[Mkguild] MK Story - Three of a Kind part 1

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 10 22:00:48 EDT 2009

This Metamor Keep story is a sequel of sorts to the my story Plain & Simple.

   Enjoy!

   Chris O'Kane
   The Lurking Fox

****************

Three of a Kind Part 1
By Christian O'Kane and Stealth

Set in Summer 707

   It was raining lightly as the small troop of soldiers and knights made
their way up the road. The stones underneath them were relatively new and in
good shape making the going easy. Here and there were stones whose lighter
coloring told of recently having been placed there, replacing older ones
damaged or destroyed over the winter and spring.

   The column of over a hundred soldiers and knights moved along the road at
a good pace but not so fast that they would just stumble into an ambush. An
all too frequent occurrence here.  Thankfully the trees and underbrush that
usually grew close to roads like this had been cut way back leaving few
places for ambushers to hide. Riding at the head of the column was a tall,
thin cheetah morph dressed in full armor. Behind him some of his troops rode
horses. The rest walking along behind as all infantry did.

   Moving along this road was hardly new to these troops. They had patrolled
along this road and countless others like it in the valley since their
arrival. This time though things were different. This was not just a simple
out and back to Metamor Keep type patrol. Instead they were headed to the
fortress to stay for a month.

   The woods around the road gave way to the low rolling hills covered with
fields of corn and wheat. It was still several months till the crops were
ready for harvesting but already they were taller then a man and made the
perfect cover for an ambush. A fact well known to all of them.

   It was several hours before the group caught its first glimpse of the
fortress. Peeking over the top of a distant hill was the upper parts of a
stone tower. The massive, square building had the flag of the Duke flying
from the top. The banner proudly flapping in the wind.

   As they moved down the road they passed farmers of all sorts out working.
Some were tending the crops, others were herding some sheep and cattle.
Still others were cleaning ditches. But in spite of all their differences
Edmund Delacot noticed one common factor; all were carrying weapons of some
sort. The young girl tending a flock of sheep had a sling tucked into her
belt. The boy pulling weeds from around corn stalks had a bow and quiver on
his back. And as the small column approached the people would  all stop and
look at the new arrivals as their hands went to whatever weapon they were
carrying.

   They wound their way around a bend in the road and finally the castle
came into full view. A tall curtain wall painted a bright white encircled
the entire fortress. Slightly taller towers anchored the four corners. In
the middle of the south and each walls massive, squat gatehouses rested.

   It's official name was Hareford but most people simply called it Outpost.
The fortress had seen many changes over its long lifetime of many centuries
but it's current incarnation was less then seven years old.

   Standing between them and the bridge over the moat was a woman dressed in
armor and carrying a long spear whose tip was of bronze. Her blonde hair was
cut short, close to her head. She bowed low. "Welcome to Hareford Sir
Edmund! I am pleased to have you here."

   The cheetah morph climbed down from his horse and bowed to the woman.
"Thank you! I am Sir Edmund Delacot and my people and I are pleased to be
here. We are here for our thirty days of service here as garrison."

   "My name is Marcia Caruslo, Castellan for Lord Sentilus," the woman
explained. "I will show you to your quarters and brief you on your assigned
tasks."

   "Sir Sentilus is not here?" Edmund asked. "I wish to meet with him to
discuss matters."

   She shook her head. "No sir. He is busy with other matters but he has
placed his full trust in me. We can discuss this matter together now."

   "All right," Edmund answered slowly. He had just been insulted by the
absent nobleman but he refused to show any anger. "But not till after I see
my horses stabled and my people into their quarters."

   The woman smiled and bowed. "This way please."

*******************

   The hooves of their horses clattered loudly on the wooden boards as they
made their way across the bridge over the deep, wide ditch that surrounded
the castle. Marcia was in the lead, flanked on one side by Edmund and the
other by Terrant.

   Edmund noticed that the moat was deep, wide and clear of any form of
vegetation except for grass that was kept clipped close to the ground.

   They passed through the dark gatehouse and into the bright sunshine on
the far side. Behind them was the gatehouse and the curtain wall. They found
themselves walking along a cobblestone street. Two and three story, brick,
stone and half timbered buildings lined the street, crowding close together
and towering over the soldiers. People were bustling about running errands,
shopping or playing. They passed a woman who was sweeping the street in
front of a small store. The sweet smell of fresh bread filled the air
explaining that they were passing a bakery.

   Space inside a town is always tight. No more so then one surrounded by a
curtain wall and a ditch. Up ahead someone in search of a larger home had
carried the three story building across the street on an arch turning the
street into a tunnel. As they entered the short tunnel a little girl smiled
down at them and waved. Edmund returned the wave cheerfully.

   "A good sized town," Edmund said. "How many people live here?"

   "Three hundred and forty eight people at the present time but that
doubles in times of trouble when the outlying people come in," Marcia
answered.

   "How often is there trouble?" Terrant asked.

   "Depends on your definition of the word," Marcia countered. "We have
individual or small groups stealing whatever they can all the time. But
those never fight and are mostly a nuisance. True raiding parties have been
rare this year. Only three over the last four months."

   "The losses from the Yule attack have hurt them bad," Terrant commented.

   The paladin nodded in agreement. "That and the collapse of Nasoj's
control has kept them too busy fighting each other to bother us."

   "Yes!" Marcia said cheerfully. "And we are all grateful for the reprieve.
Before the Yule attack we were getting two or three raiding parties a week!"

   "Still I'll want to push out two mounted patrols during the day and
another two foot patrols. At night we'll put out two listening posts and one
foot patrol," Edmund ordered Terrant. "I'll take one mounted patrol and you
will command the other."

   "You haven't even see the ground and already you are sending out
patrols," Marcia exclaimed.

   "I did come up here last month to get the feel of the land when I found
out we were coming here." Edmund explained. "But that was a brief visit and
I do want to get a better idea of the lay of the land today before
nightfall. That is another reason why I wanted to meet with Sir Sentilus and
find out more about the area."

   "No worries sir Delacot. I know this area well and I'll take both of you
on a tour personally," Marcia said.

   The paladin nodded. "We must have the foot patrols and the listening
posts out tonight," Edmund ordered.

   Terrant nodded. "Agreed. They are bound to strike tonight."

   "Why?" Marcia asked.

   Edmund was sure she knew the answer already and that he was being tested.
"The troops are rotated every thirty days and have been for years," Edmund
answered. "The Lutins must know that. They must expect us to take a day or
two to get into position and get the lay of the land. If we move tonight we
are sure to catch them off guard."

   Marcia smiled. "You seem more skilled and aggressive then most of the
nobles who come here."

   "If you do nothing then evil can get a foot hold," the paladin intoned.
"And I am too much the professional to let my guard down."

   The castellan nodded. "Good!" she said obviously pleased. "Most of those
who come here are intelligent, skilled and eager to help defend this place.
But some are . . ." the woman's voice trailed off.

   "Fools?" Terrant suggested.

   "Interested in doing as little as possible and going home as quickly as
possible," Edmund stated calmly.

   "All too true," Marcia commented sadly. "And our own people are forced to
take up the slack as best we can."

   "All armies are stuck with such wastrels," the paladin intoned. "but you
will find none such with me!"

   Suddenly the houses ended and gave way to open ground. In front of them
loomed another curtain wall and behind that standing far taller was a square
keep. The massive stone tower was at least a hundred feet taller. They
turned left and paralleled the wall for a few minutes till they came to a
gatehouse. Standing guard at the open gate was for soldiers. All were
dressed in expensive plate mail armor and carried long spears with wickedly
sharp metal tips.

   They made their way past the guards and through the gatehouse slowly. The
hooves of their horse made a loud echo as the clattering noise echoed off
the stonework around them. The massive stone structure was a powerful
fortification in it's own right. Capable of withstanding sustained direct
assaults on it. The passage they were moving through was often called the
death passage as it was meant to kill any enemies who entered it. The
paladin felt uneasy passing through this place all too aware of the people
above them ready to rain death down from hidden slits and ports in the
ceiling above and the walls to either side.

   On the other side was a courtyard paved with the same grayish stone and
the curtain walls. In one corner was the massive tower keep. Across from it
was a three story tall manor house with it's walls plastered a bright white.
The rest of the buildings that lined the courtyard consisted of a small
storehouse, a kitchen, and a large building that was a stable on the ground
floor and a barracks on the upper floor. Tucked into a corner was a small
dovecote. The wooden building was home to scores of pigeons who would
eventually find their way onto the dinner table. Their waste was a rich
fertilizer and was carefully collected for a many uses.

   Edmund and Terrant inspected their new quarters carefully while their
soldiers remained in the courtyard outside. The stables were clean and dry
and had plenty of room for the horse. The food was nice and fresh as was the
hay. Up a flight of steps was the barracks; a large, open room filled with
beds and with fireplaces on either end. A half dozen wooden tables and
chairs lined the center of the room. There were two small rooms located on
either side. Edmund would sleep in one and Terry and Bridgette the other.

   "Nice, clean and dry," Terrant commented as she looked over the barracks.

   "Latrine and mess hall?" Edmund asked.

   "The latrine is downstairs in the back of the stables," Marcia answered.
"For your meals you'll send three people to collect them from the kitchen at
dawn, noon and dusk."

   "What of special meals?" Terry asked. "Some of our people can no longer
eat normal, human meals."

 The castellan nodded. "That is to be expected.  You'll need to speak with
Belinda the head cook about exactly what special foods you need. Since the
change she has become very good at preparing all manner of unusual foods. If
the needs are very unusual we have a provisioner in town who stocks even the
most unusual of foods."

   Edmund nodded in response. "What of other facilities? Entertainment? Is
there a bath here?"

   "Entertainment?" Marcia asked a little confused.

   The paladin gave a chirp of amusement. "My people need to relax a little.
A tavern, a field where they can play Small Ball."

   "There are plenty of places to play Small Ball but a tavern? I thought as
a paladin you are forbidden to drink alcohol."

   "I am but my soldiers are not. I do not try and impose my ideals and
desires on others," Edmund explained. "But my people do understand the
concept of restraint. You'll have no drunken brawls with them," he said
proudly.

   Marcia smiled nervously. "Ah . . I see." And she fell silent.

   "I have an unusual request," Edmund asked filling the silence. "I have a
female ward coming. Is there entertainment here more civilized then a
tavern?"

   "We do not have all the luxuries of the Keep but we do have a small
library here and there are many who like to entertain guests."

   Edmund chirped in delight. "Good! Bridgette and I do love a good party."

   "I do have a favor to ask of you," the castellan said.

   "What is it?" the cheetah asked. "I'll do what I can."

   "Lord Nestorius and I have been pushing the Duke to permanently assign
more troops here rather then keep rotating people through every month," she
explained.

   "How many are assigned here permanently?" Terrant asked.

   "Forty," the woman answered. "Plus another forty in the town militia."

   "That's barely enough to properly patrol the town walls!" Edmund
exclaimed.

   She nodded in agreement. "I know. That is why people like yourself and
your people come here. The constant rotation of troops works but not very
well. Every thirty days another new group arrives and must settle in and
start patrolling. If Thomas was to assign a mere company of cavalry here
along with a another company of infantry . . "

   "I understand but the Duke has only so many troops," Edmund countered.
"Still you have proven the worth of this place and you do need more troops
here. I can speak with Misha and George. The Duke does respect their
opinions."

   Marcia smiled broadly. "We would be very grateful for that Sir Edmund."

   Edmund waved a hand. "No need. Several of the nobles who have served here
have said similar things. They have also said many good things about you and
your people here."

   "Thank you," Marcia said and smiled.

   "George sends his scouts here doesn't he?" Terrant asked.

   Marcia nodded. "Oh yes. The number varies over time but he always have at
least twenty here."

   "Is Marcus, their leader here?" Terrant asked.

   "No, he's been out on patrol since yesterday. But he is due back sometime
tonight," the castellan explained. "We meet at least once each week to
discuss our strategy for the coming week."

   "Do you meet him more often then that?" Edmund asked.

   Marcia smiled. "I do. He's my brother in law."

   Edmund and Terrant both laughed. "That does help make working together
easier," the paladin joked.

   The paladin walked to a window and leaned out. In the courtyard below his
soldiers waited patiently.

   "All right. Everyone come up and find a bunk and get settled in. There
are two small rooms. Terrant and Bridgette will share the larger and I will
take the other." Edmund ordered.

   The soldiers scattered to their appointed tasks and Edmund turned back
into the room.

   "Why?" Stealth interjected suddenly. The cheetah messenger was seated on
a bench at the far end of the room.

   "Why what?" Edmund asked. Surprised by the interruption.

   Stealth stood up. "Why are Terrant and Bridgette in a room together and
you alone?"

   "Why? Terrant and I are the commander and second in command as such we
rate our own quarters," Edmund explained. "And Bridgette is my guest."

   Terry nodded in agreement. "Rank has it's privilege."

  "No. That's not my question. Why is Bridgette with Terrant and not you?"
Stealth said and pointed to Edmund.

   "Why?" the paladin asked and was silent for a moment. "Terrant and
Bridgette are female. I'm male."

  "That's all?" Stealth asked. "Just because she's a woman and you're a
man?"

   "Yes," the paladin answered. "Is there a problem?"

   "It does sound like an injustice, "You're the same person you were... but
sleep in the other room, you can't sleep in my room because you're a girl."

   "Why? Because that is improper! Men and women do not sleep together
unless they are married."

   Stealth pinched his nose bridge, "Ed, last time I checked a room and a
bed were vastly different things..." He paused for a moment, "No offence but
this is bordering on separatism; why don't you just divide the gendermorphs
from the rest of your men, have them eat at different tables, work in
different groups and different places from one another and be done with it?"

   "Stealth," Edmund said harshly. "Society has certain rules. "MY order has
certain rules and one of them is men and women sleep separately."

   "Society is changing..." Stealth said with a glair. "You know me Ed, I
don't care for rules. I break them." He said with a grin.

   "I know!" Edmund answered. "We ALL know that. I also know that society is
changing. The curse has turned society upside down."

   The feline nodded slowly, "Those women used to be men. Just ask yourself,
what if some strange magic turned me into a she? Then what would you do and
how would you expect me to react?"

   Edmund laughed. "I'd expect you to be just as difficult a rebel as you
are now!"