[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LI

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jan 31 19:33:00 EST 2008

>         Down upon the wharves at the base of =

> the ridge, few appreciated the intricacies of Yesulam=92s water works.

Good point!

>         Sir Czestadt grunted and leaned against the wharf.
>

>    >>>He leaned against the whole wharf? Don=92t =

> you mean he leaned against a piling as he stood on the wharf.

Oh yeah, that would make more sense.

>         =93The difference between innocence and =

> virtue.  Until now, Sir Petriz remained =

> ignorant of the evils that Bishops are capable =

> of when they turn away from Yahshua.  Now he =

> has seen it, and he has struggled against =

> it.  Virtue is lonelier work, but it is the =

> greater.  Do not weep for lost innocence when =

> virtue is at hand.  For a knight of the =

> Driheli, can there be anything greater than virtue?=94

I think more people in our own day and age need to learn this distinction.

>         James smiled and shifted about on the =

> carriage seat, repositioning his tail.  The one =

> drawback of the Duke=92s hospitality was that so =

> few of his chairs bore accommodations for tails.

Very true!  I don't even have any at home!  So negligent of me!

>  Charles sat on the end of the seat that his =

> might not be so painfully cramped.  Jessica did =

> not even bother trying to sit down; as soon as =

> she climbed into the carriage she=92d shrunk down =

> to the size of a normal hawk and perched on =

> Lindsey=92s leg.  Habakkuk sat between the =

> opposing benches and leaned back against his =

> long tail.  Only Kayla managed to lean back, =

> her long and voluminous tail an extra cushion for her head.

I remember the time we crammed six people into =

Ryx's little car, including you in the trunk. ;-)

>         Kayla blanched. =93That sounds awful!=94
>         =93At the time, I didn=92t know how awful =

> it was.  Even now, I have to assure myself that =

> the things I enjoyed as stone are not worth the =

> things I will lose.=94 He sighed and spread his =

> paws. =93If you see me looking forlornly at any =

> bit of rock, please distract me with something =

> truly important.  I don=92t want to feel that temptation, not now.=94

Indeed!  How could it not?  Besides, I had fun =

making it change him in subtle ways.

>         =93The Rheh!=94 James shouted with =

> delight.  The donkey ran towards them, and so =

> too did the other Keepers.  The ostlers saw =

> them coming and as one broke and ran down the =

> pier.  One of them dived into the water to get out of their way.

Because it's so true, and you can imagine it so easily. :-)

>         Schanalein smiled, both to his son and =

> to the Keepers. =93Very true.  In gratitude for =

> thy efforts, I will send an official delegation =

> to Metamor to attend Duke Hassan=92s wedding, and =

> also to open up diplomatic channels with your kingdom.=94

Yup, just one more thing I had planned.  Good PR in saving foreign royalty.=
 :-)

>         But Nylene seemed always to know what =

> to say. =93Of course, you are most thoughtful to =

> suggest it.  I will want to celebrate all of =

> the standard rites on the pilgrimage, so the =

> proper prayer books and instruments must be =

> collected and prepared.  Also, I believe it =

> would be fitting, in any pilgrimage to our most =

> holy site, to wear the most traditional and =

> ancient of attire.  I fear I have none of these =

> things in my chambers.  If you would prepare =

> those items for me, as you know better than I =

> where they lay, it would greatly ease the burden of preparation.=94
>         He could hear Thelina shuffling her =

> feet as she tied to find a reason to stay in =

> the room. =93That is... is wise, Priestess.=94

You bet!  And Thelina knows it too.  Checkmate!

>         =93Perhaps it merely needs to grow.  Like =

> any bit of knowledge, it takes time to digest.=94 =

> She stepped back and half-closed the =

> door.  Elvmere took advantage of his privacy to =

> do as Nylene hinted and grew back into his =

> morphic shape.  He pulled on his clothes, =

> smoothed out the rumples, and then stepped out, =

> wary that his claws did not scratch the floor.
>         Elsevier=92s eyes grew wider, and his =

> hands began to tremble. =93Oh my...=94 he =

> stuttered. =93That volume!  I have heard of it, only never seen it before=
.=94

hehehehehe, nobody expects the Metamorians in the closet!

>         =93Well,=94 Elsevier added, leaning back in =

> his chair and smiling heartily to them both. =

> =93Let me tell you about the Indigo, the mighty =

> vessel we shall sail upon tomorrow.  You have =

> given me much to ponder with your books.  I =

> will give you much to anticipate.=94 And even as =

> he spoke, he managed to write.  How he could =

> handle two separate lines of thought at the =

> same time, Elvmere could not imagine.
>
>                 =93Make sure you have what you =

> need in one bag.  I do not want to risk moving =

> more than that.  The switch must be quick.=94

> they can carry themselves and still have 1 hand free.

Yup!  Especially in this day and age.  Elvmere =

doens't even really own more than one set of =

clothes anymore.  All he has are the journals.

>         Elsevier smiled, a soft gentle thing =

> that brought a warm light to his face even in =

> the gloom of the single oil lantern. =93They =

> have.  They have.=94 He shook Elvmere=92s paw =

> firmly, and then patted him on the shoulder. =

> =93And may the gods bless you, Elvmere of Metamor.=94
>         When the merchant closed the door =

> behind him, leaving the raccoon-man alone, =

> Elvmere whispered softly, =93I pray that they do.  I pray that they do.=
=94

> things are all moving towards a conclusion I see.
>Everyone seems to be on ships now!

Well, the title of the Chapter was 'Three Ships to Sail'. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it!