[Mkguild] Two for the Price of One. Part 4 of 4

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Mon Jun 29 22:10:33 EDT 2009

Two for the Price of One - Part 4

"Master Rorlyn!" called out a young voice he knew to be the inn keeper's
husband. "Master Rorlyn what's happening?  Are you safe?"

"Screech, rawack, chaw, screech," shouted the transformed merchant/mage
unable to muster any sound near that of a human.

A great cry when up followed by several additional shouts.  Then with a
great roar the door, partially blocked by debris, exploded inward as a
huge man and a large long toothed cat crashed into the room.

"What in the name of Eli?" Jami cried looking at the destruction within
the chamber.

"There," called the saber-toothed cat pointing at the gryphon who was
now on his back against the opposite wall.

"Churr, awk," the gryphon said lowly trying to stay motionless.

All eyes turned to see the creature with one wing spread up the wall and
the other pinned under the remains of the foot board.  His cat half
seemed to have its feet planted mostly on the floor while the eagle half
had its legs drawn tight against its chest.

"Well I'll be," the big cat said looking at the inn keeper. "I can't say
I've ever seen someone get cursed this way before."

"Careful," someone else said from the door. "He might still be in a
feral state."

"Awk," Rorlyn said shaking his head no and hoping someone understood.

"I don't think so," the long toothed feline answered moving nearer to
the gryphon. "Are you hurt?"

Rorlyn wasn't sure but shook his head no just the same.  He looked up at
the cat who, in his lion morph form, would have easily been his equal in
height.

"Sal, be careful," a young lad of some ten years cautioned. "don't get
too close to those claws."

"I think he's got his wits about him again Darion," the cat replied
moving to where the footboard lay on the gryphon's wing. "Let me get
this off you."

The gryph nodded as Sal lifted the wood and looked at the wing.

"Don't move.  I'm going to feel your wing," he said looking at the avian
face. "I just want to make sure you haven't broken anything."

Again Rorlyn nodded and while he felt some pain at Sal's touch it was
certainly not serious.

"It feels sound," the saber-tooth told him. "If you can fold your wings
I think I can help you to your feet."

With a shake of his head Rorlyn drew his new appendages into his body.
His lack of skill with these and the position he was in prevented them
from folding properly.  Slowly the gryph rotated his eagle feet toward
the floor but couldn't get them under him without stepping on the longer
feathers of his wing.

"Hold on," Sal said moving behind the pinned form. "Let me move you away
from the wall so your wing will be able to fold."

Wedging himself between the wall and the gryphon Sal gave a push but
with little results.  Placing his back against the wall he placed his
feet between the gryphon's shoulders and pushed with a groan.  Slowly
Rorlyn slid forward, his wing folding more tightly as he did so.

"You're heavier then you look," the feline commented as he came forward.
"Now, how best to get you on your feet."

Rorlyn gave a series of churrs and planted his forefeet on the floor now
that his wing was out of the way.  Slowly and carefully he got back on
all fours.

"Ah, so you can stand," the big cat commented now looking up at the
gryph who assumed his full height. "and stand tall I might add."

"Who are you?" the bearded inn keeper said now moving over to the gryphon.

"Jami, don't you know who was in this room?" Sal questioned in surprise.

"Yes, Rorlyn, a merchant rented the room," Jami replied stroking his
beard in thought. "But this can't be him.  He was already a lion morph."

"Did he have anyone staying with him," the saber-tooth asked. "Maybe
someone who came to do some business with him?"

"Screech," Rorlyn said lowly, stopping Sal's speculation.

"Did you come to do business with Rorlyn?" Darion asked.

The gryph shook his head no.

"Were you staying with him?" Sal suggested.

With a low churr Rorlyn shook no again.  Then he carefully lifted one
talon and pointed back at himself.

"You're Rorlyn?" Jami asked in surprise. "The curse took you a second time?"

The gryphon nodded affirmatively.

The inn keeper and young lad looked at each other in astonishment.

"It has been known to happen," the long toothed cat commented. "But very
rarely and usually with some strange circumstances."

The huge eagle head moved from side to side again in disagreement.

"I do wish you could talk," Jami said.

"We could send for a mage that knows telepathy," a deer Keeper suggested.

"Maybe we can get one of the dragons to speak to you," Darion said to
the gryph. "That way we can know for certain what's happen."

"Ah, there's my smart husband," the bearded inn keeper quipped with a
smile. "Always the one to find the unusual solution to a problem."

"Unusual, yes," the lad said with a smile of his own. "But wife, you
can't deny that it would work."

"Well to do that we've got to get him out of here," Sal stated and
looked to the door. "That may be easier said then done."

"While you do that I'll see if I can find any of the dragons," Darion
said dashing for the door.

The bearded inn keeper looked between the room's entrance and his
transformed guest.

"Do you think you can get through the door?" he asked.

Rorlyn looked at the opening and then at his body.  His wings lifted in
a slight shrug and he awkwardly moved toward the door.  The crowd that
had gathered quickly moved away as the large creature stumbled more then
walked to the entrance.

Lowering his head he began to move out the door only to get stuck just
before his shoulders.  Taking a step back and drawing his wings as tight
as he could Rorlyn tried again but got no further.

"Hold on just a moment," Sal said slipping by the gryphon. "Would you
trust me to move your wing?"

The gryph cocked his head not sure he understood the question.

"I have friends who are avians," the feline continued. "I know how their
wings fold and work.  I think I can help you to get through but it will
require my moving your wings in a way I don't think you can."

Rorlyn thought for a moment and then gave a nod yes.

"Step up to the door just before your wings would touch," Sal instructed.

The gryph stepped forward to the door frame and stopped.

"Just relax your right wing," the big cat told the gryphon. "I'll guide
it through."

Rorlyn did the best he could to relax his new appendages and Sal took a
firm hold on it.  Gently he unfolded it, guiding first the tip and then
the rest of the limb out the door.

"Now put your side against the door," the Smilodon told the gryphon.

Rorlyn complied and again Sal guided the other wing through.

"Just lean forward some and see if you make it now," the saber-tooth
suggested.

The gryph took a small step so his feet were firm and tried to lean out
the door.  He was nearly out when he felt the frame press firmly against
his ribs.  Letting out a sigh he leaned back.

"Hold it," Sal said noting what happen when Rorlyn sighed. "Try that
again but let out all your breath as you lean."

The gryphon sadly nodded not believing this would do any better.
Exhaling he leaned forward and was nearly out when he hit the frame again.

"No let it all out," Sal said in a commanding voice.

Pushing out the last of the air in his lungs the gryph lunged forward
free of the door and nearly toppled on the feline.

"Good, now move out into the hall and you can refold your wings," Sal
said. "then follow me to the stairs."

Jami cleared those who had gathered out of the way while Rorlyn followed
Sal's instructions as best he could in his unfamiliar quadruped form.
After several near falls he stood at the top of the stairs leading to
the first floor.  He placed his foot on the first step but only about
half of it fit.  Turning it a bit to the side he got three of his four
toes on the step and trembling slowly lowered the other foot.  Turning
that one sideways as well Rorlyn put weight on it.  For a moment he
stood there swaying side to side until he was balanced once again.  He
was about to move the other foot when he realized his head down position
and his senses began to swim.

"Whoa, steady there," Sal said seeing the gryphon start to sway again.
"What's wrong?"

The gryph had no way of letting the feline know what his problem was and
simply stepped back to the top of the stairs.  Sal just stood there for
a moment trying to reason out what had stopped the gryphon's descent.

"Oh right," he finally said. "This is your first time to go down stairs
in quad form.  I still remember my first time as a quad.  It's
unsettling, but trust me you can do this."

The gryphon looked at the long toothed cat with great concern, but again
started down the steps.  Sal stayed close to his side as he put each
foot down.  As Rorlyn put his last hind paw on the steps he froze in
place as doubt filled him.

"Come on," the feline encouraged him. "You can do this.  One foot in
front of the other."

Try as he might the gryphon could not get his body to move forward.
Each limb seemed to want to move a different way.  He scrambled back
onto the upper floor where his front legs splayed out in opposite
directions and he collapsed.

"You almost had it," Sal said. "You'll surely get it this time."

The gryphon shook his head strongly no as he struggled to his feet.  Sal
looked at the stairs and back to the gryphon.

"Right, here's what we can do," he said to the uncertain gryph. "Turn
around and back down the stairs.  That will keep your head up and you
won't be worried by looking down them.  I'll stay behind you and help
guide your feet."

For a long moment Rorlyn considered the suggestion.  He couldn't stay
here forever and yet that was a very long flight of stairs.  With a sigh
he gave a nod of agreement.  Turning slowly about he put his hind paw on
the first step and gently guided the second one into place.  Glancing
back he moved his paw to the next step and continued.

"Great, you're doing much better," the Smilodon told his charge. "I'm
right here with you, just keep going."

Rorlyn did feel much more comfortable with his head higher and even
after he put the second of his fore claws on the steps did not feel so
fearful.  Sal continued to guide him as he placed each paw.  Rorlyn was
two thirds of the way down when one of his fore claws slid off the step.
  Instinctively the gryphon's wings spread out forcing Sal to leap to
the foot of the stairs.  In the confined space the spreading of his
wings did far more harm then good and the gryphon's other fore claw slid
from its step as well.  With a great screech his hind legs folded under
him and he went sliding down the remainder of the stairs, his talons
leaving huge gouges in the steps as he did so.  With a thud the winged
beast came to rest at the bottom of the stairs.

For a moment Rorlyn sat there dazed by his rapid descent but breathed a
sigh of relief that he was at least on the ground floor.  That was until
something moved under him.  Springing to his feet and nearly toppling
over he discovered Sal sprawled out on the floor where he had landed.
For a time the feline laid there rolling his head from side to side.
Rorlyn carefully moved closer unsure what he could do.  Finally the
Smilodon blinked his eyes open and rolled over on his elbow.  Rorlyn
gave a low soft chur of apology as the feline sat up rubbing his head.
Looking up into the avian face he said.

"For someone who's half cat you are certainly not graceful."

Slowly rising to his feet Sal led the gryphon out the front door of the
inn.  This door was a good foot wider then the room door but it was
still tight for the large winged creature.  In no time at all a crowd
from both the inn and the street had gathered about the gryphon.  Jami
told them to keep their distance as the poor fellow had just been
transformed and most understood and stayed clear.  Many began asking
questions that Jami and Sal did their best to answer.  A cry from down
the street drew Jami's attention as he saw her age regressed husband
running toward them.

"Did you find a dragon that can help us?" he asked.

"I found Gornul," the boy said breathing heavily as he slid to a stop.

"I don't think he's going to be of much help here," Sal said.

"No," Darion agreed "He didn't think he could help either, but he's
looking for one of the other dragons to help us."

"I hope he finds one soon," the Smilodon replied looking at the gryph.
"We're not really getting far with this game of questions and answers."

"Can't he just shift to his morph form?" someone from the crowd asked.

"That's not easy for everyone to learn," a goat morph replied. "The poor
fellows having trouble standing let alone shifting."

It was true.  Rorlyn still wobbled like a newly born colt, taking an
occasional quick step to keep from falling.

"Look, one of the dragons," a new voice rang out from the crowd.

As all eyes turned upward a golden spec in the sky was growing ever
larger.  Soon the form of a bronze dragon was clear to all.  It made a
low pass over the assembled Keepers and circled around.

"Make room for him to land," both Jami and Sal called out. "Clear the
crossroad."

The people moved away from where the streets met and the dragon swooped
in low pulling up just to the side of the inn.  As dust scattered in all
directions he landed his large frame gracefully and folded his wings.
Turning to face the gryphon he began to shrink in size until his gaze
could meet the avian's eyes.

"Greetings Saroth," Darion said. "Thank you for coming so fast.  This is
Rorlyn.  For some reason the curse seems to have struck him a second
time and he can no longer speak."

The dragon nodded and looked at the gryphon whose tail was tucked firmly
between his legs.

{Are you well?} the gryphon heard a voice say in his mind.

The gryph replied with a stream of avian sounds and the dragon shook his
head.

{No, think your reply,} the dragon told him telepathically. {I will hear
you that way.}

{I think so,} the transformed lion replied. {I'm sore and ache but I
think I'm uninjured.}

{It is unusual for the curse to strike twice,} the dragon said. {Do you
have any idea why this might have happen?}

Rorlyn hung his head and his long ears fell.

{I have not been cursed twice,} he told the dragon, ashamed of what he
was about to say. {I thought I had found a way of avoiding the curse but
as you can see I was wrong.}

With that Rorlyn explained about his morph spell and how the curse had
taken him the night past.

{Yes I see,} he said. {You were greatly mistaken to believe that the
curse would not take you because of your form.  I'm sure the other mages
will find it interesting how the curse used your attempt to make you
what you are.  Rest at ease, we will help you as you adjust to your new
body.}

{Will I be able to be like them?} the gryphon asked looking at the Keepers.

{You mean to take a more human form?} Saroth replied. {I don't know.
Unless someone goes feral as they change they usually assume a morphic
form in the end.  For some reason that hasn't happen with you.}

{So I'm stuck this way?} the young mage moaned.

{That's difficult to say,} the dragon told him. {Have you tried
picturing yourself in a more human form?}

{No,} Rorlyn answered.

{Try that now,} the dragon counseled. {That is usually all that is
required.}

Rorlyn closed his eyes and pictured himself standing on two legs.  He
thought about having human or near human hands and being far less
massive.  When he opened his eyes he found himself still standing on all
fours and still at eye level with the tall Keeper who stood before him.
  Looking back at his body the wings, fur and feathers were still there.

As he turned his head back he saw his reflection in one of the inn's
windows.  His neck was long like a horse ending in a massive eagle's
head.  His beak was a light orange close to his face changing quickly to
a grey.  It turned darker as it moved farther from his face ending in a
black tip.  A top the dark brown plumage rose a pair of long feathered
ears that pivoted and shifted catching every nearby sound.

{It didn't work,} he sighed as he looked at the dragon.

{It still may in time,} Saroth told him.

{Will I be able to speak again?} the feathered Keeper asked, knowing he
would need this skill to use magic again.

{That I believe you will be able to do,} the dragon said with
confidence. {What I heard when you first spoke makes me think you are as
well equipped as any of our other avian Keepers and many of them have
learned to speak even in full animal form.}

A screech from overhead drew everyone's attention to the sky once again.
  Above the crowd two forms circled as they descended to the street.
The people once again moved back making room for the new flyers to land.
  Rorlyn's eyes opened wide as he saw the two coming nearer.

The first winged figure gracefully glided down between the buildings and
with several beats of her wings gently set down near the inn.  Even
though she was known at the Keep, her appearance always brought cries of
amazement.

Rorlyn, however, blinked in astonishment at what stood before him.  Her
head was that of a falcon with matching wings both colored of gray with
black highlights.  Her hind quarters were the white spotted form of a
snow leopard.  She stood there looking at Rorlyn equally shocked at what
she saw.

While he continued to stare the second gryfin landed near her.  This one
was somewhat larger and different in his coloration.  His avian front
was an eagle, much like Rorlyn's, but black in color save for some
lighter highlights.  The feline back was that of a black panther, its
fur displaying hints of blue mixed in.  As they both gazed at him Rorlyn
felt an intensity about them that he had only felt when his Master was
casting a complex spell.  Without thought he backed up to the side of
the inn, his body low and ears submissively back.

{There is no need to cower,} Saroth said. {This is Kiska and Quickpaw.
They are gryfin who are physically similar in form to you.  I thought
they might be able to help you adjust.}

The new gryphon forced himself to relax and slowly resumed standing
though not without having to dance a bit on his forefeet so as not to
fall.  As he settled down into a steady stance he heard a faint whisper
in his mind something like Saroth's telepathic voice but different in
tone and inflection.  The voice came again and somehow he realized it
was Kiska speaking to him.

{Fear not friend,} Rorlyn finally understood. {We mean you no harm.}

{Do not fight your body,} another, more feminine and airy voice said.
{Allow it to move as it will.  You need simply to guide it.}

{How do I do that?} the transformed lion asked but received no answer.

{They may not be able to hear your thoughts at first,} Saroth said. {I
will relay your answers to them until we are sure they can hear.}

{I can not tell you how to do it,} Kiska answered now understanding his
question. {my transformation shares little similarity with yours, for
me, the knowledge was a part of the new body I received.}

{You were both changed by the curse?} Rorlyn asked still amazed at what
he saw.

{Quickpaw was always a gryfin,} the male explained. {But I was
transformed by the curse but under the guidance of Ethereal magic.}

{Ethereal magic?} the transformed mage gasped. {My Master spoke of it
often.}

{Oh?} Quickpaw said, a tinge of interest being passed with the word. {I
would like to talk to you more about that sometime.  For now it is best
that we see to your needs.}

{I'm not even sure I know what my needs are,} Rorlyn answered again
realizing how foreign his new form was.

Both gryfin chuckled then, in unison, in an eerie way that sent a shiver
up his spine.  At that moment it felt as if they had one voice.

"I'd say the first order of business is to get you a place to stay," Sal
said having heard the conversation that Saroth was broadcasting to those
nearby.

{Yes but I can't go back to my room,} Rorlyn replied looking at the
door. {I can barely get into the inn.}

"There is room in the stable," Jami told him. "It's certainly not a fine
room but for someone your size I think it will be the best we can do
just now."

{Your needs in that body will be far simpler,} Kiska explained as he
looked at Rorlyn and noted the physical similarities and few
differences. {Much of what you needed as a human you will no longer need
as a gryphon.}

Rorlyn took a step closer to the other gryfin only to have his forefeet
become entangled in each other and cause him to crash head first to the
ground before Quickpaw.

{Rorlyn,} her voice said in his head. {Relax your talons, they are not
like the claws on your lion feet, they will not retract.  Allow your
feet to bare your weight.}

He recalled he had done this in his room but here in the dirt of the
street it seemed more difficult.  Slowly he rose before the beautiful
gryfin and followed her advice.  Turning he slowly took a few steps
without stumbling.  As he turned about and began to walk back his tail
struck one of the Keepers who stood nearby.  A chirp that was meant as
an apology came from his beak as he looked at the fellow.  Suddenly the
world twisted as the gryphon plunged to the ground again due to his
having unconsciously balled his hands into fists in frustration at his
ill behaved tail.  A curse, which burst forth as a screech, accompanied
his plunge to the street causing several of the Keepers to scurry away.

{Rorlyn, be at peace with yourself,} Kiska said echoing his mates
counsel. {You are fighting your body and it will always win.}

With a shake of his head the large gryphon got back to his feet.  Trying
desperately to remember what he was told he managed to walk the length
of the inn.  Keeping his tail well down he turned about and started
walking back.  Somehow he managed once again to entangle his talons and
while not falling ended up in a most undignified and amusing tail up
forelegs splayed position.  Kiska moved to one side of him while
Quickpaw stood to his other.

{Stand up and try again,} Quickpaw said, the kindness of a mother
imparted in her tone. {You are thinking too greatly about walking.
Allow your body to move of its own accord.  We will be by you and keep
you from falling.}

Slowly the trio of gryphs walked down the street with Rorlyn
occasionally being propped back up by one or the other gryfin.  After
several circuits of the street the new gryphon was walking without the
aid of the others.

{Well done,} Quickpaw said encouraging the former mage turned beast.
{Now try it on your own.}

As the exercise had gone on for some time now there were only a handful
of people still watching.  This gave Rorlyn much more room to walk and
maneuver down the street.  While slow he succeeded in making a complete
circuit ending before the pair of gryfin and the dragon.  Saroth smiled
and somehow the new gryphon got the feeling his feathered tutors were
doing the same though he could not tell it from their beaks.  Rorlyn did
the best he could to return a smile.  Suddenly a low rumble was heard.
Kiska's beak cracked open and the former lion heard again the unified
voice of the gryfins' laughter.  He realized with embarrassment that the
source of the noise was his stomach.  Looking at her mate Quickpaw gave
the new gryphon a glance then leaped into the air.

{Oh I hope I didn't offend her,} the lion gryphon said.

{No, not at all,} Kiska told him. {She's just going to get us something
to eat.}

{Er, yes,} Rorlyn replied his ears shifting in embarrassment. {I guess I
do need some food.}

While they waited for the gryfin's return Kiska kept working with the
former lion getting him more comfortable with walking.  At one point the
black panther gryfin paused and stretched his flexible body, crouching
low with his forepaws extended.  Drawing back his talons left long
furrows in the dirt of the street.  The former lion knew how relaxing
this could be but dared not attempt it in his new form.  Before a half
hour had passed the falcon gryfin appeared carrying two mountain goats
in her talons.  Setting down gently she laid them before Kiska and Rorlyn.

{I think we can go up the alley to eat,} she said looking to the opening
between the inn and the next building.

Rorlyn cocked his head at her remark uncertain what she meant.

{It is a matter of courtesy,} Kiska explained picking up one of the
goats and following his mate. {For many our manner of eating is
disquieting and so best done in private.}

Rorlyn was puzzled by this statement but followed them down the alley.
Soon they were out of sight of any passersby.  Saroth did follow but
stayed at a distance.

{We do now hear him Saroth,} Kiska said looking at the dragon. {You need
not stay near.}

With a nod the dragon returned to the street.  Quickpaw was the first to
act placing her talons about the animal's body and sinking her sharp
beak into the belly.  She pulled back until the hide parted and then
repeated the process exposing the muscle lying beneath.  Rorlyn stomach
tightened as she pulled free the first piece of meat and tossed it down
her maw.

{You, you eat them raw?} the former mage asked in shock.

{Yes,} Kiska replied. {It is our nature and now yours as well.}

Turning away from the sight of Quickpaw's feeding he saw that Kiska was
doing the same.  The former mage winced as the realization of his animal
nature was made all to clear before his eyes.  He had no hand with which
to even attempt to eat and his body certainly was not meant to daintily
consume meat.  Even in his lion morph form, where he had little need of
chewing his meat or having it cooked, he had eaten in a manner close to
his human self.  But now that had all changed.  Now he was reduced to
eating as any bird of prey would consume a rabbit.

{Come Rorlyn,} Kiska said. {There is plenty here for you as well.}

He looked at the disemboweled body lying before the male gryfin and
slowly stepped toward it.  He saw the female rip yet another large slab
of muscle from her prey and consume it.  Steeling himself against what
he was about to do Rorlyn lowered his beak into the body and cautiously
pulled at a piece of loose meat.  As his beak sank into the flesh he
cringed at what he was doing.  Pulling back the meat tore free and he
stood there for a moment trying to figure out what to do next.  Watching
the other gryfin he saw and copied the motion, casting the meat to the
back of his mouth.  Some built in reflex completed the task and the meat
slid down his throat and into his stomach.  His body rumbled in low
satisfaction while his mind revolted at feeding like a bird of prey.
Trying to resign himself to his fate he again lowered his head for
another piece.

As they continued to eat Kiska showed him how to hold the goat and rip
the meat free without consuming the hide.  When they had completed the
meal little but bone remained.  Quickpaw and Kiska placed these in the
trash and all returned to the street where Darion met them.

"I've instructed the stable hand to clean and put extra straw in the end
stall," he told Rorlyn. "When it's ready I'll show it to you."

{Thank you,} Saroth passed on to the young inn keeper and then added. {I
have to get back to my duties but I'll return later to aid you if needed.}

All three thanked him as he resumed his full dragon form and leaped into
the air heading toward some clouds in the north.

{Why don't we spend some more time walking?} Kiska suggested. {that will
give them plenty of time to prepare a place for you and give you more
practice in moving.}

Rorlyn nodded and they turned down the street.  Soon they came to one of
the main streets that led to the markets.  Turning to the left the trio
made their way through the lower Keep.  Knowing where they were heading
he gave a low churr to get their attention.

{Don't worry,} Quickpaw told him. {We won't walk through the market.  We
have a way of going around it.  While it is more common for us to fly
our 'birds eye view' has been most useful for knowing the streets of the
Keep.}

While this did calm him his concern began to rise as they drew nearer to
the first of the stalls.  True to her word the lead gryfin turned to the
right and away from the crowded market place.  After a couple more turns
they found themselves near the inner gate.

{Would you like to go outside for a little?} Kiska asked moving up
beside the larger male.

Rorlyn gave a nod and the three walked across the killing ground and out
the main gate.  A number of Keepers and travelers stared in amazement at
the trio of rare creatures leaving the Keep.  Turning to the side
Quickpaw sat near the wall and was soon joined by the others.

{Look across the valley and see what is there.} She instructed. {This is
only a small sample of what you will see as a gryfin.}

The lion gryphon complied and gazed at all that lay below him.  His beak
dropped open in surprise at the detail his eyes disclosed.  Even the
smallest of animals were visible to him as they moved about the fields
and every tree and plant stood out in fine detail.

{It's amazing isn't it?} Kiska said as the light wind moved his feathers
about. {I still remember my first time out here after my change.  It
takes your breath away.}

As the wind stiffened a bit Quickpaw sat back on her hind paws and
sprang into the air.  In less than a minute she was soaring high above
the valley in graceful flight.  The new gryphon followed her every move
and wondered how long it would be before he might attempt what she made
look so easy.

{Will you be alright by yourself here for a few minutes?} Kiska asked.
{I would like to spread my wings a little bit.}

Rorlyn nodded and the other gryfin leaped into the air to chase after
his mate.  The pair swooped and climbed over the sky as gracefully as
any bird he remembered seeing.  They crossed the valley, surely out of
sight of human eyes but still within his eagle sight.  There they seemed
to hang on unseen strings, their wings extended lazily climbing as they
twisted and turned in flight.  Unconsciously Rorlyn opened his own wings
mimicking what he was seeing in the distance.  Finally the pair turned
back toward him and began to playfully dart back to the keep.

A sudden stiff wind caught Rorlyn's outstretched wings and he was lifted
off his paws and back toward the wall of the Keep.  His hind legs
flailing about he prepared to strike the stone fortification.  Battle
instinct caused him to tap the medallion hidden within his mane in a
vane hope of saving his life.  Some new instinct awakened and his wings
beat downward only accelerating his backward flight toward the wall.  He
was only a few feet from the base when he was lifted up as if by some
unseen hand, casting him toward the top of the battlements.  His body
spun about just in time to see a deer guard with wide eyes and mouth
agape as he sailed by.  Continuing to spin he found himself facing away
from the Keep.  He felt a strange sensation near the base of his lion
tail, and his hind quarters lifted skyward.  Again he tried moving his
wings only to find himself now diving past the wall and into the valley
below.

"Screech!" he screamed in terror, his eyes wide with fear as he swooped
downward.  Plunging out of control he darted past the place he had been
sitting, his lion tail briefly touching the grass on the slope as he passed.

As he saw the valley floor rushing toward him he threw forward all four
feet to brace for the impact.  However his wings also moved forward and
he shot into the sky.  Now higher then he had ever been before he felt
pressure and movement near his tail causing him to loop backward in his
flight.  Again the unseen appendage flicked and shifted and he suddenly
found his head pointed toward the ground.  With all four legs slashing
at the air he somehow turned over just in time to scrape over the ground
and shoot once more into the sky.  Just as he was counting his blessings
at not crashing a gray mass filled his vision.  Instinctively all four
feet and his wings lashed forward just in time to meet the Keeps wall.

The next thing he remembered was looking up at Kiska and Quickpaw as
well as a dozen or more other Keepers standing around him.

{Lay still,} Kiska told him. {Quickpaw isn't done looking you over.}

Rorlyn didn't move and wasn't even sure he could.  His hind legs ached
and his talons smarted.  Even his beak hurt though he wasn't sure how
that was possible.

{You are lucky,} Quickpaw's voice rang in his head. {You didn't break
anything.  Can you roll over?}

Dutifully the aching gryphon obeyed.  Placing his paws and claws under
him he carefully lifted himself from the ground.  Standing, his body
quivering with pain and fear, he looked up at the wall.  Some ten feet
above the ground he thought he saw some small feathers still clinging to
the course stone.  Near the base of the wall was a patch of bare earth.
  From there a set of gouges ran through mud and torn grass to the place
where he stood.

{Why did you try to fly?} Quickpaw asked, a mix of concern and motherly
reproach in the question.

"Erawk," Rorlyn said lowly followed by several chirps still to stunned
to remember he could speak to them with his mind.

{Flying is dangerous for the uninitiated,} Kiska said. {You need to be
shown how to control yourself before you attempt it.}

The former mage hung his head in embarrassment.

{I believe you have learned that lesson now,} he said as his eyes
twinkled in humor {We will try again in the coming days.  Perhaps
farther away from walls.}

The lion gryph nodded all too aware from his pain the danger involved.

{Let's get you back to the inn and let you rest,} Quickpaw suggested.

Rorlyn gave no argument with this suggestion and slowly began to walk
back to the gate.  It took twice as long to return as it had to go out
owing to the gryphon's battered body.  When they arrived Saroth was
already at the inn as was Sal, Darion and Jami.

{What happen?} Saroth asked looking at the lion gryph. {Word of your
flight is all over the Keep.  Did you hurt yourself?}

{I'm banged and bruised,} he admitted looking up at the dragon. {but I
don't think I broke anything.}

{No, but it will take us a week to preen your feathers back into good
order,} Quickpaw said her eyes brightening in amused disapproval. {Now
tell us why you tried to fly.}

{I didn't,} Rorlyn replied, with Saroth allowing the Keepers to hear. {I
was watching you fly and I just spread my wings following what you were
doing.  The next thing I knew I was in the air.}

As the dragon relayed his story to all gathered Rorlyn explained in
detail everything he could remember.  Quickpaw and Kiska both
interrupted him from time to time asking about wing position and feather
angles that the new gryphon had no way of answering.  At the mention of
movement near his tail Kiska walked to the back of the lion gryph
examining the tail feathers that neither he nor Quickpaw had.

{Can you spread these?} the gryfin asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

Concentrating on these feathers Rorlyn obeyed.  From their resting
position they spread out forming a large fanned tail not so different
from that of an eagle.  The former lion's altered mind somehow now knew
how to twist and flex them much to his own surprise.

As the new winged Keeper completed his story of his impromptu flight the
two gryfin looked concerned while the other keepers all smiled at what
seemed an amusing misadventure.

{You're lucky you didn't hurt yourself worse,} Quickpaw said. {Please be
more careful in the future.}

{We will teach you to fly in time,} Kiska added. {But not on such a
windy day as this.}

"To me it sounds like a very interesting first flight," Sal said as he
leaned against the wall.

{I wouldn't exactly call that a first flight,} Kiska replied.

"Well, at least he walked away from it," commented the Smilodon, a
chuckle in his voice.

"I'm sure after all of that you want to rest," Jami said looking at the
gryphon with his disarrayed feathers. "The stall is ready for you
whenever you want it."

{Yes, please,} Rorlyn said nodding his head.

"Follow me," Darion said stepping in front of the gryph. "I'll show you
to your new home until we can work out something better in the days ahead."

Following the young boy Rorlyn was shown a freshly tended stall covered
with a thick bed of straw.  His first thought was one of revulsion.  He
was being stabled like a horse but then considering the difficulty he
had just getting out of his room he realized there weren't many other
places he could stay.  The other gryfin entered and after examining the
straw looked at Darion.

{This is nice,} Quickpaw commented. {It will make excellent nesting
material.}

{Nesting?} the new gryphon asked with a tilt of his head.

{Yes, you will need to build a proper nest if you are to be comfortable
at night,} the female gryfin explained. {Come we will show you.}

Rorlyn stepped in and watched as the two gryfin reworked the straw.
Some they wove together, some they fluffed while other parts they
kneaded with their claws.  The lion gryph watched all the while trying
to make sense of what they were doing.  Meanwhile Saroth and the others
excused themselves and when about their business.

After a considerable time Quickpaw looked up and said.

{Why don't you try it while we try to get your wings in order?}

Obediently Rorlyn stepped into the stall and into the nest.  Lying down
he found that it was very comfortable for his new form.  Quickpaw moved
to his side and began moving his wing feathers about with her beak.

{Oh you really made a mess of these,} she said stepping back. {Extend
your wing so I can see it better.}

Rorlyn opened his wing allowing the female gryfin to examine it more
thoroughly.  She looked at the underside and seemed to sigh.  Moving in
front of him she stretched out her own wing.

{Follow what I do,} she told him and began moving her wing in various ways.

Rorlyn followed as close as he could with Kiska adding some instructions
on how to flex certain feathers the way his mate was.  Finally she
folded her wings and the lion gryph did the same.  Stepping back to his
side she shook her head.

{This is going to take hours,} she told him.

{I can work with you love,} Kiska offered moving to her side.

{Thank you,} she replied brushing against her mate. {Even with two of us
working we are going to be here very late.}

{Why don't we just stay the night with him,} he suggested. {It might be
better for him to have someone near the first night.}

With a nod Quickpaw moved to Rorlyn's side and once again began to work
her beak through his feathers.  Kiska did the same on his other side.
As Quickpaw had suggested the new gryphon watched them work, trying to
learn the fine art of keeping his feathers in good order.  As they
worked both gryfin plucked out bits of dirt, grass and mud that his fall
and slide had firmly embedded in his feathers.

{What is this?} Kiska asked as he worked on Rorlyn's neck fur.

{What have you found?} Quickpaw said glancing up from her work.

{It's a chain of some kind,} he told his mate.

{That's likely my protection medallion,} the new gryphon answered.

{A medallion of protection?} Kiska questioned.

{Yes, it was given to me by my Master,} he replied. {It protects me from
almost any weapon and a number of spells.}

{I see,} Quickpaw churred in a knowing tone. {That may have saved your
life today.}

{How?} the former lion asked.

{When you struck the wall it protected you,} she said. {By all rights
what you did should have broken your neck.  Gryfin are not frail by any
means but your avian parts can not take the abuse your lion body once
did.  I'd suggest you keep wearing that until you learn to fly properly.}

Rorlyn nodded as the pair resumed their preening of his feathers and fur.

It was late in the night before the pair was satisfied that his wings
were proper again.  Moving to the other side of the stall they took the
remaining straw and worked it into a nest much like his own.  Climbing
into the nest they began preening each other.

While the gryfin worked Rorlyn looked about his new surroundings.
Though there were a number of horses here he smelt no trace of them.  It
was then he realized that he had very little sense of smell at all.
Looking over his great transformed body he shifted slightly and without
thought began to preen his own wing.  He abruptly stopped as he realized
what he was doing.  He wondered if the earlier preening had awoken some
instincts he didn't realize he had.  Resting his head on his crossed
fore claws he forced his body to relax.

His thoughts began to turn to the future.  What would he do now?  How
would he make a living?  Would he ever be able to use magic again?  From
his having dealt with the people of the Keep for many months he knew
they would never turn him out but he did not want endless charity.

Casting a glance at the other gryfin he could see they were already
asleep.  His mind returned to how he would earn his keep in the days
ahead.  He had to find a way to make himself useful and regain his
magical abilities.  As his mind worked on the problem the fatigue of the
day overtook him and he drifted off to sleep.

End