[Mkguild] Messages and Letters delivery on MK setting

Hallan Mirayas hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:03:55 EDT 2008

Don't forget trade caravans.  They could drop off letters on the way as wel=
l.

Hallan

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 04:34:05 -0300
From: daemonpontos at gmail.com
To: mkguild at lists.integral.org
Subject: [Mkguild] Messages and Letters delivery on MK setting

So, following the advise I was given on IRC yesterday, I'm posting this
here so we all can discuss and express our opinions on the matter.

It came to my mind the idea to implement a relatively organized system
to deliver letters within the continent where MK resides (and perhaps
overseas). It would have birds as the deliverers, working pretty much
like the homing pigeons used in the real world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wik=
i/Mail#Other_systems).

Now, there are a few things to have in mind. First of all, it will
obviously not work like the postal service of nowadays (Where one
specifies an exact destination address), but having birds with two
specific known points to travel to and from. For example, only big
cities would have "Post offices", and from there the letters would get
delivered by ground as usual to either that city or the surrounding
lands.

There is also the possibility to manipulate said birds with magic, in
order to make them fly to a certain place normally unknown to them, but
it will most likely prove to be hard to maintain in the long run
(Although it could be reserved for critical situations).

Also, pointed by Misha on IRC, the bird-morphs in the keep could be the
perfect messengers for specific destination letters, as long as said
destination is friendly towards them :P.

Michael Bard also pointed something important. Storywise, the slowness
of the normal delivery by horse or coach in some cases is better, and I
mostly agree with him on that.

Now, if this ends up being implemented, it should be done in a
progressive way, having tests and the like before setting things up. I
really don't think that resorting to retcons will be the best idea,
first of all due to incongruities with past stories, and because it is
a rather big change in the way letters are sent to simply make all
this  appear from thin air.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions on this. And if any of you studied
in the MIT, we could really use your knowledge on system design for
this idea :P

Greets.

Pontos

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!5=
50F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008