[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXXIV

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Mar 1 14:04:03 EST 2009

Almost done with this story. :-)

A big thanks to Ryx for his help with all the
Whalish scenes.  He originally wrote these a
couple months ago, but in that time the exact
ordering of events changed just enough that I had
to rework his scenes to make them fit.  I hope
the splicing job I did isn't too obvious!

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXXIV

Faith Restored

         “Prince Phil!  Prince Phil, you are
needed, highness!” The voice of a crewman shouted
through the cabin door with muffled
intensity.  Phil, having woken an hour before and
unable to sleep though he firmly kept his eyes
shut against the world, rose to the call of duty
and ran his paws across his face, frowning at the
unpleasant texture of his unwashed fur.  With
precious little water, and no fresh uniforms due
to the sinking of the Burning Spear, he’d been
forced to don what could be found in the remnants
of their fleet.  Malger, while taller, had proven
to be the most close size match and thus Phil
squirmed into an extra set of the archduke’s
flashy raiment.  Rupert, who helped him into the
outfit, was likewise limited in what he could use
for a replacement uniform and so remained in the ragged remnants of his armour.
         “A moment!” He replied toward the
door.  Beneath them the deck lifted with a
brackish wave.  Phil’s ears flopped behind his
head, even as Rupert crossed the cabin and opened
the door.  Beyond stood one of the Whalish
sailors, his face appearing white even beneath
layers of grime. “What is the situation?” Phil
asked, wondering what new devilry could have come
upon them.  The Marzac fleet was broken and its
remnants forced into retreat.  What more could that ill-omened place do?
         “A bright light on the horizon, highness!”
         Phil’s ears lifted. “Light?  Where?”
         “Toward Marzac, highness.  And...” the
crewman swallowed and turned his head to one side
staring across the lamp-lit deck. “Reishel lost contact with the mages.”
         Phil took a deep breath and hopped forward a step. “Take me to him.”
         The crewman led him onto the shadowed
deck.  To the north a faint line of orange limned
the horizon over the Iron King’s bow.  Phil
plucked at the garish satin and silk of his new
wardrobe while he followed the sailor.  Rupert
stalked heavily at his side, the gorilla’s naked
feet making little noise on the freshly scrubbed
deck of the captured Pyralian warship.  To either
side the shadows of Whalish ships, under oar and
sail, spotted the gleaming black waves of the
sea. “Is that the light you speak of?”
         “No,” the sailor replied. “It was bright
and reached into the sky.  Over there.” The
crewman, Chellar Phil remembered, pointed to
nearly the centre of the orange smear.  It was
hard to see, but it looked as if the entire sky
was occluded by smoke.  Another wave smacked the
side of the ship.  The smaller ships surrounding
them bobbed and buckled but held.
         Phil grimaced and turned from side to
side, “Where’s...” he broke off as Reishel, the
chief mage reassigned to the King from the
Singing Bird, came up the stair moving quickly
enough to warrant a blocking shift of the guards
stationed at its head.  The young mage was
breathing heavily and sweating from some
exertion.  Phil stood as tall as he could and
said, “Reishel!  What is happening?”
         “After that flash of light from Marzac
shortly after high hour, a powerful disturbance
rushed past.  All of the mana flows have been
shifted in ways I don’t understand.  My spells
were disrupted, even ones that have been
unchanged for years.  I’ve just finished checking
on them, but they’re all gone.”
         “And your link to the other mages?”
         Reishel shook his head. “Broken.  It
will take some time to reestablish.  But there’s more.  The Pyralians.”
         “What of them?” Phil asked as another wave rocked the ship.
         “They’re demanding parlay.”
         Phil twitched an ear and hopped a step
closer, one paw securing his belt. “Finally
speaking?” The deck pitched with the wave.  They
were growing more frequent. “What have they
said?  Have they asked for anyone in particular?”
         The man cast a glance over his shoulder,
“They’re asking for whomever commands the ship,
your highness.” Reishel turned his head and
jerked his chin toward the forward cabins where
the previous command crew of the King had been
secured. “They have.  The ones down in the lower
hold are asking questions too.  They’ve stopped
all attempts to get out of the hold or breach the lower hull, at any rate.”
         A pair of sentries stood to either side
of the narrow gangway leading to the forward
quarters where the huge ship’s officers and
visiting nobles normally slept.  The quintet of
five cabins had been re-tasked as a makeshift
brig to hold the surviving members of the Iron
King’s Pyralian command staff and a few soldiers
subdued during the securing of the main
deck.  There were a few other night watch
lingering nearby, confused and alarmed by the
signs on the horizon and by the change in the
behaviour of their captives.  As he approached,
Phil saw the Sutthaivasse royal, Malger, emerging
from a nearby companionway leading to the lower
deck crew areas and first tier of oars.  Once
more the man hid under the magical veil of his
illusion amulet.  Spying Phil and his retinue
Malger made his way over, only pausing to steady
himself when another high wave buffeted the ship’s hull.
         Sketching a bow Malger did not smile,
“It’s over, Phil.” He said quietly, so low over
the noise of the boat and sea only Phil’s tall,
acute ears could hear his voice.  Phil blinked at
the enigmatic statement, both ears backing
briefly before resuming their usual upright
poise.  He ignored the sting from his recently
battle-pierced ear. “Marzac may have fallen.”
         Whatever the captive Pyralians had to
say was completely cast from Phil’s thoughts at
the enigmatic mainlander’s statement.  He reached
up a paw to Malger’s arm to draw him closer. “May
have??  How come you to know this?” he hissed
before another swell rocked the Iron
King.  Shouts echoed from the smaller ships
tossed by the waves.  Phil had to be steadied by
Rupert’s gentle hand.  The rabbit nodded his
thanks and then let the fop go before staring in
horror at the churning sea. “Turn us into the
waves!” he shouted.  Like a giant ripple, the
waves rose and crashed time after time from the north.
         As the helmsman and oarsmen set to work,
Phil turned to the mage. “Reishel, reestablish
contact with the other ships.  Especially
Aramaes.  I want to know what the last of the Marzac fleet is doing.”
         Reishel bowed his head. “At once, your
highness.” He turned on his boots and walked toward the ship’s stern.
         “And tell the Pyralians I’ll parlay with
them come the dawn!” Phil shouted at his
back.  He spun to Malger and his ears folded back
an inch. “And you, go back below deck.  Once this
squall is past I will ask you what you mean.”
         Malger’s human visage twisted into a
simple grin.  He inclined sinuously, betraying
his musteline shape. “Of course, your
highness.  I will speak with you again soon.” And
with that he departed for his stateroom.
         Another heavy wave struck the hull, foam
sloshing over the deck as the ship rocked in its
turn.  Phil tensed, claws digging into the hard
wood of the deck, then hopped toward the aft deck
to aid the helmsmen.  On the horizon, the land of
Marzac glowed a burnished bronze.

----------

         “Dost they need anything Dazheen?”
Hanaman asked as he gently laid her against the
lumpy pillow on her bed.  He had led a group of
Magyars who’d stayed up to watch for them into
the place where Cenziga once stood and brought
her and Grastalko back to the wagons.  Dazheen’s
body ached in every corner.  Her ears throbbed
with the stomping of boots and hooves.  The only
thing on her body that did not hurt was her
ruined eyes which felt nothing at all.
         “I dost need rest,” she replied with as
much warmth as her exhaustion allowed.  She heard
several of the men trundling out of the
wagon.  Bryone’s dainty steps backed out of their
way.  She reached for her quilts with one hand,
and Hanaman drew them over her chest to snuggle
at the nap of her neck.  She sighed and her
wrinkled face stretched into a gap-toothed smile. “I thank thee.”
         She heard the men shuffle out, except
for Hanaman who lingered over her side.  Was he
staring at her?  Indecision had never been one of
his faults, so she knew him to be carefully
thinking.  When his momentary pause came to its
end, his voice was muted that Bryone might not
overhear. “The mountain be no more?”
         “Aye,” she replied. “‘Tis gone forever.”
         “And thy cards?”
         “Destroyed.”
         Hanaman took one deep breath and
half-turned where he stood. “I wilt check on thee
in the morning, Dazheen.  Rest well.” His boots
retreated out the wagon and joined the milling of men and Assingh outside.
         Bryone stirred from her place and asked,
“Art there anything thou needest of me?”
         “See that Grastalko art tended, then take thy rest.”
         Dazheen could hear the hopefulness in
her aide’s breath as she wished her a good rest
and departed.  The old seer let her smile fade as
she sought the surcease of pleasant and
well-deserved slumber.  She had not understood
the nature of their enemy, the one that had
thoroughly turned the lives of her fellow Magyars
upside down and killed three of them.  But he was
gone beyond the veil of death now, and that was solace enough.
         Her body trembled and her breath drew
tight.  After the mountain had torn through the
last of her cards, she’d no longer felt them the
way she had since being blinded.  They’d been a
presence in her mind, something tangible that
mocked her.  Their absence had been a surprise,
and then a comfort.  Yet now, she could feel it
again, denuded and weak, but present.
         “Hello, Dazheen,” a quite voice
intoned.  The voice she knew as well.  The man from the cards, the Marquis!
         She trembled beneath her quilt. “Do not
be afraid,” he said, and for the first time, his
voice did not mock or threat.  It was not humble
but neither was it arrogant. “Even if I wished, I
could do you no harm.  I am dead, and soon I will
be taken to what awaits me in recompense for my
deeds in this life.  Because of you, I have hope
that perhaps I will not be judged so harshly as I might deserve.”
         “Why dost thee come to me?” Dazheen
asked, feeling her fear of this man ebb.  Though
she could hear his voice move about her
bedchamber, she could hear the sound of no
footfall.  Was he truly a bavol-engro now?
         “To thank you for not giving up no
matter what I did.  If not for that, we would all
have been destroyed.” His voice moved from near
her head toward her feet.  The Marquis seemed to
be turned away from her. “I wanted to make sure
you knew that your sacrifices were never in vain.”
         Dazheen pursed her lips.  She was no
longer afraid of this spirit.  It lacked the
malice she’d come to expect.  There was, almost,
a measure of kindness to it. “I dost know.  Art thou asking for forgiveness?”
         “I ask for nothing you are not willing
to give.” The Marquis’s voice became even more
remote. “And now I must go.  I am being called
beyond.  Goodbye, Dazheen, my dear friend.” And
with that, the presence left her.  Alone, Dazheen
pondered his words in her heart.  She would miss him.

----------

         As was customary, Kashin prayed by
himself.  He still bore the black tunic,
breeches, and cloak that signalled his mourning
for his master, the late Patriarch
Akabaieth.  Though he was now in the service of
the new Patriarch Geshter, the man he’d freed
from the evil influence of Marzac with the use of
the short ceremonial sword he kept buckled at his
side, he could not yet take up the green of the Yeshuel.
         Before the blessed yew on which their
saviour was slain, Kashin knelt and offered
supplication for the man who he’d sworn to
protect and failed.  His heart assured him that
Akabaieth was with Eli in Paradise, but still he
would pray; and it was prayer as much for his own soul as Akabaieth’s.
         Day was dawning in Yesulam, and soon he
would need to attend the Questioners.  They had
nearly finished their Questioning of the
implicated Bishops and their allies in the
city.  Not a one of them had been corrupted by
Marzac, which meant their cooperation had been
willing and thus far more culpable than
Geshter’s.  The two Bishops most principally
aligned with Jothay, Temasah of Abeaf and Rott of
Marilyth, had already been stricken of their
positions and sent to remote monasteries in
Kitchlande to spend the remainder of their
lives.  They had been assigned a strict regimen
of penance and prayer and both had made vows of
silence.  Rott, as old as he was, might not even
survive the voyage across the world, but Temasah
would have many long years to repent for his crime.
         It brought Kashin no solace.  Vengeance never could.
         He sighed, eyes firmly fixed on the yew,
letting that thought drift away on the repeated
words of prayer.  A strange white light glinted
off the yew and his muscles tightened.  The sword
was in his right hand, his only hand, a moment
later, and he spun onto his feet facing the
newcomer.  The visage was pearly white, glowing
with a soft warmth.  The golden eyes met him with
a grandfatherly regard.  Long pointed ears kept
the white hair from spilling over ancient
cheeks.  Kashin’s jaw dropped.  He had not seen
this creature in nearly a year. “Qan-af-årael!”
         “Kashin of the Yeshuel,” the ancient one
replied with only a slight nod. “Have you
cleansed the Ecclesia of Marzac’s taint?”
         Kashin sucked in his breath and lowered
the sword. “How did you come here, Qan-af-årael?  Why are you glowing?”
         “I have died in battle against the
forces of Marzac.  But my death was not in
vain.  The power in Marzac is no more.  What of the Ecclesia?”
         Kashin sucked in his breath.  Marzac was
defeated?  Then the Patriarch’s killer must have
been defeated too.  He lowered his eyes and
sighed. “I am doing what I can.  The Patriarch is
free, but we still scour the ranks of the priests
to find any more allies of Marzac.”
         Qan-af-årael smiled to him and stepped
closer, his footfall making no sound.  A long arm
draped in white damask reached for his shoulder.
“You have done all that I asked and more.  Know
this and be at peace.  The hand that you lost to
Marzac’s fire, did wield the blade that stayed Marzac’s author.”
         “The hand I lost?” Kashin frowned as he
pondered the riddle.  His eyes widened and he
laughed, a sharp sound that felt unnatural in the
private chapel. “Nemgas!  You knew, didn’t you?  About Cenziga.”
         Qan-af-årael nodded. “I did not fully
understand, but I knew you would be brought
there.  I would have warned you if I could, but
it was not my place to do so.  All the rest was up to you.”
         “But what am I to do now?” Kashin asked
him.  He looked the spectre up and down and
suppressed a shudder. “You are dead and can guide no man anymore.”
         The ancient Åelf’s smile faded, but did
not disappear. “You will do as you have always
done, Kashin.  You will protect that which
matters most.” Qan-af-årael inclined his head
once, and with almost a whisper, said, “I bid you
farewell, Kashin of the Yeshuel.  My time is
past.  This world is now in your hands.”
         And then he was gone.  Kashin stared for
several seconds, running his tongue behind his
teeth as he pondered those words.  Slowly, his
gaze returned to the yew.  A lightness danced in
his heart even though so much weighed it down.
“What matters most.  Amen.” He knelt once, made
the sign of the tree, and left to attend to his duties.

----------

         The orange flame on the horizon faded
within the hour, but the sea churned for another
three before returning to a placid calm.  Phil
battled his body’s call to sleep for the Iron
King’s sake, shouting orders and keeping watch
lest the smaller vessels be dashed against their
hull by the larger swells.  No storm clouds
besmirched the starry sky, but the sea heaved as if in the midst of a tempest.
         When it finally settled, Phil felt
immense relief that no ship had been overwhelmed,
though three of the smaller drom were now
crippled and they spent a half hour moving crews to the sturdier dromonai.
         The source of the squall seemed to be
Marzac, but the exact reason wasn’t
clear.  Reishel had still not been able to
establish his mind link to Aramaes, though the
mages in the nearer vessels were all in
communication again.  The prisoners remained
quiet, and with the sea mimicking them, Phil
decided it was time to return to the Sutt heir
for their promised conversation.  But first to
the senior officer, he said, “Captain of the
watch, have your men prepare the galley board on
the forecastle.  We’ll treat with the Pyralian
captain and whomever he identifies as his first
officer after the observance of dawn.”
         “At once, your highness,” the man
replied, saluting him with practised regimen.
         Phil turned to ask Rupert to bring the
foppish Malger to his cabin when he saw the
archduke climb to the deck and stretch his
limbs.  His eyes regarded the night dark sky
limned by a faint line of blue on the eastern
horizon.  They lowered to the rabbit hopping
toward him and his lips curled into a smile. “I see the squall has passed.”
         Phil nodded and drew up to the marten
disguised as a man. “It has indeed.  But there is
much we still do not know.  Such as how you know
that Marzac may have fallen.” The rabbit’s eyes
spied the dim gleam of a pendant dangling form
Malger’s neck.  The polished crescent seemed to
drink in the light as if all the world were
falling into it. “Does Nocturna tell you these things?”
         Malger did not even glance at the
pendant draped over his neck. “She tells me many
things, and I witness many things, Prince.  But
the how of it is not for the ears of any and
all.  Has the fall of Marzac had any effect on
the tainted?”  With one hand the archduke swept a
gesture toward the dark hallway a few paces
away.  Phil glanced at the short passageway and
chewed his lower lip thoughtfully.
         “I intend to treat with the Pyralian
captain after dawn.”  Phil stretched slightly and
scratched one of his ears, suddenly desperate for
a proper bath.  “Malger, would you join us for
this parlay?  As a Pyralian of royal status you
may have considerable more weight in this discourse than I.”
         Malger sketched a brief bow, “As you
wish, highness.”  He turned to pace Phil along
the deck toward the aft castle.  “Whales and
Pyralia have ever been on amicable terms.  You
think to improve that through parlay?”
         Phil shook his head, “Not through parlay
with a mere ship’s captain, Malger.  If, as you
say, Marzac’s dark touch has been raised from
these men then I will return them to their home without demands.”
         “If not?”
         “Return them to the brig or, if they try
to fight, gift them to the Merai.”  Phil stopped
and glanced aside at Malger.  “I saw Merai
fighting Merai in that battle, but none of their
kind attempted to contact us, nor did they course
our shadow.  They arrived with your fleet.”
         The illusion-masked royal nodded,
“Despite Pyralia’s very official denouncement of
magecraft or any treating with the incorporeal it
seems to be a rather strong cottage industry
throughout the kingdom.  When I learned of your
plight I sought what mages I could
secure.  Having travelled with the young mage
Murikeer, and lived in Metamor, I came to
understand the powerful advantages of
magecraft.”  Malger stroked his chin with his
fingertips, “The response I received was quite
surprising when I openly asked for
practitioners.  One of them claimed to be
descended from a Merai prince.”  He chuckled
drily, “True or not, she did have communication
with the Merai living in the coastal waters, and
no little bit of social status.  She convinced
them to aid us against the Marzac fleet attacking Whales.”
         Phil stopped at the door to his cabin
and glanced eastward to where the sky was
becoming ever more blue.  “Why?” he asked quietly, “Help, I mean?”
         Malger grasped Phil’s shoulder
reassuringly and smiled, “I know you,
Prince.  Not directly, no, but I saw a good bit
of you over the years in Metamor.  You’re a good
man, and Whales will be strong under your
crown.  All I know of Marzac is its notorious
history.  The Merai were having their own
problems, and it was they who convinced me that
some foul taint was why Marzac attacked, so I had
my father’s firebreakers hauled out of their dry
racks and put to sea.  That was three days before we found you embattled.”
         Phil chuffed in surprise and cocked an
ear curiously, “Three days?  By oar, to cross
that expanse of ocean?  And what are these firebreakers?”
         “Our Merai allies had their beasts,
whales and monstrous cuttlefish, tow us.”  Malger
glanced at the shadowed ships pacing them on the
water, “As for the firebreakers, none survived
that battle.  They had a spindle mangonel mounted
amidships.  My father’s shipwrights designed them
to strike devastating blows from beyond the range of your projectors.”
         Phil recalled seeing one of those ships
shortly before it was destroyed by fire.  “My
father always did expect that your sire would
turn his attention westward one day.”
         “My sire always did expect that he would
wear the crown of King, as well.”  Malger grunted
with a shake of his head, “We saw where that folly led him.”
         “Aye.”  Phil touched Malger’s arm and
drew him toward the captain’s cabin.  “Now, this
thing with your patron goddess, I would like to
learn more.”  He led toward the cabin and Malger
followed while Rupert moved to place his
considerable bulk outside the door.  “Such as, do
all faithful receive such clear insight?"
         “No, we do not.  Often times we receive
nothing more than riddles or other nebulous
warnings and omens such as your dream about
waves.” Malger explained as he closed the
door.  Phil crossed to the captains’ desk and sat
in the massive chair.  Malger leaned his hip against the edge of the desk.
         “Yes, my dream of waves.  And then a
wave comes from the clear blue sea travelling
toward a storm rather than away from it but some
voice in my head warns me to turn into it.  What,
by the mysteries of the deep, do you know about
that?” Phil groused, scowling at the garishly
clad royal son.  The man wore deep forest green
silk today, trimmed with lace and decorated with mother-of-pearl.
         Malger chuckled, the light of the
cabin’s single lamp gleaming in his all-too-human
eyes, “I touched your dream, yes, and told you
what the mages in my fleet intended to do.  That
is what I do, one of the things that has kept me
alive when every murderer with a guild coin is
out to stop my heart, it is why Nocturna chose me to be one of her own.”
         “You comport directly with her?” Phil tilted his head dubiously.
         Malger’s gaze dropped to the desk and he
traced a navigational line on one of the charts
fastened down by clips.  “No.” Malger lied, “I am
merely of her faith, owing to my rare ability to
touch the dreams of others if I turn my effort to
it.  That was how I knew you were among your fleets.”
         “I cannot say I find a lot of comfort in
knowing that you can pick through my dreams.”
         “Not easily, Prince, rest assured.  If I
am not already in another’s dreams, a creation of
their own sleeping numen, then it is extremely
difficult to find their dream and harder still to
involve myself in it sufficiently enough to have
any impact.  And then there is the need for you
to be sleeping, and dreaming, for me to even have
a chance to put my effort into communicating with
you.  As with Nocturna, I cannot simply warn you
flatly of impending danger, you would forget it within moments of waking.”
         “Thus that unpleasantly vivid dream?”
         Malger nodded slowly, “And, by narrow
luck, the captain of the Dromon that limped into
the port of Suttaivasse had been in some contact
with you.  An inspection of the ranks you
conducted left a few bits of your fur upon his
uniform.  One of my mages used that, and the
concerted effort of half a dozen others supporting him, to warn you.”
         “Who was that captain?”
         “Devashil was his name.  Currently he
commands the Wrath of Ill Fortune, one of my
longboats.  Our original intention was that he
make contact with you before you engaged the Marzac host.”
         “Interesting name for a warship.” Phil
said ruefully and smiled, “I wish to extend a
commendation to him for bringing message of our
plight to favourable ears.  As well all of your
sailors and mages who aided us.”
         “They’re only escorts, highness, not
intended for the tasks the Whalish Navy has held
as its own demesne these last
decades.  Sutthaivasse has no intentions that
Whales fall in their charge.  Once we make the
Marzac Isles and learn, for once and true, what
has become of that accursed place I will have
them return along the coast to safe harbor.”
         Phil rubbed his jaw and nodded at the
archduke, “That would probably best be wise, as
they’re hardly worthy of weathering any strong
storms.  Only together did we keep as many afloat
as we did during the squall.  Another and we will
lose many more.  But the Marzac Isles have ever
been a place of infractions peoples and safe
harbor for pirates.  Perhaps Whales and
Sutthaivasse can come to an agreement about who
would be better at patrolling the dangerous waters there.”
         Malger moved across to sit upon the
stool he had commandeered for himself, “We’ve a few moments before—”
         The archduke’s thought was interrupted
by the shouting of Reishel outside.  Rupert
opened the door, and the mage gasped for breath
as he crossed the threshold.  It looked as if
he’d just run the full length of the Iron King five times.
         “Reishel!” Phil said in his firmest voice. “What news?”
         “Word form Aramaes, your highness.”
Reishel called when he caught his breath. “We
just reestablished contact.  The fleeing ships
have cut sail and heaved to!  They’re flying white pennants!”
         “When did they raise pennants?” Phil
waved for him to approach.  Crossing quickly to
the table, Reishel knuckled his brow and briefly
dropped to one knee before standing.
         “In the night, Aramaes knows not when,
but he reports there was a powerful disturbance
shortly after the turning of the high hour.  He
saw the same tower of light we did, only he
reports that the land of Marzac was alight with fire.”
         “So we know it came from Marzac,” Phil
mused.  He glanced at Malger briefly but did not
share his sudden thought. “What other news of the Marzac fleet?”
         “The entire host has cast their sea
anchors and cut sail, or shipped oars.  Stoshal’s
line was among them before they realized
it.  None have attacked, and signal surrender at discretion.”
         Phil nodded with a faint smile pulling
at his muzzle, whiskers flicking forward briefly.
“Very well, and thank you, Reishel.  Advise
Aramaes to accept the terms of surrender and
escort the remnants of Marzac northward, putting
in at the nearest suitable harbour.”
         The mage lowered his head to Phil and
departed to attend to his orders.  When the door
shut behind him, Malger smiled in relief. “It
seems that your prisoners are not the only ones
who are having a change of heart.”
         “Let us hope that this truly means the
taint of Marzac has been lifted from them.  Now, what were you saying?”
         Malger leaned in closer and spread his
hands over the table. “Merely that we’ve a few
moments before we need attend the observance of
dawn.  We should not let this time go to
waste.  Let us, Prince, play at the Game of
Thrones and find a treaty favourable for all.”
         “One that will bring us peace for many
years,” Phil replied, glad to know that at long
last Whales had an ally for a neighbour.

----------

         “I’m sorry I had you woken up, but this
is too important,” Duke Thomas said as he stared
at all around the circular table in his council
chambers. “And most of you already know what’s
happened.  At midnight, Kyia appeared to Master
Lidaman and I and told us that those we sent six
months ago have defeated Marzac and broken its
power.  And then she left to defend Metamor from
its power rolling back.  Lothanasa Raven says
that Rickkter has woken, which means the Marquis
is dead.  And from what I’ve heard my daughter
tell me, that power Kyia warned us of has passed
and done very frightening things.  Malisa?”
         Assembled around the table were his
daughter, his Steward Thalberg, his spymaster
Andwyn, Master Lidaman, and his attache
Copernicus.  Malisa folded her hands around a cup
of steaming tea. “All the charms I’ve cast were
destroyed when the magical surge drove through
the Valley.  It headed north faster than our eyes
could follow.  I’ve confirmed with Rois, Pascal,
and Saroth that all of their active spells have
been broken as well.  Everything can be recast
easily enough, but we depend on a great deal of
defensive magic here.  I sent a messenger bird
north to Nestorius instructing him to recast all
of Outpost’s defences.  But the Keep and its
peculiar properties appear to be unharmed.”
         “The old lion is going to be casting
spells for days,” Copernicus pointed out.  The
giant lizard was dressed very warmly and had very
strong coffee simmering in front of him just to
keep him awake. “I’ve seen how much we have at Outpost.”
         “After the reports we’ve had from the
scouts,” Thomas pointed out, “I’m not very
worried about an invasion.  I’m more worried
about an exodus.  Thalberg, please explain.”
         The alligator sat nearest the hearth yet
still huddled into his thick red robes. “Several
of our guests declined to entrust themselves
entirely to our protection.  What guards they
left to the midnight watch all witnessed
themselves being changed by the curse, and then
changing back again.  The curse did not take
anyone, but for a moment they all saw what it
could do to them.  I’ve tried to keep this from
your vassals, but already Lord Calephas of Giftum
has learned, and I fear Baron Pedain of Komley
has as well.  I’ve done what little I can to
appease them, but I’m afraid if I don’t keep my
thumb on them, and even if I do, they’re all
going to flee Metamor before your wedding and set
us back to where we were before the Assault.”
         Thomas nodded, letting the news sink in
before returning his gaze to his adopted
daughter. “Malisa, do you think they are more
vulnerable to the curse now than they were before?”
         Malisa took a quick sip of her tea.
“After meeting with Saroth, I also spoke with
Kurt Schanalein.  He saw himself becoming a boy
and all the nuns change too.  I studied him for a
few minutes, but I couldn’t detect even a hint of the Curse on him.”
         “Round up all the mages who can be
spared.” Thomas said, voice and mind moving
quick.  The news of Marzac’s defeat was joyous,
but this magical wave threatened to undo his
kingdom. “I will pay them extra to spend some
time this morning examining each of my vassals
and their men to make sure of this.”
         “We’ll have to hurry,” Thalberg grunted.
“Not everyone will wait.  It won’t be long before
they all know.  Once one of them leaves, they all will.”
         “Lord Calephas is already instructing
his men to ready his coach,” Andwyn added
quietly. “But he will not be leaving for some time.”
         Copernicus narrowed his yellow eyes. “Why ever not?”
         The bat folded his wings against his
side and sighed with an air of satisfaction. “I
took the liberty of dosing his ale with a mild
laxative once I learned he knew.”
         Thomas turned on the bat. “You poisoned one of my vassals!”
         “Not poisoned.  A laxative will cause
him only mild discomfort for a few hours and keep
him here.  Besides, he has a history of this
malodorous ailment.  He will not suspect us.”
         Thomas glowered at the bat and shook a
hoof-like hand at him. “Don’t ever do that again
unless I give you authorization.”
         Andwyn nodded his head. “As you wish,
your grace.  I will confirm what Thalberg
says.  Only Baron Pedain knows.  He makes a
lovely woman, although the guard who saw what he
became didn’t have to heart to tell him the
truth.  Thankfully, Pedain was asleep at the time.”
         “It won’t stay with just them,” Thalberg pointed out.
         “Yes, we know.  Malisa, can you gather enough mages?”
         She nodded. “In an hour I’ll have enough
to examine all our non-cursed vassals and their retinues.”
         “Good.  Is there anything else we can do
to keep them here,” he glared at the bat, “without medicinal aid?”
         Lidaman pursed his lips and said, “Give them lots of money.”
         “I don’t have lots of money,” Thomas
replied, though a bit irritated because he knew
bribery was probably his safest course of action.
“And I don’t dare threaten them or they’ll break
their vows to me.  Metamor is hated enough as is
without being seen as a beastly band of tyrants.”
         But the youthful financier smiled. “You
do have lots of money, your grace.  In fact, you
have their money.  They pay you taxes every few months.  Forgive them some.”
         Thomas shook his head. “We need that money to pay our troops.”
         “If they leave before your wedding, you
may not ever again have taxes from them,” Lidaman
pointed out. The boy leaned forward and tapped
his fingers into one palm. “A garret in the hand
is better than three in the ledger, but not
thirty.  Besides, you have other things to
consider.  The merchants.  We don’t have many
right now because it is winter.  Those who did
come are mostly from the Valley and already
cursed.  If your vassals flee, many of the merchants will too.”
         “I always thought merchants would go
anywhere they thought they could turn a profit,” Thalberg groused.
         “Not if it means they can’t leave,”
Lidaman pointed out. “I know many foreign
merchants who were trapped here after Three
Gates.  Most moved their families here in the
end, but it was not an easy transition for any of
them.  Your bride’s wedding gown is made from
cloth bought from one such merchant.”
         “Urseil cloth, yes, I know,” Thomas
snorted much like the horse he appeared to be.
“What if money isn’t enough?  You just said that
money wouldn’t be enough to bring merchants here
if they’re afraid of the Curse.”
         Lidaman nodded and folded his hands
together. “Offer the money after you’ve had your
mages examine them and assured them that there is
no danger.  They’ll be set somewhat at ease, and
the money will mollify the rest.”
         “Or,” Andwyn suggested in a quiet voice,
“perhaps not money, but more favourable
agreements?  We could send more of our forces to protect their interests.”
         Thomas drummed his fingers on the table,
long tail flicking back and forth irritably. “I
don’t like either of these suggestions.  But I’m
having trouble thinking of a better one.”
         “You could grant them pride of place at
the wedding and banquet” Copernicus suggested.
“Most of them love being shown honour.”
         “If I displace any of the cursed
vassals, they’ll resent me,” the horse lord
sighed, feeling strangely helpless.  He was
trying to hold water in his hands, and with his
thick hooflike fingers, it was even harder. “I
don’t think any will betray me, but I do not need
to create anymore divisions between my cursed and
uncursed lands.  That will lead to civil war.”
         Malisa counted off her fingers. “We
cannot hold them by force of arms.  We cannot
grant them special honours without creating
resentment here.  We cannot use chicanery to keep
them here.  All we can do is examine them and
assure them that the Curse will not claim them
and offer them a short reprieve on their taxes in
recompense for risk.  Can we even be sure that
the Curse won’t claim them, or that the magical surge won’t happen again?”
         Thomas shrugged. “How would any of us
know?  Only mages can tell us that.  What of
Misha’s sister, Elizabeth?  She’s been of great help to us in the past.”
         “It took her two days to reach us last
time she visited,” Thalberg pointed out, yellow
eyes studying the Duke closely.  The one time
Elizabeth Brightleaf had visited Metamor had been
to free Thomas from the magical halter that had
made him want to be nothing more than a normal
horse.  The holes in his hooves and nails where
she’d shod him were healing but still visible.
“The wedding will be over by then.”
         “Can’t we contact her?”
         Andwyn shook his head. “Only Misha and
Jessica can do that.  Jessica is a thousand
leagues away, and Misha is currently at Glen
Avery.  He’ll return today, but not until midday,
and then he’ll be preparing for his annual party this evening.”
         “If we can send birds to Nestorius, we
can send birds to Misha!” Thomas neighed. “Bring
him here with all possible haste.  In the
meantime, this is what we shall do.  Malisa, as
soon as we finish, gather all the mages you can
and offer your services to our
vassals.  Thalberg, instruct your staff to be
exceedingly courteous to them and make sure they
have no other cause to complain.  Copernicus,
find George and have him station extra guards in
the diplomatic wing to keep fights from breaking
out.  Andwyn, keep your ear to my vassals and
inform Malisa and I if any of them begin readying
to depart.  Master Lidaman, you will stay with
me.  We need to discuss what financial
inducements we can make.  I fear I may ask for your assistance in that regard.”
         “I am at your disposal, your grace,”
Lidaman replied with an honest smile. “What is mine is yours.”
         Thomas took a deep breath and favoured
his advisors and friends with an equine whinny.
“Thank you all.  Together I know we’ll get
through this.  Now, let’s do what we can to stop the bleeding.”
         As one, they nodded, bowed to their
liege, and left to attend to assigned tasks.  It
was going to be a very long morning.

----------

         Sir Czestadt leaned out the window in
his office overlooking the practice fields for
the Driheli in Stuthgansk.  The noonday sun
stayed behind the clouds though still brought a
hearty warmth to the air.  Several knights ran
their horses about the course, but few wore
anything more than the most basic of mail
shirts.  Dust kicked up in their wake, dirty and
brown.  Ostlers and squires were quick to attend to the droppings left behind.
         He’d thought returning home would heal
his wounds.  The Driheli had been nothing but
rapturous to see his return, and all were
gathering for the Yule celebrations, even those
in the lands at the very limit of the Driheli’s
reach.  When not in prayer, Czestadt had watched
the practices from his office and ridden those
fields until his horse tired of it.  He couldn’t
quite bring himself to use his Kankoran-gifted
abilities to control swords, but he had practised with blades in both hands.
         Yet all of it only reminded him of what
he’d lost because of Jothay’s evil blade.  And
ironically, a dead visage of Jothay had given him
the clue he’d needed to understand that and what
he was doing now.  He heard footsteps come to his
door.  With a long sigh the Knight Templar called, “Enter!”
         In stepped Sir Petriz of Vasks.  The man
who’d once been Czestadt’s squire knelt and said,
“You wished to speak with me, Master Templar?”
         “I am not well, Sir Petriz.  I haven’t
been well since I entered Yesulam all those
months ago.” He ran one finger down the pink scar
that began under his right eye. “This is not
cause.  I don’t feel anything here anymore.”
         “What Jothay did?” Petriz asked, eyes
narrowing at his leader’s disquiet. “Does that still hurt?”
         “It’s over.” Czestadt turned to face his
second and sighed. “Jothay visited me this morning.”
         Petriz’s face went white. “But he’s dead!”
         “And he still is.  But now the evil that bound him is also dead.”
         Petriz relaxed, nodded slowly, and
sighed. “Good.  Eli’s will has been done.”
         “But my faith in the Ecclesia is still
wounded, Sir Petriz.  The only ones I know I can
trust are those three Questioners.  For now at
least.  This is a wound that will take a long time to heal.”
         The younger knight put his hand on
Czestadt’s shoulder. “We can see our way through
this together, Master Templar.  But if the others
should hear you speak thus, their faith will be shaken too.”
         Czestadt nodded and rested his hand on
Petriz’s arm. “I know.  That is why I am going to
announce my retirement from the Driheli with the advent of the new year.”
         “No!” Petriz snapped, eyes darkening
with worry. “No, don’t do that!  We need you here.”
         “Sir Petriz, you know it is for the
best.” Czestadt smiled sadly. “Until this wound
heals, I will be a detriment to the Driheli.  Our
enemies will know my weakness and strike.  Many
more will die.  That I will not allow.  As I am
the problem, I will remove myself.  I will seek
to join the Yesbearn that I might protect the Questioners.”
         Petriz swallowed and lowered his eyes.
“And what of the Driheli?  None of us can lead them as you can.”
         “True,” Czestadt said, favouring his
former squire with a warm smile. “But we don’t
need somebody to lead them as I can.  I cannot
lead the Driheli as my predecessor did.  Nor
should my successor be expected to lead them as I
do.  He will lead them as his judgement
directs.  And there is only one amongst my knights whose judgement I trust.”
         “Who is that?” Petriz asked, his voice
quivering slightly as if he were afraid of the answer.
         Czestadt shook his head.  The answer was
obvious to him, but Petriz was ever humble. “In
this troubled and uncertain time, I could only
ever appoint a knight who truly believes and
lives the code of knighthood to which all Driheli
are called.  That knight is you, Sir Petriz.  And
on the new year, I will announce my decision.”
         Petriz lowered his head and his arm
dropped to his side. “Me? But... very well,
Master Templar.  I will trust your judgement in this, as I always have.”
         Czestadt’s smile widened. “And what was
one of the first lessons I taught you?”
         “To look up.” Petriz lifted his eyes,
took a deep breath that stretched the links in
his mail shirt, and then returned the smile. “I
will always remember it.  But what of your squire, Hevsky?”
         “He will be ready to take his place
amongst the knights soon.  I entrust him to your
care to complete his training.”
         Petriz nodded slowly and licked his
lips. “I will not disappoint you, Sir Czestadt.”
         “You never have,” Sir Czestadt grabbed
him by the shoulders and drew him into a tight
embrace. “From the day I first saw you on the
street until now, you have never once
disappointed me, Sir Petriz.  I’ve never known a
finer knight than you.  Would that I could have
been your squire.  Karol and Hevsky and all who
come after them will be blessed to have you as a
teacher.  Now, go be with the others.  I must
attend to a few things and then I shall join you
on the practice field.  I want to race our steeds one last time.”
         Petriz laughed and hugged him back. “I
will look for you.  No matter where you must go,
it will always be a happy day when you come to Stuthgansk.”
         “That will not be my choice, but that is
how I wish it.” They broke apart and Czestadt
bowed to Petriz. “Now go.  I will be with you soon, you who will be Templar.”
         Sir Petriz stood taller, bowed in
return, and departed.  It was done.  And for the
first time in months, Sir Czestadt of Stuthgansk,
the Volka wie Stuth, felt peace in his heart.

----------

         “All scholastic inquests must begin with
a clear understanding of several principles.” The
stolid, measured voice of Kehthaek carried
through the vaulted chamber.  Sitting at writing
desks were three dozen black-robed Questioners,
the red cross on their chests catching the
lamplight. All eyes focussed on the new Grand
Questioner, ears attentive to his words, and pens
furiously writing down his every thought.
         Kehthaek reclined on several pillows, a
sop to his age more than luxury. “These
principles reside in, as the great Eli is three,
three sets of three.  First the virtues, faith,
hope and charity.  Then the faculties, memory,
intellect, and will.  And lastly the methods,
question, arguments, and commentary.  A mastery
of each is necessary for the true fulfilment of
the office of Questioner for which Eli has called you.
         “In brief, we sketch them.  A fuller
treatment will come once you possess a firm grasp
of the basics.  Faith is the belief in things
unseen and the assent to the truth of revealed
knowledge.  Hope is the trust in Eli’s promises
despite adversity in this life, and thus, it is
also an acknowledgement of the divine power to
overcome those adversities.  Charity is the
ability to recognize Yahshua in each person you
meet and to treat them as Eli commanded.”
         Kehthaek smiled as he warmed to his
subject.  For now he stayed with topics that each
Questioner would understand.  But from there he
would build their minds and souls in the proper
comportment for priests of their special
vocation. “Memory is the repository of all
experiential knowledge.  From this well, the
intellect draws forth sensory objects for
scrutiny.  It is from the intellect that we
develop intellectual objects which we shall later
classify under the headings of science or
wisdom.  The Will is that part of our subjective
self that directs the intellect to action.
         “The methods dictate how we are to
fulfill our obligations as Questioners.  We must
first Question that which we are presented with,
making use of our memory and intellect to discern
truth from falsehood.  This method of discernment
we call Arguments, for we should not dismiss what
we have been told until through the means of
reason we can ascertain truth.  And this is
Commentary, the intellectual action of presenting
the reasons for which something is or is not true.”
         Ah, how he wished he’d been allowed to
do this before.  Already he could see lines of
consternation in the eyes of the older
Questioners, and impatience in those of the
younger.  He lowered his face, betraying none of
his pleasure. “Before we begin to delve deeper
into these concepts, let us meditate upon the
virtues as we pray the noon office.”
         And with him, all heads bowed and
tongues chanted in harmonious prayer.

         Though Felsah did not smile, his hand
caressed Rakka.  The dog had once protected
Mizrahek, the previous Grand Questioner who had
already set sail for a monastery in the remote,
high passes of the Darkündlicht mountains.  But
now Rakka stayed with Felsah and adored him with canine eagerness.
         “You see,” Felsah said to the dozen
Questioners sitting in a circle around him and
the dog, “we can never forget that all creatures
are loved by Eli.  Though Rakka here has no
immortal soul to lose, he is still precious in
Eli’s sight.  And Eli gave him and other animals
to us to teach us valuable lessons.  These may be
charity, humility, prudence, responsibility, or
even simple austerity.  Now come, each of you,
touch this gift of Eli, not just with your hands, but with your heart.”
         The twelve gathered around him
neared.  Rakka lifted his ears, eyes widening and
leaned his head forward to sniff at those in
front of him.  Several Questioners drew back
their hands, afraid, but some allowed the dog to
sniff, and then to lick their fingers.  Felsah
nodded and let his hand rest on the dog’s back,
steadying him. “Good, good.  Now, I want each of
you to go into the city this day.  There are many
strays wandering the streets in the lower
quarters. Find one and coax it to you.  Unless it
is owned already, bring it back here and we shall find a place to kennel them.”
         One of the other priests, one only a few
years his senior and obviously resentful for
having been placed under Felsah’s tutelage,
flinched back from Rakka’s dusty fur and scowled.
“Why bring them back?  They’ll just foul the temple.”
         “And you will clean up after them as you
would yourself,” Felsah replied with
patience.  “Mizrahek often did such a kindness for this animal; so can you.”
         “But why do this at all?” another
younger Questioner asked.  This one had a severe
frown, much like the one Akaleth often wore.
         “Because kindness is one of the most
powerful tools any can ever use.  A surprising
kindness can do more to disarm those you
Question, then any whip or screw.  A kindness
like I have done to this dog changed a
Rebuilder’s murderous hatred into respect, and
did far more to loosen his tongue than anything
else I could have done.  I am not asking you to
adopt a dog for the sake of the dog, although
they will be well cared for here, but for your
own sakes.  Both to inflame the virtue of charity
in your hearts, and to improve your abilities as Questioners.  Now go.”
         The twelve climbed to their feet and
left the room.  Felsah watched them go as he pet
the dog.  Rakka nudged at his other hand with his
nose.  Felsah smiled freely and scratched the
pleasant dog behind his ears.  He wondered how
many of the twelve would think to bring some food
for the strays they found.  He’d give them a
couple nights of failure and getting bitten
before telling them his secrets.  It was better
they learn from a dog than from a man, even if he
looked like a fox, with a very big axe.
         Felsah laughed and wondered what Madog was doing.

         “Do not lie to me,” the Questioner
postulant declared to the other Questioner
postulant who was pretending to be the subject of
a Questioning.  Akaleth and the other postulants
sat cross-legged on the floor in a circle around
them and watched, carefully listening to the
exchange.  Felsah had given both men a bit of
information about the case and had instructed
them to play their parts as authentically as
possible.  It had taken a few days to convince
them that they would not be sinning by doing so,
but now that they believed him, he could teach
them through experience how to better fulfill their role as Questioners.
         “I’m not lying!” the one being
Questioned declared hotly. “I’m telling you the truth!”
         “We know that you have been making
illicit translations of the Canticles and perverting their meaning!”
         “But I haven’t done that at all!”
         Akaleth held up one hand and
coughed.  Both postulants turned to him, their
faces still writ with anger.  If he didn’t put a
stop to it sooner he feared both young hotheads
would come to fisticuffs. “You have forgotten one of the lessons I told you.”
         “What is that, Father Akaleth?” the
Questioning postulant asked.  Akaleth recalled
his name to be Yonas, and the one being
Questioned Mousuf.  Both had the bronzed skin and
dark hair common to the Holy Land, just as Akaleth did.
         “Yonas, you must never forget that what
you are told, or what you think before beginning
a Questioning, may not be the truth.  Not that
you were lied to, but that those who instructed
you were mistaken, or had incomplete
information.  That is the purpose behind a
Questioning, to learn what is true.  If during
your Questioning you discover that what you
thought to be the case is inaccurate, discard it
and accept what is true.  Otherwise you will
never be able to Question properly.”
         Mousuf looked relieved, but Yonas’s face
narrowed. “But how will I know the truth when everyone lies to Questioners?”
         “Be charitable,” Akaleth said, his face
set in a thin line.  How long had it taken him to
learn that lesson?  His wounds from Zagrosek’s
torture had long since healed, though his back
sported even more scars than his father had given
him. “You Question them not because they are
guilty, although you may learn that they are
during your Questioning, but because they know
things that you wish to learn.  It is your job to
obtain that information.  Thus, you must be
willing to be charitable.  They may be telling you the truth.”
         One of the other postulants raised his
hand and at Akaleth’s nod asked, “But how are we
to know when they speak truth and when they lie?”
         “First, you must have clarity.  Any
prejudices you have will only prevent you from
thinking dispassionately, which is fundamental in
your task.  Once those are gone, you can compare
what those you Question tell you, and what you
have learned prior to Questioning.  What do we
know about the truth?  It is incomparable.  If
you have two conflicting accounts, then you know
both of them cannot be true, or at least, they
cannot both be accurate in every detail.  Compare
them, and find what does not contrast.  What is
incomparable?  Only the truth should fall out of the sieve of your minds.”
         “So you wish us to practice charity,
clarity, and incomparability?” Yonas asked, the anger fading from his face.
         Akaleth nodded.  He rather liked the
sound of those three together.  He’d have to
think on them more. “Very good, Yonas.  Now,
continue with the lesson, and remember them!”  As
the postulants resumed, Akaleth reached his hand
into his sleeve and rubbed around his wrist where
once the whip had been.  He sighed, relieved that
Eli had at long last taken it from him.

----------

         Several times while they flew through
the smoke-filled air, Charles pondered whether he
should revert to flesh.  Even in his two-legged
form, he still weighed a few hundred pounds as
granite.  Guernef’s thigh was scarred where the
fiery wood had pierced it only two days before,
and the rat could see that scar pulling and
tearing as the great Nauh-kaee flew south to find
the Whalish fleet.  If Charles were flesh,
perhaps Guernef wouldn’t risk injuring himself.
         And then the rat remembered that as
flesh, he needed to breath.  Guernef seemed to be
able to keep a bubble of pure air around him as
he flew, but smoke from the explosion still
buffeted the rat from time to time.  He didn’t
want to think what that could do to his fleshy
form.  The few times those hot ashes had managed
to strike Guernef’s flanks they’d smoldered his
fur and feathers.  Better to stay granite and
hope that his friend’s wound didn’t open again.
         But after a few hours of flight in which
they watched the sea wash in and out of the inlet
the collapse of Marzac had created, winds in the
upper air began to break apart the smoke.  The
rat lifted his eyes and marvelled at the stars,
so still in their quiet but bright regard for
mankind.  Hard to believe that only hours before
they had spun like so much lace.  And now, with
the eastern horizon brightening with the promise
of a new dawn, the rat wondered how their friends fared.
         “Look,” Guernef chided him. “Ships.”
         Charles leaned forward and stared past
the Nauh-kaee’s shoulder at te sea below.  The
great wings spread on either side of him, while
his tail bounced in the air next to
Guernef’s.  But below them he could see a few
dozen vessels.  They were a mixed group.  He
recognized several Whalish dromonai as well as
their support craft.  But there were others too,
caravels, several galleass, and others he didn’t
recognize.  Many of them were flying white
pinions.  Was this the Marzac fleet Vigoreaux had spoken of?
         “Let’s move in closer.  Whalish vessels
always have mages.  Can you contact them and warn them we’re coming?”
         Guernef’s head bobbed as he turned his
wings.  The air rushed over his back.  He felt
the vine burrowing its roots even deeper in his
stony flesh. “I will let you hear our words in your mind.  Now hold tight.”
         The rat tightened his claws in the
Nauh-kaee’s neck feathers and pressed his legs
more closely around his middle.  Below them the
ships slowly grew in size.  The rat felt delight
stir inside when he could make out individuals
moving across the decks.  And then several looked
up and began to scatter or draw their
bows.  Guernef beat his wings and circled them.
         Guernef’s voice resounded in the rat’s
mind. {Men of Whales.  We come seeking your aid.}
         {Who are you?} A man’s voice called
back.  The rat blinked, as the tone felt familiar to him.
         {We are Guernef of the Nauh-kaee, and
Charles Matthias of Metamor, come to seek your
assistance on behalf of our friends trapped in
the desolation left by Marzac’s destruction.}
         {Charles Matthias of Metamor?} The voice
seemed to ponder that for a moment. {Ah, the
rat!  What by all the gods are you doing down
here?  I have not heard from you since we escaped
from Arabarb.} The rat’s ears lifted and he
blinked. {You knew me then.  It is I,
Aramaes!  Never mind how you came here.  Just
land where I show you and we’ll discuss the rest face to face.}
         The rat laughed a bit.  He remembered
the mage Aramaes.  A good man who’d been
proficient in the creation of charms to keep rats
off the ship.  He wondered if he still served
under Captain Ptomamus, the man with the unfortunate allergy to rat fur.
         “You best return to your fleshy form ere we land,” Guernef advised.
         The rat nodded, seeing the wisdom in
that.  As Guernef circled lower and lower toward
the largest of the dromonai, the rat enjoy the
feel of the cool sea air whipping through his fur.

----------

         The sky overhead was a deep shade of
indigo splashed with dawning blue when Phil and
Malger climbed onto the forecastle deck.  A large
table, the galley board, was affixed to the deck
and spread with a cloth of deep blue
linen.  Pewter plates and cutlery were laid out
and the last two bottles of Port from the
captain’s liquor cabinet stood beside pewter
chalices.   Folding chairs were scrounged from
below deck and the Captain’s cabin and Phil sat
upon one of the latter ornate constructs.  Malger
sat to his right and Rupert stood behind them
while the prisoners were brought up from the cabins below.
         In the lead was a man of aristocratic
air and physique; well toned bordering on a
slight softness given to one who issues orders
and does not exert himself terribly often.  He
was approaching middle age but the unshaven,
unkempt scruff of beard covering his strong jaw
did not show any graying.  Striking blue eyes
took in Phil and Rupert at a glance and went wide
in surprise causing the man to stop half way up
the steep stair from the main deck.  The man
behind him was likewise brought to a blind halt
while on the deck below one of the Whalish
sailors gave a curt order for them to keep climbing.
         “What devilry is this?” the leader
grumbled irritably, moving again at the insistent
poke from the butt of the soldier’s spear.  “Has
the world gone wholly over to demons?”
         Phil bridled slightly but held his
retort, only the backing of his tall ears
indicating the degree of his irritation.  Rupert
flexed the thick arms folded across his chest
causing the poorly mended orange of his uniform
to creak in protest.  Malger leaned forward without rising.
         “How many demons do you see?”  The
illusion-clad marten asked sharply with a glance
over the deck, “I see none but mortals who have
sacrificed much to preserve your lives.   They
are your conquerors, sailor, be their form
perhaps different from any you have seen
before.  You demand parlay, and he has shown the
forbearance to hear your words, so speak wisely or swim.”
         The bearded men shuffled toward the
chairs set across the table from Phil and after a
few moments settled into him.  The second man was
thin to the point of emaciation.  His gaze was
intense and direct, full of wrath at being the
captive instead of the captor.  Both looked, and
smelled, as if they had not bathed since Marzac’s
touch found them.  Phil steepled his paws before
his nose, whiskers twitching and ears swiveling
forward alertly.  “Please, we are all persons of
station here, so let us conduct ourselves accordingly.  Who are you, sirs?”
         The speaker’s attention shifted from
Malger to Phil with a beetling of his
brow.  Despite being seated in the previous
Captain’s own deck chair centred across the table
from them, with Malger at his right and a
bodyguard behind him the man had not expected
Phil to speak, let alone command the parley.  The
man’s jaw muscles jumped and clenched for several
seconds while he came to grips with the oddness
of being addressed by an animal.  “I am Darius,
of Ershorn.”  He tilted his head to the man
seated at his own side, “Gregor, of Brekaris.”
         “Of what houses, gentlemen?” Phil
lowered his hands to the tabletop but did not
make any reach for the unopened bottles sitting
between them. “That we would know to whom we
should send our couriers detailing your fates.”
         The one who named himself Darius rolled
his shoulders in stubborn pride, “I would know
with what beasts we treat, and under whose flag we now find ourselves.”
         Phil chuffed irritably, “As you
demand.  I am Phillip Tenomides, Prince of Whales.”
         “I am Malger dae ross Sutt, Arch Duke of
Western Pyralia.” Malger intoned blandly,
worrying the tip of one finger lazily as if bored of the interview.
         “Sutt?  That line is broken.” The man
named Gregor hissed angrily.  “Many paid with
blood and gold to stop the disease that was Sutt, a decade gone now!”
         “Blood and gold invested wisely, Gregor
of Brekaris.  I am not my sire, but it is to
Prince Phil you owe the debt of your
lives.”  Malger made a short wave toward Phil with one hand.
         Before Gregor could continue a hateful
diatribe accounting the evils of Malger’s sire
Darius raised a hand and forestalled him with a
curt slicing motion.  “As it may, Duke.” He eyed
Malger dubiously and then Phil, weighing their
words.  “Regardless, this ship and its crew are
in your hands.”  With a resigned sigh and a slump
of weary shoulders Darius seemed to shrink upon
himself slightly.  “Say on then.  I am of House Egland, and Gregor is of
”
         “House La’Dorine, last of my own line.”
Gregor growled, never taking his eyes off of Malger.  “Falshon Sutt
”
         “Enough, Gregor!” Darius snapped, “Your
grievances are not for this table, it is the
lives of our crew we treat for, not past
wrongs.”  Gregor’s mouth worked wordlessly for a
few more seconds before he fell into a sullen
silence.  Darius looked back to Phil, “What are your intentions for the crew?”
         “The taint upon you does seem to appear to be lifted, and if
”
         “Taint?” Darius interrupted with a scowl.
         Phil nodded, “You sailed too closely to
the shores of Chateau Marzac.  A dark radiance
has spread from that accursed place and captures
the minds of those who venture too closely,
turning them to its own dark ends.  Under that
taint you commanded an armada of similarly turned
vessels and sought to destroy Whales.”
         Darius shrank even further into himself,
“I recall something of these crimes, but only in
fitful flashes of poor memory.  My last clear
recollection was
” he thought for a moment, “We
encountered a Whalish Drom and a Tournemire
carrack engaging a merchant vessel and pursued
them toward the horn of Marzac.  After that,
everything becomes a nightmarish fog.”  He rubbed
his dirty face with both hands, torn with
anguish.  “What crimes have we conducted under
this taint you claim?  What other empires have we set ourselves against?”
         “You have committed no crimes of your
own free will, Darius.  This is not a tribunal of
judgment.” Phil waved a placating hand quickly to
forestall the man’s spiralling descent into
crushing guilt.  “As I said, the taint of Marzac
did this to you.  Nor are you gentlemen alone in
being liberated from Marzac’s dark touch.  The
last of the fleet surrendered to our forces a few
hours past and they too shall not be held account for the crimes committed.”
         Phil lowered his paws to the table and
offered both men his firmest smile. “But for now,
go below and attend to your men, let them know
that they will receive pardons dependent upon
their behavior until we make port in Whales.”
         Darius levered himself to his feet and
saluted smartly, “Until you return us to Pyralian
custody we are your men, Prince Phil of Whales,
rabbit or man or
 whatever you are.  You still know honour.”
         “If your men accede to Whalish orders,
Captain Darius, have them take oar alongside the
men of Whales and make all due speed eastward.”
         “It shall be done.”  Darius, with Gregor
close at his heels, made his way toward the
stair.  Malger stood quickly and moved to join them.
         “Darius, if I might ask, do you have a brother?”
         Gregor gave Malger a hard glare but said
nothing when Darius came to a stop at the head of
the stair, skirting around the Pyralian captain
and continuing to make his way toward the nearest
companionway.  Members of the Whalish watch
accompanied him.  “I did, Duke.  He perished when
the Patriarch made an ill considered pilgrimage
to the demon-touched kingdom of Metamor.”
         Malger came to stand at the railing and
gave the man a level stare.  “Do you see any
demons aboard this ship, Darius?  What of the
white rabbit you just saluted and commended for honor?”
         Darius scowled and tipped his head, “I
cannot say what is demon or not, I dare not trust
what I see after
 what has happened.”
         “Whales sent a diplomatic envoy to
Metamor years ago, to establish treaties of trade
and knowledge.  When war came to Metamor that man
stayed, fighting alongside people in a land
foreign to his home.  He suffered the same fate
as they.” Malger explained slowly, looking down
to the deck a few steps down from the forecastle.
         Vexed, Darius sighed heavily and waited
for Malger’s point to be made.  “Their fate?”
         “Cursed.  Changed, some becoming a
mixture of man and animal, and suffering greatly for it.”
         “And yonder prince was that diplomat, and in that war he was changed?”
         “For the honor you complimented he has
been forever changed.  Would you still label him as a demon?”
         Darius shook his head, clutching the top
posts of the stair with both hands and leaning
forward wearily.  “No, Duke, I cannot.”  He
pushed himself back upright and turned to meet
Malger’s gaze.  “Why do you ask of my brother?  He is deceased, as I said.”
         Malger shook his head slowly, never
taking his eyes from the Darius’ gaze.  “He
lives, though like Phil he has been changed by
the curse that still lingers upon the kingdom.”
         Darius frowned, “You have seen
him?  Seen him since the Patriarch’s murder?”  He
paused and swallowed heavily, “He was not party to that, I pray?”
         “I have, I know him well.” Malger smiled
reassuringly, “And he was not.  The death of the
Patriarch weighed heavily upon him, and still
does, but he has found a purpose to continue.  He
can never return to Yesulam, because of Metamor’s
touch, but he is still a person of honor and strength.”
         Darius scrutinized Malger closely for
several seconds, “How be it you are not touched, if Phil and my brother were?”
         Raising a hand Malger grasped the
sailor’s shoulder firmly, “I was, Captain Egland,
I was.”  He dropped his hand and turned toward
the table, “Your men will need your wisdom and
leadership below, Darius.  When you have seen to
their needs we can continue our
conversation.”  He paused and looked back over
his shoulder, “Oh, and have your men release the
stores.  Many of us would sorely like to make use of some soap.”
         Darius’s confusion turned to mild
laughter and he nodded. “It will be done.  I fear
we may not have enough for all in its need.”
         As the brother to the elk Yacoub
departed for the hold, Malger heard the mage
Reishel accost Phil in frantic voice. “Your
highness!  Word from Aramaes!  I scarcely believe
what he told me, but he said you would know of whom he spoke.”
         Curious, Malger came behind the white
rabbit who leaned back on his haunches to hear
the harried and exhausted mage’s report. “What is it, Reishel?”
         “Only minutes ago, two creatures landed
on board the Burning Hand.  One of them is a
great white gryphon named Guernef.  The other
says he knows you, your Highness.  A man in the
shape of a brown rat calling himself Charles Matthias.”
         Malger blinked in surprise.  Not even
Nocturna had warned him of this!  Prince Phil
looked as if he’d been punched in the gut.  His
ears folded behind his head and his speech came
in ragged gasps. “Charles?  What is he doing here?”
         “Aramaes says that a group of
Metamorians and their allies are trapped on what
is left of the Marzac peninsula.  And he says
that it is they who defeated Marzac.  They come seeking our aid.”
         Phil jumped a foot in the air in his
excitement. “Then give it!  Captain
Whiett!  Change our course!  We head north to
Marzac.  North to Marzac!”  Malger smiled and
shook his head.  Just how many Keepers were involved here anyway?