[Mkguild] Life Expectancy in MK universe

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Sep 11 21:58:58 EDT 2008

> > I have a doubt about this subject. Knowing that MK is a medieval based
> > setting, what is the life expectancy for the inhabitants of the world?.
> > Around the 9th century, reaching fifty was something unusual as far as i
> > know, so how does that translates into the MK universe?. There are
> > differences like the existence of magic though (which can in a way replace
> > modern medicine, the reason why now we can live more than eighty years).
> > Characters like George, who are supposed to be on their fifties, don't seem
> > to be in a bad physical shape (morphs or not).
> >
> > There is also the thing with the AR, who don't actually age. Theoretically
> > that would be the closest thing to immortality (unless someone
> comes and cut
> > their heads off :P), but since it was stated that they will die when they
> > are supposed to, that means that things like "fate" are proven and/or
> > accepted in MK, right?. (in a world with prophecies it's not too hard to
> > believe).
> > Just that.
>
>Charles Matthias or someone went ahead and mentioned this--that ARs do
>die of old age, but there are no apparent symptoms.  In my mind this
>means that ARs are more likely to reach their natural lifespan, but
>they won't see it coming, either.  It also links lifespan as much with
>something spiritual inside a person as it does with the physical
>body--that's my fantasy world take on it.

This is true.  There was a discussion a number of years ago about how
the ARs age, since there is no apparent reason for them to
die.  Raven pointed out that the free radicals would still accumulate
in their system which would lead to cell death.  So in essence, at
some point in their "old age" the body would just start breaking
down.  Death would come swiftly to an AR after a number of
years.  But in general, they will have longer lives than animal
morphs who have beastly biologies to contend with.

On that note, I tihnk George is really about to get past his prime
given his age.

>We've also seen that the Curse can have slight rejuvenating effects.
>Bishop Visnah (sp?) became much younger in body, and that has,
>perhaps, happened with others.

Yes, I did that deliberately with Vinsah because I needed to do so
for his story.  I have never done that with anybody else.  Mixing
curses should be done VERY sparingly.

>Also remember that when we talk about age, average lifespan is tricky.
>  If one child lives to 5 and a man lives to 81, the average lifespan
>of the two is only 43.  You need to make sure any numbers you are
>looking at take into account the number of people who died young.

I think this is good to remember.  The average life span should be
longer because of magic.  That can help spare us the spectre of too
many early deaths.  That said, I did have three of the Urseil
children die before the age of two specifically because that was
common in those days (in the Harvest Festival Story).

I expect that on average people who don't die from sickness as a
child or from the sword in battle would live into their fifties and
sixties before disease and sickness begin claiming their lives.  But
that's just my guess.  What do other people think?