[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LI

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 21:19:54 EST 2008

 =

-----Original Message-----
From: mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org
[mailto:mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org] On Behalf Of C. Matthias
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:49 PM
To: Metamor Keep
Subject: [Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LI
 =

Here's the next chapter!

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LI

Three Ships to Sail

        The Yurdon river cut into the base of the ridge upon which
Yesulam crowned like a golden diadem.  Its blue waters met the shore
line in a profusion of grass and reeds.  Irrigation dikes drew the water
inland to nurture farms and pastures, while outlets from the intricate
sewers dumped waste water into the river.  A complicated series of pumps
brought fresh water from upstream to keep the sewers flowing and the
city clean.  The greatest Suielman engineers had designed it a millennia
ago, and the greatest of Ecclesia engineers had improved it in the
centuries since.
        Down upon the wharves at the base of the ridge, few appreciated
the intricacies of Yesulam=92s water works.
 =

 =

>>> Few people do appreciate such things until they stop working!
 =

 =

  While waiting for the promised vessel to return them to Stuthgansk,
Sir Petriz of Vasks had little else to do.  He had grown weary of this
northern land where few knew his tongue, and the tongue commonly spoken
phrased everything so awkwardly that he knew he sounded like an idiot
every time he opened his mouth.  He felt unnerved to see the sun in the
southern sky, or to see such strange constellations at night.  He
yearned to see the low forests and scrub of Stuthgansk again.  He
yearned to see his home, a land where things would be as they had been.
 =

 =

>>>Home is where the heart is!
 =

        The Patriarch had finally opened the city gates to commerce, and
so Sir Czestadt and he waited for the merchant vessel to finish loading
its cargo.  With them waited Kashin and Father Akaleth.  The other two
priests had been unable to escape the duties their clerical office
required, but they had made sure to offer Eli=92s blessing before the two
knights had left the city walls.
        Now that they waited to depart, none of them seemed to have
words for each other.  Sir Petriz sighed and studied the water flowing
through the aqueduct for only the fifth time.  To Czestadt he said in a
mumbled whisper, =93When the Magyars held me, I had no choice but to wait
for weeks to do anything of my own volition.  I thought my patience had
been tested then.  Now that we are to return home, I find I have no
patience left to give!=94
        Sir Czestadt grunted and leaned against the wharf. =

 =

 =

   >>>He leaned against the whole wharf? Don=92t you mean he leaned
against a piling as he stood on the wharf.
 =

 =

 =

 He dressed only in his tabard and chain mail with a dagger at his side.
All his other weapons had gone with his belongings into the vessel=92s
hold. =93Patience is not something you give; it is something you receive.=
=94
        A faint smile cracked Petriz=92s lips.  He=92d once said the same
thing when describing the many years he=92d spent praying and dreaming of
being a Driheli knight.  Turning away from the aqueduct, he met the ever
intent gaze of Father Akaleth.  How well he remember the day Akaleth had
appeared beneath Ahadi=92s Inn, beaten and whipped, barely able to talk.
But even then Petriz couldn=92t miss the fierce determination in his every
act.
        =93How is your hand?=94 Petriz asked, gesturing to the bandages
wrapped about Akaleth=92s right hand.
        Akaleth did not look at his hand, keeping his focus upon the
knight. =93It continues to heal,=94 he replied in the southern tongue, his
accent mangled but comprehensible. =93Another week or two and I shall be
well.  A scar will remain, but what is one more scar?=94 His eyes
narrowed. =93You have a wound in your eyes, Sir Petriz.  Does knowing what
you know set you ill at ease?=94
        =93A little.  We did find the evil and expose it, but how could it
have ever gone so far?  How did it corrupt so many of the Ecclesia?=94
        =93We are men,=94 Czestadt replied. =93Do you need to know more?=94
        =93But we have been given special charges,=94 Petriz pointed out.
His eyes stole to Kashin.  The one-armed man still dressed in black, and
he watched the dock workers load cargo on the vessel.  Kashin knew the
Southern tongue better even than Akaleth, but he did not seem interested
in the conversation.  Petriz continued, =93Special charge to uphold Eli=92s
will.  When we ask the best and most of men, and when we do so with the
aid of Yahshua and the Most Holy Ghost, do we not receive it?=94
        =93From those we know to be Saints,=94 Akaleth replied, =93we have.
>From many others we do as well; those saints known only to Eli.  But we
are all sinners, as the Canticles remind us.  Not a one of us can escape
sin.  Not even the Patriarch, and certainly not men like you or I.=94
Akaleth frowned, his eyes seeing Petriz, but they looked elsewhere =96
inward. =93We are at our most dangerous when we think those special
charges grant us impeccability.  That is as much contumacy as is
heresy.=94
 =

 =

>>>What is the old saying? Absolute power corrupts =96 absolutely
 =

 =

        Petriz sighed and nodded.  He had seen as much amongst the
Driheli.  How many of his fellow knights rose to the standards of honour
and chivalry he applied to himself?  Did any?  Did he?  But there had
always been that certainty that something pure existed that was worth
every sacrifice.  Now even that surety was no more.
        Unable to hold it inside any longer, he asked, =93But in what can
we trust if the Bishops and even the Patriarch are subject to evil the
same as the rest of us?  Where lies the purity of the Ecclesia?=94
        =93Where it always has,=94 Father Akaleth replied. =93And where it
always will; with Yahshua.  It is He who gives the Ecclesia her
authority, her holiness, and it is He who preserves her, despite the
succession of inadequate men who have led her.=94
        =93And despite her inadequate servants?=94
 =

 =

>>>Nobody is perfect
 =

        Sir Czestadt turned on him, one hand gripping a pylon to steady
his weak legs. =93What cause have you to call yourself inadequate?  You
sacrificed your life for your men, aided your captors when the elements
threatened their lives, and even saw the truth and helped me to see it!
I have never met a knight possessing such devotion as you. Not a knight
of the Driheli would dare utter a word against you.  Are you a sinner?
Aye, but so are we all.  You prayed to be a knight to defend Eli=92s
Ecclesia.  You have received the fulfilment of your prayer, and you dare
to question Eli=92s wisdom?=94
        =93Do not be quite so angry,=94 Kashin said.  Petriz felt the swell
of indignation at his master=92s tirade fade with those words. =93Sir Petriz
is merely learning a lesson you learned a long time ago when you left
the Kankoran to become a Driheli.=94
        Czestadt glared at the one-armed man and asked, =93What lesson is
that?=94
        =93The difference between innocence and virtue.  Until now, Sir
Petriz remained ignorant of the evils that Bishops are capable of when
they turn away from Yahshua.  Now he has seen it, and he has struggled
against it.  Virtue is lonelier work, but it is the greater.  Do not
weep for lost innocence when virtue is at hand.  For a knight of the
Driheli, can there be anything greater than virtue?=94
 =

 =

>>>Another point =96 the truth hurts!
 =

        Petriz shook his head. =93No, it is our highest calling as Driheli
and as Followers.  I have been mourning when I should have been girding
myself for greater challenges, haven=92t I?=94
        =93In a sense,=94 Kashin agreed. =93We never know what will bring us
good. I certainly didn=92t think the Magyars would have brought me any
good, as I know neither did you.=94
        Czestadt grunted and slapped his free hand on his thigh. =93Enough
of this!  Sir Petriz, Knight Commander of Vasks, I remind you that you
are a man with authority.  Others will see you.  Should you lose your
faith, they will not follow you.=94
        =93I haven=92t lost my faith,=94 Sir Petriz replied, standing as ta=
ll
as he was able.  He set his jaw firm, eyes hard, and met Czestadt=92s
level glare. =93I haven=92t lost my faith at all.  Each of you,=94 he nodded
to all three of them in turn, =93have given me the means to strengthen
it.=94 He smiled then, a soft sure thing, and he knew what he said was
true. =93The greatest challenge that I can know is to train our squires to
be true knights who give their lives in service to the Ecclesia.  And I
will begin with Karol.=94
        =93Begin?=94 Czestadt snorted, =93You have nearly completed the job
already!  I can think of few squires, even my own Hevsky, who are more
likely to be knights with your virtue.=94 The elder knight frowned and
then shifted his legs back and forth. =93I owe you an apology, Sir Petriz.
I once thought your piety a weakness.  I never said so to your face, but
I thought it in my heart.  I saw my prowess and my charisma, and my
devotion to seeing out the will of the Bishops as sufficient.  I do not
know your kindness.=94
        =93You choose me to be your squire,=94 Petriz replied, feeling anew
the love he had always felt for this man.  It pained him to hear
Czestadt speak ill of himself. =93That is an act of kindness I will never
forget, nor stop thanking you for.=94
        Father Akaleth nodded to them both, and pulled his black cassock
more tightly over his shoulders. =93We have all experienced great
difficulties in the last few months.  We are all better men for it.  But
enough of this now; I think your vessel is ready.=94
        As one they turned to the vessel and noted that the hold was
sealed again, and men scampered along the rigging while others fitted
the oars into their locks.  The merchant who had been greedily fussing
over his wares as they were loaded no longer stood on deck.  The captain
barked orders, and cast glances at the knights every few seconds.
Czestadt waved to him, and he waved back, gesturing at the oars and the
sea.
        =93We should delay no longer.=94 Czestadt walked stiffly to the
gangplank and then turned back to Akaleth and Kashin. =93If we never see
each other again, it has been a great honour to know you both.  Eli=92s
blessing be with you.=94
        =93And also with you,=94 Father Akaleth replied. =93I shall say
prayers for the Driheli every day of my life.=94
        =93I shall miss you both,=94 Kashin said.  He offered his hand, and
in turn, both Czestadt and Petriz clasped it. =93You are true knights.
Go, ride the seas safely, and may Eli bring you home.=94
        Sir Petriz followed Czestadt up the plank, turning at the ships
rim to wave one last time. =93Thank you, for everything.  Yahshua bless
you both!=94
        And then, when their feet hit the deck, sailors rushed in behind
them and pulled the plank on board.  Czestadt and Petriz stood by the
railing, even as the ship began to slide southwards with the current.
Father Akaleth and Kashin stood waiting, dwindling, until they
disappeared around a bend in the river.  The two knights looked at each
other, smiled as only their eyes could, and retired below decks.  Their
labours were finally over.

----------

        =93I=92m glad I=92m flesh.  I=92m glad I=92m flesh.  I=92m glad I=
=92m flesh.=94
Charles muttered this mantra to himself as they carriage bumped and
jostled along the wharf-front.
        =93What=92s that, Charles?=94 James asked.  The donkey sat next to =
him
in the carriage, long ears nearly brushing the lacquered interior roof.
        Charles turned away from the evening sky and back to his friend.
=93Oh, nothing.  Just happy to be flesh again.  Honestly, I had begun to
forget what it was like.=94
        James smiled and shifted about on the carriage seat,
repositioning his tail.  The one drawback of the Duke=92s hospitality was
that so few of his chairs bore accommodations for tails. =

 =

 =

>>>And how many people DO have chairs with tail holes?
 =

 =

 =

 Charles sat on the end of the seat that his might not be so painfully
cramped.  Jessica did not even bother trying to sit down; as soon as she
climbed into the carriage she=92d shrunk down to the size of a normal hawk
and perched on Lindsey=92s leg.  Habakkuk sat between the opposing benches
and leaned back against his long tail.  Only Kayla managed to lean back,
her long and voluminous tail an extra cushion for her head.
 =

 =

>>>Reminds me of the time we crammed 4 people into my old Volkswagen
bug!
 =

        The others of their company followed in the next carriage, and
before them Duke Schanalein, his son, and the Bishop rode together out
to the wharves.  Captain Tilly rode with them, a fact that Kayla had
groused about at length.  She had hoped the sea captain would have
ridden with them, that they might have had a chance to allay his
concerns about their presence on his ship.
        Habakkuk had assured her several times that there would be more
than enough time for that once they were on board, but he only managed
to reduce her complaints to muttered grumbling.
        Now they sat in relative silence as the carriages rode alongside
the wharves.  Charles stared through the small carriage window and
admired the long row of merchant vessels docked, and the men scurrying
like ants to load and unload cargo.  Flags from several different
kingdoms topped the masts, many of them from the Southlands.  None from
Sondeshara he noted with some disappointment, but it probably was for
the best.  Had any Sondeckis seen the spectacle of their entrance as
prisoners of the Bishop, they might have recognized Jerome.  Though the
man who had corrupted the Sondeckis may be dead, he still had no desire
to return to Yesulam and answer for his disobedience.
        Although, this would be the first time in nearly ten years that
he had come so close to his once beloved home.  He sighed, wishing that
things could have been different.  Had he never left, Zagrosek might not
have been corrupted by Marzac, and his friend Ladero Alanez might not
have been killed.  But then he would never have met his friends, nor his
wife, Lady Kimberly.  And he would not now be a father of five.  How
could he give any of them up just to change the past?
        He shuddered, feeling the absence of Kimberly and his children,
something he had not truly felt in all those months of stone.  He shut
his eyes tight, pressed his fists into his cheeks, and sought his Calm.
He brought to mind the desert sands, and the crisp blue sky, stilling
all the anger and rage he felt.  A hand lay at his back, but he ignored
it as he focussed his being on the Calm.
        And then, all his heartache left, leaving him only with a
soothing sense of peace.  He remained there for several seconds before
opening his eyes.  James, whose hand pressed into his back asked, =93Are
you all right?=94
        =93Aye, I=92m fine now.  As I said, I=92m still not used to being
flesh.=94
        =93You aren=92t thinking like stone are you?=94 Habakkuk asked, wor=
ry
in his voice.
        =93Not much,=94 he admitted.  After all these years, he couldn=92t =
lie
to the kangaroo anymore. =93I=92ve had a few moments when I=92ve wished to
feel that way again, but that=92s all.  Stone really is different.  Even
after we left the mountains, I still began to think more and more like
granite.  If not for each of you, I might have stopped caring about
fleshy things altogether.=94
        =93I never really knew that stone thought at all,=94 Kayla admitted.
=93What are you trying to get used to again?=94
        =93Having feelings,=94 the rat said, shifting some in his seat.  His
long tail curled around one ankle, and he began to pet it, trembling
slightly at the scaly flesh and stubbly hairs. =93I=92ve missed my family,
but until now, it was just something I thought about.  I didn=92t really
feel it.  I didn=92t miss them the way you miss Rickkter.  More like how
you would miss playing a good game.=94
        Kayla blanched. =93That sounds awful!=94
        =93At the time, I didn=92t know how awful it was.  Even now, I have
to assure myself that the things I enjoyed as stone are not worth the
things I will lose.=94 He sighed and spread his paws. =93If you see me
looking forlornly at any bit of rock, please distract me with something
truly important.  I don=92t want to feel that temptation, not now.=94
 =

 =

>>>Being stone really effected him!
 =

 =

        The carriage began to slow, and then it rocked back and forth on
the cobblestones.  James winced as his tail pinched beneath him, while
Habakkuk had to grab at the wall to keep from falling over.  Lindsey
grunted and offered Jessica his arm; she hopped onto it. =93Well, we=92re
here,=94 the northerner said as he climbed to his feet, being careful not
to smack Jessica=92s head into the carriage ceiling.
        This section of the wharf had been cordoned off by the Duke=92s
soldiers.  Only a single ship, triple masted with square sails, docked
at the long pier.  Salt choked the air, as well as the reek of human
sewage.  Charles and the other Keepers put their paws to their noses as
they stepped out of the carriage.  Sailors turned to stare at them, most
of them making the sign of the yew over their chests.
        Their other companions exited the carriage behind theirs, except
for Guernef who had flown and now began circling to make his landing.  A
quartet of soldiers immediately flanked Duke Schanalein as he and his
son stepped from their carriage.  Bishop Hockmann followed behind; the
spectacled priest also rubbed his nose to hide the malodorous odour.
        Captain Tilly walked beside the Duke, gesturing to the large
ship and saying something they couldn=92t hear.  But their eyes were
struck from the ship by the sound of a dozen horses neighing in relief.
Along one side of the docks, several ostlers struggled to mollify the
golden-furred Rheh.
        =93The Rheh!=94 James shouted with delight.  The donkey ran towards
them, and so too did the other Keepers.  The ostlers saw them coming and
as one broke and ran down the pier.  One of them dived into the water to
get out of their way.
 =

 =

>>>Why does that image make me laugh?
 =

 =

  The magnificent equines pranced, hooves clattering on the stone pier,
and then rushed up to greet their riders.
        And with graceful ease, the Rheh found each of their riders,
nuzzling and hugging them with their neck.  The Keepers laughed, and
even Andares broke into a mirthful grin as he touched the steed that had
chosen to bear him.  Behind them Guernef landed, startling the Duke and
Captain Tilly.
        =93You bring chaos to my ship as she has never seen!=94 Tilly
declared as he crossed himself. =93None of my men can bring your horses
below decks to their berths.  I assume that you will be able to do what
they could not?=94
        =93The Rheh will only go where they wish to go,=94 Andares replied.
=93That they have consented to go with us any further itself is a gift
granted.  And without price.  They will follow us into your vessel=92s
hold, but your men should not attempt to treat them as horses.  They are
passengers with equal standing to the rest of us.=94
        Captain Tilly scratched his short beard, bemused. =93Are they not
just horses?=94 One of the Rheh stomped his hoof and snorted derisively at
the sea captain.  Tilly blinked and nodded his head. =93Forgive me then.
I am but a simple sailor, and do not know out these things.=94
        Andares and Qan-af-=E5rael began walking up the wide loading ramp,
the Rheh following after them. =93We shall guide them where they must go.
If one of your men would show us,=94 the younger =C5elf suggested.  One of
the ostlers hurried up the ramp first, eyes wide in astonishment.
        Guernef squeezed past them, squawking at the captain who quickly
danced out of the Nauh-kaee=92s way.  He then followed the Rheh up the
ramp and onto the ship.  The Keepers waited, sensing that Duke wished to
speak still.  Kurt managed to stand still like the soldier he=92d become,
but his eyes betrayed his eager impatience.  Bishop Hockmann looked both
wearied and fascinated, though whatever gratefulness he felt he kept
hidden.
        =93Once again,=94 Duke Schanalein said as he came to the edge of the
pier, =93I and all of Breckaris thanks you for saving us from du
Tournemire.  I wish you Eli=92s protection on your journey ahead.  If
there is anything more I can do before you depart, please ask it.=94
        Charles stood as tall as he could, and still did not equal
Kurt=92s height. =93If you will be sending Tugal to Metamor, in the company
of the Holy Sisters or not, I also ask that you send a message to our
Duke, and to our families, that we are safe and have hopes of returning
to them in the new year.=94
        Schanalein gave him a quick nod. =93You have my word that it will
be done.=94
        =93Father,=94 Kurt interrupted, =93perhaps there is something more =
we
can still do.=94
        =93What is that?=94
        =93You said that their liege is to be married upon the Winter=92s
Solstice.=94
        Schanalein smiled, both to his son and to the Keepers. =93Very
true.  In gratitude for thy efforts, I will send an official delegation
to Metamor to attend Duke Hassan=92s wedding, and also to open up
diplomatic channels with your kingdom.=94
 =

 =

>>>Cool!
 =

 =

        =93That is wonderful news,=94 Kayla said. =93Thank you, your grace.=
know Duke Thomas will gladly receive your men and afford them every
courtesy.=94
        Kurt fidgeted and then added, =93Father, I seek the honour of
leading this delegation to Metamor.=94
        Charles and the other Keepers smiled.  The rat nodded and said,
=93Who better to lead it than he who led us to you.  Thank you, Kurt!
Your people will delight in you when your day comes.=94
        Duke Schanalein appeared a little less pleased than the Keepers.
=93I have my son back, and you would risk such a dangerous journey?=94
        Kurt gestured to the Keepers. =93For them?  Aye, Father, I would.=
=94
        =93Then so be it.=94 Schanalein smiled again, and patted his son on
the shoulder. =93You shall lead the delegation to Metamor, and provide
protection for Tugal and the Holy Sisters.  Your grace, is there any
impediment to their intention of establishing a convent in Metamor
Valley?=94
        Surprised at being addressed, Bishop Hockmann fumbled with his
spectacles before nodding and stuttering, =93There is... is but one
matter, your grace.  I have no authority to establish any such convent.
They will need the permission of Bishop Ammodus who overseas that
diocese.  I will write them a letter of intent and have it delivered to
Kelewair.=94
        =93Then it is settled,=94 Duke Schanalein turned back to the
Keepers. =93When you return to your home, I hope you will find Tugal
there, and the Holy Sisters.=94
        =93I do as well,=94 Kayla replied, and her words were soon echoed by
the other Keepers.
        =93I hope our paths cross again,=94 Kurt said, smiling and extending
his hand. =93Thank you all for everything you=92ve done.=94
        One by one they shook hands with Kurt, before starting up the
ramp to the ship.  Duke Schanalein waved them on board, and Bishop
Hockmann prayed a blessing over their voyage.  On board the sailors
worked hard to ready the ship, one of whom busied himself hanging lamps
from the fore and aft decks to keep the light even into the approaching
night.  Captain Tilly shouted orders from the helm, while one of the
sailors nervously gestured the Keepers to the hold.
        Beneath they found the two =C5elf and Guernef securing the Rheh in
a series of paddocks.  Foodstuffs and other supplies were stacked in
boxes towards the bow and stern.  The hold ended in a blank wall at the
fo=92c=92sle, and also at the aft castle.  No one else lay down in the hold.
After they had all climbed down the stairs at the aft castle end, the
sailor shut the door behind them.  Lamps hung from the ceiling providing
some light, while portholes lined the top of the hold, but through them
they could see nothing.
        =93Well,=94 Lindsey said as he glanced around, =93here we go again.
Looks like we=92re sleeping on the floor again.=94
        =93At least now we can use straw,=94 James pointed out.
        =93You=92re a donkey, you like sleeping on straw!=94
        =93I=92d rather have a bed,=94 James admitted, long ears folding ba=
ck,
=93but straw is better than many things we=92ve slept on in the last few
months.=94
        =93Isn=92t that the truth!=94 Lindsey said with a sullen laugh.
        Jessica flew down from the northerner=92s arm and returned to her
normal height at the bottom of the hold.  She stretched out her wing
claws and glanced back and forth between them. =93We shouldn=92t be too
critical of his grace.  We do have a lot more than what we thought we=92d
have.  We should find ways to help Captain Tilly and his crew on this
voyage.  I can watch from the crow=92s nest; my eyes ae better =

 =

 =

>>>Typo =96 are not ae
 =

 =

 =

 =

 =

 =

than any man=92s could be.=94
        =93You might be the only one,=94 Charles pointed out. =93I suppose I
could find where the rats live on the ship.  I have some experience with
that.=94
        =93Before you do that,=94 Abafouq said, =93We need to learn one thi=
ng.
Jessica, you must teach us this spell that will protect us against
Marzac.=94
        The floor lurched beneath them; only James fell to the floor,
catching himself with his hands, hoof-like nails thudding into the wood.
Jerome helped him back to his hooves and said, =93We=92ve cast off.  The
next time we step on land, it will be on the Marquis=92s land.=94
         Qan-af-=E5rael nodded and invited the others to sit with him.
=93Then let us discuss what we shall do these next few weeks both on board
and on land.  Jessica, please start by telling us this spell.=94
        As they all gathered together, Jessica began to speak words that
made no sense to Charles and most of the Keepers, but to the =C5elf, the
Binoq, the Nauh-Kaee, and to Kayla, all seemed a revelation.
Qan-af-=E5rael smiled as he listened.  Beneath them the ship began to rock
gently back and forth.

----------

        The door to Nylene=92s chambers opened and the grating voice of
the acolyte Thelina carried through, =93It is my duty to assist you in
preparing you for your pilgrimage, Priestess.  As an acolyte, it is my
place to tend to the needs of those inducted into the full sanctity of
the Lothanasi priesthood.=94
        Nylene=92s gentle step crossed over to the middle of her room.
Elvmere, still a normal raccoon, stirred from the bundle of clothes in
the prayer cell.  After returning from his investigations, he=92d found
Nylene=92s chambers empty, and so had made a small bed for himself out of
his clothes.  If any interlopers should find him, they would see only an
animal, and hopefully, would bring no more suspicion on Nylene
hin=92Lofwine.
        The acolyte followed Nylene into the room and shut the door
behind her.  Nylene replied in a pleasant voice, =93I am grateful for your
concern for our respective stations, Thelina, but I would much rather
pack for this journey myself.  The Lothanas has asked you to accompany
me, and so you have your own things to tend to ere we depart on the
morrow.  Have you contacted Master Elsevier as I asked?=94
        =93I have, Priestess.  Master Elsevier says he will be delighted
to dine with you this evening and discuss our voyage.  Metamor is a very
long way, even by boat.  We will be gone for months.  There is much you
will need, and you will need another to oversee their proper
comportment.=94
        Elvmere crawled to the door frame and pressed his head against
the base.  He shifted about, trying to see beneath the jamb, but with
his beastly proportions, he couldn=92t quite manoeuver himself into
position.  His claws, scrambling at the door, began to scratch it far
louder than he=92d expected.
        =93What was that?=94 Thelina asked.  Elvmere jumped back into his
pile of clothes and buried himself there, poking his snout and staring
at the line of warm light coming under the jamb.  He heard the acolyte=92s
footsteps coming further into Nylene=92s chambers, but the shaft of light
remained.
        =93I merely asked when Master Elsevier would arrive.  It is nearly
dusk now, and I do hope to partake of my evening meal before the nightly
blessings are sung.=94
        =93I heard you, Priestess,=94 Thelina replied. =93But I thought I
heard something else.  It sounded like a rat in the woodwork.  Filthy
vermin!=94
        Elvmere felt indignant at being called a rat, and huddled deeper
in his clothes.  But then he realized that if Thelina opened the cell
door, he would be seen.  His best option would be to leap and run out
the balcony, so he tensed his leg muscles, and waited.
        But Nylene=92s voice was as smooth as crystal. =93Then ask one of
the other acolytes to come through these chambers after we=92ve left and
lay traps.  We have far much to do, as you say, Thelina, to worry over
an adventurous rodent.=94
        Elvmere didn=92t move a muscle as listened to Thelina turn about a
few more seconds.  Finally, she said, =93Very well, Priestess, I shall
have Helene set traps in your chambers after we leave tomorrow.  It is
fruitless to argue.  Two hands work faster than one.  Together let us
arrange your things.=94
        Elvmere twitched his tail and had to bite back the churr of
irritation.  They certainly couldn=92t let this woman come with them; he=92d
have to stay a beast the entire voyage.  Even spending his day in this
form had heightened his animal instincts, a fact that bothered him.
Would he act like an animal at an inappropriate moment and reveal
himself to Thelina or the ship=92s crew?  That would prove disastrous for
himself and for Nylene, and he would not risk her any more than he
already had.
        But Nylene seemed always to know what to say. =93Of course, you
are most thoughtful to suggest it.  I will want to celebrate all of the
standard rites on the pilgrimage, so the proper prayer books and
instruments must be collected and prepared.  Also, I believe it would be
fitting, in any pilgrimage to our most holy site, to wear the most
traditional and ancient of attire.  I fear I have none of these things
in my chambers.  If you would prepare those items for me, as you know
better than I where they lay, it would greatly ease the burden of
preparation.=94
        He could hear Thelina shuffling her feet as she tied to find a
reason to stay in the room. =93That is... is wise, Priestess.=94
 =

 =

>>>She just gave him several hours of work to do!
 =

 =

        =93And I know you must prepare for the pilgrimage as well.  Surely
there are thing you wish to bring.=94
        =93I am but a humble acolyte and have nothing of my own.  It will
not take long for me to prepare.=94
        Elvmere=92s ear twitched at the sound of booted heels coming up
the hall to Nylene=92s chamber.  But the two women continued their verbal
sparing for another minute before they were interrupted by a knock on
the door.  The raccoon curled his tail around his paws and relaxed.
Maybe this would drive that insufferable acolyte away.
        =93Ah, Master Elsevier,=94 Nylene said with genuine politeness.
Elvmere could hear the gentleness in her voice, and it delighted him.
=93Please come in.  Thelina will return shortly with some food for us to
share.  Thelina?  Bring more fish if you would.=94  Elvmere buried his
muzzle in the clothes to hide his delighted churr.
        =93As you wish, Priestess.=94 Thelina=92s footsteps echoed down the
hall, and the door shut firmly behind her.  Elvmere drew his nose form
 =

 =

 =

>>>typo =96 from not form
 =

 =

 =

 the clothes and immediately smelled the odour of a man who worked with
vellum; it was a musty scent, like rifling through old books.
        =93Ah, Priestess Nylene, it is a pleasure to see you again.=94 The
man had an urbane voice, rich with the now familiar accent of Silvassa,
poetic much like their city. =93Your letter arrived at a fortunate time.
I am planning to set sail soon, but if your needs demand, we can leave
early.  I am ever in your debt.=94
        Nylene replied in a rather soft voice. =93What we have to say can
wait until dinner arrives.  Here, sit and make yourself comfortable.
Oh, and I do hope you brought some of your new inks with you, and some
vellum that we might try them out on.=94
        =93For you, of course, I would be happy to provide a sample of our
wares.=94 Elsevier set something down on the small dining table.  It
clinked like glass.  Following it Elvmere knew to be a sheaf of loose
vellum.
        =93Perhaps you can do one thing more before you grow too
comfortable?=94 Nylene asked. =93I am feeling somewhat cold this evening.
The hearth is clean, and wood awaits its consumption.  If you would,
build a fire that I might have warmth.=94
        Elsevier chuckled and said, =93I will gladly do so for you,
Priestess.=94 The chair scuffed on the carpeting as the man rose.  Elvmere
relaxed in his pile of clothes and let his eyelids begin to droop as he
listened to the man striking tinder and coaxing the fire to life.  They
shared a few more words, all of it respectful, but none of it saying
anything revealing.  Only that Elsevier was readying his grandest ship
for her pilgrimage to Metamor.
        So Nylene had told the Lothanas she wished to make a religious
pilgrimage to Metamor.  Apparently her request had been granted.  But
how was she going to bring Elvmere along?
        By the time Thelina returned with their dinner, Elsevier had
brought the fire to life.  It crackled and hissed as he added bits of
wood.  Thankfully, the bothersome acolyte did not stay long this time.
After she had left, and Elvmere knew she=92d left because he could hear
her footsteps recede, Nylene and Elsevier continued their almost vacuous
conversation as they ate.  But the whole while, he could hear them
writing.  Elvmere squirmed and clawed at the cell floor, angry that he
could not read their words.
        After what seemed an interminable time, Nylene rose from her
chair and said, =93Forgive me, Master Elsevier, but your discourse on the
waterways of the Silvassa have reminded me of a history that I wished to
share with you.  I will bring it presently.=94
        Unable to help himself, Elvmere huddled deeper in his clothes as
the footsteps approached.  He wanted to stand up to meet her, but the
stronger part of him kept urging him to hide.  Her feet blocked the
light before the door, and then she gingerly lifted the latch and drew
the door open.  Elvmere covered his eyes with his paws and blinked until
they adjusted to the light.  Nylene stared down at him, her mouth agape.
In one hand she held a piece of paper.  A bemused smile crossed her
lips, and she lowered it for Elvmere to read.

        =93Please reveal yourself to my friend.=94

         Staring past Nylene=92s legs, he saw a balding man with ruddy
jowls and a decided paunch leaning forward against the table, staring
wide-eyed at the raccoon.  He said with a sardonic twist to his lips, =93I
don=92t quite see what could be new or surprising in any such tome, at
least not tone who has seen such things before.=94
        Nylene favoured Elvmere with a questioning glance, and he knew
she was wondering if he=92d switch back to his man-like form.  He wanted
to whisper, =93Not in front of him!=94 but of course, his vocal chords
didn=92t work properly as an animal, so he said nothing and shook his head
and pointed at Elsevier.
        =93Perhaps it merely needs to grow.  Like any bit of knowledge, it
takes time to digest.=94 She stepped back and half-closed the door.
Elvmere took advantage of his privacy to do as Nylene hinted and grew
back into his morphic shape.  He pulled on his clothes, smoothed out the
rumples, and then stepped out, wary that his claws did not scratch the
floor.
        Elsevier=92s eyes grew wider, and his hands began to tremble. =93Oh
my...=94 he stuttered. =93That volume!  I have heard of it, only never seen
it before.=94
 =

 =

 =

>>>Surprise!!!
 =

 =

 =

 =

 He hastily scribbled a note and held it up that Elvmere might see.

         =93Metamor?=94

        He nodded and gestured to the pad of vellum and the other quill.
He could see several notes that the two had already written to each
other.  Elsevier handed him the quill, then took those notes and tossed
them on the fire.  The paper blackened and curled into ash.
        Elvmere wrote:

        =93Are spies listening?=94

        Nylene came behind him, one hand resting on his shoulder, and
she nodded. =93As you can see, there is cleverness in this tome.  I think
you=92ll find it a bosom companion for those many nights upon the sea.
But tell me of the arrangements for our trip.  I hope to grant you this
book as a gift in repayment for your kindness to an old priestess
seeking one last bit of excitement in her life.=94
        =93I hope the journey will not be exciting.  Squalls can sweep
down on a ship unsuspecting in those waters at this time of year.  I
would rather we did not face such adversity.  Ah, Wvelkim grant us a
steady wind and a friendly sea!=94  As he spoke, he scribbled on the next
sheet.

        =93I have two ships, my chief vessel Indigo, and a simple
transport named Calf.  You will board the Indigo with her.=94

        =93And Elvmere?=94

         Elsevier pointed to the raccoon-man and over at the monastic
cell which hung open. =93Now that is a fine book, good Nylene!  Something
of so small a size, that I can easily take with me tonight, and I would
be glad to do so.=94 He gestured to an expensive knapsack that leaned
against his chair.  Elvmere would be able to fit inside should he be an
animal, but not much else would.  He=92d already been lugged around in a
barrel by the Sondeckis, and now this paper and ink merchant wanted to
tote him on his back like a parcel of bread?
        Elvmere took the quill and furiously wrote.

        =93I will not be separated from the journals.  And what of my
clothes?=94

        The merchant looked between the raccoon and Nylene, a
questioning look on his face. =93Perchance you might have more volumes
than this on the subject?=94
        Elvmere carefully walked back to the cell and lifted out the
satchel with Akabaieth=92s journals.  The merchant frowned, revealing a
second chin. =93Several more volumes!  Ah, I do not think I can fit all of
them, but I do happen to have an older ragged knapsack that I keep for
such dreadful emergencies.=94
        Nylene smiled and replied, =93How very fortunate, Master Elsevier.
It is no wonder that you have prospered so; your foresight serves you
well.=94
        Elvmere set the knapsack at Elsevier=92s feet, and then snatched a
bit of fish from the platter on the table.  Like their morning meal, it
had only been lightly seasoned, but to his tongue, it still tasted like
manna.  Elvmere then picked up the quill and wrote:

        =93Will Thelina come with us?=94

         Elsevier shook his head, the frown deepening.

         =93Thelina will see to extra baggage for Nylene.  While away,
Nylene will slip aboard Calf.  Ships will sail in opposite directions.=94

         =93Well,=94 Elsevier added, leaning back in his chair and smiling
heartily to them both. =93Let me tell you about the Indigo, the mighty
vessel we shall sail upon tomorrow.  You have given me much to ponder
with your books.  I will give you much to anticipate.=94 And even as he
spoke, he managed to write.  How he could handle two separate lines of
thought at the same time, Elvmere could not imagine.

        =93Make sure you have what you need in one bag.  I do not want to
risk moving more than that.  The switch must be quick.=94
 =

 =

>>>A smart traveler never has more baggage then they can carry
themselves and still have 1 hand free.

        Nylene nodded and said, =93I assure you, Master Elsevier, I will
prepare for this illuminating venture with the proper level of
austerity.  But there is much that must come along, as a priestess of
the Lothanasi, and of Silvassa.  Thelina, a most helpful acolyte, is
attending to those garments and tools.=94
        Elsevier smiled, and tossed the used bits of vellum in the fire.
He ate some of the fish, and then gestured at the plate to the
raccoon-man.  Elvmere would have to ask him why he acted so calmly
around a Keeper.  Had he been to Metamor before?
        But Elvmere gladly accepted the plate, scooping the rest of the
fish in his paws, noting the soft pinpricks of a few bones the cooks had
missed against his fingers.  His claws removed them with exquisite
precision and then he devoured them as politely as he could.  Elsevier
watched him out of the corner of one eye.
        Nylene laid her hand on his back and pet through his neck fur
with one finger. =93I am growing weary, Master Elsevier.  I look forward
to hearing more about your magnificent ship, but you must excuse me for
the night.=94
        =93Of course.  We have only to pack those books we discussed and I
will be on my way.=94
        Elsevier gestured to the expensive cloth knapsack and pointed at
Elvmere.  He held both his hands out, and then brought them closer
together.  The raccoon man nodded and headed back to the cell.  Nylene
followed him, covering the sound of his footsteps.  When he stepped
inside, she whispered to him, =93Are you comfortable doing this?=94
        He nodded. =93It is no worse than what I have had to do already.
I just don=92t want him to see me unclad.=94  He smiled to her, and she
stifled a laugh.  He stepped back out of the merchant=92s sight and willed
himself to return to his beastly form.  Nylene watched with awe-struck
eyes as he shrunk down into his clothing, head flattening, thumbs
changing into a fifth finger, and his height dwindling away.
        When he finished, he crawled out of the pile of clothes and
waved at her.  His paws reached no higher than her knees.  He gestured
at the remnants of his clothes, and she bent and retrieved them.
Outside the cell he saw that Elsevier had opened his knapsack and had
replaced the jars of ink and the remaining sheets of vellum in one side.
He held open the other; this pocket was large enough to hold Elvmere and
a few books, or Elvmere and his clothes.
        Nylene quickly folded his garments and handed them to Elsevier.
The merchant stuffed them into the bottom of the knapsack, and then held
the flap open for the raccoon.  Elvmere climbed inside, curling up in
the bottom on top of his clothes.  And then another bit of cloth was
dumped on his head.  He squirmed and poked his head above the fabric and
saw white.  The robe of a Lothanasi acolyte.  Elvmere ran one paw across
the coarse wool and twitched his whiskers.
        Glancing up, he saw Nylene smile to him and nod.  He nodded in
return, and then slipped back underneath the robe.  He just hoped none
of the temple guards thought to inspect Elsevier=92s bags.
        The merchant closed the knapsack and Elvmere felt his world
rocking back and forth.  He braced himself in the bag until it settled.
He felt something solid on one side; probably Elsevier=92s back. =93Thank
you for your hospitality, Priestess Nylene hin=92Lofwine, and for the
opportunity to pay a meagre portion of the enormous debt I owe you.=94
        =93You have paid back more than you know.  Good evening to you,
Master Elsevier.=94
        Elvmere managed to calm his instincts enough to curl against one
side of the knapsack.  He poked his nose up over the acolyte=92s robe for
fresher air, but otherwise stayed hidden.  He listened to the sound of
Elsevier=92s boots echoing along the tiled halls of the temple, and the
soft voices of acolytes tending their duties.  He could smell the rich
incense, and the gentle scent of a people who regularly cleaned
themselves.
        The merchant stopped when accosted by the guards, and Elvmere
ducked back down beneath the robe, curling as tight as possible.  They
exchanged a few words, and then the guards let him leave.  Elvmere
waited until he heard the merchant speak again. =93We=92re safe now.  She
wrote that your name is Elvmere.=94
        He poked his head above the robe, but with the knapsack closed,
there was nothing to see.  Elvmere chittered as loud as he could, hoping
the merchant heard him.
        =93You=92re probably wondering why your appearance did not startle
me.  I have been to Metamor since the time of the curses, though only
once.  But I had never expected to see a Keeper here in Silvassa!  I
will...=94 he paused and Elvmere heard the sounds of other footsteps
nearby.  After they receded, Elsevier continued, =93I ask that you stay
hidden until we are a day downstream.=94
        He said nothing more for several long minutes.  Elvmere found
his confinement strangely comfortable and began to doze lightly.  When
the steady rhythm of the merchant=92s footfalls stopped, he perked his
ears and blinked open his eyes to the darkness.  Elsevier no longer
walked on stone, but climbed up a wooden plank.  And then the wood
echoed differently, and a few words were exchanged between Elsevier and
another man.  Elvmere could not make out the words.
        And then they were walking again.  But only a short distance
this time.  Within a few seconds, he heard a door close and latch, and
then Elsevier set the knapsack down and opened it up. =93You=92ll be safe in
here for the night.  This will be your quarters with Priestess Nylene.
Do you sleep in a bed or in a nest?=94
        Elvmere crawled on all fours out of the knapsack and surveyed
the room.  He stood upon a solitary bed of reasonable quality for a
sailing vessel.  Beside the bed, the night stand bore an oil lantern and
a small reflecting glass.  A clothes chest sat beneath the single
porthole looking out onto the night sky of Silvassa.  Apart from these
few things, the room was empty.
        Elvmere stood on his hind legs and made a turning motion with
one paw.  The merchant nodded and turned around.  After changing into
his man-shape, he slipped into the acolyte=92s robe.  Though a little
tight around the waist, it provided ample room to hide his tail, and the
sleeves came right to his wrists just as he liked them.  The collar was
a simple V, exposing some of his chest fur, but nothing indiscreet.
        =93I prefer a bed, but if none is available, I will make a nest of
my clothes.  These are far better accommodations than I had on my last
voyage, Master Elsevier.=94
        The merchant turned around, and appraised him with a warm eye.
=93So you are joining the Lothanasi order?  Good man.  With Nylene as your
guide, you will bring great things to the Order.=94
        =93Thank you.  Do you think your plan will work?  And aren=92t you
jeopardizing your position as a respected citizen of Silvassa?=94
        Elsevier waved one hand and shook his head. =93Not significantly.
If things grow desperate, I will relocate to Isenport.=94 He took a deep
breath and then extended his hand. =93I have much I still need to prepare.
I must make it appear that all my efforts are going towards Indigo=92s
departure.  I very much wish to talk with you more, Elvmere.=94
        Elvmere clasped his hand, careful not to nick him with his
claws. =93And I you, Master Elsevier.  I do wish to hear of this debt you
owe, Priestess Nylene.=94
        Elsevier smiled and shook his paw firmly. =93You will, young
acolyte.  You will.=94
        Elvmere had to shut his muzzle tight to keep from laughing out
loud.  It had been decades since anyone had called him young!  But now
it was true.  Dressed as a Lothanasi acolyte, bearing the marks of a
raccoon just come into manhood, he appeared even younger than when he=92d
pretended to be Malger=92s apprentice.
        =93And now I bid you good night.  I shall bring you something to
eat in the morning.  That will be all I can offer until we are on our
way.=94
        =93That will be fine.  Thank you, Master Elsevier.  And good
night.  May all the gods bless you and your family.=94
        Elsevier smiled, a soft gentle thing that brought a warm light
to his face even in the gloom of the single oil lantern. =93They have.
They have.=94 He shook Elvmere=92s paw firmly, and then patted him on the
shoulder. =93And may the gods bless you, Elvmere of Metamor.=94
        When the merchant closed the door behind him, leaving the
raccoon-man alone, Elvmere whispered softly, =93I pray that they do.  I
pray that they do.=94

>>> Nice stuff! Everyone is still in motion but things are all moving
towards a conclusion I see.
Everyone seems to be on ships now! =

 =

   Chris