[Mkguild] The Harvest Festival (20/20)

Hallan Mirayas hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:56:13 EDT 2008

-------

 =

   In a damp cellar,
two friends sat and reminisced. Outside, though, it was still quite dark, a=
nd
most of the revellers had taken to bed. Through a small grated window the
scrape-scrape of a broom could be heard as some industrious soul worked to
clean up the exuberance of the weekend.

 =

   "And now, my
feline friend, as I did promise thee=85" Rose carefully selected a cask from
the wall behind her and began to unbung the small wooden barrel. It was onl=
y,
perhaps, a gallon or two, but she handled it with almost a sacred reverence.
The sweet sound of liquid sloshing inside gave way to a hoppy, alcoholic ar=
oma.

 =

   Gil closed his eyes
as he took a deep sniff, nostrils flared wide. "Is that really=85"

 =

   "Tis,"
Rose laughed, taking out two pint-sized flagons. "I have requested it
special of a good acquaintance in Avonne." She poured the dark amber
liquid and handed it to her leonine companion.

 =

   "Eli's mercy!"
Gil exclaimed, after he had taken a gulp. "Tis=85 Tis.."

 =

  "Iago's Elixir," confirmed Rose. "From
Kemp's Bells. They hath sent it straight on, and I have endeavored to maint=
ain
it properly. And as for my promise to thee?"

 =

   "I am well
satisfied and thus well paid."

 =

  "And did we not
both see and hear as much as any may expect?" Rose asked, refilling Gil's
mug and then her own.

 =

  "Aye, though
the sight and sound hold little to the doing. =

I did, however, happen to hear-"

 =

   "Soft,"
Rose said putting a finger to her lips, "Let's not ruin fine, good ale
with the telling of a dreary tale, but as our old traditions bid, we shall
relate with a round of Bard!"

 =

   Gil looked abashed,
and he fidgeted, looking into his drink, "Nay, prithee, 'tis been too
long=97I have no longer the head for it I once did."

 =

   "Thou speak'st
false!" Rose declared in an imperious tone, "I have heard thee upon
the parapets, though perhaps thou thought'st thyself alone. I shall hear no=
ne
of it, but begin anon, knowing thou wilt follow:

 =

   "Now our day
is at an end,

   Feelings hurt, good beer shall mend

   So drink with me and I with thee,

   Shall share collected memory."

 =

   Gil looked around
and thought for a moment:

 =

   "Thus in
alcoholic daze,

   Let us turn our bleary gaze,

   On these days past, of fun and feast,

   By high and low- By most and least!"

 =

   "I told thee
thou couldst!" And with that, they began to alternate verses in the old
rhyming game of their youth:

 =

   "Rabbit,
painted head to feet.

   Rhinos, Bears- or Bagels- beat.

   Dear Dimalya danced and hummed

   Whilst Dimba's djembe, dragon drummed,"

 =

   "Weaving
flames in circles bold,

   Snow produced a ring of gold.

   Whilst, too, great cat with circle
bright,

   Fell beneath Velena's might."

 =

   "Upon the
field of Taurian brawn,

   Was seen the light of Chivalry's dawn,

   And two more, of courage true,

   By vulpine's paw were welcomed, too."

 =

   "Tripping
steps on dressed stone,

   The galliard, as it is known,

   Did follow on pavanne and bransles

   Inside the Keep's mercurial halls."

 =

   "When night
had come and day had fled-

   Heaven lit, blue, green and red-

   A transitory tapestry

   Of weaver's thaumaturgy."

 =

   "Our labours
now come to an end,

   Let none trouble to offend

   But break the bread and merry be,

   And may good Harvest come to thee."

 =

   "And may good
Harvest to thee." Both sat there for a moment in silence.

 =

   Finally, Gil rose
to his feet, "I thank you for this, thou hast made my night."

 =

   "'Li gi' god'den,"
Rose replied with a traditional Avonney salutation, rising herself. There w=
as a
brief moment of awkwardness, but then she added, "and I shall see thee
upon the morrow." With that, Rose carefully poured a last round and then
bunged up the cask once more, replacing it reverently upon the cellar shelf=
 as
Gil carefully climbed the stairs back up to the main house.

 =

   As Rose took up the
lantern and checked the cellar one last time before ascending the stairs
herself, she could still hear the echo of that last refrain:

 =

   "Our labours
now come to an end,

   Let none trouble to offend

   But break the bread and merry be,

   And may good Harvest come to thee."

 =

Fin

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Liv=
e.