[Mkguild] Cheeters Never Win

coal train coal_train_tsa at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 22:05:55 EDT 2008

  now for another story from the train. i present with the help of our own Michael Nastov. Cheeters Never Win.as always feedback is appreciated and encouraged.

Cheeters Never Win

  By Coal Train

  (c) 2008 Coal Train

  October 707 Cristos Reckoning

              The day was quite nice, and the sweltering heat of summer had faded. The signs of fall were beginning to make themselves known. It wasn't cold but neither was it warm, and the Cheetah had decided to do a little exercising on this fine day.

              He knew he really shouldn’t overexert himself. That morning he had woken with a wheeze in his lungs and with great concern he had found the alchemist, Paskal. She told him that it was just a cold and to take a potion she’d had on hand. “But take it easy when you take this stuff.” She had said. “It has ‘side effects’ with animal morphs under stress.” Heh, He felt like a million Garrets, so he doubted a little exercise would hurt.

              It was well into morning when the spotted cat came upon the training grounds. The crisp air filled his nose. The leaves of the trees, just now beginning to change color with the season, radiating their colorful palette in the clear morning sunlight. He looked about to see who was on the fields this morning.

              The fields were not crowded yet, most people electing to instead share this time with family and friends, at cookouts, and whatnot. The Autumnal equinox had been a few weeks past, so most folks that weren't charged with full time defense of the keep were out working the crops, harvesting the staples that would sustain Metamor through the winter. There were however, a few folks about, most of whom stealth did not know well.

              One face that caught his attention was that of a rabbit. It would strike most people as odd that a rabbit would be practicing the arts of war, much less be a warrior himself. However, stealth knew that, this being Metamor, anything is possible.

              The rabbit was largely brown in color, with spots of off white beginning to show, evidently he was shedding his summer pelt already and the winter coloration was making itself known. He stood only about four feet high, not counting his ears, and weighed probably less than a hundred pounds.  His right ear was adorned with a colorful assortment of rings, while his left ear was torn, but not so badly that it was evident at first glance from a distance. Surprisingly he wore nothing but his fur, though that fur was thick enough that modesty was still satisfied. Indeed with the double fur coat he was currently sporting, he was probably quite warm. Stealth had seen this Rabbit around, but had never had a chance to meet him. Stealth was going to head that way anyway, so, that infamous feline curiosity piqued, he walked in the direction of the Lapin Keeper.

              Cathal had noticed the arrival of the spotted cat, but chose to largely ignore it. That is until it started walking in his direction. The feline, obviously male, stood a little over five and a half feet tall, on plantigrade legs, tawny yellow fur broken in places with dark brown spots. He wore loose fitting cotton trousers cut just below the knees and a simple white sleeveless top.

              “Greetings oh spotted feline.” He says, “Might I be of assistance to you?”

              “Hey,” the cat responds, “I just noticed you look like you were going to do a little running, and was wondering if you would like a running partner.”

              The rabbit thinks it over for a bit, looking the cat up and down. He has a lithe figure, not an ounce of fat on him. No doubt he was quite fast, but was he nimble? “Actually I was planning on doing a few laps through the obstacle course today before I have to report for patrols. You’re welcome to join me if you wish.” His mouth quirked into a lop-sided smile that Stealth had trouble not laughing at. For a warrior this Rabbit was adorably cute.

              “Sure, why not? I have today off, and I have nothing better to do.” So together they headed to the obstacle course, exchanging introductions and pleasantries along the way.

              The obstacle course was a fairly simple affair. It consisted of six events. The start line was also the finish line. First was a mad dash to the bell, once a contestant hits this bell he turns slightly left into a tunnel only about thirty inches wide. Once through the tunnel he then turns right and goes through a maze of tripwires. Stationed every two feet apart in a grid pattern and placed about two feet from the ground, these tripwires are famous for, well tripping people up. After that is yet another challenge, the Rope Bridge. There are three ropes spread between two crossbars. One is supposed to go from one end to the other as quickly as possible without touching the ground. After that one turns right again and must negotiate a set of posts placed in the ground every three feet. You have to zig and zag through these posts; failure to go through any of these posts correctly disqualifies the contestant. Then you hit the bell again and make another mad dash
 to the finish line.

              The mad dashes are fifty feet each and all the obstacles are twenty-five feet each. There are lanes for up to five contestants, but rarely are they all used. The total effect is the shape of a diamond with a string at the bottom. It has been nicknamed the Kite Course. It had been around since before the three gates battle, so had been made for human physique, but is maintained anyway as wholly a third of the keeps residents are still human. And often, an animal morph tries his mettle against it as well.

              A small crowd of spectators had gathered to watch the show as Cathal explained all this to his new spotted companion while taking him on a walk through. He explained the rules such as they were and how the various obstacles are best approached. There had been a few exceptions made for the altered forms of the animal morphs, but Stealth was sized just right that they wouldn’t help him out any. “The general rules are pretty simple.” He says. “No weapons, no full morph and no ‘taur forms. Anthro-forms only. Get through the course as fast as you can without killing or disqualifying yourself and first one across the finish line wins.”

              “I don’t think that looks so hard.” The cheetah says. “I bet I could probably beat you at this.” It was an idle statement, but the cat has no idea what he is getting himself into. Otherwise he wouldn’t be boasting so boldly. He had been training with the scouts, and perhaps thought a little much of himself. After all, He is a cheetah, and cheetahs are built for speed, but he underestimates the rabbit beside him.

              “Ill take that bet.” The rabbit says without the slightest hesitation, “say a drink at the Mule?”

              He thinks about it for a few seconds. “Okay, you’re on. Though I’ll take something non-alcoholic.” The cheetah responds with his own grin, which is far more menacing than the rabbits own.

              So together they take up positions at the starting line. Cathal looks around briefly and reaches down to pick something up. “We start as soon as the bell rings.” He says.

              “Okay, who’s going to ring it?” Stealth was about to say, but he was cut short when Cathal threw a small stone at the bell. He barely had time to get ready before the peel of the bell could be heard and they were both off like bolts.

              Like a bat out of one of the greater hells, Stealth leaves the rabbit in his dust. After hitting the bell he bolts into the tunnel with barely a pause. Cathal comes up a sad twelve seconds behind him, almost seeming to not try. He then goes to all fours, as his default form is close enough to full morph for him to be perfectly comfortable doing this. And bolts through the tunnel without slowing at all.

              At the other end of the tunnel Cathal comes out and is mildly surprised to find the cat about a quarter along the Rope Bridge already. He underestimated the feline. Not bothering with hopping through the tripwires at all, as they are just too high for him, he simply scurries beneath the wires, ears flat against his back and almost flies to the other end of the obstacle. All the while dodging the occasional support post here and there. In only a few seconds he is through, or rather under the wires and climbing to the rope.

              This is where Cathal really shines. Stealth is already nearly two thirds across when Cathal starts to climb to his rope. But he doesn’t stop at the rope, as you would expect. Instead he climbs up onto the crossbar. With practiced ease he drags his hind paws up and digs his claws into the wood. He then thrusts those powerful hind legs out with enough force to shake the whole crossbar. This sends the rabbit flying through the air some thirty feet. He makes a less than perfect landing a little outside of his lane, but is on his feet again and running like the rabbit he is a full second before the cat even gets off the rope.

              *************

              “Heh,” Stealth was thinking to himself, “Looks like I'm gonna beat that rabbit, easy.” He was already two thirds through the third obstacle and the rabbit was only now making his way through the tripwires. The cat was already salivating at the idea of his free drink. It had been a long time since he’d been able to afford a nice tall glass of Grape Juice. It was a rarity in the northern kingdoms that was usually reserved for the nobility, and was just now coming into season. In only another month the season for the juice would pass, and it would be wine or nothing, the timing could have been no more perfect for this little bet.

              Then suddenly the rope he was shimmying along shook violently. With a start, he looked down along the rope to see the rabbit literally flying towards him. Well not towards him but over him. And over the crossbar still some few feet before him. The rabbit landed, and with seemingly unnatural speed was off on the fifth stage.

              It only took a moment for the cat to get over his shock, and with a snarl of rage he pushed himself to the crossbar and, sinking his claws into the wood, he pulled himself bodily off of the bridge. Evidently he had underestimated the rabbit.

              *************

              Cathal was now in his element. Rabbits are built after all for sharp turns, dodging through obstructions and deceptive movements. The posts between himself and the finish line represented little challenge to him. So he made excellent time dodging to and fro, even throwing in a few acrobatics here and there.

              He spared a look back to the cat that was now following him. The poor guy was struggling to zig and zag through the posts. He’s got it in him to be a contender, but he needs a little work. He seems so agitated that he’s body-slamming more posts than not. Cathal idly though he should give him a few pointers over that drink.

              The bell rang at the impact of his hind paw as he flew by. He didn’t even slow down to deliver the blow. Then Cathal put on a little more speed. This last mad dash was going to make or break the cat, and Cathal didn’t intend to loose.

              **************

              Stealth was taken aback slightly when he came to the posts in the ground. He negotiated the things, but he scrapped more of them with his sides than he was comfortable with. And that blasted rabbit was doing back-flips. As if this was nothing to him. Stealth was sure the fuzz-ball was just showing off, and that made him even madder. Being beaten in any race is bad enough for the cat; but being beaten so soundly that his opponent has time for acrobatics? That cannot be allowed to happen.

              “You are NOT faster than me blast you.” He wanted to scream. Then, suddenly, his desire to win overtook his better judgment and sense of fair play. Without fully realizing it he morphed into his faster form, that being full cheetah. He ziged, and zaged through the last few posts with astonishing grace, and bolted after the rabbit. His trousers fell to the ground behind him, forgotten. He snarled his rage as the rabbit looked back at him. “I'll catch you yet blast you.” Was what he had intended to say.

              ************

              It was now an all but sure win for the rabbit, as was usual. He had to admit though; the cat was a better challenger than he had anticipated. He looked back briefly as he approached the finish line to see how far ahead he was still. Much to his surprise he was not very far ahead at all. And the full morph feline behind him had that hunters focus that such felines are famous for.

              Then the cat let out a predatory cry that instilled the deepest fear in his heart. “He’s gone tharn.” The rabbit though to himself even as he bolted for all he was worth. “If he catches me now, I'm cheetah chow.”

              Crossing the finish line only a half second before the cat, he quickly bolts left, then he bolted left again, giving himself precious seconds. The cat now about ten paces behind him, Cathal ran for all he was worth, which is to say nearly as fast as the cat behind him.

              Over a small stream Cathal jumped, Stealth hot at his heels. He bolted left again, and is almost caught by the cats’ claws. But he gained a precious few seconds and sees a tree up ahead. Thinking fast he headed straight for the tree. Taking from his legs all the speed they would give. Still, the cat behind him was inching closer and closer every second. The timing couldn’t have been better though as just as the cat was about to swipe his hind paws out from under him the rabbit jumped up. He flipped through the air and landed about five feet up the trunk. His hind paws impacting the bark of the tree at the equivalent of about sixty-five miles an hour.

              Damn but did it hurt. He had to have strained something at the very least, but he paid the pain no heed at all as he felt the tree shudder. Whether from his own impact or that of the cat chasing him, he wasn’t about to find out. Kicking out as hard as he could, he hit the ground about twenty paces away and within a scant few seconds the rabbit was nowhere to be seen.

              ************

              Stealths focus went from “catch up to the rabbit.” To “catch the rabbit.” Only two words to the rational mind, but his mind wasn’t completely rational at the time. The look of fear in the eyes of his query was all it took to send his barely rational mind over the edge of oblivion. He was going to show that rabbit who was the fastest cat in town once and for all.

              Already more than a little warm and fuzzy from the obstacle course the cheetah was only a few feet from his target when the fuzz-ball suddenly bolted to the left and followed it up with another quick left. Tearing rents in the lawn beneath his paws, dirt and grass flying in all directions, the cat somehow managed to maintain his pursuit, though he lost a little ground.

              Just as he was about to catch the bugger again the rabbit leapt in the air over a stream, the cat just barreled through it, water splashing everywhere. Instantly the cat was cooled, almost shockingly so. The rabbit faltered briefly when he landed and that was almost enough for stealth to catch him, but all he got was a tuft of fur for his troubles. And once again they were off.

              Finally the little fuzz-ball seemed to be getting tired, no longer was he bolting and doing fancy acrobatics. He was going instead in a relatively dead straight run. And was losing ground to the cat fast. Just when victory was almost within his claws though, that blasted rabbit pulled another stunt. This time he jumped up and began to rebound off a tree. But that was all Stealth knew as he ran headlong into that same tree, and blackness took him.

               The next thing Stealth knew was having a bucket of water splashed on him. He came to with a start only to be told to stay still and don’t shift.

              “You hear me kid?” The voice was familiar, but through the pounding in his head, he couldn’t quite make it out. So he opens his eyes instead. And that hurt almost as much.

              ‘Oh, great gods, my head hurts.’ he thought to himself. It was George, the patrol master. He had a look of both concern and irritation upon his face. ‘What happened? Did I get run over by a dragon or something’

              “Don’t move, just let us take care of you. You might have really hurt yourself with that little stunt. You’re lucky to still be alive.” It was the time of year when some of the keepers started having problems with colds and flues. George would bet garrets to round-cakes that the cat had taken some of Paskals cold and allergy potion. His behavior was consistent with the famous side effects. If the stuff weren’t so blasted effective, the Duke would have banned the stuff last winter when she first developed it. His suspicions were confirmed with a quick whiff of the cats breath. The Jackal just shook his head.

              More quickly than the cat was aware what was happening he was laid out on a stretcher and on his way to the infirmary. “You two take care of him, and tell Coe what happened, and that it’s another cold potion incident. I'll look for Cathal” the Jackal instructs the two aids that are carrying him. At the mention of the Rabbits name Stealth recalled what had happened, and was afraid of what might have happened.

              George is not unaware of his sudden alarm. “Don’t worry too much lad, he was long gone before we got to you.” Then he removed from one of his many pockets a tuft of brown fur that had been found by the stream. “But I am sure he wasn’t too happy with how close to him you got.”

              He gets that stern look to his eyes, the one that could wilt a rose at peak bloom. “I've been watching you two since you showed up at the Kite. Let me give you a garrets worth of free advise son, cheaters never win against the likes of Cathal. He‘s a contender with a big Ego. And he‘s one hell of a warrior, I wouldn‘t go trying to kill him if I were you. Also, any potion of Paskal’s must be used with great care. When she says ‘take it easy on this stuff’ she means it. I don’t care how good you feel.” With that George leaves to hunt down Cathal and find out how the rabbit fared.