[Mkguild] The Curse

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Sep 19 15:53:28 EDT 2008

>I think we need some hard and fast rules on what exactly the Curse
>is and what it does to people.
>I can understand where Matt is coming from on his suggestion about
>Ecclesia priests, and I really have no opinion either way.  But it
>seems that, at some point or another, *everyone* wants to be the
>exception to how the Curse has "traditionally" worked.  Whether it's
>divine protection against TG, getting hit with two curses, or
>somehow manipulating it more toward their own favor, the central
>"problem" in the MK world is getting fudged and pushed around more
>than it seems like it should.
>
>I'm not trying to call anyone out on this or anything.  I've also
>read what rules there are that govern the Curse, but it's clear
>those rules need to be updated and expanded, or things are going to
>start to unravel.  If Eli gives protection to certain individuals,
>then those situations should be clearly spelled out.  If there are
>ways of getting cursed twice, then they should be spelled out.  On
>the other hand, it might be best to stick with simpler scenarios
>from here on out.  I don't know.
>
>In any case, I think it would be best for us all if most of these
>questions were answered beforehand, that way we can avoid huge
>arguments and anyone getting upset.
>
>Of course, making the rules should be an exercise in diplomacy and
>self-control.  ;o)

Indeed!

Sadly, I didn't get to this topic as quickly as I'd hoped, and before
long I'm going to have to leave on my trip.

Let me state a few things though while I have the time.

The Curse is, along with the fantasy atmosphere, "THE HOOK" for the
Metamor Keep setting.  Without the Curse, nobody would write in
Metamor Keep.  It's a fulcrum point that determines the fates of
characters and storylines.  It can irrevocably alter lives and
fortunes.  It can make people rethink their place in life.  In short,
the Curse is essential.

What is the Curse not?  The Curse is not a wish-fulfillment
device.  The Curse is not partial to one type of change.  The Curse
is not forgiving.  The Curse is not reversible.  The Curse is not avoidable.

But, what elements of the Curse are debatable?  Let us first list the
elements of the Curse.  The Curse --- and when I say the Curse, I am
refering to the original curse cast by Nasoj and his allies, and the
counter curse cast by Posti and the Keep mages, and what together
they have formed --- causes one of three types of change to occur to
anybody living in the Metamor Valley for more than a certain period
of time.  This transformation is random, thus there should, in the
Valley, be a roughly even distribution of those who have been made as
children, those whose genders have switched, and those who have been
blended with a beastly body.  The actual change can take anywhere
from minutes to a full month (as in the case of Michael the beaver),
though the average is on the order of a day or two.  Once the change
begins, it cannot be stopped.  Those cursed can never return to their
former selves.

These are the involate parts of the Curse.  So what isn't
inviolate?  There have been already many instances of people
manipulating the curse to attain their favored form which Shazer has
already pointed out.  This implies some leeway in the application of
the curse.  He also raises a point about whether the prolifigation of
Curse manipulation is a good idea and whether or not it can lead to
the downfall of Metamor Keep as a setting.  I don't have the time to
debate that issue right now, but I thought I'd raise it.  Another
point is the original one that I've raised, that is what sort of
divine intervention can come into play to insulate certain groups
from certain effects of the Curse.  This has not been delineated
specifically, though given the two examples of Ecclesia priests who
have been cursed, it is clear that there is no divine protection
against the AR or TF curse.  One could similarly ask what
intervention do the Lothanasi give since both Lothanasi priestesses
are animal morphs.  But as far as the stories go, there aren't enough
data points yet to reach a final conclusion based solely on precedent.

The task we have now is to determine what sort of restrictions and
caveats we want to place on the Curse that accommodates what has been
written to date, and also, what people would like to do with the
Curse in the future, as well as what is best for Metamor Keep as a setting.

Okay, that went from a few things to the beginnings of a
philosophical discussion on the Curse!

I'll be back Sunday so I can hopefully flesh out my thoughts on these
questions.