[Mkguild] Life Expectancy in MK universe

Kit stormkit10 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:56:07 EDT 2008

Well originally my including Olsen's story was because those arguing for the
other side kept bringing it up and I wanted to point out that it was a very
bad argument. Furthermore the fact that, as you say, those two were NOT
experts and would be more likely to describe what they see than apply the
term of 'old age' to a young child. That said, I think basing our arguments
off of this brief appearance of death in one story is really stupid if all
we have to base our arguments is casual wording.

Now to address your first point. You are perfectly correct that they would
not be able to identify individual causes of death and just associate it
with old age. However, they would not be able to recognize these things as
being killed the same way since they don't associate these things with such
young looking and acting people. They wouldn't recognize a kid dying of a
heart attack or stroke as having died from the same thing that killed the
old guy down the street. To most people it would look like the old guy
finally succumbed to his weakness whereas the kid would appear to just
abruptly drop dead. They don't have the advantage of knowing both people
were killed by the same thing. Now this point is kind of vague and we can
argue over it quite a bit more, but since it's relating to what people
perceive as old age and how this affects the argument through Olsen's story,
I say we leave it behind with the other arguments based off that scene. The
debate is more about what should happen to ARs when they eventually die, not
what happened to the AR that DID die because, as we've already found, the
evidence from that scene is inconclusive.

Which brings me to your second argument. Yes, these things can still build
up, but if we allow for heart attacks and stroke, than we also need to allow
for poor eyesight, rheumatism, and all sorts of things that happen to old
folk. If we go by this argument, then the ARs do in fact age while never
hitting puberty. I think it is quite clear from established canon stories
that this does not in fact happen, leading to either a mysterious death
which can only be caused by the curse itself or having all of this aging
compressed into the AR's final day of life. So while you bring up several
interesting points, in the end we are right back where we started from.

Kit

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Stephen Tigner <stephen.tigner at gmail.com>w=
rote: