[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LX

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:00:00 EST 2008

Greetings all!  I am now going to begin posting
the edited version of my most recent chaptes
beginning with Chapter 60.  Not much has changed
in this chapter florm what it was before, but all
those past this will see slight changes (scenes moved, added, etc...).

I will post the new material as I finished a cursory edit.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LX

The Jungle

         Metamor looked much as it had the last
time Murikeer had seen it, the crowds little
different than any other city but for the
singular variety given solely to the Cursed
kingdom.  A pair of Warden’s gave him and
Kozaithy a cursory glance as they passed through
the Euper gate and gazed upon the main boulevard
through Keeptowne, the town that crowded into the
walls of the castle’s outer ward.
         Much of the destruction that Murikeer
remembered had been removed, repaired, or
entirely replaced.  Even in the cool of the early
winter afternoon the work continued.  Murikeer
wove his way through scaffolding and bearers
carrying freshly hewn lumber to shore up repairs
before winter hit in earnest.  He saw no one he
recognized directly though a few did offer a
brief nod of familiarity before moving on without
addressing him.  Kozaithy took a different path
upon arriving at Euper explaining that she needed
to tell her friends, those that had survived the
fall of Bradanes and followed her lead to the
healing, and Curse, of Metamor Keep, that she had
taken on a new service.  While not noble of birth
or official station many of those who had
followed her fanciful story of a cure for their
ailment looked to her as a replacement for the
Lady Bradanes, and her daughter, both of whom had
perished before reaching Metamor.  Only the Lord
Bradanes had survived but claimed no nobility for
himself despite the assertion of his people to
continue following him.  The refugees had taken
up a large section of Euper that had received
some of the greatest damage during the winter
attack the previous year and had been steadily
returning it to a state of livability ever since.
         They had agreed to meet at the fully
repaired Deaf Mule, of which Kozaithy was
familiar but had never entered, at the seventh hour.
         Thus Murikeer passed below the great
archway and entered the First Hall, or what
passed for it that day, and paused to look
around.  Past the throngs coming and going on
their various duties he saw that the gray stones
of the Keep showed no scars from the wars that
had scored it during the last decade.  The arcade
of kings stretched away toward the high dais, the
stone kings standing silent sentinel over all
that had come after them.  Murikeer paused before
Ovid I and stared up at the visage that he had
last looked upon as a half-destroyed bust riven
by the bolt of energy that had taken the life of
his first love, the mink Llyn who called herself
Joy.  He recalled well the words that he threw at
her in the heartbeats before the magic intended
to slay him passed to her and shattered many of
the statues now lining the Arcade of Kings unscarred by their destruction.
         Would that Llyn had been so easily repaired.
         He pondered shattering the statue anew,
but only for a moment, and moved on.  The
brightness of the sunlight streaming in through
the open doors of the Keep gave way to the deeper
gloom of the myriad corridors that punctured the
ancient stonework of the Keep like the warrens of
a rat’s nest.  “Hello, Metamor.  Hello,
Kyia.”  He said at some length as he paused in a
small courtyard thick with the denuded twigs of summer topiary.
         “Hello, Findahl.  Welcome home.” Came
the reply, a whisper on a breeze that could never
have reached the courtyard by the mere vagaries
of nature.  No speaker presented themselves but
Murikeer knew the quiet feminine voice of
Kyia.  He nodded with a smile and continued his
journey with a shift of the small satchel hung over his shoulder.
         He in a short while came to the door to
the infirmary and pushed it open.  Behind the
ancient, well work desk the healer Coe looked up
at his arrival and quirked his ears forward in
curiosity.  “Hello, Muri.  I haven’t seen you in
a coon’s age.”  He smiled at his pun and stood to
come out from behind the desk while smoothing the
equally age worn smock he wore.  “How is your eye?”
         “I took a long journey, master
Coe.”  Murikeer crossed to offer the healer a
handshake with a smile of his own.  “My eye
continues to pain me, but it does not fester so badly as it did when I left.”
         “If you’re willing to stay a short while
I would like to take a look at it.  What brings
you?”  He turned slightly to motion at one of the
untenanted chairs.  One of the caretakers stepped
out of a recovery room, a white Persian cat
Murikeer knew by appearance but not by name.  She
glanced to Coe and his visitor and curtsied
briefly before carrying out a stack of dirty
linen.  Murikeer returned the greeting with a nod
of his head while he crossed to the chair and sat
down.  Coe stepped up close and gently drew the
leather eyepatch that covered Murikeer’s ravaged
left eye, his whiskers twitching at the fetid
odor that escaped despite the skunk’s best efforts to magically subdue it.
         “I came to see if a companion of mine
was here, I heard he took an injury during the
summer and was still recovering.”  Murikeer sat
stolidly while Coe carefully removed the ball of
herbs and muslin that Murikeer changed every day
to keep the scarred socket clean and shaped
properly to prevent the collapse of the soft
tissues surrounding the empty hole.  He stifled a
wince at the familiar jab of pain attendant to
every manipulation of his injury.  Compared to
the crushing ache that struck him every time he
worked magic it was a pittance.  If anything his
pain tolerance had climbed considerably in the past year.
         “It looks healthy enough, for an injury
of this nature.  It still refuses to heal?”  Coe
set aside the fetid ball of dark stained muslin
and leaned closer to examine the empty orb
studiously.  “What friend?  I’ve none here that
would be so long in recovery.”  After a lengthy
visual examination he walked to a nearby table
neatly arranged with all manner of instruments
and bandaging to pick up a few small implements and fresh muslin.
         “The raccoon mage Rickkter.”
         Coe favoured him with a flat stare over
his shoulder for a moment before collecting the
last of the tools he wished to use and returned,
handing several of them wrapped in a muslin
square for Murikeer to hold.  “He is not being
kept here.”  Using a pair of slender picks he
touched about very delicately within the cavity
of Murikeer’s empty socket.  Murikeer suffered
the stings and jabs of lancing pain with only the
slightest hitching of his breath while Coe prized
out a few bits and pieces of dead tissue and
wiped them deftly with a bit of muslin he
held.  “Physically there is nothing I could do for him anyway.”
         “What manner of injuries did he suffer
then?  Where is he being cared for?”  Murikeer
held up the bundle of bandages and tools to let
Coe give and take what he required.  The
collection of detritus upon the first square of
bandaging quickly soiled it beyond usefulness and
Coe tossed it into a nearby basket to use another.
         “In body, nothing by this point.  The
Lothanasa Raven mended many of his physical
injuries and once those her magic did not mend
had healed sufficiently she had him moved to her
Temple.”  Retrieving a pitcher of clean water and
pipette he returned and gently rinsed the injured
flesh.  The fresh bandage quickly became as
tainted as the first but with a more healthy red
of fresh blood rather than the ichorous black of dead flesh.
         “How was he injured?”  Murikeer hissed
at the chill of the cold water icing its way
through his skull.  Coe set aside the pipette and
began preparing a new muslin replacement to fill his wound.
         “How came you to know he was injured in
the first place, Murikeer?  I take it you’ve only
recently returned from whatever travels you
endured?”  Picking through small ceramic vessels
of herbs and unguents Coe began blending them in
a pestle.  “I am not terribly sure how much I can tell you.”
         Murikeer nodded and watched the
preparation.  “I returned two days ago.  Some
mutual friends told me that he had received some
grievous injuries defending the Duke from some assassins?”
         Coe delicately balled the mixture into a
muslin-wrapped bundle and returned to carefully
work it into the freshly cleaned socket of
Murikeer’s missing eye.  The pain was sharp and
intense and caused Murikeer to hiss despite his
best efforts to withstand the pain.  “By the by,
yes, as accurate an explanation as I could give
you.  For more you might have to speak with the
Duke himself, he has forbade overmuch loose talk
concerning the event.”  Satisfied that his work
was secure he lightly replaced the skunk’s eye patch.
         “I will go speak with Raven and look in on him, then.”
         “How close a friend is he?”
         “I am a mage, as you know.  He was my master.”
         “Ah.  Hopefully the Lightbringer will be
able to enlighten you better than I can, I’m sorry.”
         “Thanks anyway, master Coe.  Should I
come by more often for you to examine my own
healing?  I’m afraid it’s not something any magic or divine touch can remedy.”
         “If you’ve been travelling for the last
half year without incident I don’t think I could
do a great deal more than you have done yourself, lad.”
         Murikeer stood and laughed ruefully,
“Oh, there have been incidents, my
friend.  Sometime I will have to tell you about
some of the interesting adventures my friends and
I stumbled into in our travels.”
         Coe clapped him on the shoulder and
accompanied him to the door, “Over a pint of
juice at the Mule, perhaps, where I can enjoy a
good yarn without being interrupted by someone
with a wrenched claw or skinned knee.”

----------

         By nightfall the plains between the
walls of Masyor and the armies of Mallow Horn
were emptied and quiet.  The grass had been
tracked into mud already but the main roads were
still clear.  Upon the foremost of these Duke
Titian Verdane pitched his meeting tent.
         The tent was made from a brilliant
scarlet weave and from each pole flew a wolf
silhouette pinion.  Ten large poles arranged in a
fat rectangle supported the fabric and between
them a long table had been placed with one of
Verdane’s thrones at its head.  Another twelve
shorter poles stood off to each side to allow for
servants and soldiers to keep watch.  Only a
single entrance existed with a foyer through
which only Verdane’s guests, soldiers, and servants could pass.
         From each pole a lamp had been
hung.  Verdane sat with regal stiffness while his
Castellan Sir Malcolm Royce stood at his right
with burly arms crossed.  Fidgeting with his
spectacles, Apollinar his Steward occupied the
space at his left.  They were symbols of his
position and his power.  Both superior military
might and their feudal lord would be before them this night.
         Food had been brought; bread, meat, and
wine from Verdane’s own stores.  Another reminder
to both besieger and besieged that their wares
would run out in time if they continued the folly
of their feud.  Seated in a lounge between two of
the large poles was his daughter Anya.  His
vassals sat at the table quietly eating, watching
and waiting.  Several times Thrane leaned forward
as if to whisper something to Stoffels, but his
eyes would flick to Grenholt who sat at his side
and he’d stuff a morsel in his mouth instead.
         Verdane’s interest in them was only that
they didn’t decide to scheme against him here
where he was vulnerable.  The Wolf’s Claw guarded
the tent along with two squads of pikemen, but
against an entire army they could easily be
slain.  One more reason for keeping all of his vassals here under his thumb.
         The first of the feuding lords to arrive
was Lord Guilford of Masyor.  He was a modestly
built man, though with strength in every sinew of
his body.  As a young man he’d worked the
fisheries alongside his subjects, a fact that
blistered and callused his hands.  He bore a
freshly cleaned green doublet bearing the issuant
osprey of Masyor.  Judging by his still wet hair,
the lakeland lord had taken a bath before coming to the tent.
         Verdane didn’t stand. “Lord Anson
Guilford,” Apollinar said in his loudest of
voices. “Take the seat at his grace’s right.  As
these are your lands the place of honour at the Duke’s table is yours.”
         Guilford scowled at the other lords,
quickly passing them by to kneel before Verdane.
“Your grace.  Thank you for coming to my people’s aid.”
         Verdane’s stony expression remained. “I
have done no such thing, Anson.  If I must I will
level your castle myself.  Sit.”
         A slight ripple passed through the man’s
form as he rose and sat.  He eyed Anya
suspiciously as she reclined with equal
imperturbability as her father, but said
nothing.  He sampled the bread and sipped the wine.
         A few minutes later the besieging lord
made his entrance.  Lord William Dupré bore a
mail shirt beneath his ram’s head blue
tabard.  His boots had brown smears where he’d
scraped mud off.  His hearty face was set in a
angry-line, dark eyes scowling as they swept over
each of the assembled lords.  They practically
steamed when they beheld Guilford.  But it was
only when they caught sight of his wife on the couch that he gave into rage.
         “How dare you, your grace, bring my wife
here for this!  She has no place in this
tent!  You are using her against me and that is
unconscionable!” William frothed at the lips and beat his fist into the table.
         Sir Malcolm Royce lowered one hand to
the pommel of his sword.  His eyes never left
William.  Verdane lifted one hand and said in a
severe tone, “She is my daughter and goes where I
wish it.  She is here for two reasons.  She will
witness our discussions here, and she acts as surety for your behaviour.”
         William blanched. “You threaten your own daughter?”
         “My daughter?  Hardly!  It is not her
person that I hold in surety, but your marriage
to her.” At that Anya sat up.  Her worried eyes
met William’s and she moved her lips as if to
speak.  William seethed but nodded.
         “Lord William Dupré of Mallow Horn,”
Apollinar intoned as if the earlier outburst had
never occurred. “Please take the seat at his grace’s left and he will begin.”
         Dupré did as asked.  He glared across
the table at Guilford, but unless he decided to
throw his wine glass or a slab of mutton, he had
nothing with which to strike.  The table was wide
enough that neither of them could reach each
other even if they stretched.  Guilford did his
best not to look at Dupré, but every time his
eyes slipped a fierce anger churned within them.
         “I have come to put an end to this
feud,” Duke Titian Verdane said.  He did not move
arm or leg, only his tongue as he spoke. “You
have squabbled for too long, and have incited my
vassals into rebellion against me.  Both of you.”
He turned his head an inch to the right. “Lord
Guilford, you flagrantly ignored my command to
rebuild the bridges downstream from the
lake.  Your forces have torched farms and
villages within Mallow Horn’s fief.  Your actions
have crippled a portion of the harvest in the
Southern Midlands and will lead to hunger and
starvation this winter in many cities including your own.”
         He then turned his head an inch to the
left and let his eyes of iron bore into the
unrepentant face of William Dupré. “You, Lord
Dupré, allied yourself with fanatical Questioner
priests and scoured your land for Lothanasi
subjects.  You then had them murdered.  Not only
did you violate my laws in these lands but also
the laws of your faith.  The mandate of the
Questioners does not extend without an order from
the Council of Bishops over anyone who is not a Follower.”
         Verdane shifted his head back to regard
both of them. “I hold these things against you
and will render judgement.  But first, an
order.  This siege is over.  When we have
concluded everything, Lord Dupré will order all
of his men to return home and his engineers to
dismantle their towers.  Lord Guilford will
release his soldiers to return to their farms and
fisheries.  If I have to end this feud a second
time your heads will join your flags atop your castle walls.”
         He leaned forward slightly. “Now that we
have that established, you will tell me why you
have done these things.  What are your
grievances?  What do you want that I can
give?  And what will you offer in reparations for your crimes?”
         Anson Guilford scowled but still refused
to look at Dupré. “I want vengeance for my
son.  One of his men killed my Lucat.  They
hurled him off our tallest tower wrapped in a
banner from Mallow Horn.  I will not be satisfied
until I have blood for my son’s.”
         “I had nothing to do with it!” William
snapped, eyes livid. “As much as I delight in
there being one less Guilford to sully Galendor,
I had nothing to do with the boy’s death.”
         “Liar!” Anson snapped. “The banner was unmistakable!”
         “Anyone could have placed it there who
wished us to war against each other.  I tell you
I did not kill that boy.” A sadistic smile grew
on William’s lips. “If it had been me, it would
have been you and your wife who were thrown from
the tower.  I’d much rather fight a war against a
weakling boy like that Lucat.”
         Anson leapt to his feet, his face
purpling in apoplexy. “You... you... dare!”
         “Sit down,” Verdane said.
         “He’s a monster!”
         William leaned back and laughed.
         “Shut up and sit down.” Verdane
repeated.  Sir Royce took two steps forward and
put a mailed hand on Anson Guilford’s shoulder
and shoved down.  The lord of Masyor, stout
though he was, fell back to his seat with a
strangled cry. Anson slowly turned back to Duke
Verdane, though his cheeks still ran red. “Now,”
Verdane added, “you attacked William’s lands
after the death of Lucat.  What evidence do you
have that it was Lord Dupré other than the
banner?  Anyone who wished to sow discord in my
lands could have placed it there knowing what you would do.”
         Anson took several seconds to
breathe.  The colour left his cheeks slowly. “The
Lothanas of Masyor consulted the gods in this
matter.  They told him that a dark evil allied to Dupré killed my dear son.”
         “Nonsense!” Dupré snapped. “Your gods
are but superstition and folly!  Even his grace does not believe in them!”
         “I do not worship them,” Verdane pointed
out. “That is not the same thing.  Continue,
Anson.  What did the gods have to say about this evil power?”
         Anson sat a little straighter in his
chair, as if he sensed some small measure of
victory in Verdane’s theological correction. “The
evil came from the south.  A land called Marzac.”
William fidgeted in his seat with a fierce
scowl.  The other lords all watched with
undisguised interest. “I’d never heard of it and
all I’ve been able to learn since then is that it
lies at the southern tip of the Pyralian
Kingdoms.  That is a land said to be cursed but
no one lives there so I can only assume it was brought here by William.”
         “What would I have to do with dark
powers from cursed lands?” William snorted. “I
have never been south of the Midlands!  Nor have
any of my men!  This is preposterous.”
         “I will be the judge of that,” Verdane
replied.  He turned back to the green-clad lord
of Masyor. “So, what other evidence have you
linking William Dupré to your son Lucat’s death?”
The news of dark powers was disturbing and
something Verdane would need to investigate on
his own.  But that would have to come later.
         Anson pressed one fist to his chin and
shook his head. “The banner and the Lothanas’s
testimony are all that I needed.  My son was
murdered.  I have the right for vengeance!”
         “You have not the right to plunge my
lands into civil war,” Verdane replied
coolly.  Anson opened his mouth to object, but
Verdane shook his head. “I am through listening
to you, Lord Guilford.  It is now Lord William
Dupré’s turn to explain himself.” He let his eyes
slide across the table to the blue-liveried
noble.  The colour in William’s cheeks had
finally faded, but the fire in his eyes was as
strong as ever. “You have already denied having
anything to do with Lucat’s murder, so do not
bother saying it again.  But you have allied
yourself with fanatical Questioners who’ve
slaughtered several Lothanasi villages under my
protection.  You have done far more than defend
yourself from attack.  You have deliberately
goaded my vassals to betray me.  What do you have to say for any of this?”
         William laced his fingers together and
rested his hands on the table.  He leaned
forward, a lop-sided smile gracing his lips. “I
was attacked first.  It is only just that I seek
out allies to destroy those who seek to destroy
me.  His base of support has always been the
Lothanasi in these lands.  It has become clear to
me that as long as one of us lives this feud
cannot end.  The one of us with the most allies
will be the one to survive.  I was determined that it would be me.”
         Verdane noted William’s calm, but
refused to be taken in by it. “Do you deny
sending letters to Haethor, Ralathe, and Llarth
requesting they send troops to aid you in your campaign?”
         “Why shouldn’t they help me?”
         Verdane took a deep breath. “They are my vassals, not yours.”
         “Why should that matter?  I asked for
their aid, and at least Llarth did.  They weren’t
cowed by you like those weaklings Thrane and
Stoffels.” Thrane smiled like an idiot at that,
while Stoffels fumed.  Verdane felt ill at
ease.  Why would William speak ill of his
would-be allies?  Did he have some hidden ally
that Verdane didn’t know about? “You should have
aided me too, your grace.  You are a
Follower.  You’re lands will be stronger if they embrace a single faith.”
         “Pagans spread their false religion by
the sword.  The Ecclesia does not!” Verdane cast
a quick glance at Anson, but the lord of Masyor
had sunk into a muttering torpor.  His eyes
stared at something only he could see as he sat
slumped in his chair.  Verdane glowered anew at
William. “Those who would do so have lost hope
and trust in Eli and are damning themselves.  And
Thrane and Stoffels are my vassals.  They are not
craven for doing as I say.  They are obedient and
good servants who will be rewarded for coming to
my aid.” He’d have to confess to lying about the
craven bit later, but it would mollify them at least.
         “Are you suggesting I was wrong to defend myself?”
         “Slaughtering Lothanasi villages that do
not even owe fealty to Masyor is not defending yourself.”
         William sneered. “Traitors!  They would
stab me in the back.  They deserved to die.  And
I’m glad I had them killed.  You may have stamped
out the Questioners but they did their job very well.  I’m proud of them.”
         “Do you have then no justification for
your actions other than you were attacked first?”
         William leaned back and stared down his
nose at the Duke. “Why should I have to justify it at all?”
         Verdane swallowed the bile rising in his
throat.  He spread his hands wide and pushed
himself to his feet.  The other lords were quick
to rise but William remained where he
sat.  Haughty, he stretched his arms out and
said, “You’ll thank me in the end, your grace.”
         “We are finished here tonight.” He could
barely restrain the rage in his chest. “If anyone
so much as thinks of striking the other I will
decimate all of you.  The only way your heads
will not decorate pig poles outside my tent is if
you do nothing.  We will meet again tomorrow.” He
finally turned and stared at William. “And if you
do not get on your feet and show me proper
respect, Lord Dupré, by the time I have finished
speaking, your head will be rolling on the ground at my feet.”
         Dupré stood and brushed something off
his tabard. “Forgive my impertinence, your
grace.  But I am right.” He turned and stalked
out of the tent.  The other lords watched him go
with empty faces.  Even after he’d left they stood there dumbfounded.
         “If you will excuse me, I need time to
think.  Please return to your tents.  I will
summon you when I need you.  Lord Guilford,
retire to your castle, but you will be expected
tomorrow.” They each quickly left after making
brief signs of obeisance.  Apollinar busied
himself in one of the private enclosures within
the tent, while Sir Royce stayed at his side a
statue of coiled tension.  Anya rose to her feet, her eyes sullen and distant.
         “Anya,” he said. “You must talk with
your husband.  I am very near to following through on my threats.”
         “Please, father,” she said, her voice
faint.  He hadn’t hear her speak so plaintively
since she’d been a girl. “Don’t kill him.  No
matter what he has said or done, please spare his life.”
         Verdane wanted to grant mercy for his
daughter’s sake, but if he hoped to save the
Southern Midlands he was going to have to make an
example of somebody, and William was asking to be
the one.  He took a deep breath before daring to
say anything. “That depends on him.  Speak with
him and make him see reason.  I can understand
where Lord Guilford is coming from.  But your
husband acts like a madman, violently angry one
moment and then contemptuous the next.”
         Anya licked her lips and nodded. “I will
speak with him.  Good night, father.”
         He watched her leave the tent.  Her gait
was stiff and formal.  He sighed heavily,
lowering his eyes to the table.  Beside him he
could feel Sir Royce relaxing. “Do you think she’ll succeed, your grace?”
         “I hope she does.  It’s all gone,
Malcolm.  Everything I’ve ever tried to build in
my life is slipping through my fingers.”
         Royce grunted. “You’ll get it back.  Jaime will come back to you.”
         Verdane lifted his eyes to the tent
flap, but they were down and unmoving.  Beyond he
could imagine the executioner and his
axe.  Beneath it fell Dupré, Guilford, Calladar,
and Otakar.  Their heads bounced into the mud and
were crushed by wagon wheels and hooves.  It
proved to be a satisfying dream.  “Jaime will
come back to me.  And he better be alive.”
         Royce had nothing to say to that.

----------

         After a week of riding the Rheh Talaran
over the swamp their golden steeds all abruptly
came to land in a dry patch within a copse of
cypress.  The day was not half over and the sun
painfully blistered their exposed skin even
though their speed kept them cool.  Once they
landed the muggy air forced Charles and Kayla to
pant like miserable beasts.  Even Habakkuk looked
out of sorts with his muzzle hanging open with every breath.
         Several times the Keepers complained of
the unbearable heat.  Since entering the swamp,
Guernef’s thick plumage had begun shedding
feathers in a disorderly array which Abafouq did
his best to straighten each night.  Jerome and
Charles had grown up knowing the heat of the
desert but it was nothing compared to the murk of
the Marzac swamps and jungle depths.  Clouds of
mosquitos hovered over still algae-ridden ponds
waiting for a foolish beast to come close that
they might feed.  Mildew and fungus spread across
every fallen log and even climbed like vines up
tree trunks.  The trees were twisted with broad
leaves that choked the sunlight but offered no
solace.  Beasts that looked like logs lurked
beneath the gangrenous surface of the water but
attacked any who came near.  But knowing Steward
Thalberg who looked much as they did, the Keepers
knew to avoid them.  But that was only one peril
out of hundreds that waited for them.
         And now the Rheh who had carried them
over so much of the danger would go no further.
         After they set down between the cypress
trees, their riders glanced in confusion at each
other.  Guernef glided down behind them and shook
out his neck feathers.  James was the first to
find his voice.  He leaned forward in his saddle
and brushed one hand over the bell-shaped white
mark on his Rheh’s forehead. “Why did we
stop?  There’s a few hours of day left.”
         “We have come as far as they will go,”
Qan-af-årael said as he dismounted. “It is time
for us to say goodbye to our friends.”  So saying
he ran one hand along his Rheh’s cheek.  The
small stallion pressed his head into the Åelf’s
hand affectionately, but would not lift his hooves.
         “Well, I guess we start walking,”
Lindsey said as he climbed down. “I hope we don’t have far to go.”
         Jessica, who’d been riding with him,
hopped to the ground and shifted into her
human-sized form.  She stretched out her wings
and wiggled the fingers at their tips. “It’s
still swamp as far as I could see.”
         Lindsey wiped the sweat from his
forehead and then swatted at something on the
back of his neck. “Then we better move fast.  I hate this place.”
         “Try not to think ill thoughts,” Abafouq
warned as he jumped to the ground from his
mount.  The Binoq touched the charm at his neck
with one finger and said, “The corruption of this
land will use any pass to enter us.  We must give it no openings.”
         Lindsey nodded and wiped his forehead
again.  The Rheh remained motionless while he and
the others removed their equipment.  Charles
resumed his six-legged form to carry the extra
supplies, though they had to be careful not to
crush the ivy that began exploring his lower
back.  By the time they were finished, Charles
realized that he’d never noticed the real weight
while he’d been stone.  Despite his increased
bulk and Sondecki strength, their gear was heavy!
         Once the Rheh were divested of the gear,
they took a few heavy steps backwards in
unison.  Their heads lowered and they as one fell
to their front knees.  The cypress branches
caught a breeze and their leaves brushed together
in a soft whisper.  Words curled through their minds in a sibilant hush.

The wind calls and we must take heed
For now we return to the start.
No more shall Rheh play any part
In thy wondrous acts and deeds.

Goodbye again, the air is now foul.
Goodbye again, time has come to bend.
Goodbye again, the curtain now will rend.
Goodbye again, fear not evil’s growl.

Goodbye ancient one, the star’s child.
Goodbye lofty one, the wind’s song.
Goodbye hidden one, sorrow’s long.
Goodbye strong and mild, never wild.
Goodbye stone and vine, ever more thine.
Goodbye bell’s death cry, balm for mourn.
Goodbye woman gone, dragon born.
Goodbye man who knows, fate divine.
Goodbye eager son, know the night.
Goodbye strength in love, strike with might.
Goodbye soaring mage, last of light.
Goodbye rider’s well, key to fight.

The wind calls and we must take heed
For now we return to the start.
No more shall Rheh play any part
In thy wondrous acts and deeds.

         And then, even as they stared in wonder
at the golden steeds, they rose to four hooves
and leapt into the air.  Their hooves burned with
iridescent flame as they streaked northwards
passed the cypress and out of sight.  The ground
where they’d once stood was charred black.
         None of them moved for several seconds
as they pondered the words they’d heard.  Charles
brushed his fleshy fingers across the vine
growing over his chest and back.  Had the verse
about the stone and vine been about him?  And
what did they mean by “ever more thine?”
         Qan-af-årael approached the spot where
the Rheh Talaran had been only moments
before.  Andares followed him, their heads bowed
and reverent.  His ancient form knelt slowly, and
he pressed his lips to each of the scorch marks
one by one.  Andares did as well.  Abafouq licked
his lips as he watched and then gestured to the
rest. “It is only right to give thanks for what they have done.”
         That was enough to break them from their
torpor.  The ground was warm, soft, and seemed to
kiss right back.  By the time they were done
their backs didn’t even ache from bending over
for so long.  Instead they felt eager and ready
to continue on their way.  It was as if the Rheh
had given them one last gift before leaving.
         With determined grins, the group marched
past the row of cypress and into the swampy maze.

         The enthusiasm from their parting lasted
them two days.  By the third day of travel the
hostility of the swamp and the difficulties of
making any headway began to wear on them and
drive them to grumbling under their breaths.  The
heat and thick air beat at them constantly.  So
far to the south, the sun stayed up longer than
the Keepers were used to seeing in
December.  With it so hot they had to remind
themselves that it was December!  The Yule
celebrations were not long in coming.  Soon, it
would be a year since Nasoj had launched his
winter assault against Metamor in the middle of a raging blizzard.
         The only raging things they were going
to find in the swamp were mosquitos and
fever.  They’d seen enough of the former to last
a lifetime and hoped they’d be spared the latter.
         But as they trekked through a
particularly marshy section of the swamp, Charles
began to understand what Abafouq had meant about
the corruption.  As they continued south the firm
land gave way from time to time to bogs.  The
trees rose high overhead with their roots visible
above the murky water.  They tried to make their
way from tree to tree to find any land they
could.  Their legs were soaked and their toes
coated in slime that stank worse than the jungle
did.  Bugs circled them, but Jessica’s repellant
spell seemed to finally start working.  Either
that or they stank too much even for the mosquitos.
         His situation was worse than the
others.  While his four legs allowed him better
traction through the muck, he was far heavier and
sank more easily through the viscid water.  He
frequently had to expend his Sondecki powers to
push off some rotting log — he hoped they were
logs — to get past deeper patches.
         But what he thought about to keep him
going was his wife Kimberly.  He tried to
remember every curve of her face, from the soft
velvety ears, to the smooth silken fur on her
cheeks, to the bright whiskers that framed her
snout, to the dark solemnity of her eyes, and to
the fulsome curl of her smile.  All these and
more the rat brought to mind to distract him from
their predicament.  He even pondered her soft,
furless tail.  He imagined his paws running down
its slender length; he savored the feeling of the
warm flesh twisting and turning at his touch.
         Soon he progressed past Kimberly’s face
to her whole body.  He saw she dressed in a
variety of outfits.  First she wore her working
clothes from her days in the Keep’s
kitchens.  Then she bore a green evening gown
that complimented the soft tan of her fur.  Then
he saw her reclining demurely in the matronly
dress she bore while pregnant.  And then she lay
stretched across their bed without any clothes on at all.
         Charles plunged forward through the
swamp, smiling to himself as he pondered the
visage of his wife spreading herself before him
and for him.  He feasted upon that image, wishing
he could more than just look.  He yearned to
reach out his paws and stroke her soft fur from
thigh to breast to cheek and back again.  Just
imagining her face filled him with an urgency he
didn’t dare contemplate while in his rattaur form.
         And then another body climbed onto the
bed.  Clad in nothing, her paws coquettishly
covering her breasts, breasts that fed his
children, was the opossum Baerle.  She smiled at
him, sharp teeth peeking out from beneath her
white-furred jowls.  Her dark eyes glinted with
reflected lamplight.  Her long furless tail
curled at like a finger beckoning him
closer.  And with her arms she entwined herself
with Kimberly on the bed, the two of them opening
themselves to him, inviting and sultry.
         And then he was there upon them
both.  His paws groped at their flesh,
indiscriminate as to who he touched.  Every
desire in his body was fulfilled by them, their
faces fading from all that he once knew.  They
were not women but bodies of his desire.  The rat
felt immense pleasure suffocate him.  It seemed
to fade for a moment, and a question came to
him.  Not so much a question as a
proposition.  This could be his if he opened
himself to something else, something that made
him yearn to scream.  At his frightened refusal
the pleasing figures vanished into an agony of darkness.
         Charles snapped open his eyes and
shuddered, staring fixedly at the long coursing
vine that grew amidst a plethora of strange ferns
and water lilies.  He noted the distorted yellow
blossoms whose petals and stamen reminded him of
the last remnants of a man screaming in helpless
terror.  Even they with their tendrils and leaves
seemed to gyrate like his wife and her wet-nurse had in his mind.
         He glanced at the others in his party to
see if they were suffering from illusions and
suggestions.  But if they did they kept them
secret like the rat.  He didn’t blame them.  His
heart beat with shame at the thought of seducing
Baerle or of treating her and Kimberly like prostitutes.
         As he trudged through the swamp, his
paws felt the muddy bottom sliding up between his
toes.  He grimaced as he yanked up on each paw,
the ground clutching at them as if yearning to
pull them down.  With each step it seemed to grow
more and more difficult, and he noticed it was
the same for his friends too. “What the?” Lindsey
grunted behind him. “My hand!”
         Charles turned his head and stared
slack-jawed a the northerner’s fingers stretched
and changed in hue.  Where one had been five
meaty digits now hung twisting curls of ivy that
sprouted leaves and little yellow blossoms.  From
beneath his tunic more and more tendrils of ivy
pressed forth.  They dangled from his hair as his
face began to split into broad canary
petals.  His eyes blinked in terror, his scream
dying as his tongue pressed between his lips into a plant’s stamen.
         The rat spun as he heard more screams
echo into the pitiless heights.  Every one of
them was suffering Lindsey’s fate, some
vegetative horror making them part of
itself.  The vine wrapped about Charles’s chest
throbbed and writhed.  He glanced down at his
hands and saw his fingers begin their growth into
ivy. “No!” He snapped tightening his paws into
fists.  He yanked upwards on all four of his
feet, knowing now that the ground sought to make them roots.
         What had the Rheh said of him?  “Stone
and vine ever more thine?” Could he be stone
again?  He stared at his fists and pictured them
as granite.  He thought of being a mountain, hot
deep beneath his stony skin, sinking his feet
into the soil but taking no nourishment from
it.  His lofty peaks were bright with snow, solid
and determined to stand against the elements
beyond the ages of men.  Upon him would live the
rams and grasses, badgers and rodents, fragrant
pines and gentle flowers, and all manners of creatures who dared the heights.
         Behind him he felt Lindsey’s bulk
collapsing against the water’s surface.  He
glanced back and saw his upper body bulging
outwards into a bulbous green blob surmounted by
the wide yellow flower that had been his
head.  Behind him Habakkuk tried to hold onto his
ears with hands that writhed as they splintered
into dozens of vines.  The same happened to everyone in front of him too.
         Charles wrapped his paws around the vine
on his chest and willed himself to be stone.  He
put all thought of Kimberly and what she would
say from his mind.  He put all thoughts of his
children and how they would never be able to run
their paws through his fur.  His friends needed
him more.  Their flesh was being made into
plant.  Stone wasn’t flesh.  He would be
stone.  The stone was his.  Charles would be a creature of living stone.
         A sullen coolness permeated his body and
he felt himself sinking against the ooze and
muck.  It started from deep within and grew out
to his skin, like a crystal growing more and more
facets and tendrils.  Hard and cold was stone,
but also strong and sure.  All his fear faded
into a calm certainty and a firmness of purpose
and devotion.  And with that he knew it had
worked.  He blinked open his eyes and unwrapped
granite paws from the vine.  It alone remained
permeable.  Somehow, he’d brought Agathe’s curse
upon himself again.  The rat of might was now again the rat of stone.
         A determined frown creased his snout as
he turned towards the large yellow blossom and
the maze of vines that snaked through the water
towards him and his friends.  The plant which had
lurked at the edge of his vision before now stood
before him menacing in its power.  The faces in
the blossoms jeered at him, and dark green vines
rose from the water to wrap about his stony middle.
         And then something happened he didn’t
expect.  The ivy growing from his back lashed at
the attacking vines with a fury he’d not seen in
any beast.  The purple flowers spat viscous pus
across the attacking plant and it writhed as its
sinews sizzled and smoked even beneath the water.
         Charles pressed forward, reaching out
with his stony arms and with the ivy gifted to
him by the Wind Spirits in the Åelfwood.  The ivy
raced from his arms across the open waters and
wrapped itself around the sprawling plant.  The
large yellow blossom in the middle writhed,
petals flapping angrily as the purple flowers
spat their poison.  Charles stood watching in
stony serenity as hundreds of vines fell back
into that one spot, the screaming flowers falling
and shedding their petals like hair falling from a corpse.
         He glanced at his friends who were all
varying degrees of similar but smaller versions
of the plant his vine now attacked.  What had
once been Lindsey was the farthest gone; he was
now a mass of leafy fronds and yellow blossoms
that writhed and bulged as their progenitor
struggled.  Charles turned back to the main bulb
and slogged through the mire to its base.  He
reached into the water and gripped the roots,
yanking and tearing with stony claws.  The pulpy
mass shredded under the assault.  Thorny vines
lashed him but could do nothing against his granite flesh.
         And then, the whole mass rose up as if
readying to unleash another attack before falling
back in on itself and sinking slowly beneath the
algae-ridden water.  Charles’s vine slithered
through the water and wrapped itself around the
rat’s chest and back.  Most of the purple
blossoms had been destroyed in its fight, but the
few that survived seemed to bloom even brighter than before.
         Charles turned back around and pushed
through the muck towards his friends.  Already,
the broad yellow leaves drew back against their
stalks, revealing their faces where once had only
been impressions.  The vines withered or withdrew
to reveal hands and arms again.  Gasps were heard
one by one, and each of them shook their bodies,
as the last of the vegetation fell off.
         “By Artela, what was that?” Kayla asked
as she drew her katana and hacked at one of the
limp vines that curled near her.  She then
noticed the rat and exclaimed. “Charles!  You’re stone again!”
         “Aye,” he replied with equanimity. “It
was the only way I could think to protect
myself.  I...” he trailed off as the others
returned to their true selves but not because of
them.  On his chest the sigils of Akkala and
Velena had begun to glow brightly just as they
had after Agathe had been slain.  The same hot
fire burned through him and he cried and clutched
as his stony flesh as it gave way.
         A moment later, all of them were as before, the rat included.
         “I thought...” Charles stammered. “I
thought I was sacrificing myself forever.”
         “No sacrifice is forever,” Qan-af-årael
said with a faint but kind smile. “Especially not
one made in love.  It is what Velena represents and serves.”
         “That’s great and all,” Lindsey
said.  He still had a few yellow petals sticking
out of his neck which he was busy plucking free.
“But is he going to have to do that every time we
run into something that tries to make us part of the flora?”
         “We know what they look like now,”
Jessica pointed out.  She had jumped onto one of
the massive tree roots to try and dry her black
feathers. “I don’t think it will be hard to avoid them.”
         “It smells odd,” James said as he drew
closer to the remnants of the massive bulb. “Like... like...”
         “Like pitch,” Abafouq finished. “I am
thinking we can burn this even in this damp swamp.”
         Charles stroked the vine over his
shoulders with one paw. “If you’re thinking of
taking that thing with us then you can carry
it!  I can’t carry everything and save everyone’s
life at the same time you know.”
         Most of them laughed quietly.  Jerome
patted him on the flank and nodded. “We’ll try to
be more understanding next time, Charles.” And
then, with a softer smile, he added, “And thank
you for saving us.  If you had been stuck as
stone, I know I and all your friends would have
done everything they could to bring you back.”
         The rat nodded and smiled.  He ran his
fingers along the vine and chittered to himself.
“Thank you.  All of you.  I know you would.”
         “That’s right,” Jerome continued. “Now
let’s get this plant cut down.  I’d like to eat a cooked meal tonight!”
         “Amen to that!” Lindsey grinned and
hefted his axe with renewed vigor.  He was
quickly joined by several other hands.  Charles
watched as his friends dismembered what was left
of the transforming plant. He smiled as he felt
the vine twitch in vegetative pleasure.

----------

         Shallow waves lapped at the bow of the
Burning Spear with very little effect on the
dromonai’s broad mass. Though the air was mild it
was almost becalmed and heavy laden with the rich
salty humidity of the sea. The sun was still low
on the eastern horizon and mercilessly stabbed at
the eyes cast in that direction watching, always watching.
         Phil listened to the steady slow creak
of oars rotating in their locks accompanied by
the grunting sea-chant of the First Crew pulling
in time to the drummer’s strike. Below decks the
Second Crew stood ready for any action they might
be called upon to take on which at this period of
empty quietude entailed idle distractions,
repairs, and quiet discourse. The Third Crew
rested in their hammocks lulled by the sonorous
chanting of their fellows at the oars. Phil was
also calmed by the age old cadence and only half
listened while he stood upon the aft castle with
his eye against his far-seer. The heavy brass
scope had been roughly rigged to a standpost to
accommodate Phil’s thumbless paws during the
Spear’s hasty provisioning for their current
mission. Yet for all of his staring through the
polished glass lenses he was rewarded with the
same vision; low rolling waves and the occasional shadow or spume of sea life.
         Somewhere out there to the east the
corrupted vessels of the Marzac fleet were
marshalling among the multitude of mangrove
covered islets surrounding the Marzac peninsula,
gathering their strength to strike outward once
again at some vulnerable point that Phil could
not know. Though he had been a master of spies
for years this was a battle for which he had no
knowledge, no spies in the enemy ranks, no scouts
to reconnoiter the enemy positions. He was blind
and that blindness gnawed at him with every
passing hour. Phil yearned to find them while the
season was favorable, before the winter storms
from the north made navigation so far from the shores a deadly task.
         “How far have we come, Captain?” Phil
asked without taking his eye from the lens, “How
near have we come to the corrupted waters?”
         Standing at the navigation table, a
broad slate pedestal upon which charts could be
chalked, the captain responded. “We’re twelve
leagues from the coast, for what that’s worth,
your highness. The Siren’s Table is perhaps ten
degrees to the south and is the westernmost point of the peninsula.”
         The mage standing behind Phil, Aramaes,
grunted. “We have been able to approach within
seven leagues safely, your highness, so at our
current pace and heading we have another three
hours before we will have to come about.” The
man’s bald pate gleamed like a augurer’s orb in
the morning sun, the fine lines of the blue
tattoos ringing his brow etched dark against the
man’s smooth, tanned skin. “If we continue to
probe the limits of the taint’s reach we risk becoming overwhelmed ourselves.”
         “At your command, highness,” Captain
Ptomamus continued, “I will proceed as closely to
the shore as you ask, to the very flagstones of Marzac itself at your word.”
         Phil admired the young captain’s vigour.
He was still young, as naval officers went, but
he had distinguished himself well on several
difficult missions and attained the command of a
ship earlier than most. One of the more memorable
missions for Phil, shortly after Ptomamus had
gained his first ship, involved a journey into
the harbor of Arabarb under a flag of truce to
slip a spy into the enemy city during the spring
only a year previous. The spy had been Phil’s
friend the rat-morphed Charles Matthias which, to
board the ship under secrecy, had necessitated
the bringing aboard a large quantity of native
rats among which Charles had mingled. Captain
Ptomamus was horribly allergic to rats and, prior
to that mission, had always been very scrupulous
about keeping his ship empty of them. His reports
of the mission had been humorously restrained but
Charles had proved to be considerably more
colourful in his reports. The rat had spoken
highly of the ill-comfitted captain’s forbearance
throughout the mission, and his brave command of
the ship while they attempted escape from
Arabarb. “Hardly necessary, Captain, we will
bring them to us. Taking this fight to them would
prove fruitless.” Sighting nothing more dangerous
than a floating otter Phil abandoned the far-seer
and rubbed his aching eyes with his thumbless
paws to chase away the ache of too many hours spent at the lenses.
         Phil had chosen Ptomamus’ dromonai as
soon as he learned of its captain. While he did
miss Commodore Pythoreaus’ wise counsel and
reassuring presence he needed the experienced
commander to hold their northern flank should the
Marzac fleet manage to slip around Phil’s
patrols. It would be the most exposed and most
likely to suffer attack after Phil’s own and the
prince wanted a seasoned commander in charge.
Ptomamus was a worthy second choice to command
Phil’s fleet, despite his youth, well liked by
those under his direct command and the fleet as a
whole for his charismatic leadership.
         Besides, Phil always had Rupert. The
great ape lurked nearby dressed smartly in the
bright orange of the Whalish Marines. He was a
strong, silent presence, Phil’s overmuscled
shadow, who watched both Phil and the men. The
sight of an imposing ape with determined eyes
proved inspirational to the crewmen, not a single
sailor on board the Burning Spear shirked even the most mean of duties.
         “There is no need to do aught but wait.”
Phil said as he hopped a pace back from the
far-seer. “They came to us once, they will do so
again.” And how calamitous that first raid had
been, decimating every ship within Whales’ main
harbor with twelve corrupted dromonai and
incurring no losses for their brazen assault.
Whales lost fully two-thirds of its remaining,
uncorrupted, naval strength in that treacherous
one-sided attack. The port city, as well, suffered considerable damage.
         Luck granted that most of the finely
trained crews of the moored ships were ashore and
not lost as well. Their rapid response saved the
city a much worse fate while their vessels
burned. That grace allowed the remaining ships,
those that had still been to sea or put in at
other harbors, to possess both full primary and
secondary crews and in some cases a third crew
such as the Burning Spear enjoyed. To a man the
sailors were ready to return the favour of pain
even if it meant doing battle with their own corrupted countrymen.
         “If we don’t find them soon,” Captain
Ptomamus said carefully, “we will have to turn
back for Whales. We put out with only half of our
needed supply to accommodate the Third Crew, and
even then what we did provision was hastily stocked.”
         “There was little time, Captain.” Phil
reminded him gently. “We’ve enough to patrol for
another week with what your logisticians put
aboard.” He looked over to the Spear’s master
mage. “If your mages can supplement the crews’
stamina how long will it take us to return to port?”
         Aramaes rubbed a hand over his bald head
and downward to rub his chin thoughtfully. “With
three crews on rotation and beating a single
stroke, from our current position, perhaps four
days without wrecking the crew.” He frowned at
his own assessment, tapping his index finger
against his lower lip. “It will put a lot of
strain on the mages, however. But we need not
push ourselves so far. During our last long-tell
with Pythoreas’ fleet and Stohshal of the Wind
Runners I was told that the windships have taken
up anchorage in the centre of the Charyn Turn,
which is only half the distance for us to travel.”
         Phil’s whiskers flattened back against
his muzzle in a pained moue, his ears flicking
down. The Turn was a convergence of the cold
northern currents coming down the coast of
Sathmore and the warmer currents sweeping up
along the Marzac coast and was a dangerous
expanse of water even in the calms of summer.
Anchoring in the slow circulation at the centre
of the converging currents, called the Turn, was
an easy way to remain on station but required a
considerable degree of seamanship to navigate.
Ptomamus was hardly any more thrilled than Phil
by the news judging by his own wince and the
shake of his head. “We’ll never get the dromanai
out of the Turn, Ara. Its currents are far too
strong. How the windships manage I have never fathomed.”
         Aramaes nodded sagely and smiled with
one corner of his narrow mouth. Prior to the
catastrophe that claimed the Whalish fleet he had
been primary mage aboard a windship. “You’ve
never pulled canvas on a Wind Runner, Captain.”
He chided gently with a bow to take the sting out
of his reproach. “The galleass can break out into
either of the westward currents to rendezvous and
resupply us on the water. If we catch the
Sonderush and ride it as far as the turn we can
save some hours, and the sweat of our crews.” The
mage waved an arm toward the clear southern
horizon, “With this weather any rush we ride
would prove a safe hastening of our journey.”
         Phil nodded at the mage’s logic and
knowledge while Ptomamus grunted begrudging
agreement. “How are your men holding up?” he asked the captain.
         “Gnawing at the mooring lines for some
action beyond polishing oar-handles, your
highness.” Ptomamus reported with a rueful glance
toward the First Crew labouring at their benches
below. A trio of deck hands was in the process of
doling out water. “They’re soldiers, and men
betrayed, ready to take up swords in a breath.”
The young captain’s rueful sigh became a smile of
pride for his crew, and the fleet of ships
trailing along with them. “A fortnight switching
back and forth upon the open sea with seldom a sight of land has them restive.”
         Phil expected no less and felt no little
bit of pride himself after so long at sea. He had
paid close attention to the crew of the Spear,
and the fleet as a whole, in his two weeks with
little else to do but fog the lens of his
far-seer. He was duly impressed with their
discipline, dedication, and skill. “I have every
trust in your men, Captain. They make Whales
proud.” Phil glanced across the sweep of ships
before and aft of the Spear, four dromonai or
‘fire bearing’ ships and seven identical dromon
that lacked fire projectors, and felt his heart
swell with pride. It had been many long years
since Whales had sortied her larger ships in any
such strength, generally having them spread far
and wide in small groups maintaining the security
of the trade lanes used by dozens of nations.
Even after the crippling ambush in the heart of
their empire the Whalish fleet stood strong,
ready, and capable. “What say you two, shall we
stay this course until high sun? Or shall we turn
about now and strike for the Sonderush?“ Phil’s
statement was interrupted by the solid report of
Rupert’s strong hands being brought together in two swift claps.
         Phil turned and saw the massive
silverback staring at the eastern horizon with
intense focus. His heavy apish brow left his eyes
as little more than muted glimmers inset within
dark, hollow shadows. The ape’s hard stare toward
the east was all the message the rabbit prince
needed. Though Rupert was mute he could
communicate far more clearly than many
honey-tongued nobles. Phil hopped back to the
far-seer and trained it on the horizon, but he
saw only the empty waves capped with blinding sun-gleam.
         Rupert reached over and depressed the
end of the long brass tube of the far-seer
without ever taking his gaze from whatever had
caught his attention. Ptomamus and Aramaes
stepped up to either side and looked eastward as
well, the captain shading his eyes with one hand
while the mage grasped the railing and leaned
forward with his eyes narrowed. Phil kept his eye
to the lens of the far-seer and tried to
understand what he was being asked to look for,
and after several long moments he discovered what
had captured Rupert’s attention; a subtle
arrowing V in the water as one might see made by a skimming bird.
         There was no bird. “Prow cuts.” Phil
breathed in surprise when he finally registered
what he was witnessing. It amazed him that Rupert
had spied it at all as, even with the acuity of
the far-seer, it had taken Phil some moments.
“Aramaes,” he called out in a surprised gasp,
“use your mage sight, there, a few degrees below
the horizon.” He raised a pawn and jabbed it in
the direction he was looking. “Tell me what you see!”
         “Highness,” Aramaes’s fingers curled
over the polished wooden rail and he stared
eastward with the same intensity displayed by the
gorilla standing silently on Phil’s other side.
Phil had ordered the mages to regularly use their
mage sight to keep watch for the corruption and
for any of the enemy ships using magic but thus
far they had seen nothing. Would they now?
Despite Phil’s best efforts to make more out of
the subtle cutting wave he could see the horizon
remained frustratingly empty. “Oh!” Aramaes
gasped in surprise, his body lurching up right as if dashed with cold water.
         “What?” Phil snapped, “What do you see?”
Ptomamus looked over to the mage as well but said
nothing before crossing over to the navigation
table to converse quietly with the steersman.
Aramaes muttered a few words in a language that
defied Phil’s ears to hear as aught but useless
syllables and glared across the water.
         “There they are!” the mage shouted and
cast his head from side to side, scanning the
horizon with his mage sight. “Direct course to
intercept us, two leagues east by north!”
         “How many? And why can’t we see them?”
Phil demanded, finally giving up on the far-seer.
         “An illusion, highness.” Aramaes
reported breathlessly. “A damned good one, too,
but for your bodyguard’s good sight. Even I was
nearly unable to see under it.” He touched his
brow with two fingers and Phil saw his eyes blaze
with a brilliant white radiance. “I have let the
others see, we will try to shatter their veil.”
         “Their course, Ara?” Ptomamus asked
tensely. The steersman, a grizzled old sailor
twice his captain’s age looked on with some concern but held his course steady.
         “South and west, they intend to strike
across our line. They are, and probably have been
for some time, striking engagement speed.”
         The captain nodded curtly as he took in
the news. His crews would be fresh should any
engagement be closed, while having been pushing
on closing speed the enemy crews would be exerted. “Good. Highness, orders?”
         “Maintain our course until we see what
we’re up against.” Phil flicked his gaze from
water to mage and back. The man’s eyes shone like
twin suns and he whispered as if in some private
conversation. Sweat beaded upon the master mage’s
bald pate and made his fine blue tattoos gleam with uncanny luminescence.
         “They fight.” Aramaes growled, “They
know we have spied them, they’re cutting their
course inward to close more swiftly.”
         “Numbers? Can we engage?” Phil asked
again, his body half turned to issue a ready
order to the captain when a sound like tearing
canvas, but far more loud, rent the air. Phil
hunkered down reflexively and his ears went flat
against his head. Flickering blue sheets of
radiance danced crazily across the waters like
the aurora Phil had seen above Metamor Keep on
occasion. Through the shimmering blue haze he saw ships; many ships.
         A discontented murmur of surprise at the
sound became an uproar as the crew also spied
what Phil now gaped at. The rabbit prince blinked
at the vision revealed to his eyes. He rubbed at
his eyes to dash the sun gleam from his retinas
and looked again but the vision remained
unchanged. He looked from the newly revealed
ships to Aramaes and back, grasping the end of
the far-seer in his paws and sweeping it across
the distant heraldry marking the enemy ships.
         “That
 that’s more than just our ships!”
Phil gasped. An entire host of ships appeared
from the dissipating fragments of the illusion
used to mask them from sight. From single deck
skirmish vessels barely capable of managing on
the open sea to ships with multiple decks of
oars, or sails, or both the numbers of the enemy
fleet were unexpected. In truth the enemy force was not a fleet.
         It was an armada.
         “The greater number of them look to be
little more than captured merchantmen or pirate
sturaks, your highness.” Ptomamus intoned flatly
as he surveyed the broadly scattered enemy group.
It was more a mob than formation, with so many
disparate ships corrupted and brought together to
serve the tainted power that was Marzac. “But
there are some Pyralian Navy dromon among them,
as well as Boreaux and even Sathmore vessels.”
         “And our own.” Phil moaned, scanning the line of ships, aghast.
         “I see the Forge Fire, Storm, and
Athene’s Fury.” Ptomamus identified the ships out
of hand without relying on the spyglass. The
three Whalish fire-equipped dromonai escorted a
much larger vessel painted with Pyralian colours.
Smaller Whalish dromus and galleas flanked the
monstrous flagship and its fire-equipped escorts.
         “What is that vessel at their core?”
         “The Iron King.” Aramaes informed him
flatly, “The flagship of the Pyralian Royal Navy.”
         “Arch Pyralis is it’s given name.”
Ptomamus nodded slowly, “I’d never thought I’d be
facing that beast in a fight. This is the first
I’ve ever seen it.” The young captain frowned at
the captured Pyralian monstrosity.
         “We’re not fighting them here.” Phil
managed to force past his clenched teeth with
what little calm he could seize. His rabbit
instincts urged him to find a dark place below
deck to bury himself and let it pass. “Captain,
bring the fleet about, it’s time to draw them out.”
         “I count some forty vessels, highness,
most of which are under canvas.” Ptomamus
observed, crossing his arms over his chest and
leaning his balance back on one foot while he
contemplated the composition of the larger force.
“We can outpace those easily under this flatulent
breeze.” He turned and strode to the front rail
of the aft castle. “Your highness, if we string
their lead elements out under oar we can deal
with them at our leisure.” That said he turned
toward the crew that had stopped rowing at the
first appearance of the illusion-masked fleet.
“Beaters to time and a half, signal forward V!
All ships hard about!” he bellowed loudly enough
to be heard by even the furthest oarsman on the
bow bench but his order was nonetheless echoed by
the Officer of the Deck. “Archers make ready!
Aramaes, inform Gods Favored that she will be our
north and Sea Fury will be our south. The Spear will hold the centre.”
         Aramaes nodded and bowed his head to
hold converse with his fellow mages secure in
their chambers below the aft castle.
         Phil dug the stout claws of his powerful
footpaws into the wood of the deck as the Spear’s
oars dipped to the water and backed hard to slow
the ponderous dromonai. To their flanks the other
ships of Phil’s small Whalish fleet copied the
manoeuver with flawless precision. “Captain,
loosen the formation, make it appear we’ve been
routed into full retreat.” The prince ordered
with a false calm he tried to convince himself
was real while he watched the fastest of the
foe’s ships striking ahead of the armada. Despite
the fear dancing along his prey-attuned nerves
while facing a predator Phil smiled. This time he
had a surprise of his own. “I want them to think
we’ve broken, to pursue so that they might finish
us off.” He rubbed his thumbless paws together
and turned to look up at the taller human
standing at the navigation table. “I want them chasing us.”
         “Oh, they will.” Aramaes muttered.
Rupert pounded a fist into his palm with a
satisfyingly solid smack and stepped closer to
the rabbit prince. Phil nodded to his friend and
smiled afresh. Whales would not lose this time, of that Phil would make sure.
         He had no other choice.