[Mkguild] Two for the Price of One. Part 2 of 4

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Wed Jun 24 20:44:47 EDT 2009

Two for the Price of One - Part 2

Everyone picked up their packs and with the vixen in the lead moved off
into the woods.  About mid afternoon the wading spell told Rorlyn they
were near their quarry.  Tapping the member before him this was passed
up the line to the commander.  He signaled to Sam and Tricia who
disappeared into the woods before them.  After several minutes they
returned and reported to the goat.  With hand gestures he indicated the
direction for each team.  Kate motioned to the mage to follow her and
they circled around to the west.  As they moved Kate pointed to her nose
and to the lion.  Rorlyn gave her a curious look not understanding what
she might mean.  Stopping for a moment she placed her mouth to his ear
and whispered lowly.

"Tell me when you smell them."

Rorlyn nodded and began to pay more attention to the scents on the wind.
  Shortly he began to pick up the odor, and though not skilled in it, a
general direction.  The female warrior slowed her pace even more and
they crept up to the edge of a small clearing.  Just beyond the brush
they could see a group of about a dozen Lutins moving to the southeast.
  Suddenly Kate dropped low and leaned to the lion.

"We're about to attack," she whispered in his ear again. "If you have
any range spell that could be useful be ready to use it."

The lion mage gave a nod and considered what might be best to use on a
group this size.  Kate nocked an arrow and knelt at the ready.  The
cawing of a crow set her into motion.  Standing up she immediately
released the arrow and nocked a second.  Rorlyn stood and rapidly moved
his fingers as a musician might upon a lute's strings.  He then extended
his hand and said.

"Pyrospherius."

A sphere of red and orange hurtled toward the enemy as they began to
spread out.  As the fist size projectile reached the first Lutin the
mage called out.

"Pandere!"

In an instant the sphere grew to the size of a house and the air filled
with the screams of several of the creatures who had been nearest to it.
  At the same time the rest of the patrol broke its cover and charged
upon the remaining enemy.

Cal's glave pierced a Lutin's back while Dan struck out at another.  One
last arrow from Sam's bow dropped one of the green creatures that was
moving toward the rabbit.  Wade leaped out of cover and cleanly severed
the sword arm of one then finished him off with a dagger to the chest.
Tricia looked more like she was dancing then fighting as she spun about
with her two swords and dispatched a badly burned Lutin who was running
for the woods.

Rorlyn looked around for a possible target.  All of the remaining Lutins
had been burned by his fireball but still had fight in them.  He saw one
lunge toward Dan but the boy warrior took the blow with his buckler and
with a slash of his sword forced his enemy to back away.  Pressing his
attack the lad slammed the small shield into his face and then cut his
legs out from under him.  As the creature fell Maggie delivered the
killing blow with her sword.  Kate had now charged forward with her two
swords drawn and was engaged with a shield bearing Lutin.  The mage
carefully watched for him to turn and launched a projectile at him.  The
small sphere shattered his shield and drove him to the ground.  With one
slash to the head the female warrior finished him off.  Sam had left her
cover and was engaged but the pace of their battle did not allow for the
lion to help her.  The sound of heavy blows next drew Rorlyn's attention
to the other side of the group where Ed and a Lutin using sword and
shield were heavily engaged.  The enemy's shield was badly charred, no
doubt from the mage's fire, and was quickly being reduced to splinters.
  Both Cal and Wade rushed in on Ed's opponent and it was soon over.
The lion glanced back to Sam just in time to see her deliver the killing
blow to her opponent bringing the battle to an end.

Wade looked about making certain there were no more enemy and moving to
the nearest Lutin cleaned his sword on its clothing.  The others
followed and soon all had their weapons sheaved.  Rorlyn listened
closely to his warding spell just to be certain this group was the only
enemy in the area.  Feeling nothing he joined the others as they
assembled in the clearing.

"Very nice," Cal said to the big cat. "I don't think I've ever seen a
fireball quite like that."

"It's not a difficult spell," the young mage replied. "but it does take
a bit of focus to control."

"Considering what it did to those Lutins I'm glad you had it under
control," Maggie said pointing to the three charred husks that lay where
the ball had been centered.

"Search the bodies and see if there's anything that might be useful,"
Wade ordered. "You know the drill."

All but Rorlyn nodded and began searching the bodies.  Kate grabbed him
by the arm and took him to the Lutin she had slain.

"So now we rob them?" he asked, his voice bearing an accusing tone.

"No," she replied sharply. "We're looking for anything that might
indicate what they were sent here for or other useful information."

"Oh," the lion exclaimed in surprise. "I didn't understand it that way."

"Some of our best intelligence about our enemy often comes from what we
find after a battle," the woman explained as she searched a pouch.

"Huzzah!" Tricia cried out.

"What'd you find?" Wade asked moving to her.

"This," she said holding out a piece of parchment.

"Well done," the commander exclaimed his tail wagging happily as he
examined the find.

After the rest had finished their search they gathered around the goat
anxious to see what the cat had found.  As Kate and Rorlyn arrived they
saw Wade carefully examining a map.  Several lines had been drawn on it
with symbols assigned to each one.

"Looks like the other groups and their planned path of travel," Cal said.

"That's what I make of it as well," the commander agreed pointing out
some symbols. "And from the distance I'm guessing these are planned stops."

"Looks about right to me.  ," Dan added. "Those would be where they'd
make camp each day."

"Yes," agreed the goat. "and if it's correct we have a problem."

"What's that?" Kate asked looking down at the map.

"You see this line here," he replied. "This would be the group we just
took out."

"So all we need to do is move west and cut these other groups off," Sam
said pointing to the map. "The only one that would be left is this one
to the east."

"But why are the encampments of the eastern group further apart," Rorlyn
asked.

"That's the problem," Wade told him. "That group is heading for
Mycransburg and appears to be traveling faster.  The city's well
protected but the outlying farms will be easy meat for them.  By the
looks of their route I'd say they're a good day ahead of us."

"That's going to make it hard to catch them," Tricia commented as she
ran her claw lightly down the map. "that is unless we cut across this way."

"Exactly," Wade agreed. "If they stay to this plan they won't turn south
until they near the mountains.  If we keep a good pace and cut the
diagonal we should catch them just to the north of the town."

"What about the other bands?" Rorlyn asked.

"There's no good choice on this one," the hooved leader replied. "Which
ever we attack will let the others through.  But the western groups are
also more likely to encounter other patrols.  I say we go for the
eastern group as it's seems to have a definite target and potential to
do more damage."

"If I know Lord Avery as soon as he's done with any to the east of the
Glen he'll send people in our direction," Maggie answered, her tail
swishing behind her. "So when we're done with this band we'll have
what's left pinched between us."

"Exactly.  We'll also keep an eye out for any of the flyers who come our
way," Wade said. "They can get word to both Lord Avery and to Mycransburg."

"This map shows us something else," Ed commented breaking his silence.
"This is not a number of random groups as the scouts reported.  From
what this map shows they're organized."

"That's another reason I want to get word of this out," Wade told him
folding the map. "We need to make sure the others understand there is
some kind of plan behind all this."

"Right, well we'd best get moving then," Cal suggested shouldering his
pack. "We've a lot of ground to cover before nightfall."

With a nod Wade placed the map in his pouch and soon they were moving to
the south east making as best time as they could.  As night began to
fall Wade called a halt and each member set about preparing a place to
sleep.  Rorlyn had seldom spent a night anywhere other then an inn.
Kate noticed this and aided him in making his area a bit more
comfortable for the night.  When all was ready they took some rations
out of their packs and sat down together.  Wade took the opportunity to
set the watch schedule.

"We'll do a two person watch just to be safe," he began. "I don't want
to take a chance of a Lutin scout stumbling on us."

"We're well outside their planned route," Sam commented. "they shouldn't
come within miles of us.  Besides won't the mage be setting his warding
spell?"

"We don't know they are keeping to their plan," Wade replied. "Even with
Rorlyn's warding spell I want a pair of eyes watching over us.  Remember
no spell is totally fool proof."

"He's right," the lion added. "My spell is very good but someone with
the right magic item or another mage might be able to slip by it."

"Cal and Dan will take the first watch," the goat continued. "Maggie and
Sam will take the second, Ed and Tricia the third and Kate and Rorlyn
the last watch."

"How far do you want me to set the spell for?" the lion mage asked.

"What distance do you usually use?" the goat leader replied.

"In an area like this I'd say about a hundred paces," he told Wade,
trying to sound confident while inwardly unsure of the best distance.
"It'd be difficult for anyone to get an accurate shot off that far out.
  I might be able to set it a bit further but the greater the distance
the more likely the spell is to trip falsely or to fail."

"Make it a hundred then," Wade instructed him. "That should be enough
with our watch."

With that Rorlyn reinforced his spell and all turned in for the night
except the first watch.

Several hours later the lion started awake as someone touched him.  His
feline reflexes and body had him on his feet in a second with claws
unsheathed.  Standing back from him with his staff in hand was Kate.

"I'm glad I decided not to just shake you," she said holding out the
staff. "But you should keep your weapon where someone can't take it from
you."

"Perhaps," he replied taking the staff. "But this is only a last resort
weapon for me."

"That may be true but any weapon is better than none," the female
warrior told him.

"With my lack of skill I really doubt I could do much damage with it."

"When we get back to the Keep I can help you with that," she told him
with a smile. "Let's get in position."

They moved over to where Tricia was still standing and she yielded her
place to them.

"I always envy you feline morphs," Kate said settling into her place.

"Why is that?" Rorlyn asked.

"Listen to her," she told him.

"I don't hear anything," the lion replied.

"Exactly," the woman responded. "You all move so silently, you can see
even in the night, you can hear a mouse move and you're reflexes put
even the fastest human to shame.  You're just about the perfect warrior."

"Perhaps, if you know how to fight," he said returning his sight to his
companion. "I certainly wouldn't consider myself a warrior."

"We can get you there," Kate replied. "Once we're off watch I'll show
you a few moves with that staff, but for now we need to be quiet and get
down to the business at hand."

Over the next two hours the pair stood silently each sweeping the
perimeter for any sign of the enemy.  Occasionally they would move to
different locations as Kate suggested.  As the dawn began to break Kate
awakened Wade and reported an uneventful watch.  She returned to Rorlyn
with their morning rations.

"What's this?" he asked surprised they were not joining the others.

"Breakfast," she answered. "We still need to stand watch while the
others eat.  We'll get relieved in just a little bit."

"But I take it we can talk now," he questioned and took a bite of his meal.

"Yes but keep your eyes and ears open," she told him. "Morning is one of
the critical times for possible attack."

The lion nodded and continued to look about in the growing light.

"I have a question for you," he said as he turned in her direction.
"Yesterday when we talked you told me how each of these people came to
be part of Metamor but you never completed telling me how you came to be
here."

"No, no I didn't," she said in a firm voice. "I didn't think that was
important."

"If you wouldn't mind I'd like to hear the rest of it," Rorlyn said as
gently as his leonine voice would allow. "You said you were once a man."

"Yes, I was," she replied sadly. "It seems very long ago now."

"And that some people abandoned you in the Keep?" the lion asked.

"No, not exactly.  I was brought here by some comrades," she told him as
she scanned the woods. "A little more than a year ago I was wounded in a
battle to the south.  The healers could only do so much and my age was
against me."

"Your age?" the mage questioned looking at the woman who might have been
in her late twenties. "I can't see how that could have been."

"Because the man I was then could have been the grandfather of the woman
you see now," she explained. "I was a fool to have gone out on that
mission but I felt it was my duty.  They needed an officer who had
experience and no others could have been found at that time.  It makes
little difference now.  I was a cripple and was certain to die before
long.  One of the men had heard of how others who had been wounded had
come to Metamor.  Even those with fatal wounds had been cured by the
curse.  I bid them not to do so but they would not allow me to die."

Closing her eyes she shook her head then continued.

"They said that it was only because of my sacrifice that any of them had
survived.  So they carried me off to Metamor and left me in the care of
healer Coe.  Within two weeks I was the young woman you now see.  I
suppose I should not be bitter.  They did save my life."

She stopped and sighed.

"No not save, gave me a second life.  I am starting over again but with
all the knowledge and skill I had from my past life."

"Not a bad exchange," the lion said his ears flicking about in search of
any enemy. "Certainly better then being a child and perhaps one like me."

"I would trade your claws for these," she snapped motioning to her
bosom. "I think of any form the curse bestows this is the cruelest one."

"How so?" Rorlyn asked in surprise.

"Because while you may be driven by your instincts I am constantly
driven by my emotions," she told him, the tension in her voice plainly
evident. "Every moment of every day I fight the urge to bed anything
that even looks like it would satisfy me."

"I remember your mentioning that earlier," he replied recalling her
comment. "Is that part of the curse?"

"Yes, the curse did not simply make us female but changed us into women
with an incredible need for sex.  For those like myself it is always
there," she explained. "It is stronger for some then others, just as
instincts are stronger in some animal morphs.  Perhaps because I was
made younger as well as a woman it has struck me harder.  Regardless the
reason, it is what I must live with and fight against.  If I lose that
fight I become a very different person then you see now.  Kate the whore
is not someone you would like to be around."

For a brief moment her ever vigilant eyes fell.  She sighed and Rorlyn
thought he saw a shiver run over her as she did so.  With a shake of her
head she once again became the focused warrior he had known for the past
day.

"I didn't mean to cause you any pain," the lion told her. "It was just
curiosity on my part."

"No, you had a right to know," she replied. "and it is good for me to
tell others."

With a nod the pair returned to their watch keeping, both remaining
silent until Cal and Dan relieved them.  After they were relieved Kate
took the opportunity to train Rorlyn in some of the basics of fighting
with a staff.  Shortly they were on the march again, making the best
time they could to intercept the enemy.

It was mid afternoon when Cal, who had taken point, called a halt.  Wade
moved to his side and the rabbit pointed skyward.  With a nod the goat
leader moved back to Rorlyn.

"Cal's spotted a flyer," he told him. "Do you have anyway of
communicating over a distance to them?"

"No," the lion said with a shake of his head. "I'm not trained in
telepathy spells."

"Is there any spell you could use that would draw his attention to us?"
Wade asked as Kate joined them.

"Any number of them might draw his attention," the mage said. "But they
might also be visible to the enemy."

"How about using a wick light low over the forest?" Kate suggested. "A
mage did that on another patrol I was on when a flyer was trying to
locate us."

"It would need to be a very bright light," the lion morph told her.
"Even then I'm not sure they would see it if they were not looking for it."

"It might be our only hope," Wade said looking between the trees at the
sky. "If at all possible I want to send a warning to the guard at
Mycransburg."

"Wait, I may have a way," Rorlyn said remembering something of his
species from his research. "How far is the flyer?"

"Two, perhaps three miles by now," the commander answered.

"That should do," the lion replied. "You might want to step back some."

Taking a deep breath Rorlyn leaned his head back and gave out with a
long moaning roar.  The depth and volume of this roar was felt as much
as heard causing a number of the Keepers to fold their ears back.  He
repeated this several times ending in a series of shorter roars that
were almost like pants.

"Has he changed course?" Rorlyn asked Wade.

The goat scanned the sky where the flyer had been seen and nodded.

"Yes, but he's not headed directly for us."

With a nod the lion roared again much the same has he had done before.
The goat commander nodded and said to him.

"That's done it.  He's heading this way."

"Good," the mage said now summoning a wick light and sending it upward.
"This should allow him to know exactly where we are."

The small sphere ascended above the trees and grew to a brilliance that
could not be looked at directly.  Moments later a bird could be clearly
seen moving in their direction.  Rorlyn dimmed the light and slowly drew
it back under the canopy, extinguishing it as the bird circled over
head.  Moments later the flyer dropped within the trees landing on the
ground not far from the group.

"I had no word of any patrols this far east," the starling said not
changing form. "Is there some danger that I am unaware of?"

"Are you from the Keep or from Mycransburg?" Wade asked.

"I've come from Mycransburg," the avian replied. "I routinely patrol
this area when it is my turn to take the watch."

"That's very fortunate," Kate said while Wade drew out the map they had
captured. "There is an enemy drawing close to this area even as we speak."

"We took this map from a Lutin commander just a day back," Wade said
spreading the map on the ground. "We believe them to be following this
path here and are trying to cut them off."

The bird hopped closer to the map and then lowered his bill to the
parchment.

"You are here, and if the enemy is taking the course shown you can
certainly overtake them within the day," the winged scout told them,
then moved his beak along the map. "However I would suggest this more
southerly path that will put you ahead of them and give you a terrain
advantage."

"Can you warn Mycransburg so they will be prepared," Wade asked the bird
Keeper.

"That I can do with ease," he replied, his purple plumage glistening as
he turned to face the goat. "I will also return and scout the area you
have indicated.  I should be able to report to you my findings before
nightfall."

"Excellent," Kate exclaimed. "The more we know about the enemy the
better prepared we will be to meet them."

With a nod the bird spread his wings and shot into the sky.  Wade
returned the map to his pouch and they started off again moving in their
new direction.  Much to their delight the terrain proved to be somewhat
less difficult along their new path.  They continued to move until about
an hour before sunset when the chirping of a bird announced the scout's
return.  Landing in a tree not far from Wade, he gave his report.

"I saw the Lutins about fifteen miles north of the pass," he said. "They
are keeping themselves well concealed but I'd place their number at
about twenty."

"How were they armed?" Wade asked.

"Standard Lutin weapons for the most," the scout continued. "One or two
were certainly larger then average but there were no beasts or anything
else unusual that I could see."

"Were they following the route on the map?" the goat commander inquired.

"Yes," the winged Keeper told him. "You should have plenty of time to
get into position at the pass.  The valley itself is clear but there is
plenty of cover for you to hide in along the edges.  And unless they
want to go through a swamp or thorn bushes it's the only way they can
move south.  The guard at Mycransburg is being mustered but I don't
think they'll have time to join up with you before you engage them."

"Wouldn't we be better to wait for them?" Rorlyn asked.

"Once they're through that pass the terrain will turn to their
advantage," the bird Keeper answered. "We would have the advantage in
numbers but we'd also be likely to lose people.  If you can take them
out or hold them there until we arrive it would be better for us all."

"From what you told us we should be able to take them out at the pass,"
Wade told the scout. "Just make sure the guard gets there as soon as
they can incase we don't get them all."

"I'm sure they'll join up with you before the day is out," he told the
commander, then added. "I must return before it gets dark."

"We never did get your name," Kate said as he prepared to leave.

"Just call me Gil," the starling replied. "I'll be back with the guard
sometime tomorrow.  Good luck with the ambush."

With that he sprung into the air and was soon out of sight.  The patrol
pressed on a bit further before setting up camp.  Just as on the
previous days the watches were set and the night passed without event.
Early the next morning they moved into position at the pass the avian
scout had told them about.  Sam and Kate placed themselves on opposite
sides of the valley so the enemy would be caught in a cross fire of
arrows.  Cal and Dan hid near the mouth of the pass so as to take the
enemy from behind while the rest, Tricia, Ed and Maggie were stationed
at the lower end where they could block the enemy and draw them into the
cross fire of the bows.  Wade and Rorlyn took up positions midway down
the pass.  From there Wade could direct the fight and the mage could
rain his deadly spells on the enemy as they were hemmed in between the
patrol members.

Less then an hour after they were in position Rorlyn tapped Wade on the
shoulder and gestured that the enemy was near.  A bird call from the
goat leader alerted the others.

Shortly the first of the Lutins became visible at the end of the pass.
He was large for one of these green creatures and he was well armored.
He carried an axe and shield as his weapons but the hilt of a large
sword could be seen above his back.  He moved into the pass a short ways
and appeared to smell the air.

Wade looked at Rorlyn and pointed to his nose then to the creature.  The
lion morph looked puzzled but when the goat leader repeated the gesture
ending it with a silent sneeze he shook his head.  He had no spell that
could prevent the Lutin from trying to discover their scent.  After
satisfying himself that it was safe the lone enemy made a cawing signal
and moved deeper into the pass.  He was about half way down when two
others moved into view.  They were about the same size as the first but
carried sword and shield.  As they entered the small valley they moved
opposite each other, nearer to the sloped sides.  These intensely
searched the undergrowth for any signs of danger as they moved forward.

Rorlyn looked at Wade wondering when he'd give the signal to attack but
the goat only moved his eyes up and down the pass watching and waiting.
  As the lead Lutin was about two thirds the way down, four more Lutins
entered the pass in a neat diamond formation.  Suddenly the shrill sound
of a bird could be heard from the upper side of the valley.  The back
most Lutin spun about but kept moving with his comrades, watching behind
them.

Wade chewed nervously as he watched and counted the foe that was now
within the valley.  This was not half the number they had expected and
they were not acting like the typical Lutins at all.  Wade once again
made a series of bird calls and shortly Ed appeared walking nonchalantly
across the mouth of the pass.  The lead Lutin froze and raised his axe
over his head.  Immediately the two that followed him did the same
followed by the four.  Ed turned and seeing the Lutins opened his mouth
as if surprised.  The lead Lutin instantly charged him.

For a moment the Bear looked from side to side as if trying to figure
out where to run but just as the enemy came within range the apparent
indecision was replaced with the stern glare of a battle hardened
veteran.  The warrior's axe swung down low and took both the Lutins legs
as it pivoted the shield out of the way.  As the green creature fell two
other Lutins seemed to appear out of his broken form.  One swung a sword
at the bear while the other moved to his weapon side.  Ed blocked the
sword blow with his own shield and allowed his axe to arc toward the other.

As the pair tried to get the ursine Keeper between them the next closest
group charged on the single combatant.  They were only a few paces away
from the scout when Tricia leaped out of the undergrowth and slashed one
of her swords across the back of his neck.  The wounded creature gave
out a cry as he fell.  But just as with Ed the creature seemed to divide
into two more.  At the same moment that Tricia had engaged the Lutin
Maggie had rushed the other.  This one managed to catch her first blow
with his sword but the vixen followed with a thrust that slid cleanly
between his blade and shield.  The creature let out a scream as it
crumpled into a heap but now two more stood in his place.

Now each of the scouts faced two enemies and the four Lutins from above
where moving to join the fight as well.  Wade tapped Rorlyn on the arm
and pointed at the quartet of enemy trotting down the pass.  The mage
tapped the protective medallion on his chest.  Making several quick
gestures with his hands he stood and thrust forth his paw.

"pyro barrique obstruyre," he called out as several small orange spheres
shot out into the pass.  As each came between the two parties of
combatants it erupted into a column of fire blocking the four Lutins
from joining the others.  A tap on the mage's arm from the goat
commander brought his attention to the upper pass where six more of the
green skinned enemy had appeared.  Rorlyn readied another spell but his
aim was partially blocked by his wall of fire.  He recalled that with
mage sight he could see past it and so focused on the magical threads
that so filled this land.

The world faded in color as a lace like structure overlay the entire
scene.  Much to the leonine mage's surprise he saw not four but a dozen
Lutins behind the columns of flame all moving up the slope toward where
Kate was ready with her bow.  Glancing up at the others he now saw
clearly a tangle of magic threads that encased each group of three
causing them to appear as one.

"It's an illusion spell," Rorlyn told Wade. "For every one you see there
are three."

"Three!" gasped the horned scout leader. "Are you sure?"

"Positive," he replied.

"Archers, Fire." The goat shouted clearly to which arrows began raining
down on those in the middle of the pass.

"Rorlyn, can you disrupt that spell?" the commander asked the mage.

"Perhaps, but I need the others closer to get them all," he replied.

"Stay here," he told the feline. "I'll take care of that."

The goat bounded off keeping to the cover of the brush.  When he was
near the last group that had appeared at the top of the pass he broke
out of the cover and charged down the ravine, his back to the enemy.
The four Lutins at the center of the group began to move down the pass
but the other two drew bows and began to fire at the fleeing goat.  The
left most enemy archer however fell with an arrow to his throat from
Sam's bow.  Standing from her cover she nocked another arrow and fired
again.  As before two others now stood where one had been, loosing
arrows of their own.  The deer leaped to the side, took aim and answered
with her own shaft.  The arrow sank deeply into the leg of one of the
Lutins as the other fired again.  It was then that Cal and Dan entered
into the fray.  The rabbit's glave cleanly severed the head of the
wounded Lutin and Dan gleefully struck out at the other two archers who
tried to draw their swords.

Meanwhile the four were closing on Wade who was in turn coming up behind
the other Lutins.  The leonine mage knew they were now within range but
the goat himself would be harmed if he released his spell on them.

"Wade," he yelled out. "Close your eyes.  When I tell you run to me."

The goat turned and ran toward the mage as he began to gesture.  Seeing
this he dropped to the ground and covered his eyes.  A small glowing
sphere shot out from the feline mage's paw and as it passed behind Wade
expanded into a blinding light.

"Run, now!" he shouted already gesturing for his next spell.

The goat bounded to his feet and sprinted with all his might toward the
magic user.  Suddenly a silver disk he remembered from the incident with
Cal flew over his head.  With one great leap the goat covered the
distance between him and Rorlyn as a crack sounded behind him.
Scrambling to his hooves he looked back toward the enemy and saw better
than a dozen of the green foe lying on the ground.  Nearly the same
number stood in varying states of confusion.

The lion was about to unleash another spell at the survivors when he
felt something impact his back.  Turning about he saw another band of
Lutins coming toward them at a run.  One was nocking another arrow on
the small bow he carried even as he charged the mage.

"Wade, they're behind us," he cried, retargeting his spell.

"Sam, Kate!" Wade yelled as he readied himself for the on rushing foe.
"Cut those others down."

The pair loosed arrows at those still standing as fast as they could
nock them.  Yet as each of the arrows neared their mark they veered off
wildly.  In return one of the enemy unslung a bow and fired at Sam.  She
saw it too late to avoid it completely and it lodged in her upper arm.
The enemy that was still standing had now recovered their senses and
formed up to meet the rabbit and child that was charging down upon them.
  Seeing how badly outnumbered the two would be Kate drew her two swords
and charged down the slope to engage the enemy at close range.

Rorlyn focused on the enemy and let loose another fire spell.

"Pyro barrique secludern," he yelled as more glowing spheres rushed from
his paws.

Some streaked by the enemy erupting into flame behind them while others
did the same to the front and side until there was a complete wall of
fire about them.  A couple charged through the flames, unable to stop in
time.  They fell quickly to the ground, their skin blacken and flaking
off their bodies.

The lion mage turned back to see all but he and Wade were not heavily
engaged with the enemy.  He winced as he saw Ed take a cut to the chest
but in the next moment he also saw the Lutin that had delivered the blow
smashed to the ground by the bear's shield.  Even Sam was engaged, the
broken stub of the arrow she had received still protruding from her arm.

A great blast of wind drew Rorlyn's attention back to the circle of
flame.  His wall of fire had been shattered and while only a handful of
Lutins remained these were rushing at him.  As the mage prepared to send
another spell at them he realized he was panting heavily and his knees
felt weak.  Never had he used this much magic in such a short time and
it was taking its toll on him.  He loosed two small spheres at the
leading enemy knocking each of them off their feet.  As he did this Wade
rushed forward and slashed his sword across the gut of the first he met
while catching the blade of another with his dagger.  Snapping the blade
downward he butted this one sending him sprawling to the ground.

"Rorlyn, be ready with your staff," the goat yelled as two others rushed
pass him headed for the mage.

The lion morph had almost forgotten about his weapon and scrambled to
pick it up.  As the first Lutin came within range he swung it at his
head but the green warrior caught it with his shield and pivoted to the
side.  Rorlyn quickly recovered the weapon and remembered a bit of what
Kate had taught him.  He jerked the weapon downward and swung low for
his enemy's knee.  Owing to the speed and strength of his feline body
this blow succeeded in making contact and dropped the creature to the
ground.  He raised the staff again to finish his opponent when it
exploded into a thousand shards of wood peppering both him and the
nearby Lutins in sharp splinters.  The wounded Lutin dropped to the
ground motionless, a large Remnant of the staff sticking out of his skull.

Looking up Rorlyn let out a gasp as he saw on the hill a human in long
brown and green robes.  The dark skinned man had a hand extended toward
him and instantly he knew he was facing the enemy mage.  Mustering all
his strength he released what he hoped would end this conflict quickly.
  His mage sight had shown him that the enemy had erected a shield about
him but Rorlyn reasoned that this would not protect the human from the
heat of his flames if they were sustained.

"Pyrosphero crematius," the lion roared, extending his hand toward his foe.

The orange red balls shot out and pass the mage then circled around to
form a sphere of flame about him.  The sphere began to shrink inward but
then stopped.  For a moment it pulsed as if it were beating in time with
the enemy's heart.  But with each pulse the color of the sphere began to
change until it became a crystal blue and solid as a rock.  Seconds
later the sphere shattered into shards and fell about the mage.

Immediately the gray bearded man swung his arm out and Rorlyn felt
himself lifted off the ground and flung several feet back.  As he picked
himself up he saw Wade dispatching yet another Lutin leaving only two
between him and the mage.  The mage paid little heed to the goat and
cast another spell into the midst of the other combatants.  Immediately
both the remaining Lutins and Keepers slumped and the sounds of battle
in the pass fell into silence.

The lion felt like someone had shod him in lead as he stood and lowly
pronounced the words that sent a small silver sphere in the older mage's
direction.  He hoped that this mage was unaware of what it truly was.
Just to be sure he expanded the sphere well before he normally would
have shedding its blinding light before the human.

The mage threw his arm to his face as he was bathed in the light but an
instant later he drove his staff hard into the ground causing the very
earth beneath the lion's feet to heave.  Only his feline reflexes kept
him from falling.  The same could not be said for Wade however and
before the goat could stand one of the Lutins slammed his sword heavily
down on the hoofed warrior's head.  The body of the commander fell to
the earth, blood running freely from around his horns.

"No!" screamed Rorlyn as he grabbed a knife from one of the fallen enemy
and hurled it at the goat's slayer.  The lion had never thrown a knife
in his life but his aim, sharpened by years of throwing spells, was
true.  With a gasp the green skinned creature dropped to the ground.
The remaining Lutin charged the leonine mage with sword and shield.
There was no time for him to do anything other then dodge the on coming
attack.

As the sword arced downward the feline reflexes again saved him and
instinctively he sunk his claws into the shield as it passed.  With all
his strength he yanked it downward sending his attacker crashing too the
ground.  From some recess of his mind an instinct told the lion what to
do next.  Leaping on the back of the downed foe he sank his fangs into
his neck.  The taste of blood and the sound of crushing bone snapped the
man turned lion out of his murderous rage.  He bounded to his feet
searching for the mage.

It was the mage however that found him for suddenly his legs ached with
pain and he fell to the ground.  The lion morph struggled to regain his
feet only to have the mage's staff come crashing down on his head.
Instantly his world was filled with pain and darkness, his mind wavering
on the edge of consciousness.  Out of the darkness he heard the dark
skinned man recite some words in an ancient language Rorlyn was not
familiar with.  He was certain it was yet another spell for he felt his
body weaken even as the sound died in his ears.  A firm hand grasped the
feline's shoulder and harshly rolled him to his back.  He was helpless,
blind and barely able to move.

As his vision slowly returned he saw the face of the mage hovering over
him, his green eyes seeming to pierce to the feline's very core.  The
man leaned heavily on his staff and was obviously weak from the battle.
  He wondered if the mage would kill him then and there or would he be
taken captive.  He had some hope in the protection of his medallion but
also doubts.  It had failed to protect him from the blows of the mage's
staff and no weapon he had faced before had been able to harm him when
it had been active.

The elder mage stood and continued peering down at the lion morph who
lay sprawled out on the forest floor.  Rorlyn could barely stay
conscious as both the waves of fatigue and the spell rippled over him.

"You fought a good fight boy," the mage said. "You could have been a
good battle mage if you had listened better to your Master about
marshalling your strength."

The words of praise stung Rorlyn for he did recall his Master telling
him this though not in regard to a battle.  While they had worked some
on magical combat it was the young mage's study of his Master's books
that had equipped him for what he had done this day.

"If you had limited your power a bit more on some of those spells you
might have defeated me," his conqueror continued. "still you have cost
me greatly both of time and of money.  For that you will pay."

He opened the large pouch that hung from his belt and after sorting
through its contents for a moment drew out a small vile.

"I had intended this for another but I currently lack the strength to
take your life by other means without getting near your claws.  You are
far to unpredictable for me to risk that.  Besides for the trouble you
have caused me you have earned this type of an end," he told the lion
who lay helpless before him. "Did your master ever teach you anything
about transformations? Transformare floraus in particular."

The texts the lion had studied to learn his transformation spell made no
mention of this and the lion mage did not even have the strength to
shake his head no.

"It is a most interesting area of study," he said grinning and turning
the vile in his hand. "The spells are most difficult to perfect as you
Keepers prove.  If this were not so all of you would be no more then
mindless creatures running about the woods right now.  Potions however,
ah, they are an interesting exercise. That is, if you get them right, if
not the subject has a most unpleasant end.  I believe I have this one
right as you will soon see."

The mage removed some wire that held the cap in place and placed his
thumb against the stopper.  Then slowly eyeing his victim head to toe he
moved to his feet.

"I'll start here and work to your head.  That way you'll get the maximum
effect."

"Maximum effect?" the lion morph barely whispered.

"Yes, to the casual observer it seems to work quickly while in truth it
works slowly.  Subtly working inward changing the subject into their
final form," he told the young mage with a knowing smirk on his face.
"It will take perhaps a week before you vanish completely into your
surroundings here.  I'd guess you'll still have self awareness for
perhaps half of that."

Rorlyn could feel his strength starting to return but to have any hope
of escaping he needed more time.  He knew he had to keep him talking.

"Vanish?" he asked still in a whisper. "What does it do?"

"I already told you," replied the mage with the expression of a
disappointed teacher on his face. "It is a shame I don't have enough to
finish your friends in the same way.  Considering how they liked to
blend into their surroundings it would be so fitting.  Alas, simply
cutting their throats will have to do."

The mage wet a finger and held it up to the wind.  He then placed the
wind at his back and carefully opened the vile.

"Farewell young mage," he said raising the vile. "May the sun shine
warmly upon you."

Suddenly the elder's entire body jerked backward causing the powder in
the vile to explode upward in a cloud of greenish brown dust.  Rorlyn
mustered all his strength to roll to the side and what he hoped would be
out of the range of the dust cloud.  As he stopped he looked back at the
mage and saw the tip of a glave coming out just below his ribs.  As the
point withdrew the man crumpled to the ground revealing a very bloodied
rabbit holding the weapon.  The elder mage raised himself on an elbow
and extended a hand in Cal's direction until he became aware of the
powder drifting down upon him.

"No!" he cried, clawing with all his strength to escape his own potion
but it was too late.  As one of his hands hit the earth it stuck fast
causing him to shriek in pain.  He tried to stand but only succeeded in
flipping over on his back.

"What's happening to him?" the rabbit warrior asked.

"Don't go anywhere near where that powder landed," Rorlyn ordered. "It's
that potion that's overtaking him."

Cal noted as best he could the area and went down to where Rorlyn lay.
Helping the lion morph up the hill they sat together a short distance
from the mage who was thrashing on the ground and appeared to be turning
green before their eyes.

"So what kind of spell is it?" the lupine asked.

"I'm not sure," the feline answered in a weary voice. "It's not one I've
heard of or seen before.  From what I'm seeing I think it's killing him
though that's not what he said would happen."

"So would I," Cal said looking at the man who jerked about in pain or
some vain attempt to escape. "If it was meant for a Keeper it may work
differently on a human."

"How did you avoid the effect of his spell?" the lion mage inquired
looking at the battle worn rabbit. "I thought you were all unconscious."

"I'm not sure," he replied. "I felt it in my hands and arms but it only
stunned me."

"The lightening," the feline mage gasped. "It affected your glave."

"But how would that have saved me?" the lupine scout asked.

"It makes it a kind of loadstone," the lion morph told him. "That will
cause certain spells to act differently."

"So what you did to me when we started the patrol saved me?" Cal asked,
shock written all over his face.

"So it would seem," Rorlyn answered. "Let's see what we can do for the
others?"

Cal went immediately to Dan who had taken a wound to the head but
appeared to mostly be disabled by the spell.  Rorlyn went to Wade's side
expecting to find the worst.  The goat was bleeding from the head and
shoulder but was still breathing.  Taking the tattered remains of a
Lutin shirt he did what he could to bandage the goat's wounds.

Bringing Wade back down into the pass they began searching the battle
field and found Tricia surrounded by a number of bodies.  The feline had
taken a cut to the arm but otherwise seemed unharmed.  While Cal quickly
bandaged her, Rorlyn warned him that some of the Lutins might not be
dead but simply overcome by the spell.  The rabbit warrior made certain
none of the nearby Lutins would ever wake from their sleep.  As they
rose from their task the lion's eyes fell on the crumpled form of their
woman companion.

"Kate!" he cried out moving as quickly as his body would allow to her side.

Rolling her to her back the feline noted several cuts to her arms and an
exposed area of her lower chest that displayed a large bruise.  Her
breaths were short and labored and her lips were pale.

"Not good," Cal said as he knelt next to the mage noting a mace in the
hand of a dead enemy. "Bandage those wounds and keep an eye on her.
I'll look for the others."

Rorlyn nodded and did what he could to stop the blood flowing from the
cuts on her arms.  A short time later the rabbit returned to his side.

"How are the others?" he inquired.

"Sam took an arrow to the arm but nothing that won't mend," Cal
reported. "Ed's cut up badly but with his bulk I doubt they hit anything
vital.  Maggie's got some cuts to her forearm that will take some time
to heal.  Over all I think we got lucky."

Just then Rorlyn felt his warding spell warn him of someone approaching.

"We have company," he told the rabbit who grabbed his glave and readied
it. "If it's more Lutins I don't know how we can stand."

Knowing how weak he was and remembering his success in the battle Rorlyn
grabbed some knifes from the nearby enemy.

"I'm going down fighting no matter what," the lupine growled searching
the woods. "Can you cast anything to help?"

"One, maybe two at most," the leonine mage answered doubtful of how
useful what he could cast might be. "Stay near me.  My amulet will
protect you as well, at least until I'm dead."

The pair stood back to back near their fallen comrade and searched for
any sign of an enemy approaching.  Their gaze was suddenly diverted to
the sky as the cry of a bird sounded above them.  The avian Keeper they
had met earlier was gliding in their direction.

"I think we're safe," Cal said in relief at the sight of the familiar
form. "I hope what you felt was the guard from Mycransburg."

Moments later his hopes were confirmed as a party of several Keepers
emerged from the woods.  The expressions on their faces showed their
surprise at the carnage lay out before them.  Dozens of Lutins lay on
the ground and the smell of smoke still hung heavy in the air.  A weasel
in scale armor came forward to meet the pair.

"Do you have a healer?" Cal asked before the fellow could speak.

"Yes, do you have other survivors?" he asked looking about for Keepers
among the dead.

"Kate here needs the most help," Rorlyn replied. "The others are alive
but under a spell."

"We've a mage with us that might be able to help with that," the weasel
told them motioning to those still coming into the clearing. "Gil, get
Gina.  I need her here now."

Without a word the bird beat his way back into the sky and toward the south.

"I'm Sean," the weasel said as his companions began to search for the
wounded Keepers. "I'm commander of the guard.  We came as fast as we
could though it appears it wasn't fast enough."

"I'm just glad you're here now," Rorlyn said.

"If there are any more around I don't know how long we could have held
out against them," Cal added.

While they were still speaking a blond bearded man approached them.

"Jesse, can you do anything to free the scouts from whatever spell is on
them?" Sean said to the man.

"Perhaps," he replied staring at the woman on the ground before him. "It
would help if I knew who or what type of spell it was."

"I'm not certain, but I think it was a sleep spell," Rorlyn told him.
"As for the mage he's just over there."

"If that's all it is it may be best to leave it on this one," Jesse said
kneeling near Kate and holding his hand over her. "Is the mage still alive?"

"I don't know," Cal said while looking to the lion. "He got dosed with
some potion he was about to use against our mage here."

"Take me to him," the mage ordered.

Cal and Rorlyn led him to the place where he lay.  What they saw sent a
shiver through the lion mage knowing that it was meant to be his fate.
The mage's skin was green in color and appeared to be wrinkling.  His
hands were sunk deeply into the ground and beginning to deform.

"What type of a potion was it?" the blond mage asked.

"He said something about transformare floraus," the leonine mage
replied. "that's not anything I've heard of before."

The mage's eyebrows rose in surprise and he took a step back from the body.

"That does not surprise me," he told the pair. "it is quite arcane even
for wood mages.  Had I not been engaged with one over the past years I'm
not sure I would know it either.  Have you flushed the area by any chance?"

"We've done nothing other then care for our wounded," Cal said. "Is
there a danger?"

"Perhaps," the bearded man replied watching the fallen mage gasp for
breath. "I prefer to be safe.  We can just keep people away for now and
deal with it later.  Show me where your other companions are."

"This way," Cal said moving toward Wade and Tricia.

Jesse knelt down by them and after a moment of examination closed his
eyes and murmured softly.  As soon as the mage opened his eyes the two
fallen scouts began to stir.  Wade sat up first an immediately grabbed
his head giving a low groan.

"How are you?" Cal asked his commander.

"Thanks to a pair of horns and a thick goat skull, alive," came his
reply as he reached for his shoulder. "But I think this shoulder is
going to need a bit of care."

A low mew came from Tricia as she opened her eyes and placed her paw
upon her bandaged arm.

"By the feel of this a healer's aid wouldn't be amiss for me either,"
she said slowly rising to her feet. "How are the others?"

"With the exception of Kate all are much the same as you," Rorlyn told her.

"Come," the human mage said. "Let us move on to the others so we can
return before nightfall."

Cal set off with the mage while Rorlyn stayed with the other scouts.

"You defeated their mage?" Tricia asked looking about them. "The last
thing I remember before it all when black was your launching those flame
spheres.

"Not exactly," the lion morph replied. "The spell took out the Lutins
near you and the others but then the mage ordered them to attack me.  I
barely had time to defend myself against them before he struck me with
another spell."

"But you're here and the mage," Wade said and stopped, looking about for
the mages body. "What happen to him?"

"He got caught in one of his own spells," the big cat explained. "Cal
was only stunned by his earlier spell and was able to attack him just as
he was about to finish me off."

"He's dead, right?" the goat commander pressed, continuing to search for
their fallen foe. "He didn't get away."

"Neither," Rorlyn replied. "It's easier to show then explain."

He led the pair to where the mage lay upon the ground.  The figure was
now covered with a fine lattice of small green vines making it look as
if he were trapped under a net.  Rorlyn cautioned them not to get too
near as he explained how the mages own potion had done this to him.  As
the young mage looked upon the face of his enemy he was taken back at
the two unblinking eyes that stared out at him from the vine covered
face.  The man's mouth seemed to move in slow motion but not a sound
came forth.  A call from Cal brought them all running back to where Kate
was.

"What's wrong?" Rorlyn asked.

"She's dying," the rabbit said bluntly. "I've heard that breathing
before and she can't last."

The lion stooped down to the woman who had first shown him kindness and
cradled her head in his paws.

"Is there nothing that we can do?" the lion moaned not looking up from
her face.

"Mayhaps," a voice said from behind him. "Let me examine her."

The lion turned to look into the face of a short gopher morph who was
setting a sizable pack on the ground.

"You may continue to hold her," she told him as she examined the wound
on her arm and felt the bruise on her side.

"If there is anything that can be done Gina will know it," Sean said as
he approached Wade. "We have secured the perimeter and have patrols
scouting the area as well.  Once Gina is finished we can begin moving
back to Mycransburg."

"Thank you," replied the goat. "I think we'll have two that will need to
be carried or at least assisted."

"We're not moving anywhere for a while," Gina said lifting her head from
Kate's chest. "Cut the clothing off her chest while I get what I need."

Cal was at the lacing of her armor before the healer could turn away.
Shortly the woman lay bare chested in the lion's arms revealing the true
extent of her injury.  Whatever had struck her had to have been massive.
  The lower part of her ribs seemed to float free and the bruise covered
most of the left side of her torso.  Just below her breast was a small
wound.  The gopher healer turned back to her patient with a cloth in her
paw.  She carefully placed it over the small wound and watched Kate's
chest rise and fall.  Only moments later the female warrior's breathing
seemed even more labored and Gina quickly removed the cloth.  Drawing
out a pair of scissors she quickly cut off one edge of the cloth and
replaced it on the wound.  The newly cut edge seemed to flutter slightly
with each breath the woman took.  Gina waited again and then placed her
ear against each side of her patient's chest.

"Promising," she said to Rorlyn as she turned to treat Ed who had been
brought to her. "Keep an eye on her and let me know if her breathing
changes."

Rorlyn watched his friend's bosom rise and fall and soon noted her
breathing seemed easier.  Glancing over to the healer he saw she had
shaved some of the bear's fur off revealing a particularly nasty wound
across his belly.  Repositioning himself the lion mage continued to
cradle Kate's head and watch her breathing.  Her lips were becoming
pinker though far from their usual full color.

Gina stitched up Ed's wound and placed poultices over it.  She spent the
next couple of hours tending to the other wounded scouts including
plucking a number of wooden splinters from the lion.

"Gina, it's getting late," the weasel commander of the guard said. "When
will they be ready to travel?"

"Soon, though it would be better for both this one and the bear not to
travel," the gopher told him. "But if we must I'd strongly suggest a
litter be used."

"I can walk," huffed the bear who lay near enough to hear the conversation.

"Can walk, yes," the healer replied. "Should is the question.  From the
depth of that wound I'm saying you shouldn't.  Just a bit deeper and
your entrails would be lying on the ground.  No, you will be carried so
as not to still have that happen."

He was about to reply when a scream echoed through the pass.  Several
guards ran in the direction of the cry as did Sean.  From where he sat
Rorlyn could not see what had happen but heard the mage let out a curse
and begin ordering soldiers to do something.

"You are a mage as well," Gina said to the lion. "Perhaps you can aid him."

The feline mage looked down at Kate and sighed.

"She will be cared for," the healer assured him passing a roll of cloth
to lay Kate's head on. "Now go."

The young mage yielded to the healer's command and place his friends
head on the cloth.  He was still far from recovered from his own wounds
and now his leg was aching where the mage had struck him.  As he reached
the scene one of the guards ordered him to stop but the blond mage
counter that order.

"No, him I want here," he said gruffly. "Just have a care where you step."

Using his mage sight Rorlyn scanned the ground between him and where the
human mage stood then carefully made his way to his side.  Before him on
the ground lay an antelope whose feet and left hand were turning green.

"What happen?" the younger mage inquired recognizing the effects of the
potion that had nearly claimed him.

"The young fool found that vile," he explained gesturing to the all too
familiar container. "Then he proceeded to pour out the remains of it on
himself."

"I didn't mean to," the frightened morph cried. "Master Jesse, please
make it stop."

The human mage shook his head and asked.

"Do you have any knowledge of the potion at all?"

"None I fear," the lion morph answered, looking at the victim who was
even now being more consumed by the vegetation. "From what the mage said
as he was about to cast it on me I fear it will completely overtake him
if we can not counter it."

"From what I know of this type of transformation magic I have as much
chance of working a counter spell on it as I would of reversing the
curse itself," the mage sighed. "Do you know what the end result will be?"

The leonine mage looked in the direction of the potion's first victim.
His body was completely covered in a twisted mass of small vines, many
of which were now sprouting shoots and leaves.  He noted that where the
mage's hand had embedded itself into the earth the vines were now
separating slightly but he could see no skin beneath the small opening.

"From what he told me and what I see I would guess that the vine slowly
consumes the victim," the feline replied.

"I'm going to be eaten by a plant?" the antelope morph cried pulling
madly at his hand with no results.

"Eaten, no," the Master Mage answered with as much kindness as he could
manage. "Just as you were once transformed from a man into an animal so
now you are being transformed into a plant."

"No, no!" he cried, his voice trembling with each word. "I don't want to
become a plant.  I'd be stuck here forever.  How could I talk, hear or see?"

"Didn't one of the Keepers at Three Gates get changed into a tree?" one
of the guards asked.

"Yes, Laracin was transformed into a Tamarack tree," Wade answered. "He
can still think and speak to others through telepathy."

"But he only retained his human mind with the aid of the counter curse,"
Master Jesse added as the young Keeper continued to cry and pull on his
arm. "And this is something quite different from the curse."

"I would have to agree," Rorlyn said shaking his head sadly. "While he
was gloating about my fate he did say I would only have self awareness
for a few days as the change took place."

"So what you're saying is that there is nothing we can do to keep Jay
from becoming a plant?" Sean asked.

"I don't want to be a plant," the ruminant screamed as the green color
continued to crawl up his arm and legs. "Make it stop, make it stop!"

"I'll do what I can but I think the best we could hope for is what
happen with Laracin," the blond mage told him. "Rorlyn I'll need your
assistance."

"How long will you need?" the commander asked him as he turned to leave.

"I won't know until I've studied the spell," he answered as he began to
examine the magic of the potion. "From the complexity I'm seeing it will
take several hours."

"Get your people ready to spend the night," the weasel told Wade. "I'll
have our people set a watch."

Meanwhile the two mages studied the lines of magic and considered
options.  Jay had either resolved himself to his fate or the potion was
rendering him unable to respond as he remained silent save for an
occasional sob.  There seemed to be no solution to the problem but they
pressed on.  By the time the sun was low in the sky they had settled on
one possible course of action.  It would not prevent Jay from becoming a
plant but hopefully it would be able to preserve his sentience.  Rorlyn
and Master Jesse determined that waiting until the morning would do no
more harm and a well rested mage might improve the chance of success.
Before going to sleep Rorlyn checked on Kate one last time.

"How is she doing?" the young mage asked the healer who was still at her
side.

"She is resting comfortably," Gina replied looking down at her charge.
"I think the greatest danger is over but it will still be weeks before
she is well again.  How is Jay?"

"I wish I could say the same," the feline mage replied. "We can't save
his body but we're hoping to at least save his mind."

"I'm sure you'll do your best," the healer replied with a bit of a sigh.
"Best get some sleep then."

"Thank you Gina," he replied. "I'll see you in the morning."

End Part 2