[Mkguild] Messages and Letters delivery on MK setting

Pontos daemonpontos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 03:34:05 EDT 2008

So, following the advise I was given on IRC yesterday, I'm posting this =

here so we all can discuss and express our opinions on the matter.
It came to my mind the idea to implement a relatively organized system =

to deliver letters within the continent where MK resides (and perhaps =

overseas). It would have birds as the deliverers, working pretty much =

like the homing pigeons used in the real world =

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail#Other_systems).

Now, there are a few things to have in mind. First of all, it will =

obviously not work like the postal service of nowadays (Where one =

specifies an exact destination address), but having birds with two =

specific known points to travel to and from. For example, only big =

cities would have "Post offices", and from there the letters would get =

delivered by ground as usual to either that city or the surrounding lands.
There is also the possibility to manipulate said birds with magic, in =

order to make them fly to a certain place normally unknown to them, but =

it will most likely prove to be hard to maintain in the long run =

(Although it could be reserved for critical situations).
Also, pointed by Misha on IRC, the bird-morphs in the keep could be the =

perfect messengers for specific destination letters, as long as said =

destination is friendly towards them :P.

Michael Bard also pointed something important. Storywise, the slowness =

of the normal delivery by horse or coach in some cases is better, and I =

mostly agree with him on that.

Now, if this ends up being implemented, it should be done in a =

progressive way, having tests and the like before setting things up. I =

really don't think that resorting to retcons will be the best idea, =

first of all due to incongruities with past stories, and because it is a =

rather big change in the way letters are sent to simply make all this  =

appear from thin air.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions on this. And if any of you studied in =

the MIT, we could really use your knowledge on system design for this =

idea :P
Greets.

Pontos