what will bring us good. I certainly didn=92t =

think the Magyars would have brought me any good, as I know neither did you=
.=94
         Czestadt grunted and slapped his free =

hand on his thigh. =93Enough of this!  Sir Petriz, =

Knight Commander of Vasks, I remind you that you =

are a man with authority.  Others will see =

you.  Should you lose your faith, they will not follow you.=94
         =93I haven=92t lost my faith,=94 Sir Petriz =

replied, standing as tall as he was able.  He set =

his jaw firm, eyes hard, and met Czestadt=92s level =

glare. =93I haven=92t lost my faith at all.  Each of =

you,=94 he nodded to all three of them in turn, =

=93have given me the means to strengthen it.=94 He =

smiled then, a soft sure thing, and he knew what =

he said was true. =93The greatest challenge that I =

can know is to train our squires to be true =

knights who give their lives in service to the =

Ecclesia.  And I will begin with Karol.=94
         =93Begin?=94 Czestadt snorted, =93You have =

nearly completed the job already!  I can think of =

few squires, even my own Hevsky, who are more =

likely to be knights with your virtue.=94 The elder =

knight frowned and then shifted his legs back and =

forth. =93I owe you an apology, Sir Petriz.  I once =

thought your piety a weakness.  I never said so =

to your face, but I thought it in my heart.  I =

saw my prowess and my charisma, and my devotion =

to seeing out the will of the Bishops as =

sufficient.  I do not know your kindness.=94
         =93You choose me to be your squire,=94 =

Petriz replied, feeling anew the love he had =

always felt for this man.  It pained him to hear =

Czestadt speak ill of himself. =93That is an act of =

kindness I will never forget, nor stop thanking you for.=94
         Father Akaleth nodded to them both, and =

pulled his black cassock more tightly over his =

shoulders. =93We have all experienced great =

difficulties in the last few months.  We are all =

better men for it.  But enough of this now; I think your vessel is ready.=
=94
         As one they turned to the vessel and =

noted that the hold was sealed again, and men =

scampered along the rigging while others fitted =

the oars into their locks.  The merchant who had =

been greedily fussing over his wares as they were =

loaded no longer stood on deck.  The captain =

barked orders, and cast glances at the knights =

every few seconds.  Czestadt waved to him, and he =

waved back, gesturing at the oars and the sea.
         =93We should delay no longer.=94 Czestadt =

walked stiffly to the gangplank and then turned =

back to Akaleth and Kashin. =93If we never see each =

other again, it has been a great honour to know =

you both.  Eli=92s blessing be with you.=94
         =93And also with you,=94 Father Akaleth =

replied. =93I shall say prayers for the Driheli every day of my life.=94
         =93I shall miss you both,=94 Kashin =

said.  He offered his hand, and in turn, both =

Czestadt and Petriz clasped it. =93You are true =

knights.  Go, ride the seas safely, and may Eli bring you home.=94
         Sir Petriz followed Czestadt up the =

plank, turning at the ships rim to wave one last =

time. =93Thank you, for everything.  Yahshua bless you both!=94
         And then, when their feet hit the deck, =

sailors rushed in behind them and pulled the =

plank on board.  Czestadt and Petriz stood by the =

railing, even as the ship began to slide =

southwards with the current.  Father Akaleth and =

Kashin stood waiting, dwindling, until they =

disappeared around a bend in the river.  The two =

knights looked at each other, smiled as only =

their eyes could, and retired below decks.  Their labours were finally over.

----------

         =93I=92m glad I=92m flesh.  I=92m glad I=92m =

flesh.  I=92m glad I=92m flesh.=94 Charles muttered =

this mantra to himself as they carriage bumped =

and jostled along the wharf-front.
         =93What=92s that, Charles?=94 James =

asked.  The donkey sat next to him in the =

carriage, long ears nearly brushing the lacquered interior roof.
         Charles turned away from the evening sky =

and back to his friend. =93Oh, nothing.  Just happy =

to be flesh again.  Honestly, I had begun to forget what it was like.=94
         James smiled and shifted about on the =

carriage seat, repositioning his tail.  The one =

drawback of the Duke=92s hospitality was that so =

few of his chairs bore accommodations for =

tails.  Charles sat on the end of the seat that =

his might not be so painfully cramped.  Jessica =

did not even bother trying to sit down; as soon =

as she climbed into the carriage she=92d shrunk =

down to the size of a normal hawk and perched on =

Lindsey=92s leg.  Habakkuk sat between the opposing =

benches and leaned back against his long =

tail.  Only Kayla managed to lean back, her long =

and voluminous tail an extra cushion for her head.
         The others of their company followed in =

the next carriage, and before them Duke =

Schanalein, his son, and the Bishop rode together =

out to the wharves.  Captain Tilly rode with =

them, a fact that Kayla had groused about at =

length.  She had hoped the sea captain would have =

ridden with them, that they might have had a =

chance to allay his concerns about their presence on his ship.
         Habakkuk had assured her several times =

that there would be more than enough time for =

that once they were on board, but he only managed =

to reduce her complaints to muttered grumbling.
         Now they sat in relative silence as the =

carriages rode alongside the wharves.  Charles =

stared through the small carriage window and =

admired the long row of merchant vessels docked, =

and the men scurrying like ants to load and =

unload cargo.  Flags from several different =

kingdoms topped the masts, many of them from the =

Southlands.  None from Sondeshara he noted with =

some disappointment, but it probably was for the =

best.  Had any Sondeckis seen the spectacle of =

their entrance as prisoners of the Bishop, they =

might have recognized Jerome.  Though the man who =

had corrupted the Sondeckis may be dead, he still =

had no desire to return to Yesulam and answer for his disobedience.
         Although, this would be the first time =

in nearly ten years that he had come so close to =

his once beloved home.  He sighed, wishing that =

things could have been different.  Had he never =

left, Zagrosek might not have been corrupted by =

Marzac, and his friend Ladero Alanez might not =

have been killed.  But then he would never have =

met his friends, nor his wife, Lady =

Kimberly.  And he would not now be a father of =

five.  How could he give any of them up just to change the past?
         He shuddered, feeling the absence of =

Kimberly and his children, something he had not =

truly felt in all those months of stone.  He shut =

his eyes tight, pressed his fists into his =

cheeks, and sought his Calm.  He brought to mind =

the desert sands, and the crisp blue sky, =

stilling all the anger and rage he felt.  A hand =

lay at his back, but he ignored it as he focussed his being on the Calm.
         And then, all his heartache left, =

leaving him only with a soothing sense of =

peace.  He remained there for several seconds =

before opening his eyes.  James, whose hand =

pressed into his back asked, =93Are you all right?=94
         =93Aye, I=92m fine now.  As I said, I=92m still not used to being =
flesh.=94
         =93You aren=92t thinking like stone are =

you?=94 Habakkuk asked, worry in his voice.
         =93Not much,=94 he admitted.  After all =

these years, he couldn=92t lie to the kangaroo =

anymore. =93I=92ve had a few moments when I=92ve wished =

to feel that way again, but that=92s all.  Stone =

really is different.  Even after we left the =

mountains, I still began to think more and more =

like granite.  If not for each of you, I might =

have stopped caring about fleshy things altogether.=94
         =93I never really knew that stone thought =

at all,=94 Kayla admitted. =93What are you trying to get used to again?=94
         =93Having feelings,=94 the rat said, =

shifting some in his seat.  His long tail curled =

around one ankle, and he began to pet it, =

trembling slightly at the scaly flesh and stubbly =

hairs. =93I=92ve missed my family, but until now, it =

was just something I thought about.  I didn=92t =

really feel it.  I didn=92t miss them the way you =

miss Rickkter.  More like how you would miss playing a good game.=94
         Kayla blanched. =93That sounds awful!=94
         =93At the time, I didn=92t know how awful it =

was.  Even now, I have to assure myself that the =

things I enjoyed as stone are not worth the =

things I will lose.=94 He sighed and spread his =

paws. =93If you see me looking forlornly at any bit =

of rock, please distract me with something truly =

important.  I don=92t want to feel that temptation, not now.=94
         The carriage began to slow, and then it =

rocked back and forth on the cobblestones.  James =

winced as his tail pinched beneath him, while =

Habakkuk had to grab at the wall to keep from =

falling over.  Lindsey grunted and offered =

Jessica his arm; she hopped onto it. =93Well, we=92re =

here,=94 the northerner said as he climbed to his =

feet, being careful not to smack Jessica=92s head into the carriage ceiling.
         This section of the wharf had been =

cordoned off by the Duke=92s soldiers.  Only a =

single ship, triple masted with square sails, =

docked at the long pier.  Salt choked the air, as =

well as the reek of human sewage.  Charles and =

the other Keepers put their paws to their noses =

as they stepped out of the carriage.  Sailors =

turned to stare at them, most of them making the =

sign of the yew over their chests.
         Their other companions exited the =

carriage behind theirs, except for Guernef who =

had flown and now began circling to make his =

landing.  A quartet of soldiers immediately =

flanked Duke Schanalein as he and his son stepped =

from their carriage.  Bishop Hockmann followed =

behind; the spectacled priest also rubbed his =

nose to hide the malodorous odour.
         Captain Tilly walked beside the Duke, =

gesturing to the large ship and saying something =

they couldn=92t hear.  But their eyes were struck =

from the ship by the sound of a dozen horses =

neighing in relief.  Along one side of the docks, =

several ostlers struggled to mollify the golden-furred Rheh.
         =93The Rheh!=94 James shouted with =

delight.  The donkey ran towards them, and so too =

did the other Keepers.  The ostlers saw them =

coming and as one broke and ran down the =

pier.  One of them dived into the water to get =

out of their way.  The magnificent equines =

pranced, hooves clattering on the stone pier, and =

then rushed up to greet their riders.
         And with graceful ease, the Rheh found =

each of their riders, nuzzling and hugging them =

with their neck.  The Keepers laughed, and even =

Andares broke into a mirthful grin as he touched =

the steed that had chosen to bear him.  Behind =

them Guernef landed, startling the Duke and Captain Tilly.
         =93You bring chaos to my ship as she has =

never seen!=94 Tilly declared as he crossed =

himself. =93None of my men can bring your horses =

below decks to their berths.  I assume that you =

will be able to do what they could not?=94
         =93The Rheh will only go where they wish =

to go,=94 Andares replied. =93That they have =

consented to go with us any further itself is a =

gift granted.  And without price.  They will =

follow us into your vessel=92s hold, but your men =

should not attempt to treat them as horses.  They =

are passengers with equal standing to the rest of us.=94
         Captain Tilly scratched his short beard, =

bemused. =93Are they not just horses?=94 One of the =

Rheh stomped his hoof and snorted derisively at =

the sea captain.  Tilly blinked and nodded his =

head. =93Forgive me then.  I am but a simple =

sailor, and do not know out these things.=94
         Andares and Qan-af-=E5rael began walking =

up the wide loading ramp, the Rheh following =

after them. =93We shall guide them where they must =

go.  If one of your men would show us,=94 the =

younger =C5elf suggested.  One of the ostlers =

hurried up the ramp first, eyes wide in astonishment.
         Guernef squeezed past them, squawking at =

the captain who quickly danced out of the =

Nauh-kaee=92s way.  He then followed the Rheh up =

the ramp and onto the ship.  The Keepers waited, =

sensing that Duke wished to speak still.  Kurt =

managed to stand still like the soldier he=92d =

become, but his eyes betrayed his eager =

impatience.  Bishop Hockmann looked both wearied =

and fascinated, though whatever gratefulness he felt he kept hidden.
         =93Once again,=94 Duke Schanalein said as he =

came to the edge of the pier, =93I and all of =

Breckaris thanks you for saving us from du =

Tournemire.  I wish you Eli=92s protection on your =

journey ahead.  If there is anything more I can =

do before you depart, please ask it.=94
         Charles stood as tall as he could, and =

still did not equal Kurt=92s height. =93If you will =

be sending Tugal to Metamor, in the company of =

the Holy Sisters or not, I also ask that you send =

a message to our Duke, and to our families, that =

we are safe and have hopes of returning to them in the new year.=94
         Schanalein gave him a quick nod. =93You =

have my word that it will be done.=94
         =93Father,=94 Kurt interrupted, =93perhaps =

there is something more we can still do.=94
         =93What is that?=94
         =93You said that their liege is to be =

married upon the Winter=92s Solstice.=94
         Schanalein smiled, both to his son and =

to the Keepers. =93Very true.  In gratitude for thy =

efforts, I will send an official delegation to =

Metamor to attend Duke Hassan=92s wedding, and also =

to open up diplomatic channels with your kingdom.=94
         =93That is wonderful news,=94 Kayla said. =

=93Thank you, your grace.  I know Duke Thomas will =

gladly receive your men and afford them every courtesy.=94
         Kurt fidgeted and then added, =93Father, I =

seek the honour of leading this delegation to Metamor.=94
         Charles and the other Keepers =

smiled.  The rat nodded and said, =93Who better to =

lead it than he who led us to you.  Thank you, =

Kurt!  Your people will delight in you when your day comes.=94
         Duke Schanalein appeared a little less =

pleased than the Keepers. =93I have my son back, =

and you would risk such a dangerous journey?=94
         Kurt gestured to the Keepers. =93For them?  Aye, Father, I would.=
=94
         =93Then so be it.=94 Schanalein smiled =

again, and patted his son on the shoulder. =93You =

shall lead the delegation to Metamor, and provide =

protection for Tugal and the Holy Sisters.  Your =

grace, is there any impediment to their intention =

of establishing a convent in Metamor Valley?=94
         Surprised at being addressed, Bishop =

Hockmann fumbled with his spectacles before =

nodding and stuttering, =93There is... is but one =

matter, your grace.  I have no authority to =

establish any such convent.  They will need the =

permission of Bishop Ammodus who overseas that =

diocese.  I will write them a letter of intent =

and have it delivered to Kelewair.=94
         =93Then it is settled,=94 Duke Schanalein =

turned back to the Keepers. =93When you return to =

your home, I hope you will find Tugal there, and the Holy Sisters.=94
         =93I do as well,=94 Kayla replied, and her =

words were soon echoed by the other Keepers.
         =93I hope our paths cross again,=94 Kurt =

said, smiling and extending his hand. =93Thank you =

all for everything you=92ve done.=94
         One by one they shook hands with Kurt, =

before starting up the ramp to the ship.  Duke =

Schanalein waved them on board, and Bishop =

Hockmann prayed a blessing over their voyage.  On =

board the sailors worked hard to ready the ship, =

one of whom busied himself hanging lamps from the =

fore and aft decks to keep the light even into =

the approaching night.  Captain Tilly shouted =

orders from the helm, while one of the sailors =

nervously gestured the Keepers to the hold.
         Beneath they found the two =C5elf and =

Guernef securing the Rheh in a series of =

paddocks.  Foodstuffs and other supplies were =

stacked in boxes towards the bow and stern.  The =

hold ended in a blank wall at the fo=92c=92sle, and =

also at the aft castle.  No one else lay down in =

the hold.  After they had all climbed down the =

stairs at the aft castle end, the sailor shut the =

door behind them.  Lamps hung from the ceiling =

providing some light, while portholes lined the =

top of the hold, but through them they could see nothing.
         =93Well,=94 Lindsey said as he glanced =

around, =93here we go again.  Looks like we=92re sleeping on the floor agai=
n.=94
         =93At least now we can use straw,=94 James pointed out.
         =93You=92re a donkey, you like sleeping on straw!=94
         =93I=92d rather have a bed,=94 James admitted, =

long ears folding back, =93but straw is better than =

many things we=92ve slept on in the last few months.=94
         =93Isn=92t that the truth!=94 Lindsey said with a sullen laugh.
         Jessica flew down from the northerner=92s =

arm and returned to her normal height at the =

bottom of the hold.  She stretched out her wing =

claws and glanced back and forth between them. =

=93We shouldn=92t be too critical of his grace.  We =

do have a lot more than what we thought we=92d =

have.  We should find ways to help Captain Tilly =

and his crew on this voyage.  I can watch from =

the crow=92s nest; my eyes ae better than any man=92s could be.=94
         =93You might be the only one,=94 Charles =

pointed out. =93I suppose I could find where the =

rats live on the ship.  I have some experience with that.=94
         =93Before you do that,=94 Abafouq said, =93We =

need to learn one thing.  Jessica, you must teach =

us this spell that will protect us against Marzac.=94
         The floor lurched beneath them; only =

James fell to the floor, catching himself with =

his hands, hoof-like nails thudding into the =

wood.  Jerome helped him back to his hooves and =

said, =93We=92ve cast off.  The next time we step on =

land, it will be on the Marquis=92s land.=94
         Qan-af-=E5rael nodded and invited the =

others to sit with him. =93Then let us discuss what =

we shall do these next few weeks both on board =

and on land.  Jessica, please start by telling us this spell.=94
         As they all gathered together, Jessica =

began to speak words that made no sense to =

Charles and most of the Keepers, but to the =C5elf, =

the Binoq, the Nauh-Kaee, and to Kayla, all =

seemed a revelation.  Qan-af-=E5rael smiled as he =

listened.  Beneath them the ship began to rock gently back and forth.

----------

         The door to Nylene=92s chambers opened and =

the grating voice of the acolyte Thelina carried =

through, =93It is my duty to assist you in =

preparing you for your pilgrimage, Priestess.  As =

an acolyte, it is my place to tend to the needs =

of those inducted into the full sanctity of the Lothanasi priesthood.=94
         Nylene=92s gentle step crossed over to the =

middle of her room.  Elvmere, still a normal =

raccoon, stirred from the bundle of clothes in =

the prayer cell.  After returning from his =

investigations, he=92d found Nylene=92s chambers =

empty, and so had made a small bed for himself =

out of his clothes.  If any interlopers should =

find him, they would see only an animal, and =

hopefully, would bring no more suspicion on Nylene hin=92Lofwine.
         The acolyte followed Nylene into the =

room and shut the door behind her.  Nylene =

replied in a pleasant voice, =93I am grateful for =

your concern for our respective stations, =

Thelina, but I would much rather pack for this =

journey myself.  The Lothanas has asked you to =

accompany me, and so you have your own things to =

tend to ere we depart on the morrow.  Have you =

contacted Master Elsevier as I asked?=94
         =93I have, Priestess.  Master Elsevier =

says he will be delighted to dine with you this =

evening and discuss our voyage.  Metamor is a =

very long way, even by boat.  We will be gone for =

months.  There is much you will need, and you =

will need another to oversee their proper comportment.=94
         Elvmere crawled to the door frame and =

pressed his head against the base.  He shifted =

about, trying to see beneath the jamb, but with =

his beastly proportions, he couldn=92t quite =

manoeuver himself into position.  His claws, =

scrambling at the door, began to scratch it far louder than he=92d expected.
         =93What was that?=94 Thelina asked.  Elvmere =

jumped back into his pile of clothes and buried =

himself there, poking his snout and staring at =

the line of warm light coming under the jamb.  He =

heard the acolyte=92s footsteps coming further into =

Nylene=92s chambers, but the shaft of light remained.
         =93I merely asked when Master Elsevier =

would arrive.  It is nearly dusk now, and I do =

hope to partake of my evening meal before the nightly blessings are sung.=
=94
         =93I heard you, Priestess,=94 Thelina =

replied. =93But I thought I heard something =

else.  It sounded like a rat in the woodwork.  Filthy vermin!=94
         Elvmere felt indignant at being called a =

rat, and huddled deeper in his clothes.  But then =

he realized that if Thelina opened the cell door, =

he would be seen.  His best option would be to =

leap and run out the balcony, so he tensed his leg muscles, and waited.
         But Nylene=92s voice was as smooth as =

crystal. =93Then ask one of the other acolytes to =

come through these chambers after we=92ve left and =

lay traps.  We have far much to do, as you say, =

Thelina, to worry over an adventurous rodent.=94
         Elvmere didn=92t move a muscle as listened =

to Thelina turn about a few more =

seconds.  Finally, she said, =93Very well, =

Priestess, I shall have Helene set traps in your =

chambers after we leave tomorrow.  It is =

fruitless to argue.  Two hands work faster than =

one.  Together let us arrange your things.=94
         Elvmere twitched his tail and had to =

bite back the churr of irritation.  They =

certainly couldn=92t let this woman come with them; =

he=92d have to stay a beast the entire =

voyage.  Even spending his day in this form had =

heightened his animal instincts, a fact that =

bothered him.  Would he act like an animal at an =

inappropriate moment and reveal himself to =

Thelina or the ship=92s crew?  That would prove =

disastrous for himself and for Nylene, and he =

would not risk her any more than he already had.
         But Nylene seemed always to know what to =

say. =93Of course, you are most thoughtful to =

suggest it.  I will want to celebrate all of the =

standard rites on the pilgrimage, so the proper =

prayer books and instruments must be collected =

and prepared.  Also, I believe it would be =

fitting, in any pilgrimage to our most holy site, =

to wear the most traditional and ancient of =

attire.  I fear I have none of these things in my =

chambers.  If you would prepare those items for =

me, as you know better than I where they lay, it =

would greatly ease the burden of preparation.=94
         He could hear Thelina shuffling her feet =

as she tied to find a reason to stay in the room. =

=93That is... is wise, Priestess.=94
         =93And I know you must prepare for the =

pilgrimage as well.  Surely there are thing you wish to bring.=94
         =93I am but a humble acolyte and have =

nothing of my own.  It will not take long for me to prepare.=94
         Elvmere=92s ear twitched at the sound of =

booted heels coming up the hall to Nylene=92s =

chamber.  But the two women continued their =

verbal sparing for another minute before they =

were interrupted by a knock on the door.  The =

raccoon curled his tail around his paws and =

relaxed.  Maybe this would drive that insufferable acolyte away.
         =93Ah, Master Elsevier,=94 Nylene said with =

genuine politeness.  Elvmere could hear the =

gentleness in her voice, and it delighted him. =

=93Please come in.  Thelina will return shortly =

with some food for us to share.  Thelina?  Bring =

more fish if you would.=94  Elvmere buried his =

muzzle in the clothes to hide his delighted churr.
         =93As you wish, Priestess.=94 Thelina=92s =

footsteps echoed down the hall, and the door shut =

firmly behind her.  Elvmere drew his nose form =

the clothes and immediately smelled the odour of =

a man who worked with vellum; it was a musty =

scent, like rifling through old books.
         =93Ah, Priestess Nylene, it is a pleasure =

to see you again.=94 The man had an urbane voice, =

rich with the now familiar accent of Silvassa, =

poetic much like their city. =93Your letter arrived =

at a fortunate time.  I am planning to set sail =

soon, but if your needs demand, we can leave early.  I am ever in your debt=
.=94
         Nylene replied in a rather soft voice. =

=93What we have to say can wait until dinner =

arrives.  Here, sit and make yourself =

comfortable.  Oh, and I do hope you brought some =

of your new inks with you, and some vellum that we might try them out on.=
=94
         =93For you, of course, I would be happy to =

provide a sample of our wares.=94 Elsevier set =

something down on the small dining table.  It =

clinked like glass.  Following it Elvmere knew to be a sheaf of loose vellu=
m.
         =93Perhaps you can do one thing more =

before you grow too comfortable?=94 Nylene asked. =

=93I am feeling somewhat cold this evening.  The =

hearth is clean, and wood awaits its =

consumption.  If you would, build a fire that I might have warmth.=94
         Elsevier chuckled and said, =93I will =

gladly do so for you, Priestess.=94 The chair =

scuffed on the carpeting as the man =

rose.  Elvmere relaxed in his pile of clothes and =

let his eyelids begin to droop as he listened to =

the man striking tinder and coaxing the fire to =

life.  They shared a few more words, all of it =

respectful, but none of it saying anything =

revealing.  Only that Elsevier was readying his =

grandest ship for her pilgrimage to Metamor.
         So Nylene had told the Lothanas she =

wished to make a religious pilgrimage to =

Metamor.  Apparently her request had been =

granted.  But how was she going to bring Elvmere along?
         By the time Thelina returned with their =

dinner, Elsevier had brought the fire to =

life.  It crackled and hissed as he added bits of =

wood.  Thankfully, the bothersome acolyte did not =

stay long this time.  After she had left, and =

Elvmere knew she=92d left because he could hear her =

footsteps recede, Nylene and Elsevier continued =

their almost vacuous conversation as they =

ate.  But the whole while, he could hear them =

writing.  Elvmere squirmed and clawed at the cell =

floor, angry that he could not read their words.
         After what seemed an interminable time, =

Nylene rose from her chair and said, =93Forgive me, =

Master Elsevier, but your discourse on the =

waterways of the Silvassa have reminded me of a =

history that I wished to share with you.  I will bring it presently.=94
         Unable to help himself, Elvmere huddled =

deeper in his clothes as the footsteps =

approached.  He wanted to stand up to meet her, =

but the stronger part of him kept urging him to =

hide.  Her feet blocked the light before the =

door, and then she gingerly lifted the latch and =

drew the door open.  Elvmere covered his eyes =

with his paws and blinked until they adjusted to =

the light.  Nylene stared down at him, her mouth =

agape.  In one hand she held a piece of paper.  A =

bemused smile crossed her lips, and she lowered it for Elvmere to read.

         =93Please reveal yourself to my friend.=94

         Staring past Nylene=92s legs, he saw a =

balding man with ruddy jowls and a decided paunch =

leaning forward against the table, staring =

wide-eyed at the raccoon.  He said with a =

sardonic twist to his lips, =93I don=92t quite see =

what could be new or surprising in any such tome, =

at least not tone who has seen such things before.=94
         Nylene favoured Elvmere with a =

questioning glance, and he knew she was wondering =

if he=92d switch back to his man-like form.  He =

wanted to whisper, =93Not in front of him!=94 but of =

course, his vocal chords didn=92t work properly as =

an animal, so he said nothing and shook his head and pointed at Elsevier.
         =93Perhaps it merely needs to grow.  Like =

any bit of knowledge, it takes time to digest.=94 =

She stepped back and half-closed the =

door.  Elvmere took advantage of his privacy to =

do as Nylene hinted and grew back into his =

morphic shape.  He pulled on his clothes, =

smoothed out the rumples, and then stepped out, =

wary that his claws did not scratch the floor.
         Elsevier=92s eyes grew wider, and his =

hands began to tremble. =93Oh my...=94 he stuttered. =

=93That volume!  I have heard of it, only never =

seen it before.=94 He hastily scribbled a note and =

held it up that Elvmere might see.

         =93Metamor?=94

         He nodded and gestured to the pad of =

vellum and the other quill.  He could see several =

notes that the two had already written to each =

other.  Elsevier handed him the quill, then took =

those notes and tossed them on the fire.  The =

paper blackened and curled into ash.
         Elvmere wrote:

         =93Are spies listening?=94

         Nylene came behind him, one hand resting =

on his shoulder, and she nodded. =93As you can see, =

there is cleverness in this tome.  I think you=92ll =

find it a bosom companion for those many nights =

upon the sea.  But tell me of the arrangements =

for our trip.  I hope to grant you this book as a =

gift in repayment for your kindness to an old =

priestess seeking one last bit of excitement in her life.=94
         =93I hope the journey will not be =

exciting.  Squalls can sweep down on a ship =

unsuspecting in those waters at this time of =

year.  I would rather we did not face such =

adversity.  Ah, Wvelkim grant us a steady wind =

and a friendly sea!=94  As he spoke, he scribbled on the next sheet.

         =93I have two ships, my chief vessel =

Indigo, and a simple transport named Calf.  You =

will board the Indigo with her.=94

         =93And Elvmere?=94

         Elsevier pointed to the raccoon-man and =

over at the monastic cell which hung open. =93Now =

that is a fine book, good Nylene!  Something of =

so small a size, that I can easily take with me =

tonight, and I would be glad to do so.=94 He =

gestured to an expensive knapsack that leaned =

against his chair.  Elvmere would be able to fit =

inside should he be an animal, but not much else =

would.  He=92d already been lugged around in a =

barrel by the Sondeckis, and now this paper and =

ink merchant wanted to tote him on his back like a parcel of bread?
         Elvmere took the quill and furiously wrote.

         =93I will not be separated from the journals.  And what of my clot=
hes?=94

         The merchant looked between the raccoon =

and Nylene, a questioning look on his face. =

=93Perchance you might have more volumes than this on the subject?=94
         Elvmere carefully walked back to the =

cell and lifted out the satchel with Akabaieth=92s =

journals.  The merchant frowned, revealing a =

second chin. =93Several more volumes!  Ah, I do not =

think I can fit all of them, but I do happen to =

have an older ragged knapsack that I keep for such dreadful emergencies.=94
         Nylene smiled and replied, =93How very =

fortunate, Master Elsevier.  It is no wonder that =

you have prospered so; your foresight serves you well.=94
         Elvmere set the knapsack at Elsevier=92s =

feet, and then snatched a bit of fish from the =

platter on the table.  Like their morning meal, =

it had only been lightly seasoned, but to his =

tongue, it still tasted like manna.  Elvmere then =

picked up the quill and wrote:

         =93Will Thelina come with us?=94

         Elsevier shook his head, the frown deepening.

         =93Thelina will see to extra baggage for =

Nylene.  While away, Nylene will slip aboard =

Calf.  Ships will sail in opposite directions.=94

         =93Well,=94 Elsevier added, leaning back in =

his chair and smiling heartily to them both. =93Let =

me tell you about the Indigo, the mighty vessel =

we shall sail upon tomorrow.  You have given me =

much to ponder with your books.  I will give you =

much to anticipate.=94 And even as he spoke, he =

managed to write.  How he could handle two =

separate lines of thought at the same time, Elvmere could not imagine.

         =93Make sure you have what you need in one =

bag.  I do not want to risk moving more than that.  The switch must be quic=
k.=94

         Nylene nodded and said, =93I assure you, =

Master Elsevier, I will prepare for this =

illuminating venture with the proper level of =

austerity.  But there is much that must come =

along, as a priestess of the Lothanasi, and of =

Silvassa.  Thelina, a most helpful acolyte, is =

attending to those garments and tools.=94
         Elsevier smiled, and tossed the used =

bits of vellum in the fire.  He ate some of the =

fish, and then gestured at the plate to the =

raccoon-man.  Elvmere would have to ask him why =

he acted so calmly around a Keeper.  Had he been to Metamor before?
         But Elvmere gladly accepted the plate, =

scooping the rest of the fish in his paws, noting =

the soft pinpricks of a few bones the cooks had =

missed against his fingers.  His claws removed =

them with exquisite precision and then he =

devoured them as politely as he could.  Elsevier =

watched him out of the corner of one eye.
         Nylene laid her hand on his back and pet =

through his neck fur with one finger. =93I am =

growing weary, Master Elsevier.  I look forward =

to hearing more about your magnificent ship, but =

you must excuse me for the night.=94
         =93Of course.  We have only to pack those =

books we discussed and I will be on my way.=94
         Elsevier gestured to the expensive cloth =

knapsack and pointed at Elvmere.  He held both =

his hands out, and then brought them closer =

together.  The raccoon man nodded and headed back =

to the cell.  Nylene followed him, covering the =

sound of his footsteps.  When he stepped inside, =

she whispered to him, =93Are you comfortable doing this?=94
         He nodded. =93It is no worse than what I =

have had to do already.  I just don=92t want him to =

see me unclad.=94  He smiled to her, and she =

stifled a laugh.  He stepped back out of the =

merchant=92s sight and willed himself to return to =

his beastly form.  Nylene watched with awe-struck =

eyes as he shrunk down into his clothing, head =

flattening, thumbs changing into a fifth finger, and his height dwindling a=
way.
         When he finished, he crawled out of the =

pile of clothes and waved at her.  His paws =

reached no higher than her knees.  He gestured at =

the remnants of his clothes, and she bent and =

retrieved them.  Outside the cell he saw that =

Elsevier had opened his knapsack and had replaced =

the jars of ink and the remaining sheets of =

vellum in one side.  He held open the other; this =

pocket was large enough to hold Elvmere and a few =

books, or Elvmere and his clothes.
         Nylene quickly folded his garments and =

handed them to Elsevier.  The merchant stuffed =

them into the bottom of the knapsack, and then =

held the flap open for the raccoon.  Elvmere =

climbed inside, curling up in the bottom on top =

of his clothes.  And then another bit of cloth =

was dumped on his head.  He squirmed and poked =

his head above the fabric and saw white.  The =

robe of a Lothanasi acolyte.  Elvmere ran one paw =

across the coarse wool and twitched his whiskers.
         Glancing up, he saw Nylene smile to him =

and nod.  He nodded in return, and then slipped =

back underneath the robe.  He just hoped none of =

the temple guards thought to inspect Elsevier=92s bags.
         The merchant closed the knapsack and =

Elvmere felt his world rocking back and =

forth.  He braced himself in the bag until it =

settled.  He felt something solid on one side; =

probably Elsevier=92s back. =93Thank you for your =

hospitality, Priestess Nylene hin=92Lofwine, and =

for the opportunity to pay a meagre portion of the enormous debt I owe you.=
=94
         =93You have paid back more than you =

know.  Good evening to you, Master Elsevier.=94
         Elvmere managed to calm his instincts =

enough to curl against one side of the =

knapsack.  He poked his nose up over the =

acolyte=92s robe for fresher air, but otherwise =

stayed hidden.  He listened to the sound of =

Elsevier=92s boots echoing along the tiled halls of =

the temple, and the soft voices of acolytes =

tending their duties.  He could smell the rich =

incense, and the gentle scent of a people who regularly cleaned themselves.
         The merchant stopped when accosted by =

the guards, and Elvmere ducked back down beneath =

the robe, curling as tight as possible.  They =

exchanged a few words, and then the guards let =

him leave.  Elvmere waited until he heard the =

merchant speak again. =93We=92re safe now.  She wrote that your name is Elv=
mere.=94
         He poked his head above the robe, but =

with the knapsack closed, there was nothing to =

see.  Elvmere chittered as loud as he could, hoping the merchant heard him.
         =93You=92re probably wondering why your =

appearance did not startle me.  I have been to =

Metamor since the time of the curses, though only =

once.  But I had never expected to see a Keeper =

here in Silvassa!  I will...=94 he paused and =

Elvmere heard the sounds of other footsteps =

nearby.  After they receded, Elsevier continued, =

=93I ask that you stay hidden until we are a day downstream.=94
         He said nothing more for several long =

minutes.  Elvmere found his confinement strangely =

comfortable and began to doze lightly.  When the =

steady rhythm of the merchant=92s footfalls =

stopped, he perked his ears and blinked open his =

eyes to the darkness.  Elsevier no longer walked =

on stone, but climbed up a wooden plank.  And =

then the wood echoed differently, and a few words =

were exchanged between Elsevier and another =

man.  Elvmere could not make out the words.
         And then they were walking again.  But =

only a short distance this time.  Within a few =

seconds, he heard a door close and latch, and =

then Elsevier set the knapsack down and opened it =

up. =93You=92ll be safe in here for the night.  This =

will be your quarters with Priestess Nylene.  Do =

you sleep in a bed or in a nest?=94
         Elvmere crawled on all fours out of the =

knapsack and surveyed the room.  He stood upon a =

solitary bed of reasonable quality for a sailing =

vessel.  Beside the bed, the night stand bore an =

oil lantern and a small reflecting glass.  A =

clothes chest sat beneath the single porthole =

looking out onto the night sky of =

Silvassa.  Apart from these few things, the room was empty.
         Elvmere stood on his hind legs and made =

a turning motion with one paw.  The merchant =

nodded and turned around.  After changing into =

his man-shape, he slipped into the acolyte=92s =

robe.  Though a little tight around the waist, it =

provided ample room to hide his tail, and the =

sleeves came right to his wrists just as he liked =

them.  The collar was a simple V, exposing some =

of his chest fur, but nothing indiscreet.
         =93I prefer a bed, but if none is =

available, I will make a nest of my =

clothes.  These are far better accommodations =

than I had on my last voyage, Master Elsevier.=94
         The merchant turned around, and =

appraised him with a warm eye. =93So you are =

joining the Lothanasi order?  Good man.  With =

Nylene as your guide, you will bring great things to the Order.=94
         =93Thank you.  Do you think your plan will =

work?  And aren=92t you jeopardizing your position =

as a respected citizen of Silvassa?=94
         Elsevier waved one hand and shook his =

head. =93Not significantly.  If things grow =

desperate, I will relocate to Isenport.=94 He took =

a deep breath and then extended his hand. =93I have =

much I still need to prepare.  I must make it =

appear that all my efforts are going towards =

Indigo=92s departure.  I very much wish to talk with you more, Elvmere.=94
         Elvmere clasped his hand, careful not to =

nick him with his claws. =93And I you, Master =

Elsevier.  I do wish to hear of this debt you owe, Priestess Nylene.=94
         Elsevier smiled and shook his paw =

firmly. =93You will, young acolyte.  You will.=94
         Elvmere had to shut his muzzle tight to =

keep from laughing out loud.  It had been decades =

since anyone had called him young!  But now it =

was true.  Dressed as a Lothanasi acolyte, =

bearing the marks of a raccoon just come into =

manhood, he appeared even younger than when he=92d =

pretended to be Malger=92s apprentice.
         =93And now I bid you good night.  I shall =

bring you something to eat in the morning.  That =

will be all I can offer until we are on our way.=94
         =93That will be fine.  Thank you, Master =

Elsevier.  And good night.  May all the gods bless you and your family.=94
         Elsevier smiled, a soft gentle thing =

that brought a warm light to his face even in the =

gloom of the single oil lantern. =93They =

have.  They have.=94 He shook Elvmere=92s paw firmly, =

and then patted him on the shoulder. =93And may the =

gods bless you, Elvmere of Metamor.=94
         When the merchant closed the door behind =

him, leaving the raccoon-man alone, Elvmere =

whispered softly, =93I pray that they do.  I pray that they do.=94