[Mkguild] Life Expectancy in MK universe

JL Badgley tatsushu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 20:03:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Pontos <daemonpontos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a doubt about this subject. Knowing that MK is a medieval based
> setting, what is the life expectancy for the inhabitants of the world?.
> Around the 9th century, reaching fifty was something unusual as far as i
> know, so how does that translates into the MK universe?. There are
> differences like the existence of magic though (which can in a way replace
> modern medicine, the reason why now we can live more than eighty years).
> Characters like George, who are supposed to be on their fifties, don't seem
> to be in a bad physical shape (morphs or not).
>
> There is also the thing with the AR, who don't actually age. Theoretically
> that would be the closest thing to immortality (unless someone comes and cut
> their heads off :P), but since it was stated that they will die when they
> are supposed to, that means that things like "fate" are proven and/or
> accepted in MK, right?. (in a world with prophecies it's not too hard to
> believe).
> Just that.

Charles Matthias or someone went ahead and mentioned this--that ARs do
die of old age, but there are no apparent symptoms.  In my mind this
means that ARs are more likely to reach their natural lifespan, but
they won't see it coming, either.  It also links lifespan as much with
something spiritual inside a person as it does with the physical
body--that's my fantasy world take on it.

We've also seen that the Curse can have slight rejuvenating effects.
Bishop Visnah (sp?) became much younger in body, and that has,
perhaps, happened with others.

Some things to keep in mind:  In the 14th century, Hugh Spencer the
Elder was hanged at 99 years old.  Why?  Because he was quite actively
helping his son, Hugh Spencer the Younger, in their plotting to take
power in England (or so were the claims of Edward the III and his
supporters).  In the 8th century the Japanese court gave out rewards
to people who had lived to 80 and 100 years old, indicating that there
likely were a few people known to be in those age brackets.

Also remember that when we talk about age, average lifespan is tricky.
 If one child lives to 5 and a man lives to 81, the average lifespan
of the two is only 43.  You need to make sure any numbers you are
looking at take into account the number of people who died young.

Not sure that definitively answers anything, but perhaps it gives more
to think about.  I do agree that with magic, etc. you have a source
for possible longevity that *our* ancestors didn't really have.

-Tatsushu