[Mkguild] Life Expectancy in MK universe

Michael Bard bard.michael at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:36:49 EDT 2008

As I recall from my university days ~30 years ago, modern life expectancy is
a combination of better diet, and better health care.  Also, the average
goes up from medieval averages due to far better child survival.  I can't
recall hearing anything about the body being "worn out".  In fact, as I
recall, medieval peasants were generally healthier because of the extra
exercise.  Not to mention that they actually worked LESS hours a week than
people do now.  (And before the Black Death had more holidays than we do)

The big unknown is magical health care.  If it's as good as "modern" care,
then life spans would be roughly the same, possibily longer due to a
healthier population base.  If not, then pick an appropriate number.
Hell...  just casting "Purify Food and Water" (or equiv) would bring it to
near modern equivalents.  The only problem left in that case would be
plagues.

So, what is magical medicare like?  I see three basic possibilities.

1. Effectively none.  Cope.
2. Available in limited numbers for critical immediate life threatening
injuries.  The "Cure Light/Serious/Critical" wounds stage.  Wouldn't affect
lifespan significantly, but would make armies a whole lot more efficient.
3. Unversally affordable.  This means that Joe Peasant Farmer with a fever
could be taken into Metamor by his wife, make a churchly donation, and be
cured.  Of course, if it's more expensive, then only the rich, or political
vital, people would have the benefit (i.e. Duke Thomas would be cured,
Farmer Joe would live or die by his own means).  This would make things
similar to modern medicine, with similar lifespans, though lack of good
food/nutrition could lower the average.

Michael Bard